Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick Cap Breakdown with potential cuts and re-signings.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Quick Cap Breakdown with potential cuts and re-signings.

    According to overthecap.com we will have about 38 mil in cap space to begin 2019 Free Agency prior to any signings.


    Some potential cuts to look out for.


    Player: Cap Savings if cut (Dead Cap Hit)

    Case Keenum: 11 mil (10 mil)
    Keenum hasn't played well enough to be our QB solution. I think it's clear we are going to draft a QB early, and I would count this as not likely to happen, but we could cut ties with Keenum and simply start fresh. Plus if a new coach comes in they may want a completely new QB room to work with. If Keenum stays he could be useful as a stop gap while whoever we draft gets up to speed.
    Cut Likelihood: 15%

    Emmanuel Sanders: 10.25 mil (2.68 mil)
    Sanders has been a great player for us, but coming off an injury, plus with young players at the position, plus with us probably in a rebuilding mode are three factors that could combine to lead us releasing Sanders. If we feel good about him coming back from his injury I think there's still a good chance he remains, but an extra 10 mil in cap space could be beneficial based on what we end up trying to do.
    Cut Likelihood: 40%

    Derek Wolfe: 8.55 mil (2.37 mil)
    Similar situation to Sanders except not coming off a major injury. I don't count this being likely to happen, but because of the potential cap savings it could be an option depending on how aggressive we want to be in FA.
    Cut Likelihood: 5%

    Ronald Leary: 7.46 mil (1.75 mil)
    I feel like we will really re-tool the Oline, but this time through the draft. Leary has only played 17 games in the past 2 seasons for us.
    Cut Likelihood: 90%

    Brandon Marshall: 5 mil (4 mil)
    Marshall hasn't looked like his old self in awhile, I think we look elsewhere to find a partner for Davis in the middle
    Cut Likelihood: 85%

    Darian Stewart: 3.6 mil (2.8 mil)
    Stewart doesn't have the range to be a starting quality safety for us anymore. I think we try to open up an opportunity for Parks to step in and start.
    Cut Likelihood: 90%

    Andre Holmes: 1.4 mil (0 mil)
    We picked up Holmes when Sanders went down and while there's a chance he could be a decent option for us I don't think it's likely he stays with us next year.
    Cut Likelihood: 95%




    So with the cuts I've outlined as very likely (Leary, Marshall, Stewart, Holmes), we would have about 55-56 mil in cap space to work with.



    Our current 2019 Unrestricted Free Agents are:

    Jared Veldheer
    Domata Peko
    Tramaine Brock
    Matt Paradis
    Shaquil Barrett
    Shane Ray
    Billy Turner
    Bradley Roby
    Zach Kerr
    Jamar Taylor
    Gino Gradkowski
    Jeff Heuerman
    Max Garcia

    Our Current 2019 Restricted Free Agents are:

    Shelby Harris
    Deiontrez Mount
    Casey Kreiter
    Jordan Taylor
    Kevin Hogan

    ERFA:
    Brian Parker
    Joseph Jones
    Jerrol Garcia-Williams
    Elijah Wilkinson
    Matt LaCosse
    Tim Patrick
    Dymonte Thomas

    From my view, finding a way to keep Shelby Harris and Shaq Barrett will be key. Harris' case is more straightforward. As a RFA we can tender him. My guess is we give him a second round tender which would give him a contract of 3.1 mil. Barrett will be tricky. I'm guessing we would offer him something along the lines of a 3 year 12 mil contract. However if a team is willing to give him a starting job and a contract to reflect that I don't think we would be able to match it. He could end up getting a 4 year 30 mil contract in that scenario.

    Another big question will be Roby. I'm not sure what his asking price would be to re-sign with us. He hasn't been anywhere near an elite corner, granted it's his first year as a full time starter so maybe he still can grow into a top level corner, but if we sign him I don't think he's getting much more than 8 mil per season from us. It's possible we could give him a 1 year prove it deal for about 7 mil if he wants to establish himself as an elite corner before trying to get a long term deal in 2020.

    The decision on Paradis will largely be based on health. But if we feel good about his health, that means everyone else will as well and he could be one of the top FA centers on the market. It would likely take about a 9 mil per year contract to get him re-signed if that's the case. We might decide to go for a cheaper option or go to the draft to find a center.

