Backup QB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup QB?

Since we went out and signed a QB that missed seven games last year due to injury...you have to wonder what the team will do to fill the #2 spot on the QB depth chart.

I'm told the Broncos intend to shop Keenum...so it probably won't be him.

The team will probably draft a QB...but would they want a rookie filling the backup spot? Worked out OK for the Ravens, but that is unusual.

Should they try to sign someone else?

I would expect the Rookie to be the backup. Its not really that unusual.
    Baker Mayfield, Lamar Jackson, and I believe Josh Rosen all got their rookie starts like that just this last season alone

Comment

Elway said, “We don’t know yet. As I told Case when I talked to him, the different options that we are going to work with him and give him time to think about it. We’ll circle back with Case and see where he is and go from there.”

Sounds like Elway will offer Keenum the option to stay with the Broncos on a restructured contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
        Elway said, “We don’t know yet. As I told Case when I talked to him, the different options that we are going to work with him and give him time to think about it. We’ll circle back with Case and see where he is and go from there.”

Sounds like Elway will offer Keenum the option to stay with the Broncos on a restructured contract.
        Yep, sounds like it. But if Flacco is coming, I don't see Case wanting to stay. But you never know. I think regardless, we are still looking for another qb. I will be very surprised if CK is here this year.
        My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

Case did want to be in Denver though. Hopefully Kubiak sold him on the benefits of being a long term backup. It's not as though Flacco is the most durable lately. Would be highly beneficial for both QBs to be here. Been a long time since we've had that kind of stability in the spot
          2016 GM for the Buffalo Bills.

Comment

Originally posted by conannilsen View Post
            Case did want to be in Denver though. Hopefully Kubiak sold him on the benefits of being a long term backup. It's not as though Flacco is the most durable lately. Would be highly beneficial for both QBs to be here. Been a long time since we've had that kind of stability in the spot

Actually, we had plenty of stability with Case at the spot last year, I don't think that is the type of stability we need.

As for JF, I believe he will be an improvement over Case, but that is not saying much. I hope he can make it through the season healthy and I sure hope we are still looking for another qb. I have hopes JF will fair better with a new coach and scheme, but still think we need another option not named Case Keenum or Hogan.
            Last edited by FL BRONCO; 02-27-2019, 05:15 PM.
            My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
              Yep, sounds like it. But if Flacco is coming, I don't see Case wanting to stay. But you never know. I think regardless, we are still looking for another qb. I will be very surprised if CK is here this year.
              It would be difficult to be in Keenum’s situation, although he was paid well for one season and a nice payout if he leaves. If he can live with staying as a backup he would probably get to be in Denver for 3-4 years. We’ll see what happens - it would be great to have him as a backup and a restructured contract would free up cap space.

Comment

From Case's perspective... why not stay? You're here. You've made a home. Nobody is going to give him a starting job. Take the cut, cuz you performed like poo. Flacco has been dealing with injuries the last couple of years. The chances of him getting to play again are moderately high. Also, draft a QB and Case is much more likely to spend the time tutoring that young QB if he stays as a backup. Earn a couple mil, coach up a younger guy. Live in one of the best cities in the US. Not a bad gig.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua2585 View Post
                  From Case's perspective... why not stay? You're here. You've made a home. Nobody is going to give him a starting job. Take the cut, cuz you performed like poo. Flacco has been dealing with injuries the last couple of years. The chances of him getting to play again are moderately high. Also, draft a QB and Case is much more likely to spend the time tutoring that young QB if he stays as a backup. Earn a couple mil, coach up a younger guy. Live in one of the best cities in the US. Not a bad gig.
                  I agree if we don't take Lock. He's going to take a cut either way, because nobody's going to pay him and I don't see how we trade him. Flacco gets hurt a lot, so screw it.

Comment

Working...
                  X