Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I do believe why Bortles would be more interested in the Rams than us.

I just don’t believe Elway is ever completely done looking at QB’s at 10 even if he signs another backup.

He may feel more comfortable in passing if the right qb isn’t there. But I think if he has a super high grade on a qb and they remain available he will pull the trigger. And someone else will be getting cut. Like maybe Hogan.
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
      I do believe why Bortles would be more interested in the Rams than us.

I just don’t believe Elway is ever completely done looking at QB’s at 10 even if he signs another backup.

He may feel more comfortable in passing if the right qb isn’t there. But I think if he has a super high grade on a qb and they remain available he will pull the trigger. And someone else will be getting cut. Like maybe Hogan.
      Totally agree. John seems to do everything he can in FA so he isn't forced to pick by need. That opens things up for him to make the picks he truly believes in/wants. I could totally see it.
      My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

• I like Lock, I have watched 14 full games from him over the past 2 years, he is a quality prospect with great physical skills, but I can't quite get over the inconsistency he displays on tape. For those who are all in on Lock, for those who want him, does this not worry you ? When you dig beyond the highlight videos on YouTube, the tape is really worrisome in my opinion.

For example, have you guys watched his performance against Kentucky this past season ? This was a mid-season game against a 6-1 football team, so he should of been clicking on all cylinders, and at times he was, but watching the game unfold, it's like watching 2 different players. In the first half, that Drew Lock, I would like to have him as my quarterback, and I would entertain using a first round pick on him. He stood tall in the pocket, he went through his progressions, he was accurate at the short and intermediate levels, and although he missed the long ball on bad throws, he showed off his physical talent.

Now, the same game, in the second half, after a very solid and productive opening to the game, the Tigers offense literally got zero first downs, none at all. Lock couldn't sustain any offense to even move the chains once, he fumbled twice, and the only passes completed were screen plays. The first half and the 14 points weren't enough, and despite having the ball twice inside 4 minutes to finish the game and throwing to seal it, Lock couldn't do it, and the Tigers defense gave up the game winning score to Kentucky. This inconsistent is a huge red flag to me, have any of you seen these same things I am seeing ?

Look then 2 weeks later in the game against South Carolina. Lock completed less than 50% of his throws at the very least, he was inaccurate from start to finish, missing high, low, behind guys, a couple of his long balls looked like punts, and he had 3 balls in the red zone he missed which should of been easy touchdowns, it wasn't great. I will say he did have some nice throws early which were fit into tight spaces where guys dropped the passes, I recall 3 actually where this happened. But again, just an inconsistent performance where his team lost by 2, and he threw one of the worse pick sixes I have ever seen, and he missed open touchdown passes within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage on 3 occasions.

It's hard to find a game actually where Lock comes out and consistently looks like a top prospect from start to finish. Lock is a skiddish player with exceptional talent that when it clicks, it looks great, but when it doesn't, it looks really bad. I would be okay with Lock at 10, I wouldn't love it, and I don't love Lock, but I can't seem to understand how anyone could be so sold on him to potentially suggest moving up to get him, especially if they have actually done the digging to witness the inconsistent play he has produced.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
          I like Lock, I have watched 14 full games from him over the past 2 years, he is a quality prospect with great physical skills, but I can't quite get over the inconsistency he displays on tape. For those who are all in on Lock, for those who want him, does this not worry you ? When you dig beyond the highlight videos on YouTube, the tape is really worrisome in my opinion.

For example, have you guys watched his performance against Kentucky this past season ? This was a mid-season game against a 6-1 football team, so he should of been clicking on all cylinders, and at times he was, but watching the game unfold, it's like watching 2 different players. In the first half, that Drew Lock, I would like to have him as my quarterback, and I would entertain using a first round pick on him. He stood tall in the pocket, he went through his progressions, he was accurate at the short and intermediate levels, and although he missed the long ball on bad throws, he showed off his physical talent.

