Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chris Harris Trade or Pay

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
    If he refuses whatever contract extension that is offered to him (IF it's offered to him) then the next course of action needs to be to trade him. With everything this team has going on, the last thing they need is a distraction all year as to the status of Chris and whether he's going to show up.
    Back in the day you would just ship a player that requested a trade off to Cleveland......lol, that's no longer an option.....

    Comment


    • Chris Harris Jr. isn’t ready to close the door on the Broncos
      97 comments
      The Denver Broncos blinked first, but Chris Harris Jr. didn’t waste time letting everyone know the door is still open between him and the team
      By Tim [email protected] Apr 24, 2019, 1:22pm MDT

      The ongoing drama between Chris Harris Jr. and the Denver Broncos appeared to be heading towards an ugly divorce, but one side has at least attempted to stall this escalating event. Harris walked back the escalation with a reconciliatory tone in recent comments to the media.

      First, in an interview with 9News on Wednesday, Harris didn’t mince words on where he was with this situation.

      “I don’t have any hard feelings about anything,’’ Harris said. “I always wanted to retire here. It’s not me. It can be salvaged.’’

      This is good news for fans of Harris and his outstanding career in Denver. He may be 30 years old, but there has been no sign of his play declining. Father time will always win, but there seems to be a good chance he has more than a few quality years left in his career.

      In some follow-up comments to Nicki Jhabvala he noted that the door is only going to be closed by the Broncos and that he still wanted to retire in Denver.

      “Oh yeah, I always wanted to retire here. ... I’m never closing that door until they close it.”

      As for a potential hold out, that wouldn’t be in the cards. First, John Elway has never gone down a road with any player that forces them to either hold out or play out a contract they no longer want.

      I asked Harris if he would hold out the year if the Broncos refuse to give him a new deal or trade him. "It shouldn’t get to that point."https://t.co/ib8dALkHMm
      — Nicki Jhabvala (@NickiJhabvala) April 24, 2019

      Elway will trade Harris before that decision would ever be on the table for Harris. Elway wouldn’t want to keep a player on the roster who doesn’t want to be there.

      So while it’s still like a new deal or a trade, at least it is starting to look a little less dire of a situation. Perhaps that $15 million a year demand was merely a starting point for these negotiations.

      Whatever the final offer ends up being, the Denver Broncos are a better football team with Chris Harris Jr. than without. And that will hold true no matter who they draft this weekend.

      https://www.milehighreport.com/2019/...oncos-contract
      Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

      Comment


      • The analytic trend has swept MLb... Patriots and Steelers have employed the philosophy for years, for the most part. You can’t let emotions get involved here, especially with a hard salary cap.

        You DON’T pay players for what they did... you pay them based on what you project they’ll produce/provide moving forward.

        Harris is 30. How many good years does he have left? A 4-5 year deal doesn’t make much sense... sure, this is NFL, so the “4” year deal could really be a 2 year commitment with a signing bonus.

        But DEN had to pry free agents from the open market with lucrative deals. That means they maxed out their dollar allocation for the defensive backfield. To extend further would be to rob Pedro to pay Paul.

        Maybe it’s better to let Harris okay hungry and motivated with a chip on his shoulders this year; get 1 more year out of him and let some other team shell out the large contract for Harris (approaching his decline).

        Broncos spending almost 30 mil on QB position 2019. This means you have to make tough decisions elsewhere. Harris is under contract... they needed to overpay to lure CB help to Mike High. It is what it is...

        I hope calmer heads prevail, but if a deal comes up that makes sense... then DEN should do what’s in it’s best interest.

        Patriots and Steelers normally let their guys walk in free agency. Of course, it helps having Big Ben and Brady... but, there is something to managing a cap.

        Contracts aren’t lifetime achievement awards.

        If I can swap 10 with SF’s 2nd, and snag DT Williams... I jump at that.

        Comment


        • He'll probably demand minimum 13m a year... if not 14m a year. He's a top 5 CB and has been pretty much his entire career. All the top 5 paid CBs in the league are making at least 14m.

          I say give him 3 year, 40m. I wouldn't be opposed to paying him a little more, but based on his age I think 3 years is appropriate.


