Malik Jackson or Calais Campbell in 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malik Jackson or Calais Campbell in 2019

Looking at Jax and the state of turmoil that they're in and the potential trading and releasing of some of their heavy contracts going into 2019. What's the odd that we could end up with MJ back along with CC for the 2019 season?
    #swapping

Malik Jackson is only 28 years old. I'd take him back in a hurry.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
      This is what I'm looking at. I looked at their numbers on Spotrac, and it looks like they both have huge numbers is Jax keep them but massive savings if they're cut. But I'm no expert, that's why I'm asking. I know MJ wanted his money and he made it, but we could probably get him on a more approachable deal in 2019. And CC wanted to come to Den, but the JAX money is understandable, especially with the lack of income tax.

Even Dareus is a potential casualty! They really tried to load up for these last 2 seasons.
      #swapping

Comment

Originally posted by flosstein View Post
        Looking at Jax and the state of turmoil that they're in and the potential trading and releasing of some of their heavy contracts going into 2019. What's the odd that we could end up with MJ back along with CC for the 2019 season?
        Interesting. Perhaps some of that depends on what Elway thinks of DeMarcus Walker and Adam Gotsis. The draft is also filled with D-line talent. All that being said I would love to have him back at a reasonable contract.

Comment

Originally posted by gerontion View Post
          Interesting. Perhaps some of that depends on what Elway thinks of DeMarcus Walker and Adam Gotsis. The draft is also filled with D-line talent. All that being said I would love to have him back at a reasonable contract.
          With this draft having so much high end talent along the dline this may increase the talent level in the FA class as some teams may convince themselves to go with the potential at a lower price.

Personally I hope it convinces Elway to at least cut Wolfe if he can’t trade him. I think Gotsis offers us everything Wolfe does at a fraction of the cost.
          Last edited by beastlyskronk; 11-26-2018, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
            I'd Jackson back and let Wolfe walk with the way Gotsis is playing

Comment

I'd prefer Denver re-sign Shelby Harris + Zach Kerr, and instead sign DE Jadeveon Clowney (H: 6-5 W: 270 age 26)
              + DT Jordan Phillips (H: 6-6 W: 341 age 27) if they hit FA.

Draft:
              DL Corbin Kaufusi '19 R4 BYU (H: 6-8 W: 275)

Chubb - Gotsis - Harris - Clowney
              Kaufusi - Phillips - Walker - Kerr

The '18 trade of WR Thomas (roughly 14M in '19) + future release of DE Wolfe (8.5M) +
              ILB Marshall (5M) = DE Clowney (roughly 23M) right around Aaron Donald's cap.

A starting "R1 QB" (under a rookie contract for five years) makes this scenario more plausible.

Comment

Originally posted by mozzerpete View Post
                I'd prefer Denver re-sign Shelby Harris + Zach Kerr, and instead sign DE Jadeveon Clowney (H: 6-5 W: 270 age 26)
                + DT Jordan Phillips (H: 6-6 W: 341 age 27) if they hit FA.

Draft:
                DL Corbin Kaufusi '19 R4 BYU (H: 6-8 W: 275)

Chubb - Gotsis - Harris - Clowney
                Kaufusi - Phillips - Walker - Kerr

The '18 trade of WR Thomas (roughly 14M in '19) + future release of DE Wolfe (8.5M) +
                ILB Marshall (5M) = DE Clowney (roughly 23M) right around Aaron Donald's cap.

A starting "R1 QB" (under a rookie contract for five years) makes this scenario more plausible.
                wheres miller in this? i feel not having one of the best pass rushers in the league at DE in a 4-3 is a terrible idea, have him play slb and cover over half the time. his natural position is a DE in the 4-3. i don't think i would start Clowney over Miller or Chubb as a 4-3 DE. but thats just me. he also hasn't played well enough for a top end pass rushing contact.

his best year looks like a Von Miller off year and chubb is .5 sacks away in his rookie from clowneys best year of sacks. all i feel this does in the long run is down grade the pass rush.
                Last edited by Kyousukeneko; 11-26-2018, 11:47 PM.
                sigpic
                oakland raders gm
                latavis murray trade bait