Now, the same game, in the second half, after a very solid and productive opening to the game, the Tigers offense literally got zero first downs, none at all. Lock couldn't sustain any offense to even move the chains once, he fumbled twice, and the only passes completed were screen plays. The first half and the 14 points weren't enough, and despite having the ball twice inside 4 minutes to finish the game and throwing to seal it, Lock couldn't do it, and the Tigers defense gave up the game winning score to Kentucky. This inconsistent is a huge red flag to me, have any of you seen these same things I am seeing ?

Look then 2 weeks later in the game against South Carolina. Lock completed less than 50% of his throws at the very least, he was inaccurate from start to finish, missing high, low, behind guys, a couple of his long balls looked like punts, and he had 3 balls in the red zone he missed which should of been easy touchdowns, it wasn't great. I will say he did have some nice throws early which were fit into tight spaces where guys dropped the passes, I recall 3 actually where this happened. But again, just an inconsistent performance where his team lost by 2, and he threw one of the worse pick sixes I have ever seen, and he missed open touchdown passes within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage on 3 occasions.

It's hard to find a game actually where Lock comes out and consistently looks like a top prospect from start to finish. Lock is a skiddish player with exceptional talent that when it clicks, it looks great, but when it doesn't, it looks really bad. I would be okay with Lock at 10, I wouldn't love it, and I don't love Lock, but I can't seem to understand how anyone could be so sold on him to potentially suggest moving up to get him, especially if they have actually done the digging to witness the inconsistent play he has produced.
          Agreed ^^^^^... I say it time and time again. He just has a big arm. His completion % is awful.
          In my best Terrell Owen's voice...on Justin Fields. "That's my quarterback"

Comment

• Originally posted by Ear2dastreets View Post
            Agreed ^^^^^... I say it time and time again. He just has a big arm. His completion % is awful.
            I know this has been regurgitated over and over again, but he really reminds me of a less polished Cutler with better character. Just my opinion. I really hope he gets drafted ahead of us so Elway has no temptation to use pick 10 on him. Let's work on that front 7!
            New England Patriots GM

Comment

• Originally posted by Gbt31 View Post
              I know this has been regurgitated over and over again, but he really reminds me of a less polished Cutler with better character. Just my opinion. I really hope he gets drafted ahead of us so Elway has no temptation to use pick 10 on him. Let's work on that front 7!
              The biggest thing people say is how many starts he has had and his arm strength. I just don't watch lock play and think he is worth a top 10 pick imo.
              In my best Terrell Owen's voice...on Justin Fields. "That's my quarterback"

Comment

• If Drew Lock is the pick at 10. Broncos fans should temper down the expectations. He is a 1 or 2 year project. And there is no guarantee. He does have a good arm and has good work ethic or a chip on his soldier to prove himself. Which are good qualities. He is inconsistent, bad mechanics.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ohenhen1 View Post
                  If Drew Lock is the pick at 10. Broncos fans should temper down the expectations. He is a 1 or 2 year project. And there is no guarantee. He does have a good arm and has good work ethic or a chip on his soldier to prove himself. Which are good qualities. He is inconsistent, bad mechanics.
                  I don’t think it’s high expectations. I think the people thinking Lock will be the pick believe that’s the plan. We traded for Flacco to let Lock sit and learn for 1-2 years. And not throw him to the wolves immediately.

But when Flacco is Flacco for the first 10 games or gets hurt then people will want to see Lock this year.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
                    I like Lock, I have watched 14 full games from him over the past 2 years, he is a quality prospect with great physical skills, but I can't quite get over the inconsistency he displays on tape. For those who are all in on Lock, for those who want him, does this not worry you?
                    Sure, it worries me somewhat. But that bit of hesitation is overshadowed by the ceiling I feel he has, by his demonstrated work ethic and yearly improvement. I have a ton of faith in our new coaching staff and think that they would be able get the most out of him.

There's always going to be flawed prospects, very few a sure things with no reason to doubt, Lock isnt one. But he is talented and has the potential to be exactly what we need. Continue to ride with some of the league's worst starting QBs like Keenum and Flacco, with no developmental potential behind them, worries me far more than any flaw a rookie QB could have.

Comment

• Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
                      I don’t think it’s high expectations. I think the people thinking Lock will be the pick believe that’s the plan. We traded for Flacco to let Lock sit and learn for 1-2 years. And not throw him to the wolves immediately.

