Building an all-time defense!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by atwaterandstir View Post
    I think we are going to be in a great position to land a really nice defensive prospect. We still need CB help, but Jackson brings versatility to the position and pairs up great with Harris.
    Devin White, Devin Bush or Ed Oliver would all be great selections for us. I would love to add a LB to help with the TE coverage and make impact plays, but Ed Oliver would be my choice now. He has a quick first step and will be really tough to handle when lined up next to another quick footed guy like Miller.

I'm hoping we select one of these defensive players, but if we do go offense in Rd 1 Hockenson should be our target imo. This guy has all pro upside and is already a tremendous blocker that would help our run game.
    Given how much K Shanahan's offense hinges on the tight end, this makes a ton of sense. It hurts me to think about potentially missing out on a big time ILB, though.

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
      we still need 2 OGs.
      That remains to be seen with Munchak on board the same as with Bolles. I haven’t given up on Leary yet. And McGovern can still be a solid guard.

Elway may still take a lineman in rounds 2 or 3 but I don’t really see him taking offense at any other position unless someone falls that they value really high.

But I also still think a QB will be taken top 3 rounds.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
        Given how much K Shanahan's offense hinges on the tight end, this makes a ton of sense. It hurts me to think about potentially missing out on a big time ILB, though.
        Would be a key piece for our future QB as well. A highly efficient blocking and receiving TE would make the eventual transition much easier for whoever the guy is.

I believe if there is a LB that Fangio likes and has fallen to us, he will select one. We know he runs a system that values LBs, and we need help there. Personally I love what I see with Ed Oliver and I think Hockenson will be great, but if one of these LBs is the pick I will be thrilled.

Comment

It would be great to draft Hockenson at 10. Him and Flacco could give teams fits. Not to mention improving the run game and overall offense. Also would take a lot of pressure off ES. But as defense goes... Ed Oliver up the middle would be a lot of fun.
          Last edited by jflee66; 03-12-2019, 09:31 AM.

Comment

I might be in the minority here, but I like the growth potential in both Elijah Wilkenson and Sam Jones @OG under Munch.

Mabey our depth at OG isn't that barren; if these young guys develop nicely.

I love the idea of getting ILB and NT help early in the draft if QB is off the board (Haskins/Lock).

-GB2

Comment

I think there are too many holes on the team to spend 2 of the first 3 picks on linebackers. I think drafting one and then using Davis (I know you dislike him) and/or Jewell this year makes sense. That will help the team, but I don't think they have the luxury of ignoring the other needs like this.

I like the players you mention, and think all 3 would be great fits to the team, just not all 3 with so many other needs.

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                we still need 2 OGs.
                Well now that Paradis signed with Carolina I agree we can’t neglect offense first three rounds.

Our oline is not as strong as it appeared after James agreed to sign here.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
                  Well now that Paradis signed with Carolina I agree we can’t neglect offense first three rounds.

Our oline is not as strong as it appeared after James agreed to sign here.
                  Not saying it will be the case here, but to Munchak's credit, 4 of the 8 linemen the Steelers used last year were either undrafted or late round picks. So I think he can coach guys up.

Garcia actually started to play better last year, I'd be tempted to re-sign him (low contract) for 1 year and see if Munchak can be the one to push that through to him being an above average player.

Comment

Originally posted by BayArea Bronco View Post
                    What do you guys think about max garcia at guard.
                    Complete trash imo, that ship has sailed!

Comment

Where does Ed Oliver fit into our scheme? Don't get me wrong, he's a heck of a player, but DeMarcus Walker is kind of in the same mold. We need a NT, and Oliver ain't it.

Comment

Originally posted by KWHIT97 View Post
                        Where does Ed Oliver fit into our scheme? Don't get me wrong, he's a heck of a player, but DeMarcus Walker is kind of in the same mold. We need a NT, and Oliver ain't it.
                        He's not an ideal fit and most think he is best suited for 4-3 defense, but Fangio has said we will be playing a different style of 3-4 then we have been. He has said he wants us to be a swarming defense and Oliver really gets around the field and into the backfield.

When you can beat guys to the point it's hard to double team them. Aaron Donald as an undersized DT gets doubled quite often but he beats the center to the point so often he wrecks havoc on offense plays. Donald is so good because of that rare quick first step. Oliver is very similar in that aspect and I think the attention he will bring would do wonders for Miller and Chubb and visa versa.

One of the LBs would prob suit us better, and I would love to have Hockenson for the next 10 years but every time I turn on the plays from Oliver he looks better and better.

Comment

Originally posted by atwaterandstir View Post
                          He's not an ideal fit and most think he is best suited for 4-3 defense, but Fangio has said we will be playing a different style of 3-4 then we have been. He has said he wants us to be a swarming defense and Oliver really gets around the field and into the backfield.

When you can beat guys to the point it's hard to double team them. Aaron Donald as an undersized DT gets doubled quite often but he beats the center to the point so often he wrecks havoc on offense plays. Donald is so good because of that rare quick first step. Oliver is very similar in that aspect and I think the attention he will bring would do wonders for Miller and Chubb and visa versa.

One of the LBs would prob suit us better, and I would love to have Hockenson for the next 10 years but every time I turn on the plays from Oliver he looks better and better.
                          They previously played a 1 gap defense, the new defense will have more 2 gap principles. It'll have more in common with the Del Rio defense than it will the Phillips defense.

Comment

Gotsis Suh Wolfe Chubb
                            Miller Matthews Ware

25 Simmons Cravens 25.

That should about do it.
                            2016 GM for the Buffalo Bills.

Comment

Working...
                            X