Smoke Screen!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoke Screen!

After giving it some thought and trying to make some sense out of the decision to trade for Flacco I may have come up with something.

Elways love affair with Drew Lock is a smokescreen and the QB he really covers is Dwayne Haskins. Think about it, Haskins is more in the mold of Flacco (tall, lanky, pocket passer with limited mobility and pinpoint accuracy)

Haskins also has limited experience so Flacco plays while Haskins learns. I could see John trading up to #5 to get Haskins, not Lock!

Originally posted by KWHIT97 View Post
    After giving it some thought and trying to make some sense out of the decision to trade for Flacco I may have come up with something.

Elways love affair with Drew Lock is a smokescreen and the QB he really covers is Dwayne Haskins. Think about it, Haskins is more in the mold of Flacco (tall, lanky, pocket passer with limited mobility and pinpoint accuracy)

Haskins also has limited experience so Flacco plays while Haskins learns. I could see John trading up to #5 to get Haskins, not Lock!
    I don't know enough about Lock to make any analysis. But, I've read quite a bit about him, and many feel that Lock isn't a 1st Round talent, and if he is taken in the 1st, it will be a monumental reach because of the sub-standard college talent at that position of need for most teams, this year. I've been scratching my head trying to figure out why I keep reading from people on this Message Board that we need to mortgage the Draft to move up to as high as #2 to take a QB in Lock ahead of the concensus #1 QB in the Draft, Haskins. I'm hoping that it is just because Lock played in the Senior Bowl, and Haskins didn't. And thus some fans are just grasping at the last QB they saw on the field who showed some promise.

But yeah, I never bought in to that "Elway has a man-crush on Lock" story. If it were true, I'd say we have a HUGE problem at the "V.P in charge of Player Personnel" position on this team. I can't believe that Elway would be that stupid. So, I'm hoping you are correct.

Comment

I hope not. I'd prefer a Qb who has started multiple seasons (and shown improvement in all of them perhaps?)
      I think the trade for Flacco was Elways attempt to separate the broncos from Lock to lessen the chance some team jumps them to draft him.

Comment

I was thinking the whole "Drew Lock" love-affair was just a smoke screen also but I was thinking maybe Elway was really leaning towards drafting Daniel Jones if he plans to stand pat at #10.

Jones impressed me the most in the Senior Bowl but I also like the little I've seen in Haskins more than the little I've seen in Lock, who would be my 3rd choice out of the 3 with a flip of the coin between Jones & Haskins.

Regardless though, I just hope we get 1 of the 3.

Comment

While it is a possibility I really don’t believe they will. Once again the trade for Flacco indicates that Denver wants to win now and not “ rebuild”. Which means, they are going to have to fix as many holes as they possbily can I’m a short period of time. Giving up draft picks and going for a position that wouldn’t help this team now ( assuming he sits a year behind Flacco) doesn’t seem like their plans.

Comment

Well, it could be a double smoke screen. JE knows everyone is watching and went to several Mizzou games. So he acts like he is very interested in Lock and people think he's blowing smoke..... But in reality, he really is interested..... No? I think he's trying get teams to move up ahead of us but I'm not sure why. Maybe to drop Greedy Williams. IMO, I would like us to draft Jones, his decision making is better then Locks imo. Maybe move back to 15-20 or trade back into the first to snatch him away from the other AFC teams.

Comment

If Elway doesnt take Lock I will 1. Be very surprised and 2. Know that the plan was always for Herbert and he is now just waiting for him to be in the draft.

Comment

Originally posted by Mel B. View Post
                I was thinking the whole "Drew Lock" love-affair was just a smoke screen also but I was thinking maybe Elway was really leaning towards drafting Daniel Jones if he plans to stand pat at #10.

Jones impressed me the most in the Senior Bowl but I also like the little I've seen in Haskins more than the little I've seen in Lock, who would be my 3rd choice out of the 3 with a flip of the coin between Jones & Haskins.

Regardless though, I just hope we get 1 of the 3.
                I also think Lock and Jones are the guys Elway is targeting. They are the 2 guys that have the multi year starting experience and each have gotten progressively better each year played. I dont think Elway will go after one year wanders. The Flacco deal makes it easier for John to sit still and wait and see which one falls to him.

Comment

I think they traded for Flacco rather than trading up because it was cheaper. Now they can pick a QB that falls to them, or they can go a different direction. Plus if you're trading up to 5, there's no real reason to smokescreen, because you'll likely be high enough to get your guy regardless.