But when Flacco is Flacco for the first 10 games or gets hurt then people will want to see Lock this year.
                      Yep. Lock and Flacco can run the same offense and the transition from Flacco to Lock should be seamless.

10 games in is about where I see the Flacco plug being pulled. 3-7 should do it but that didn't get Keenum benched so we will see.
                      Last edited by Papa-pwn; 04-12-2019, 09:10 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
                        Yep. Lock and Flacco can run the same offense and the transmission from Flacco to Lock should be seamless.

10 games in is about where I see the Flacco plug being pulled. 3-7 should do it but that didn't get Keenum benched so we will see.
                        Well Keenum never dropped to 3-7. He was 3-6 and then got to 6-6. And many believed the only reason he didn’t get pulled sooner was due to swag kelly being a moron.

Keenum also performed for a very incompetent coaching staff. One that cost him a win in those first 9 games.

I do believe Flacco at this stage is as bad as Keenum though. Despite what people try to say on the “eye test”. But he should have the benefit of playing for a much better coaching staff (I hope) and with some improved oline play and a better defense backing him up.

I don’t necessarily think we can accomplish 5-5 at game 10 but if we do he will keep the gig till near the end of the season.
                        sigpic

Comment

Yep. Lock and Flacco can run the same offense and the transmission from Flacco to Lock should be seamless.

How much has Drew Lock played from under Center?
                          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                            I don’t really ever care for this trait much that people put so much emphasis on.

For one not many college QBs spend a ton of time under center. Especially not in today’s college systems.

For another several NfL quarterbacks these days spend a lot more time in shotgun than they used to. Brady does it a ton. Manning did it a majority of the time. Sure both could run under center. But they spend a ton of time in shotgun. So does Brees.

I feel like the ability to run under center is way overblown these days.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                              Before I answer that, answer this: why does that even matter?

Rhetorical, of course, because the amount of a QB's snaps coming from under center is a largely irrelevant factor in 2019. How much time a prospect has played under center is really not even a factor in draft assessments anymore. It was fading fast in 2016 and 2017, but 2018 pretty much put it to bed It really hasn't been relevant for a while and surely isnt now.

Finding a top tier QB prospect who spent more than a little time under center is almost completely thing of a past. You'll get one every so often, but even that is rapidly fading. You've got to go back to 2012 to find a top 10 QB that didn't take the majority of their snaps from shotgun. That being said, Lock spent the most time with pro style concepts out of all of the top QB prospects in this draft.

If you want a QB who played predominantly under center, maybe Shea Patterson is your style? I'm not sure why, considering the NFL has been run a majority of shotgun since 2015.

If you were just trying to be cheeky, go ahead, but my point was from a physical standpoint Drew Lock is a great fit for the type of shanny-influenced WCO we should be running this year. Flacco is a solid fit as well, though his physical abilities are fading fast.
                              Last edited by Papa-pwn; 04-12-2019, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Before I answer that, answer this: why does that even matter?

Rhetorical, of course, because the amount of a QB's snaps coming from under center is a largely irrelevant factor in 2019. How much time a prospect has played under center is really not even a factor in draft assessments anymore. It was fading fast in 2016 and 2017, but 2018 pretty much put it to bed It really hasn't been relevant for a while and surely isnt now.

Finding a top tier QB prospect who spent more than a little time under center is almost completely thing of a past. You'll get one every so often, but even that is rapidly fading. That being said, Lock spent the most time with pro style concepts out of all of the top QB prospects in this draft.

If you want a QB who played predominantly under center, maybe Shea Patterson is your style? I'm not sure why, considering the NFL has been run a majority of shotgun since 2015.

If you were just trying to be cheeky, go ahead, but my point was from a physical standpoint Drew Lock is a great fit for the type of shanny-influenced WCO we should be running this year. Flacco is a solid fit as well, though his physical abilities are fading fast.
                                Because that's the type of Quarterback needed for the offense we want to run. Not saying Lock can't learn but taking snaps under center will be very important.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X