Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jawaan Taylor?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ock-to-raiders

This latest mock has Murray going first...and the Broncos taking Jawaan Taylor. Good pick?

I like it.... Oline
    sigpic

Comment

Offensive tackle is a huge need, and right now there are 3 guys being discussed as potentially going in the top 15. Dalton Risner seems to be climbing up the board quickly, Jonah Williams seems to be considered the top prospect at the position still, and Jawaan Taylor seems to float in between those 2. The interesting name for me at tackle is Greg Little. Some places have him as a top 20 pick, others have him listed as low as a 3rd round guy, it's hard to gauge the climate on him.

On Jawaan Taylor. He is a big body, but he is suprisingly agile on the edge for someone his size. There was a play against Kentucky that stood out to me, where Taylor was matched up against Josh Allen and shows this. Allen comes from a 7 technique, the right guard blocks down on the nose tackle, and it is an island against a guy who will be a top 5 pick this year, it's one on one, and Allen goes to the inside move and has Taylor beat for all money. Taylor plays disciplined, keeps his hips square to his target, and drives Allen inside taking him out of the play completely.

Taylor is a guy I would be happy with getting at 10, and he would be a day 1 starter here and an immediate upgrade at right tackle. The fans will blow up, any early offensive line pick causes that reaction, but it would be a very good pick in my opinion. Taylor does have some inconsistent performances, but he has a strong grip and once he gets a hold of someone, he rarely is letting go, both in the ground game and the pass game. I also like drafting a tackle to actually play the same side they played in college. A lot of people just think anyone who can play on the left can be better on the right, that's not the case, and Taylor would be a right tackle here, and has experience at that spot.

Comment

Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
        Offensive tackle is a huge need, and right now there are 3 guys being discussed as potentially going in the top 15. Dalton Risner seems to be climbing up the board quickly, Jonah Williams seems to be considered the top prospect at the position still, and Jawaan Taylor seems to float in between those 2. The interesting name for me at tackle is Greg Little. Some places have him as a top 20 pick, others have him listed as low as a 3rd round guy, it's hard to gauge the climate on him.

On Jawaan Taylor. He is a big body, but he is suprisingly agile on the edge for someone his size. There was a play against Kentucky that stood out to me, where Taylor was matched up against Josh Allen and shows this. Allen comes from a 7 technique, the right guard blocks down on the nose tackle, and it is an island against a guy who will be a top 5 pick this year, it's one on one, and Allen goes to the inside move and has Taylor beat for all money. Taylor plays disciplined, keeps his hips square to his target, and drives Allen inside taking him out of the play completely.

Taylor is a guy I would be happy with getting at 10, and he would be a day 1 starter here and an immediate upgrade at right tackle. The fans will blow up, any early offensive line pick causes that reaction, but it would be a very good pick in my opinion. Taylor does have some inconsistent performances, but he has a strong grip and once he gets a hold of someone, he rarely is letting go, both in the ground game and the pass game. I also like drafting a tackle to actually play the same side they played in college. A lot of people just think anyone who can play on the left can be better on the right, that's not the case, and Taylor would be a right tackle here, and has experience at that spot.
        i think he could play either Tackle spot. but who knows he may end up being better then bolles. or bolles doesn't show up as well as he did late last season. it is a make or break year for Bolles regardless.
        sigpic
        oakland raders gm
        latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
          i think he could play either Tackle spot. but who knows he may end up being better then bolles. or bolles doesn't show up as well as he did late last season. it is a make or break year for Bolles regardless.
          Regardless, it's not the case any longer where you can just throw your guard at right tackle and hide pass blocking weaknesses over there. The amount of guys who rush almost exclusively from the left end of the defense, often matched up against the right tackle continues to grow. Some of the best pass rushers come from that side, so a good pass blocking right tackle is essential. A few examples, Justin Houston, Von Miller, Khalil Mack.

Also, I don't think moving Bolles to the right is a smart move either. Playing on the left is his natural position, he has played there for years, and moving to the right means completely flipping everything. For a guy who struggles with consistency and technique already, asking him to make the move wouldn't be a sure thing. So I would hope if we brought in Taylor, or any tackle from any college, we play them where they have shown they can be consistently good players, don't DeMarcus Walker/Robert Ayers them.

Comment

Regardless, it's not the case any longer where you can just throw your guard at right tackle and hide pass blocking weaknesses over there. The amount of guys who rush almost exclusively from the left end of the defense, often matched up against the right tackle continues to grow. Some of the best pass rushers come from that side, so a good pass blocking right tackle is essential. A few examples, Justin Houston, Von Miller, Khalil Mack.

Also, I don't think moving Bolles to the right is a smart move either. Playing on the left is his natural position, he has played there for years, and moving to the right means completely flipping everything. For a guy who struggles with consistency and technique already, asking him to make the move wouldn't be a sure thing. So I would hope if we brought in Taylor, or any tackle from any college, we play them where they have shown they can be consistently good players, don't DeMarcus Walker/Robert Ayers them.
            if any thing i would be moving Bolles inside over RT. I think this year is the year needs to prove he is a nfl Tackle. if we do draft Taylor Ideally i would like Bolles at LT and Taylor at RT. give them the year. if Bolles regress back to his form before the end of last season. then we move on from him and find a better tackle. now days the good NFL defenses will be able to rush from either side and the inside. so you need a good pass blocking tackle regardless what side.
            sigpic
            oakland raders gm

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
              if any thing i would be moving Bolles inside over RT. I think this year is the year needs to prove he is a nfl Tackle. if we do draft Taylor Ideally i would like Bolles at LT and Taylor at RT. give them the year. if Bolles regress back to his form before the end of last season. then we move on from him and find a better tackle. now days the good NFL defenses will be able to rush from either side and the inside. so you need a good pass blocking tackle regardless what side.
              I agree with the statement about moving him inside. I think with the way he is able to move pretty well through traffic, and the way he excelled at angle blocking in the run game at Utah, he would make a good left guard. That would also be an effective way to hide his weaknesses with his kick slide technique also. Who knows, maybe the plan is to go and sign a right tackle, draft a left tackle, and move Bolles inside, you never know. I wouldn't count out the return of Billy Turner either, he showed growth last year and potential to be at least a capable backup. In my ideal world, I would go after Michael Dieter in the draft also. He is a great guard prospect, and he has experience playing every spot on the offensive line, which is a great asset to have.

