This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jonny_Quest View Post
    26th pick in the draft is not a major investment for a QB. Stings a little but it's not the end of the world.

A low second rounder is definitely not a high draft choice for a QB. That's developmental QB territory.
    I would tend to agree with this, especially in Osweiler's case since he proved to be an important backup in 2015. With Lynch, it's not so much the draft capital we expended, but rather the time wasted with him and Trevor Siemian.

Comment

• Originally posted by WYBRONCO
      What hurts about Osweiler is knowing we passed on Nick Foles and especially Russel Wilson to take him. Siemian was a fantastic find for a 7th round QB.
      It took a Peyton Manning to come off the bench during the worst season of his career, when he had lost all of his physical skills, to save our season, and to win us a Superbowl. Osweiler is the quintessential definition of a HUGE 2nd Round mistake. Can a 2nd Round QB be considered a "Bust"? I guess it depends on your definition. He certainly was, and is, a BUST as an NFL QB. And imagine what this team could have done with the Osweiler and Lynch picks if we knew then what we know now. And ain't "20/20 hindsight" great! Ha ha.

And now John Elway is in a similar position of having to decide if the Broncos throw ANOTHER Top Pick at another college QB in someone of Lock's ilk. I don't know what anybody else would do, but if I were John Elway after two big mistakes, I'd be very hesitant to do that again. It's like my Dad used to say, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

Comment

• Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
        Do we wait until next year when the QB class is supposed to be better?

Is it better to pass on drafting a QB this year and wait until someone like Jake Fromm is out?
        Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
        The million dollar question. And that's what makes it so tough for the Broncos. They've missed on two "high draft choice" QBs in Lynch and Osweiler. And I suspect that makes Elway a little gunshy on throwing a #10 on another QB "toss of the dice".

The fact is that nobody, from the people Posting on this Board to the Front Office paid professionals, knows how any QB prospect is going to turn out, while at other positions (as with Chubb) you have some idea about what you actually have.

Makes it fun to watch.
        As gt states....it's never a given. I forget the stats, but I am pretty sure that it's 50/50 at best for any first round QB. We've seen some really good ones the last few seasons....Wentz (when healthy), Goff, Mahomes...probably Mayfield and at least one other from last year's draft. But it's a risk. The great news, not like it was before they "rightsized" rookie contracts....ie. Jamarcus Russell.

As for us.....it could be partly because we did not select wisely with Lynch and Siemian. Regardless, one other issue is that we pick 10th this year, due to a fairly unsuccessful season. Say we have a better year, and end up with a pick in the 20s for example. Do we get the guy we really want at 20 or beyond? Maybe, but more doubtful unless there are more quality QBs available, OR less teams are looking OR we sell the draft capital farm and move way up!

Still a risk. Another year to wait...maybe 2 or 3 for some actual quality start time. Lots to consider. And for me, the longer we wait, the more we may have to pay attention to a D that may need more repairs than we need now.

So.....can you wait? If Elway is ok with Flacco for at least a couple years, we can wait. I am not so excited at the notion.
        Last edited by CanDB; 03-07-2019, 12:51 PM.

Comment

• Thread cleaned.

Let's keep to the OP.

Comment

• Originally posted by gerontion
            Technically, home field wasn't on the line that particular game. However, you had the two best AFC teams duking it out in a key regular season game. Both eventually ended up at 12-4. It was a victory that eventually helped Denver claim the #1 seed. Plus, Denver proved they had what it took to beat the Pats.
            Osweiler "folded like a lawn chair", as SMR81 mentioned above, when it came to the pressure of "crunch time". Could the Broncos have beaten New England if we had to play them on their own home field in the Playoffs? We'll never know. But, we barely beat them on our home field, and we won by virtue of a "no-call" of Pass Interference when our Defensive Backs interfered with Gronk in the end zone at the end of the game. THAT never would have happened in New England.

The point being that Drew Lock is an unlikely choice for a GM who has been bitten on the keester, TWICE, by picking QBs who were a waste of a 1st and 2nd Round Draft Pick.
            Last edited by gtown53; 03-07-2019, 12:58 PM.

Comment

• What hurts about Osweiler is knowing we passed on Nick Foles and especially Russel Wilson to take him.
              People keep saying this.

No one was pounding the table for Russel Wilson or Nick Foles pre-draft or on draft day. Like ever. The only pick that got more LOL emotes than Russel Wilson in the 3rd was the Jaguars picking a punter in the 3rd. I don't even think Seattle knew what they were getting.

A low second rounder on a developmental QB that doesn't pan out is no big deal. Blowing a #26 pick stings a little but it's not the travesty people seem to think it is.

