Ed Oliver Makes Some Sense at #10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
    Who do you think signed those two players? Maybe you need to ask John Elway if he is "serious".

Criticizing others on a message board is easy. But, it doesn't offer a solution. So, let's get you on the record for who YOU want.
    I'd take that a step further and like to see justification with facts as to who and why. It is one of the reason I generally like these boards. I might disagree - and that is great. That said the vast majority on these boards will provide background and detail as to why they think their point is more valid or simply the correct approach. Generally speaking it is refreshing.

Now Ed Oliver - what are some traits which we like about him and what are traits that we don't? More over who (if anyone) do we like better at his position and why?

For me I think I like the IDEA of an Ed Oliver more then I like Oliver specifically.

Comment

I don't think either will be available, but I much prefer Quinnen Williams over Oliver. Williams has much better hands, IMHO, and he can really swim and punch through a line, whereas Oliver seems like a guy who overpowers but gets slowed down a lot more. Williams just dominates. Kind of the opposite side of Quenton Nelson.

Comment

Domata Peko one of my favorite players but Unfortunately today’s reports have suggested that the Broncos won’t resign him.

However it may open the door to get Shelby Harris more playing time, perhaps even starting nose.

Imagine a D-line that features Harris and Oliver on the interior!
        Last edited by Sam_Z; 02-20-2019, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CheyennePress View Post
          I don't think either will be available, but I much prefer Quinnen Williams over Oliver. Williams has much better hands, IMHO, and he can really swim and punch through a line, whereas Oliver seems like a guy who overpowers but gets slowed down a lot more. Williams just dominates. Kind of the opposite side of Quenton Nelson.
          we would have to trade up for Q. Williams for sure. work into the top five. if he makes it out of the top five i will be shocked.
          sigpic
          oakland raders gm
          latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Originally posted by mozzerpete View Post
            If Denver goes DL in round 1,
            I prefer Christian Wilkins as he's an accomplishment student too.

Then double dip in round 2 with Jeffery Simmons or Dexter Lawrence.

DL would be set for years.

But alas, Denver needs OL help too.
            I am looking at a mock right now that seems realistic and it has the Broncos selecting Ed Oliver.
            https://www.footballdungeon.com/blog...ine-2019-mock/

Here are the first 9 picks:

1. Arizona Cardinals, Nick Bosa
            2. San Francisco 49ers, Josh Allen
            3. New York Jets, Quinnen Williams
            4. Oakland Raiders, Rashan Gary
            5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Josh Jacobs
            6. New York Giants, Dwayne Haskins
            7. Jacksonville Jaguars, Kyler Murray
            8. Detroit Lions, Clelin Ferrell
            9. Buffalo Bills, Jonah Williams

If the board fell that way then who would you select?

Would Christian Wilkins be the pick? I think I would lean towards Wilkins. Not only is he a great player, but he probably has the best character traits of anyone in the draft. He has Man of the Year traits.

Comment

Originally posted by Santa Clause View Post
              I am looking at a mock right now that seems realistic and it has the Broncos selecting Ed Oliver.

Would Christian Wilkins be the pick? I think I would lean towards Wilkins. Not only is he a great player, but he probably has the best character traits of anyone in the draft. He has Man of the Year traits.
              It’s the classic debate of taking a guy with a higher floor and lower ceiling or the lower floor higher ceiling guy. In this situation I’d look at the position coach, if he’s good (Kolar is one of the best) I’d be willing to bet on the higher ceiling lower floor guy because the coach should maximize what he can get out of him. If possible I’d let the position coach talk with both and let him make the call.

I’d go with Oliver because I don’t think he’s very technically sound as a pass rusher and is winning a lot of matchups with an incredible burst off the snap, his speed and his leverage. That generally doesn’t work in the nfl although Oliver is freakish enough I think he can still be disruptive. But if you teach him how to effectively use his hands and build his repertoire of pass rushing moves he can be a dominant force. Not to mention he does have a relentless motor.