Comment

i can agree with bringing back Turner he is young, has show talent. can play gaurd or tackle. i think he could be in the competition to start at RG if he stays here. PAradis will be interesting i think he will be offered to much for us to keep and Mcgovern to be the full time OC. either way i look at it we probably need a new right side of the line.
                sigpic
                oakland raders gm

Comment

Little has top 5 talent with a 7th round work ethic which is why he’s all over the place.

Spot on about Taylor. Very good movement skills and can mirror anybody. Sweat gave him some hiccups early in the year, beat him once with a speed rush and twice after that with an inside move. Then Taylor settled down and stopped guessing what was coming and started mirroring Sweat and shut him down. He’s also very good at recognizing blitzes as well as stunts and twists. If no one rushes at him he looks for someone to block. He’s nasty in the run game too, just a physical aggressive player in general with great measurable. Taylor will be a bookend for the next decade.

I’d love to try and nab Cajuste a bit later to slide into the guard spot next to him. I think he’s a little heavy footed for OT but he would make a nasty guard. With McCoy and Bradbury getting a lot of hype, I wouldn’t sleep on Elgton Jenkins either. Not as good with his movement as those two but very physical and very stout at the point of attack. This is a very deep draft for trench players.

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                    Little has top 5 talent with a 7th round work ethic which is why he’s all over the place.

Spot on about Taylor. Very good movement skills and can mirror anybody. Sweat gave him some hiccups early in the year, beat him once with a speed rush and twice after that with an inside move. Then Taylor settled down and stopped guessing what was coming and started mirroring Sweat and shut him down. He’s also very good at recognizing blitzes as well as stunts and twists. If no one rushes at him he looks for someone to block. He’s nasty in the run game too, just a physical aggressive player in general with great measurable. Taylor will be a bookend for the next decade.

I’d love to try and nab Cajuste a bit later to slide into the guard spot next to him. I think he’s a little heavy footed for OT but he would make a nasty guard. With McCoy and Bradbury getting a lot of hype, I wouldn’t sleep on Elgton Jenkins either. Not as good with his movement as those two but very physical and very stout at the point of attack. This is a very deep draft for trench players.
                    i feel Cajuste moved well enough to play RT. i wouldn't nessarily want him on the LT but with a chip block he could hold up to any nfl rusher. and thats all you need on the RT. Taylor is better. i haven't done enough research on mid to later round O-line prospects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzQ2IdJK22A

his videos on O-line prospects are really good.
                    sigpic
                    oakland raders gm

Comment

I wouldn't bring Paradis back, I seen an article suggesting he will get around 10 million annually, he is no where near worth that, he is average at best. I think McGovern at center is a good prospect, he is young, has shown some promise, and is on a cheap contract. I also think Turner could potentially be competition at guard, he is really good in the run game, but a little tall and better suited to the edge in my opinion, he isn't very thick. Turner was a 3rd round pick who bounced around, but with a great coach, some stability, and the maturity of his body, he could be coming into his own as a 5th year pro.

Beastly, I agree with your take here on Taylor also. I think at times Taylor gets himself in trouble when he starts to lunge, and his technique diminishes. I think playing up at around 345, at altitude could be a problem. Usually with these big guys when they start to fatigue, there technique goes out the window, and sometimes I think you see that with Taylor. I also love the idea of pairing him with a stout guard. As I said, I personally love Michael Dieter, he is a technician, but Yodny Cajuste is that big mauler you love to have at right guard, his anchor is rock solid. The thought of adding a combination of Jawaan Taylor and Yodny Cajuste/Michael Dieter makes me very excited.

Comment

What's wrong with Dillard, DJ has him pegged for us at 10. Stats show he did not have 1 single holding penalty last year, is the best pure pass pro in class, and showed well at the combine. Needs a bit more bulk from the weight room, but that would come with being a professional.

Dillard - draft
                        Bolles
                        McGovern
                        Turner
                        James- free agent

Could totally live with this as I'm sure Munchack would be happy a well.

Comment

Dillard reminds me of Sambrailo, and other under developed tackles who can dance on the edge, but don't offer much anchor or push in the run game. I don't see him as an immediate starter, and honestly, pushing a tackle up the draft board after the combine is silly to me, I don't care what an offensive lineman looks like moving in shorts, I don't see him as a top 10 pick at all.

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter01 View Post
                            What's wrong with Dillard, DJ has him pegged for us at 10. Stats show he did not have 1 single holding penalty last year, is the best pure pass pro in class, and showed well at the combine. Needs a bit more bulk from the weight room, but that would come with being a professional.

Dillard - draft
                            Bolles
                            McGovern
                            Turner
                            James- free agent

Could totally live with this as I'm sure Munchack would be happy a well.
                            What about Leary?
                            New England Patriots GM

Comment

A true RT in the draft with with the hope that munchak coaches up Bolles to keep him serviceable..

I think our interior pieces are on the roster and we actually have an Oline.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X