Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 / 2020 Quarterback Classes, Joe Flaccos Impact, What is Elway thinking ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 / 2020 Quarterback Classes, Joe Flaccos Impact, What is Elway thinking ?

The Joe Flacco move can be looked at in one of two ways in my opinion. Firstly, I see it as John Elway admitting he doesn't see his quarterback of the future in this upcoming draft class, so he has went and acquired an upgrade to what he had a year ago, while not committing at all to him really, all the while having someone he still thinks could push this team towards making it back to the playoffs.

Another way I could see it, he does like someone in this draft class, but he doesn't see them as worthy of moving up for, so he has brought it Joe Flacco in as insurance in case the board doesn't deliver Elways top quarterback target to him at 10. This would make sense as the Flacco move was a risk free one from almost every angle, salary, compensations given up, etc.

In both of these cases, I think Elway will be weighing up these next 2 quarterback classes as if they are all coming out together, and making his decision based on not just this years group, but next years too. I know a lot of people are against that, but I think all signs point to that making sense, and that is why I like the Flacco move personally, it takes away some pressure to make the future quarterback decision right now, and allows Elway to have more options going forward.

So essentially, Flacco will be starting this year, so who do you prefer, the likes of Drew Lock, Dwayne Haskins,and Kyler Murray, or do you prefer Tua Tagovailoa, Justin Herbert, Jake Fromm, or someone else who could emerge like Nate Stanley or Jacob Eason. I personally am contempt with Flacco this season, and if the elite defenders are gone at 10, specifically the interior defensive lineman, and Haskins or Lock are available, I would bring them in. But I like the look of next years group, and I would be fine with building up other areas of the team and watching Flacco deliver good enough play to have us at least at the edge of the playoffs, which I think is possible.

As bad as I want a QB in this draft I also know how bad we need an ILB too. My hope is we make a move for Lee or sign Brown soon. That would open up the 10 pick to just about anything we want. In that scenario I would want either one of Haskins or Lock....whichever one falls. If by some miracle they are both there I think Lock has more to offer with his athleticism.

If Elway doesn't make any moves to add to the ILB position I think 10 is a no brainer and it's one of the Devin's. If that happens my hope is our 2nd rounder goes to Jones or Grier and a possible move up if necessary.

I see no advantage passing on a QB altogether. If Flacco is going to be here for a year or 2 it would pay off to let a young man sit and learn. I hate the whole just make a move next year philosophy because for all we know all 3 top QBs next year all go 1,2 and 3 and we are sitting in the 20's way out of range. Take a QB now in 1 of the 1st 2 rounds and groom him for the future.....that's what I want

Comment

I think we take a qb at 10 but I don't believe we move up for one either. Flacco has some injury history these last couple of years to account for also. I'm guessing it will be between lock and haskins and I don't think both fall to us as it will most likely be one or three other.

Now in the situation that all 3 of those are gone I'm not opposed to moving back some to try to get an ILB or interior intensive lineman and than grabbing a Grier or something in the other rounds.

Adopted Broncos:
      (2011-2013) Eric Decker
      (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
      (2019-Current) Drew Lock
      Adopted posters:
      Everyone

Comment

I believe Elway made the trade to win now and get back to the playoffs with Joe Flacco. I agree Elway might have other reasons as stated by johnlimburg. Elway is the ultimate competitor and it sure seems like he’s making a play on what worked in 2015 - build a dominant defense to win a championship.

That’s not to say Elway hasn’t made mistakes and maybe he’s making another with a veteran like Flacco. Elway brought in Fangio and shored up the secondary with Kareem Jackson and Bryce Callahan. Signing Ja’Wuan James is a sign Elway is setting up Flacco for success. I think Elway will double-down on the BPA to continue building another elite defense.

I’m not sure whether or not Elway will go after a quarterback with the 1st pick. Maybe he’ll draft a development prospect to backup Flacco. If I were making a bet it would be on Elway wanting to win now with Flacco. If he has a another good draft with first year starters on defense, offense and special teams, I think we’ll be pleasantly surprised with a competitive team.

Comment

Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
          The Joe Flacco move can be looked at in one of two ways in my opinion. Firstly, I see it as John Elway admitting he doesn't see his quarterback of the future in this upcoming draft class, so he has went and acquired an upgrade to what he had a year ago, while not committing at all to him really, all the while having someone he still thinks could push this team towards making it back to the playoffs.

Another way I could see it, he does like someone in this draft class, but he doesn't see them as worthy of moving up for, so he has brought it Joe Flacco in as insurance in case the board doesn't deliver Elways top quarterback target to him at 10. This would make sense as the Flacco move was a risk free one from almost every angle, salary, compensations given up, etc.

In both of these cases, I think Elway will be weighing up these next 2 quarterback classes as if they are all coming out together, and making his decision based on not just this years group, but next years too. I know a lot of people are against that, but I think all signs point to that making sense, and that is why I like the Flacco move personally, it takes away some pressure to make the future quarterback decision right now, and allows Elway to have more options going forward.