I mean are people still broken up about the Sylvester Williams pick?

Comment

• Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
                Osweiler "folded like a lawn chair", as SMR81 mentioned above, when it came to the pressure of "crunch time". Could the Broncos have beaten New England if we had to play them on their own home field in the Playoffs? We'll never know. But, we barely beat them on our home field, and we won by virtue of a "no-call" of Pass Interference when our Defensive Backs interfered with Gronk in the end zone at the end of the game. THAT never would have happened in New England.

The point being that Drew Lock is an unlikely choice for a GM who has been bitten on the keester, TWICE, by picking QBs who were a waste of a 1st and 2nd Round Draft Pick.
                But that doesn't mean that you stop picking QBs. If you need one you draft until you find one.

Comment

• Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
                  It took a Peyton Manning to come off the bench during the worst season of his career, when he had lost all of his physical skills, to save our season, and to win us a Superbowl. Osweiler is the quintessential definition of a HUGE 2nd Round mistake. Can a 2nd Round QB be considered a "Bust"? I guess it depends on your definition. He certainly was, and is, a BUST as an NFL QB. And imagine what this team could have done with the Osweiler and Lynch picks if we knew then what we know now. And ain't "20/20 hindsight" great! Ha ha.

And now John Elway is in a similar position of having to decide if the Broncos throw ANOTHER Top Pick at another college QB in someone of Lock's ilk. I don't know what anybody else would do, but if I were John Elway after two big mistakes, I'd be very hesitant to do that again. It's like my Dad used to say, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
                  Manning had little to nothing to do with us winning the Super Bowl. Osweiler could have done what he did.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jonny_Quest View Post
                    People keep saying this.

No one was pounding the table for Russel Wilson or Nick Foles pre-draft or on draft day. Like ever. The only pick that got more LOL emotes than Russel Wilson in the 3rd was the Jaguars picking a punter in the 3rd. I don't even think Seattle knew what they were getting.

A low second rounder on a developmental QB that doesn't pan out is no big deal. Blowing a #26 pick stings a little but it's not the travesty people seem to think it is.

I mean are people still broken up about the Sylvester Williams pick?
                    I was. I even had him in mock draft to us that year.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
                      But that doesn't mean that you stop picking QBs. If you need one you draft until you find one.
                      "INSANITY" - doing the same thing, over and over, hoping the results will be different.

- Albert Einstein

John Elway is no "Einstein", but I'm betting that he's learned his lesson. In fact we have last years Draft as evidence of that. Elway could have moved up, or he could have Drafted Josh Rosen. He didn't do either.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                        So.....can you wait? If Elway is ok with Flacco for at least a couple years, we can wait. I am not so excited at the notion.
                        I don't think Flacco even has a couple of years. I'll be genuinely surprised if he can play all 16 games. If we draft a QB high this year, injury or poor play will bench him again.
                        Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

• Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
                          While I agree with the philosophy of drafting a QB every year I don’t agree with drafting just any QB in the first and leaving talent on the board because you need a QB.

I know you’re fond of Lock and Jones but I wouldn’t draft them over some of the guys that should be available when we pick. I’d like to draft a QB this year but I think we can get better value elsewhere in the first 2 or 3 rounds. Yes it’ll probably push us further away from a true franchise QB next season but if there’s a guy they like they’re going to have to pull the trigger and trade up. Or if they do think Lock can be that guy then take him but I personally don’t see him reaching the ceiling he has.

Comment

• With Foles likely signing with the Jags, Murray predicted to be drafted by AZ and Haskins to the Giants, Lock will likely be there at #10. I’m not a huge fan of Lock but could live with the pick. There is so much talent in the first two rounds of the draft I would be happy to build the roster with young talent. Whether it’s the offensive line, defensive line or secondary there are enough talented players to draft first year starters.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
                              I don't think Flacco even has a couple of years. I'll be genuinely surprised if he can play all 16 games. If we draft a QB high this year, injury or poor play will bench him again.
                              That's what worries me. These "seasoned' vets who are more likely to get injured. Yes, I can see a rookie, like Lock, stepping onto the field before the season ends. In that regard, this may be another "rebuild" season, but I'm all for it if we can find our future QB, and build a solid team on both sides of the ball. And that includes starting next week, with a healthy FA period. Cmon Elway, we got some money to spend. Lets land some quality players for a reasonably good price.

Comment

• I'm no expert, but I like what I've seen from Lock. He's got a good arm, and seems to be able to know when to throw it downfield. I think he'd be worth taking a chance on at # 10.

Comment

Working...
                                X