    So assuming Harris, Barrett, Roby, and Paradis are back with us at the values I've listed, and with the likely cuts we'd be back at 32 mil in cap space to work with in Free Agency.
    A book I wrote

  • #2
    Originally posted by CTM View Post
    According to overthecap.com we will have about 38 mil in cap space to begin 2019 Free Agency prior to any signings.


    Some potential cuts to look out for.


    Player: Cap Savings if cut (Dead Cap Hit)

    Case Keenum: 11 mil (10 mil)
    Keenum hasn't played well enough to be our QB solution. I think it's clear we are going to draft a QB early, and I would count this as not likely to happen, but we could cut ties with Keenum and simply start fresh. Plus if a new coach comes in they may want a completely new QB room to work with. If Keenum stays he could be useful as a stop gap while whoever we draft gets up to speed.
    Cut Likelihood: 15%

    Emmanuel Sanders: 10.25 mil (2.68 mil)
    Sanders has been a great player for us, but coming off an injury, plus with young players at the position, plus with us probably in a rebuilding mode are three factors that could combine to lead us releasing Sanders. If we feel good about him coming back from his injury I think there's still a good chance he remains, but an extra 10 mil in cap space could be beneficial based on what we end up trying to do.
    Cut Likelihood: 40%

    Derek Wolfe: 8.55 mil (2.37 mil)
    Similar situation to Sanders except not coming off a major injury. I don't count this being likely to happen, but because of the potential cap savings it could be an option depending on how aggressive we want to be in FA.
    Cut Likelihood: 5%

    Ronald Leary: 7.46 mil (1.75 mil)
    I feel like we will really re-tool the Oline, but this time through the draft. Leary has only played 17 games in the past 2 seasons for us.
    Cut Likelihood: 90%

    Brandon Marshall: 5 mil (4 mil)
    Marshall hasn't looked like his old self in awhile, I think we look elsewhere to find a partner for Davis in the middle
    Cut Likelihood: 85%

    Darian Stewart: 3.6 mil (2.8 mil)
    Stewart doesn't have the range to be a starting quality safety for us anymore. I think we try to open up an opportunity for Parks to step in and start.
    Cut Likelihood: 90%

    Andre Holmes: 1.4 mil (0 mil)
    We picked up Holmes when Sanders went down and while there's a chance he could be a decent option for us I don't think it's likely he stays with us next year.
    Cut Likelihood: 95%




    So with the cuts I've outlined as very likely (Leary, Marshall, Stewart, Holmes), we would have about 55-56 mil in cap space to work with.



    Our current 2019 Unrestricted Free Agents are:

    Jared Veldheer
    Domata Peko
    Tramaine Brock
    Matt Paradis
    Shaquil Barrett
    Shane Ray
    Billy Turner
    Bradley Roby
    Zach Kerr
    Jamar Taylor
    Gino Gradkowski
    Jeff Heuerman
    Max Garcia

    Our Current 2019 Restricted Free Agents are:

    Shelby Harris
    Deiontrez Mount
    Casey Kreiter
    Jordan Taylor
    Kevin Hogan

    ERFA:
    Brian Parker
    Joseph Jones
    Jerrol Garcia-Williams
    Elijah Wilkinson
    Matt LaCosse
    Tim Patrick
    Dymonte Thomas

    From my view, finding a way to keep Shelby Harris and Shaq Barrett will be key. Harris' case is more straightforward. As a RFA we can tender him. My guess is we give him a second round tender which would give him a contract of 3.1 mil. Barrett will be tricky. I'm guessing we would offer him something along the lines of a 3 year 12 mil contract. However if a team is willing to give him a starting job and a contract to reflect that I don't think we would be able to match it. He could end up getting a 4 year 30 mil contract in that scenario.

    Another big question will be Roby. I'm not sure what his asking price would be to re-sign with us. He hasn't been anywhere near an elite corner, granted it's his first year as a full time starter so maybe he still can grow into a top level corner, but if we sign him I don't think he's getting much more than 8 mil per season from us. It's possible we could give him a 1 year prove it deal for about 7 mil if he wants to establish himself as an elite corner before trying to get a long term deal in 2020.