So essentially, Flacco will be starting this year, so who do you prefer, the likes of Drew Lock, Dwayne Haskins,and Kyler Murray, or do you prefer Tua Tagovailoa, Justin Herbert, Jake Fromm, or someone else who could emerge like Nate Stanley or Jacob Eason. I personally am contempt with Flacco this season, and if the elite defenders are gone at 10, specifically the interior defensive lineman, and Haskins or Lock are available, I would bring them in. But I like the look of next years group, and I would be fine with building up other areas of the team and watching Flacco deliver good enough play to have us at least at the edge of the playoffs, which I think is possible.
          if flacco shows up and we draft later then ten to get an elite prospect such a Tua or a Fromm then you will probably have to give up alot of compensation to move up. the drop from nexts years to this years is not a huge drop off. i love tua but i don't think we will be able to get him with out tank or trading multiple firt next year. i don't think it is just a look of the group. ideal we wont pick high enough next year tog et an elite prospect. while at 10 we easily still walk away with lock or haskins. so right now i feel this year is better just due to draft positioning. nothing i see you mention
          sigpic
          oakland raders gm
          latavis murray trade bait

Comment

I say trade down from 10 and try to pick up an extra 1st for next year. Then if Elway falls in love with Tua, Fromm, or Herbert trade both 2020 1sts and maybe 2021s 1st to get in position to draft one. If Lock is available at 10 though, will be hard to pass up imo.

Comment

When there is no certainty that Fromm and Tua even declare next year, I really hope Elway wouldn't be thinking like that. That sort of think sinks franchises for a long time, putting off actually addressing a major need because you think someone better might be available next year. There are no guarantees with the 2020 draft class. The juniors could potentially stay for their senior years, injuries are a factor, and then so is the returning-player microscope. Many QBs have been touted as surefire #1 overall picks, only to return to school and become mid round picks.

It's possible Elway is thinking ahead, but it would be really distressing as a fan if that were the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
                When there is no certainty that Fromm and Tua even declare next year, I really hope Elway wouldn't be thinking like that. That sort of think sinks franchises for a long time, putting off actually addressing a major need because you think someone better might be available next year. There are no guarantees with the 2020 draft class. The juniors could potentially stay for their senior years, injuries are a factor, and then so is the returning-player microscope. Many QBs have been touted as surefire #1 overall picks, only to return to school and become mid round picks.

It's possible Elway is thinking ahead, but it would be really distressing as a fan if that were the case.
                I agree with this 1000%. I wish people will leave that 2020 draft class alone. We dont know how they will play....down season, injuries, or stay.... Elway wanted to win now with flacco..maybe but if he gets hurt mid way through the season and we finish 7-9, 8-8, 9-7....and don't make the playoffs then what? If Haskins by some chance fall to us at 10 it's a not brainer you take haskin over any MLB.
                Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

Comment

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post

On top of that, Draft stock doesnt stay the same year after year. Jarett Stidham was once considered a first round prospect and now he isnt even in the top 4 candidates (who aren't all projected as 1st rounders

Comment

My theory is that Elway wanted a strong arm Qb to mentor a similar model rookie and Flacco is just that. It also helps that Flacco can be cut at any time with no cap hit and his salary is pretty low for a starting Qb. Any time Elway thinks the Rookie *lock* is ready, Flacco can basically be tossed aside

Comment

Originally posted by Orangecrush21 View Post
                      My theory is that Elway wanted a strong arm Qb to mentor a similar model rookie and Flacco is just that. It also helps that Flacco can be cut at any time with no cap hit and his salary is pretty low for a starting Qb. Any time Elway thinks the Rookie *lock* is ready, Flacco can basically be tossed aside
                      I agree. Your right on!

Comment

Who said it would be lock???
                        Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

Comment

I noticed via Twitter that we signed Kevin Hogan to a one year deal. In the tweet, Mike Klis stated this: Kevin Hogan said he expects Broncos to select a QB in draft. He’ll be ideal backup to Flacco/mentor to unknown kid. “There’s always competition. Nothing’s ever promised. But I wanted to do that here in Denver, grow as a player.” But I have seen nothing that Hogan said that actually even hints at the Broncos drafting a QB.
                          Adopt-A-Bronco: Jonathon Cooper

Comment

I hope Elway brought Flacco to Denver with the intention of winning.

I would like to see him draft as though that’s his intention.

Next year’s quarterback class should only matter if this season turns bad and Flacco doesn’t pan out.

They should draft the best defensive player or the best offensive lineman available at pick #10.
                            My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                            You Mad Bro?
                            Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by listopencil View Post
                              I noticed via Twitter that we signed Kevin Hogan to a one year deal. In the tweet, Mike Klis stated this: Kevin Hogan said he expects Broncos to select a QB in draft. He’ll be ideal backup to Flacco/mentor to unknown kid. “There’s always competition. Nothing’s ever promised. But I wanted to do that here in Denver, grow as a player.” But I have seen nothing that Hogan said that actually even hints at the Broncos drafting a QB.
                              It was probably just in conversation with Klis.

I also saw that we're working out Emmanuel Hall, Lock's #1 reciever. If you remember, the years in which we took Brock and Lynch we also got a receiver from ASU and Memphis.

Comment

Working...
                              X