Nose Tackle Prospects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nose Tackle Prospects

This defensive lineman group is deep, but the options for true nose tackles is some what limited, who do you guys like ? Obviously Dexter Lawrence from Clemson is the top nose tackle, but he will probably go at the back end of the first round, or early in the second, and I want to go in other areas there. Beyond him, I really like Daylon Mack from Texas A&M, but I can't work out what range he is looking at potentially going. I see him rated anywhere from a 4th round pick, to a 7th round pick, but I see him being on the 4th round end of that. Has anyone watched him at all ?

He reminds in a lot of ways of Brandon Mebane, who was one of the best 0 techniques of the last decade in the NFL. Mack is of smaller stature, but he is a boulder in the middle of the defense, and has that natural leverage advantage against interior offensive lineman. I have seen him criticised for his shorter arms, but his first step is explosive for a man his size, he offers some pass rush, he has a good anchor, and he gets off blocks really well.

Outside of him, the other middle round prospect who is also probably a 4th round guy, Dontavius Russell from Auburn. He isn't as athletic as Mack, and he doesn't offer as much pass rush, but he is a true run stuffing, 2 gap defensive lineman who I would also look at in that fourth round, if we can go and acquire a pick to grab him with.

I like Mack, if he's available in round 3 we need to take him.

Comment

wasn't there a report that we were interested in Hankins? Has that died off already?
      Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
        wasn't there a report that we were interested in Hankins? Has that died off already?
        J.Hankins or M.Jackson. Depends on the type of defense Fangio runs....At this point without having any true knowledge of any of these questions, my vote is for Jackson, but not on a lucrative deal.

Comment

Depending on price, adding Hankins would be my preference over Jackson. I think Jackson will cost more for one, and we need a true 2 gap 0 technique, we don't have anyone right now who can do that. We have a bunch of 5 techniques for a 2 gap defense, and Jackson would be better than them all, but you need to add certain guys to play different roles. Hankins has signed back to back 1 year contracts, one for 10 million per season, and the other for a little over 2 million per season. Something fair based off of his reputation would be something like 2 years, 8 million dollars, I could handle that.

Comment

I like Trysten Hill a lot but he’s more of a 1 gap player.

Comment

Working...
            X