    The decision on Paradis will largely be based on health. But if we feel good about his health, that means everyone else will as well and he could be one of the top FA centers on the market. It would likely take about a 9 mil per year contract to get him re-signed if that's the case. We might decide to go for a cheaper option or go to the draft to find a center.

    So assuming Harris, Barrett, Roby, and Paradis are back with us at the values I've listed, and with the likely cuts we'd be back at 32 mil in cap space to work with in Free Agency.
    i wouldn't count on keeping Barrett. expecially at that deal. pass rushers get maximum and he has shown well on tape. he has shown better then ray. but i feel he like he is a great run stuffer. below average pass rusher. i think you could look at the film and he pops well next to miller so i think teams will value him as an average pass rusher and Olivier Vernon can get the contract he did. and Paul Kruger can get the contract he did. i wouldn't expect to retain Barrett for under 10m. plus i would like to see more of Jeff Holland. i think he has a bigger upside so i am fine with letting both Ray and Barrett walk and move with Holland as our third Edge Rusher. I don't think they will be worth the deal they get on the open market at all. Due to being pass rushers.
    sigpic
    oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

    Comment


    • #3
      I just don’t see how Wolfe stays on this team at that salary, I think he’s prime trade bait or a candidate to restructure. 1.5 sacks and 6 QB hits all season? That just isn’t good value.

      Comment


      • #4
        Stew, Marsh, and Holmes are gone for sure. Wolfe and Leary will need to restructure to stay. Leary is going to be a hard one because when he does play he is prob our best o lineman so our leverage outside of him getting hurt isn’t good. Depending on the market and Draft there’s a chance Keenum is gone too.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
          I just don’t see how Wolfe stays on this team at that salary, I think he’s prime trade bait or a candidate to restructure. 1.5 sacks and 6 QB hits all season? That just isn’t good value.
          I'm of the opinion that Wolfe's presence does a lot to help out our edge rushers. Of course the coaches and FO have a much better view of what they ask players to do so it's tough for me to say that with any level of certainty, but especially with the addition of Chubb I just think there is a lot of production that Wolfe enables but he doesn't necessarily collect for himself.
          A book I wrote

          Comment


          • #6
            Wolfe sign a team friendly deal. No way he gets released. D lineman with his production are getting 15 to 17 million. Malik Jackson took off whIle Wolfe stayed at half price.
            Last edited by conannilsen; 12-27-2018, 02:04 PM. Reason: Typo
            2016 GM for the Buffalo Bills.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by conannilsen View Post
              Wolfe sign a team friendly deal. No way he gets released. D lineman with his production are getting 15 to 17 million. Malik Jackson took off whIle Wolfe stayed at half price.
              What dlineman is getting his contract and only posting 1.5 sacks?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                I just don’t see how Wolfe stays on this team at that salary, I think he’s prime trade bait or a candidate to restructure. 1.5 sacks and 6 QB hits all season? That just isn’t good value.
                Especially given his injury history and the emergence of Gotsis and Harris. Oh, and fact DL in first round is arguably BPA when we pick in the 9-12 range.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
                  Especially given his injury history and the emergence of Gotsis and Harris. Oh, and fact DL in first round is arguably BPA when we pick in the 9-12 range.
                  i am all on The Devin White first round and then a Ryan Finaly second

                  lets go broncos
                  sigpic
                  oakland raders gm
                  latavis murray trade bait

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
                    i am all on The Devin White first round and then a Ryan Finaly second

                    lets go broncos
                    Finley yuck, he's so average, if we didnt go QB, Devin White would be a great pick.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Keenum- Not sure they cut him, dont really have anyone to replace him unless they went FA market again.
                      Sanders- Tough decision there, depends how he rehabs, but they could ask him to re-do his deal with incentives.
                      Wolfe- Has been a great player but given what hes getting paid, Denver can do better.
                      Leary- Back to back season ending injuries but dont really have a replacement.
                      Stew/Marshall/Holmes- Probably cut.

                      Denver does have some payroll flexibility which they havent had in past FA's. They at least have money for one impact free agent, possibly two if Elway doesnt go cheap.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X