Comment

We're going to need a better DC to attract these upcoming FAs.
                  :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                  sigpic

Comment

We need a real force at NT, if Grady Jarrett becomes available we need to land him somehow. I would love to have Jackson back, but also like our current crop of DEs with Gotsis, Harris, and Wolfe and Walker. I don’t think DE is an immediate need, but NT is.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
                      wheres miller in this? i feel not having one of the best pass rushers in the league at DE in a 4-3 is a terrible idea, have him play slb and cover over half the time. his natural position is a DE in the 4-3. i don't think i would start Clowney over Miller or Chubb as a 4-3 DE. but thats just me. he also hasn't played well enough for a top end pass rushing contact.

his best year looks like a Von Miller off year and chubb is .5 sacks away in his rookie from clowneys best year of sacks. all i feel this does in the long run is down grade the pass rush.
                      I understand your points, and they are all valid.
                      However, at one point Denver had Miller, Ray, Barrett, and Ware on its roster.

I am sure NFL coaches could find a way to plug in Miller, Chubb, and Ware (I mean Clowney) together.

On a side note, reading the posts on this message board over the past few years has made me aware that labeling schemes as strictly "3-4, 3-3-5, 4-3" seems antiquated given the fact most defenses play nickel more than they are in base.
                      Perhaps this started when the league changed to more of a passing league?

All I know is I hope we make the playoffs and win it all.

Comment

Originally posted by mozzerpete View Post
                        I understand your points, and they are all valid.
                        However, at one point Denver had Miller, Ray, Barrett, and Ware on its roster.

I am sure NFL coaches could find a way to plug in Miller, Chubb, and Ware (I mean Clowney) together.

On a side note, reading the posts on this message board over the past few years has made me aware that labeling schemes as strictly "3-4, 3-3-5, 4-3" seems antiquated given the fact most defenses play nickel more than they are in base.
                        Perhaps this started when the league changed to more of a passing league?

All I know is I hope we make the playoffs and win it all.
                        i just don't see the point in paying top dollar to some one who has played average to above average, when we have 2 guys that are just as good, and we have glaring weakness like CB or O-line. we should be spending money on over hings such as a edge rusher. i don't get the point of building up a point of strength when we need other positions. i also think it is a recipe for disaster to spend 40+k on 2 players in position when we have signs of weakness we could use and fix for partial parts of that moneys
                        sigpic
                        oakland raders gm
                        latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
                          i just don't see the point in paying top dollar to some one who has played average to above average, when we have 2 guys that are just as good, and we have glaring weakness like CB or O-line. we should be spending money on over hings such as a edge rusher. i don't get the point of building up a point of strength when we need other positions. i also think it is a recipe for disaster to spend 40+k on 2 players in position when we have signs of weakness we could use and fix for partial parts of that moneys
                          I prefer Denver sign Rodgers or Brady for that type of money in FA, but they are not available.
                          IMO, Denver should solidify their DL + OL which inevitably will help our passing game and DBs on defense.

However, this thread was about "improving the DL."
                          I wanted to include Clowney in this conversation as another potential FA addition.

DE Jadeveon Clowney + DT/NT Grady Jarrett + DT Jordan Phillips would be my preferred signings in FA for the DL.

It seems you're caught up on money which is totally understandable.
                          What would you offer DE Jadeveon Clowney in FA or any DLmen you prefer for that matter?

Comment

Originally posted by Houshmazode View Post
                            We're going to need a better DC to attract these upcoming FAs.
                            Not necessarily. Malik Jackson picked Jacksonville over Denver even though Wade was still the DC. It was about the money. Campbell also picked Jacksonville over Denver because of the money.

Comment

Originally posted by gerontion View Post
                              Not necessarily. Malik Jackson picked Jacksonville over Denver even though Wade was still the DC. It was about the money. Campbell also picked Jacksonville over Denver because of the money.
                              That's one of the points of my question. They both got their big paydays, twice in CC's case. They may want to actually win now (again for Malik)!
                              #swapping

Comment

Working...
                              X