          The great thing about Chris is that we know who he is. Getting paid isn't going to change his play like you fear of guys on 1st contracts.

          Comment


          • Harris is too much....

            He took to Twitter and was bragging about his picks in the pro bowl and being healthy.

            ....... Pro bowl picks...... Where everyone gives 100%

            https://twitter.com/ChrisHarrisJr/status/1121123127092756480?s=19

            Comment


            • Originally posted by flosstein View Post
              The issue isn't him "wanting to be with us". The issue is all about money. And he's 100% right. We just signed a lesser DB for $12mil/yr. Harris has been a PB and and AP DB throughout his extremely team friendly contract. He lived up to his end of the bargain. Now he wants his big contract. And why should he want any less than the top of the DB scale?

              Again, this is the just trademark of Elway. We can go back and harp on all the bad draft picks, but always finding a way to either push or let talent walk out the door is what he has done best. Hopefully we can find a replacement, but I have a feeling that's not going to be that easy.
              Jackson is a better and more versatile DB than Harris. Harris can play the slot but put him one on one against a teams best and he’s toast (see Antonio Brown) Harris ceiling is 11-12 per year, and I wouldn’t pay him that.

              Use him to position yourself for a guy you want come this weekend. If trading him can bump us back up into the end of round 1 to grab another good player let’s do that. We can draft Julian Love in round 3 to replace him. Harris is overrated by many around here.

              Comment


              • And he most certainly IS NOT a top 3 CB in this league. What a joke. I watch every game and he is solid, but not elite. Sorry!

                Comment


                • If people think we are in a position with Flacco or a rookie to compete for a title in the next 2 years then it's critical to extend Harris, but it seems rather odd that some people are afraid of breaking this thing up.

                  It makes far more sense to play out the contract and even franchise him next season as this route would be apprx 22 mil over 2 years. This gives us the hope that hometown discount might actually be a possibility after he has a chance to see his new defense in action.

                  Would hate to lose him but we are in no position to keep our team together at all costs. We have tons of questions with our new coaching staff, our QB, our wrs etc. I don't think Harris puts us over the top, but we are lucky enough to have him under contract this season at a manageable number to find out if we're close.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by KWHIT97 View Post
                    And he most certainly IS NOT a top 3 CB in this league. What a joke. I watch every game and he is solid, but not elite. Sorry!
                    In your opinion.

                    There are numerous analysts and grading systems that rank him in the top . But even if not in your opinion, top 5? Top 10?

                    Not so sure a rookie steps in and plays as well or is the leader that Harris is in this current locker room.

                    I was excited when they signed Jackson. Another solid top 5 rated CB by those same graders. Even like the Calhoun signing. But IMO any gains made go out the window if they choose to move Harris.

                    Hopefully both sides can work it out. Like the suggestion of 3yr/ $40m/ $25m guaranteed. Wonder how Harris or Elway would view the compromise after the drama of the past couple weeks.

                    Also agree with needing to know expectations to understand if a compromise can be found. Win now expectations over the next couple years include Harris. If they are excepting the rebuild then so be it.

                    Cut costs, trade good players to gain assets and don’t complain when they have another losing record. Might as well move Miller and Flacco too. Commit to a strategy of winning or rebuild

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                      In your opinion.

                      There are numerous analysts and grading systems that rank him in the top . But even if not in your opinion, top 5? Top 10?

                      Not so sure a rookie steps in and plays as well or is the leader that Harris is in this current locker room.

                      I was excited when they signed Jackson. Another solid top 5 rated CB by those same graders. Even like the Calhoun signing. But IMO any gains made go out the window if they choose to move Harris.

                      Hopefully both sides can work it out. Like the suggestion of 3yr/ $40m/ $25m guaranteed. Wonder how Harris or Elway would view the compromise after the drama of the past couple weeks.

                      Also agree with needing to know expectations to understand if a compromise can be found. Win now expectations over the next couple years include Harris. If they are excepting the rebuild then so be it.

                      Cut costs, trade good players to gain assets and don’t complain when they have another losing record. Might as well move Miller and Flacco too. Commit to a strategy of winning or rebuild
                      Exactly right.

