Chris Harris Trade or Pay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHJ has been and will be one of my most admired players

he took a team friendly deal, he played his ass off, BUT he needs to either shut his or his agents mouth at this point

his constant griping for a new contract isn't going to get him anywhere but traded

Elway has stated early he wants CHJ here, and will work on that AFTER the draft...not before, not during...AFTER
    Chris ought to recognize that the teams focus right now is hitting on the draft
    and know he can play this year on a new contract, or play on his old one and be a free agent next year if he choses

but trying to force Elway to act right now isn't going to work
    sigpic
    when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

• Originally posted by ArchAngel View Post
      THIS is why I dont buy player jerseys
      Like when Hitler was stuck with his T.O. jersey.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Originally posted by arapaho View Post
        CHJ has been and will be one of my most admired players

he took a team friendly deal, he played his ass off, BUT he needs to either shut his or his agents mouth at this point
        This long spoken story of Chris Harris taking a team friendly deal is exactly that, a story, a myth, a complete load of you know what. Chris Harris entered the league as an undrafted free agent and played out his 3 year rookie contract, he then received a solid 4th year deal as a restricted free agent tendered player, and he was then rewarded with a long-term extension, the apparent "team friendly" deal.

Sure, if you look at the deal in comparison to the deals players are receiving right now, it looks like he took a home town discount, but he didn't at the time, it's all relative. Look, when Harris signed his extension in 2014, it was a 5 year, 42.5 million dollar deal which he received being the number 2 cornerback on the team to Aqib Talib. The contract was the 2nd richest in the league for a number 2 guy, and it was the 6th richest contract of any cornerback in the league. Being the 6th highest earner at your position, when you are the 2nd best player at your position on your team, that is not a home town discount. Harris got paid accordingly to the market at that time.

Comment

• Originally posted by samparnell View Post
          Like when Hitler was stuck with his T.O. jersey.
          I just wanted to lurk... but LOL

CHJ can't cover bigger receivers on the outside. Corners who make 15 mil + should be able to do that. Would be sad to see his career here end this way tho.

Comment

• Originally posted by Justblaze2729 View Post
            He "took a chance" on him because he saw talent. And chj earned those millions. Elway didn't do him a favor. Chj earned everything he received.
            Yes, Elway saw talent in him that very few others, if any, did. Maybe he didn't do Harris a favor, but he definitely gave him an opportunity.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
              Has Harris really threatened to sit out the season ? Who does he think he is ? He isn't a superstar in this league, no one cares. I'd rather keep him, force him to sit out, or make him play on the contract he doesn't want to. Jesus, never did I think I would see Harris threaten to sit out the season guy has lost the plot and I hope Elway plays hardball with him.
              He thinks he is a top cb who took a team friendly deal when the team could really use it who is now getting screwed while we pay new lesser players more before we take care of him. Other players will notice. He deserves a deal and if he sits out I think he will have probably made the right move. But for that to happen, we will not have come to terms and I am not willing to go there yet. But he should get a better deal then any cb on this team and most in the league, he earned it in more ways than one.
              My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

• Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
                He thinks he is a top cb who took a team friendly deal when the team could really use it who is now getting screwed while we pay new lesser players more before we take care of him. Other players will notice. He deserves a deal and if he sits out I think he will have probably made the right move. But for that to happen, we will not have come to terms and I am not willing to go there yet. But he should get a better deal then any cb on this team and most in the league, he earned it in more ways than one.
                So even after I highlighted the fact that the contract he signed made him the 6th highest cornerback in the league at the time, and the 2nd highest paid number 2 cornerback in the league at the time, you still think this breakdown warrants it being a team friendly deal ? Non-sense. Or is this one of those regurgitated narratives that has become so engraved in stone over time that all the facts of the situation get in the way ?

I understand him wanting more now, but he had no problem taking a large up front signing bonus, and a high guarantee which paid him the same amount as Aqib Talib in the first 2 years of the deal did he ? This is how these things work. His agent should of accounted for inflation of contracts, the increased salary cap, and took a more player friendly deal to the tune of maybe 3 years instead of 5 to avoid this scenario.

That would of allowed Harris to hit the open market at age 28, allowed him to get paid a longer term deal, allowed him to have larger yearly salaries, and secured him longer term going into his early 30s. But, he didn't, he took the safer option, and now he has a binding contract which he, once again, as he often does on the field, is sooking about.

Comment

• I dont want to see CHJ get traded. They paid 11 million to a guy who isnt as good. Not saying CHJ should get 15 million but if you look at some CB in the league hes definitely worth 13 million. Hopefully both sides will compromise.