I think it's WAY too early for anyone to think anything is a smokescreen. The combine hasn't happened, free agency hasn't happened, there's way too much that could go on between now and then for teams to work that angle already.
                  The interviews at the combine and then the private visits to Dove Valley will be where they decide who they truly want, at that point you can start to smokescreen, but there's too much that can happen between now and then to think it's the case now.

Comment

Originally posted by jflee66 View Post
                    Well, it could be a double smoke screen. JE knows everyone is watching and went to several Mizzou games. So he acts like he is very interested in Lock and people think he's blowing smoke..... But in reality, he really is interested..... No? I think he's trying get teams to move up ahead of us but I'm not sure why. Maybe to drop Greedy Williams. IMO, I would like us to draft Jones, his decision making is better then Locks imo. Maybe move back to 15-20 or trade back into the first to snatch him away from the other AFC teams.

Williams doesn't seem to fit the defense that Denver will have. He's at his best in press man coverage, Fangio often rolls through a lot of coverages. And Williams is known for his lack of desire in tackling and helping in the run game. If you want the defense to become elite again you need corners that can tackle and play the run.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                      Williams doesn't seem to fit the defense that Denver will have. He's at his best in press man coverage, Fangio often rolls through a lot of coverages. And Williams is known for his lack of desire in tackling and helping in the run game. If you want the defense to become elite again you need corners that can tackle and play the run.
                      I watched a little tape on him and he seemed to be great at run support. But, a little tape don't mean much.

Comment

LOL at lock be a monumental reach in the first round. He is not tim tebow, lmao.

Elway specifically told Lock that Lock would be a top 10 pick.....

As for us. We got flacco so we are not pigeon holed into any move. This is the same thing that Elway has always done in FA. He gets as many positions filled with players so that they do not have to reach in the draft (even though they have a lot).

As for the plan, we know if lock is there at 10 we will take him. We are not trading up for anyone (at least as of now). The plan is to stay pat at 10 and see who is there.

My hunch says assuming Lock is gone at 10, we work a trade with the fish or skins or another QB needy team. Take their first next year. We may even trade back again. From what I have heard there is interest in CB (not greedy). So we could move back once or twice and garner solid ammo for a QB for next year. If that is the case, my money says Elway will go for herbert unless he just completely bombs out next year.
                        So far:
                        FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
                        1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
                          I don't know enough about Lock to make any analysis. But, I've read quite a bit about him, and many feel that Lock isn't a 1st Round talent, and if he is taken in the 1st, it will be a monumental reach because of the sub-standard college talent at that position of need for most teams, this year. I've been scratching my head trying to figure out why I keep reading from people on this Message Board that we need to mortgage the Draft to move up to as high as #2 to take a QB in Lock ahead of the concensus #1 QB in the Draft, Haskins. I'm hoping that it is just because Lock played in the Senior Bowl, and Haskins didn't. And thus some fans are just grasping at the last QB they saw on the field who showed some promise.

But yeah, I never bought in to that "Elway has a man-crush on Lock" story. If it were true, I'd say we have a HUGE problem at the "V.P in charge of Player Personnel" position on this team. I can't believe that Elway would be that stupid. So, I'm hoping you are correct.

Ahh it was you. Yeah, lock is a legit first round talent. Top 10, ehhhh I guess. Top 20- 100%.

So unless you think Elway and the other GMS are that stupid (possibly belicheck) then maybe do some more on lock. There will likely be 4 QBs at minumum going in the first this year.
                          Haskins
                          Lock
                          Murray
                          Jones
                          Stidham/grier/jackson -to some-

I think stidham goes in the 3rdish Grier as well. Jackson to me is 5th or later, fwiw.
                          So far:
                          FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
                          1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

Originally posted by Orangecrush21 View Post
                            I hope not. I'd prefer a Qb who has started multiple seasons (and shown improvement in all of them perhaps?)
                            I think the trade for Flacco was Elways attempt to separate the broncos from Lock to lessen the chance some team jumps them to draft him.
                            Too late for that. I been saying smoke screen since January. And also have said it make no sense for JE to it known to the league that's whi he wants. Everyone knows I want Murray. If Elway came out and said they are looking very hard at him I wouldn't like it bc it. I would think that's a smokescreen too.
                            Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

Comment

Originally posted by Murph2432 View Post
                              While it is a possibility I really don’t believe they will. Once again the trade for Flacco indicates that Denver wants to win now and not “ rebuild”. Which means, they are going to have to fix as many holes as they possbily can I’m a short period of time. Giving up draft picks and going for a position that wouldn’t help this team now ( assuming he sits a year behind Flacco) doesn’t seem like their plans.
                              We dont have a win now team....just imo.
                              Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

Comment

Working...
                              X