But again it all comes down to coaching and scheme fit, I don’t want Oliver to play 5 tech and just eat up blocks for the OLBs, he can’t do that and it’s be a waste of his skill set. Wilkins can do that much better but i feel like that’s a waste of value for him as well. You can get a guy much later in the draft to do that. If they want them to knife through gaps and get after the ball to make plays like we had Malik Jackson doing, I think Oliver can do that at a higher level but Wilkins might have more success early on in his career.

Comment

I think Oliver has the ability to be a top DL player. However, just with the eye test he looks a little thin for an interior guy ( I could be wrong). I don’t fear that he won’t be able to beat his guy 1v1 because of how quick he gets off the snap. I fear that once he gets doubled in the NFL he won’t be able to use that speed on the inside to his advantage at that point. With his weight( eyeball test) I feel like he won’t even be able to hold the line either. Assuming we play in a 3-4 D. It would remind me of Demarcus Walker.

Comment

Originally posted by Murph2432 View Post
                  I think Oliver has the ability to be a top DL player. However, just with the eye test he looks a little thin for an interior guy ( I could be wrong). I don’t fear that he won’t be able to beat his guy 1v1 because of how quick he gets off the snap. I fear that once he gets doubled in the NFL he won’t be able to use that speed on the inside to his advantage at that point. With his weight( eyeball test) I feel like he won’t even be able to hold the line either. Assuming we play in a 3-4 D. It would remind me of Demarcus Walker.
                  I believe you are correct, and that he will be a 5-technique Defensive End in the NFL who can be moved to the middle on obvious passing downs. He isn't a "Peko-type" interior lineman. It should be interesting to see if he falls to us at 10.

Comment

I'm on board with Oliver, White or Greedy. No QB please.
                    New England Patriots GM

Comment

We won’t take a d-lineman at 10. I could see Devin White but I think we go offense. Elway will try to fill some holes on the D through FA and Fangio will instantly improve our D as a whole. I think Elway is sick of seeing our offense struggle and wants to infuse it with young talent. If the QB he covets falls he will grab him, otherwise a LT, WR, or TE will be in play.

Personally if his QB doesn’t fall to 10, I could see us moving back and stock piling picks for next year. Move back into the late teens or early 20s and take TJ Hockenson. This will be a hard sell for Scangarello but he will want his own version of George Kittle.

1. (after trade back) Hock
                      2. WR Paris Campbell

Heard it here first!

Comment

At this point, since Jonah Williams is off the board, I would draft Daniel Jones, QB, Duke. (went 15th in mock)
                        Flacco vs Jones

"2/7/19: After the Senior Bowl, three general managers told me they thought Jones would rise and end up being the first quarterback selected in the 2019 NFL Draft. They felt his skill set and the hype of him being groomed by Duke Head Coach David Cutcliffe, the coaching mentor to the Mannings, would lead to his rising up draft boards." -WalterFootball

Comment

Originally posted by mozzerpete View Post
                          At this point, since Jonah Williams is off the board, I would draft Daniel Jones, QB, Duke. (went 15th in mock)
                          Flacco vs Jones

"2/7/19: After the Senior Bowl, three general managers told me they thought Jones would rise and end up being the first quarterback selected in the 2019 NFL Draft. They felt his skill set and the hype of him being groomed by Duke Head Coach David Cutcliffe, the coaching mentor to the Mannings, would lead to his rising up draft boards." -WalterFootball
                          If we passed on Greedy Williams, Oliver and White for Daniel Jones...I would be very upset.
                          New England Patriots GM

Comment

Originally posted by Gbt31 View Post
                            If we passed on Greedy Williams, Oliver and White for Daniel Jones...I would be very upset.
                            Jones is a guy I would consider a trade back into the 1st option. I think he'll fall into the late teens or early 20s. I would love white at 10 and then trade back to snag Jones. . . . .my dream draft

Comment

Devin white or Jawann Taylor I'd take over either
                              sigpic
                              oakland raders gm
                              latavis murray trade bait

Comment

A shade under 6’2” and weighed in at 287. Arm length is a bit of a concern but technique can mitigate that. Was never quite sure where the report of him being 270 came from. Looking forward to watching his drills even though he’d be a terrible fit in a 2 gap defense

Comment

Working...
                                X