Comment

• Ryan O'Halloran
                    @ryanohalloran
                    ·
                    5m
                    #Broncos CB Chris Harris on his situation: "I think something’s going to happen soon."
                    sigpic
                    "I'm scared if I stop all at once, the cumulative hangover will literally kill me."

Comment

• Originally posted by Justblaze2729 View Post
                      He "took a chance" on him because he saw talent. And chj earned those millions. Elway didn't do him a favor. Chj earned everything he received.
                      The draft is full of players wanting their shot/opportunity.

Of course, he earned those millions, but someone gave him an opportunity.
                      Without that favor, call it shot, or call it whatever you'd like, it starts with an opportunity especially as a UDFA.
                      Nothing begins without an opportunity and having Champ Bailey as a mentor certainly helped.

It goes both ways, and I'm disappointed Harris took this route.
                      I'm taking a knee on him because it's a selfish move.
                      Don't sign a contract only to complain about it later.
                      What a DIVA!

Comment

• Originally posted by orange crush75 View Post
                        I dont want to see CHJ get traded. They paid 11 million to a guy who isnt as good. Not saying CHJ should get 15 million but if you look at some CB in the league hes definitely worth 13 million. Hopefully both sides will compromise.
                        They paid 7M for a pretty good slot CB to replace CHJ (if the numbers didn't match up). Jackson was paid 11M for 3 years, if CHJ wants 11M for 3 more years, he would be signed already.
                        Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

• Originally posted by MHS View Post
                          Ryan O'Halloran
                          @ryanohalloran
                          ·
                          5m
                          #Broncos CB Chris Harris on his situation: "I think something’s going to happen soon."
                          That same guy said trade partners for Denver are Bill's, Giants, Colts and Falcons. I dont know if that meant those were already calling .....

Comment

• It 100% goes both ways, and the way I see it, both sides have held up there end of the bargain. Chris Harris was afforded an opportunity in the NFL to prove himself, and John Fox rewarded him by keeping him around on the final 53 in 2011. I remember people questioning it because Harris wasn't a flash player in his rookie pre-season. Then, Harris slowly carved himself out a role, performed at a high level, and done so consistently for a few years, and the Broncos paid him handsomely as a result. As I have said, Harris was made the 6th highest paid player at his position on the long-term deal he signed, and he received high guarantees and upfront money.

Chris then continued to produce and earned that contract over the next few years, but the market changed, guys started earning more money, and unfortunately for Chris, he didn't bank on himself enough. By taking a shorter term deal in 2014 with another big pay day in mind in the future, this situation wouldn't have arisen. Chris chose the longer term security, and that came with larger risk for the team, and I don't think now it's worked out for Chris, Denver should just pay up. Chris is going to have to wait one more season to cash in on the ridiculous free agent market that exists, and I see no reason the Broncos should budge on this situation, none at all.

Comment

• First off, Elway didn't cause this situation with Chris Harris. It was more than abundantly clear that this was the route Chris was going to take following his not showing up to OTAs. I mean, what did we think was going to happen, or what signal did we think was being sent? All Elway did was speak the truth - he's not talking about Chris until after the draft, and even when he's ready to talk about it, it doesn't guarantee an extension happens. Even if Elway had come out and said all the PC garbage that most coaches and GMs speak, does it change the fact that Chris wants a new contract or he wants to play elsewhere? Of course not.

Second, Chris' contract in 2014 was a very good contract at the time. Yes, 5 years later he looks underpaid based on the contracts being given out, but how is that the Broncos' or Elways' fault?

Third, there's no way they can pay Chris $15 million right now. Next year is a different story but they don't have the money to do anything like that at this point. And to be honest I'm not sure paying a player $15 million a year who will be 30 when training camp starts smart. He's a phenomenal player no doubt. I wish there could be something worked out that keeps him here. But with what he's asking, it's just not realistic.
                              sigpic

Comment

• If CHJ has to go...

First off, I hate that we might lose Harris. He has always been a favorite and someone who I wish could be a Bronco for life...however...15+mil a year for an over 30 cb is not realistic.

So..if it comes to trading CHJ. What is his value? How high of a pick would he fetch?

An idea came to me for a trade that would make a positive out of a bad situation.

Trade: Chris Harris to the NY Jets for Leonard Williams DL....
                                I see this as realistic due to the Gase connection to Harris, NY could use a CB and I have read rumblings that NY is planning on parting ways with Williams after his contract. If NY picks a top DL that only makes LW that much more disposable.

We end up getting a young stud DL to stack our front 7. Williams was an almost unanimous best player in his class so I see this as superb value.

What does everyone think about this hypothetical?

Is that even realistic or am I seeing through my orange and blue lenses?

Would you do this? Why? Why not?

Comment

Working...
                                X