                      And we heard all the same load of guano about Aqib Talib. How did that trade work out for us? People act like it's THEIR money that is being spent. Like somehow NO football player deserves the money they get. I've seen "management" screw over workers too many times in all facets of employment. And yet "fans" immediately side with the same management that wouldn't spit on you if you were running down the street on fire.

                      Until you have actually been to a game, as opposed to watching it on TV, people don't understand that this is all about "Show Biz", and has very little to do with the game of football. And when you continuously trade away your top players (Talib and DT, most recently) eventually you find yourself as a 5-11 or 6-10 team. And then pile on one bad Draft after another (last year MIGHT be an exception) where you don't replace the traded Players with equal talent, then you find yourself where the Broncos are now residing.

                      And now we hear people advocating that we Trade Von Miller, and Emmanuel Sanders. LOL!

                      I've been watching the Broncos since 1968, and every year it's the same mantra from the fans. "We have to Draft a Quarterback (no matter how poorly they rate) or an ILB. in the first Round." SMH

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by flosstein View Post
                        The issue isn't him "wanting to be with us". The issue is all about money. And he's 100% right. We just signed a lesser DB for $12mil/yr. Harris has been a PB and and AP DB throughout his extremely team friendly contract. He lived up to his end of the bargain. Now he wants his big contract. And why should he want any less than the top of the DB scale?

                        Again, this is the just trademark of Elway. We can go back and harp on all the bad draft picks, but always finding a way to either push or let talent walk out the door is what he has done best. Hopefully we can find a replacement, but I have a feeling that's not going to be that easy.
                        Yep, all Elway does is let talent walk. Well, except for Von Miller, Derek Wolfe, Emmanuel Sanders, DT, C.J. Anderson, Virgil Green, Brandon Marshall, Darian Stewart, Todd Davis, etc. All of them got new contracts from Elway.

                        Comment


                        • Keep Harris. PERIOD. He’s a Bronco through and through. Don’t trade him and he has every right to demand a new contract, took a home town discount and played at the highest level with years left.
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • Comment


                            • Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post

                              No no, none of this now. He would have made 42.5 over 5 years. Averaging out to less than 9 mil per year. For a run of the mill starting corner, fine that's a fair contract. For a pro bowl/1st and 2nd team All Pro caliber corner across that same period Harris could have easily been paid 13-14 mil per year. If that's not team friendly I don't know what is.
                              A book I wrote

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by CTM View Post
                                No no, none of this now. He would have made 42.5 over 5 years. Averaging out to less than 9 mil per year. For a run of the mill starting corner, fine that's a fair contract. For a pro bowl/1st and 2nd team All Pro caliber corner across that same period Harris could have easily been paid 13-14 mil per year. If that's not team friendly I don't know what is.
                                That is true, it is an average amount over that time. However, there are so many different little details and intricacies that go into the make up of a contract, and the average salary is the best way to compare contracts if the parties play out the full length of their deals. When you look at Chris, he was given a lot of up front money early, he took home the 5th most amount of cash earnings in year 1 of the deal for any cornerback in the league. Then as the years went on, you compare his yearly averages and he slowly falls down the list as the market changed, and the remaining payments after the early up front money was paid out, is then divided by the other 4 years of the contract.

                                The reason I do not believe Denver should budge in the slightest with Chris is, by signing Chris to a longer term deal, the 5 year period, they took on more potential risk in the situation that Chris didn't continue to play at a high level, especially after giving him the up front guaranteed money they did. This gave Chris more long-term security in the process, and allowed him to not have to worry that in a situation where his play did drop off, he would still be getting paid at his current valuation.

                                Now, that hasn't happened and Chris continued to play at the high level which earned him the contract, and he now feels because of the inflation of contracts he deserves more, and he does in today's market. Well, if he hadn't taken the benefit of the longer term security, while the Broncos took on more of the risk with the aspects I outlined, then he should of signed a 3 year contract as opposed to a 5, took less up front money, and then he could of hit the open market a couple years earlier securing a larger deal into his early 30s.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X