Everything 2019 NFL Draft... Let's Go Broncos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
    What's wrong with Lock? Notwithstanding the hype from the Lock Fans on this Board who must be feeling a little silly about now, he was never a 1st Round talent. And every GM in the league passing on him proves that simple fact. Elway showed his commitment to our actual Starter, Joe Flacco, by Drafting him another weapon. People need to forget about Lock. Especially all the Mock Draft guru's on the Internet who claimed to know that Elway had a "man-crush" on Lock. Joe Flacco is our QB. And he is no more of a "Bridge QB" than any other QB in the league is a "Bridge QB" for their teams next QB. I think we have spent enough wasted time on the subject of "Lock".
    I don't feel silly at all. We need a long term QB. We don't have one. We have an aging, sometimes injured, slightly over the hill player, who is apparently the guy who is going to take us to the promised land. Nothing wrong with signing him for a season, but nothing wrong with looking into the future, and Lock is young, talented, and has time to improve.

Folks who think that we will find our QB next year are really forgetting the risk. We may finish better in the standings, therefore the studs may be gone...OR we will have to sell the farm to land them. Plus, there may be more teams interested. Finally, very few college QBs are a guarantee.

I am quite sure that had someone said back in December that Flacco was going to be our guy, hardly any would have been excited....in a good way. This reminds me a bit of the Case Keenum hype. Case is a decent player, but he only had one good season. Flacco is near done.

I am not here to critique, but I do not feel "silly". Just because Lock is not taken yet, does not mean he will be a poor choice. Drafts can be confusing at times. And as we all know, the hit rate, even in round one, is not that high. These "experts" who select players, are not near perfect.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
      I don't feel silly at all. We need a long term QB. We don't have one. We have an aging, sometimes injured, slightly over the hill player, who is apparently the guy who is going to take us to the promised land. Nothing wrong with signing him for a season, but nothing wrong with looking into the future, and Lock is young, talented, and has time to improve.

Folks who think that we will find our QB next year are really forgetting the risk. We may finish better in the standings, therefore the studs may be gone...OR we will have to sell the farm to land them. Plus, there may be more teams interested. Finally, very few college QBs are a guarantee.

I am quite sure that had someone said back in December that Flacco was going to be our guy, hardly any would have been excited....in a good way. This reminds me a bit of the Case Keenum hype. Case is a decent player, but he only had one good season. Flacco is near done.

I am not here to critique, but I do not feel "silly". Just because Lock is not taken yet, does not mean he will be a poor choice. Drafts can be confusing at times. And as we all know, the hit rate, even in round one, is not that high. These "experts" who select players, are not near perfect.
      I'm with you brotatoe chip!! I for one would be ecstatic if we still ended up with Lock. We would have a young group of solid offensive weapons ready to take over

Comment

• Originally posted by dgobronco View Post
        After sleeping on it, Fant could wind up being a great pick if he makes a Kelce type impact. If he garners comparisons to Shannon Sharpe down the road, I think we’ll all be thrilled with the pick. But it feels like a “last piece” move for a team that’s close rather than one with a long ways to go. I hope today brings help in the trenches on both sides. I’m OK with rolling the dice on Flacco because the QBs available are all a gamble, but I do hope we add a young QB with potential to develop.
        Same here. I've been wrapping my head around it. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if we carry 4 TE's on the roster, and end up using a lot of 2TE formations on game day. From what I understand Flacco uses TE's well. As far as Fant I can't help thinking of him as more Julius Thomas than Shannon Sharpe, although that Sharpe comparison may not be very far off at all. I'm thinking that the plan is to use Huerman like we would have used Hockenson and let Fant be Fant. Should be fun to watch and our Offense has been horribly inconsistent for years. Maybe this is what they needed.
        Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

• Originally posted by JW7 View Post
          Best WR in the draft. Damnit.
          Harry may not be the best in this draft, but I think he is one of the best. He has crazy skills, and is a strong receiver. Brady is going to love this guy. Unfortunately, as long as he is a pat, he will probably make me unhappy.

Comment

We've already got some revisionist history - Lock not a first round talent? Actually he was graded higher than Noah Fant by NFL.com (they both had first round grades). This doesnt even take into consideration that Fant plays a dependent position, and Lock plays the most important position in Football.

Lock - 5.98
            Fant - 5.90

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/drew-l...c-a47f8df1d41b

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/noah-f...0-db7e36dbc0d7

Comment

I am quite sure that had someone said back in December that Flacco was going to be our guy, hardly any would have been excited....in a good way.
              Not in December, but at the end of the first week of last January I drank too much coffee one day and started daydreaming about trading Keenum for Flacco. Started a thread about it on another board. Said I thought it would be fun. So...it's my fault. I'm sorry.

Comment

• Originally posted by listopencil View Post
                Not in December, but at the end of the first week of last January I drank too much coffee one day and started daydreaming about trading Keenum for Flacco. Started a thread about it on another board. Said I thought it would be fun. So...it's my fault. I'm sorry.
                You're forgiven!

I used December, but I could have used any month last year. I seriously can't believe more than 10% of our fanbase would have liked a Joe Flacco Is The Future storyline. I was not big on Case either, so let me vent just a little. I get a bit jealous when I see young stud QBs making their mark. Hey, we can't all land Mahomes, Mayfield, and possibly Murray types. But Flacco is exactly who we think he is.....a decent career QB, with a ring, who is slowing down. Not a bad situation, IF you have a succession plan.

Comment

• Originally posted by dgobronco View Post
                  After sleeping on it, Fant could wind up being a great pick if he makes a Kelce type impact. If he garners comparisons to Shannon Sharpe down the road, I think we’ll all be thrilled with the pick. But it feels like a “last piece” move for a team that’s close rather than one with a long ways to go. I hope today brings help in the trenches on both sides. I’m OK with rolling the dice on Flacco because the QBs available are all a gamble, but I do hope we add a young QB with potential to develop.
                  I feel like taking the second string college te in the first round, is the worst draft day decision since Ashley Lelie.
                  GO BRONCOS AFC Champs!!!
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncoStampede View Post
                    We've already got some revisionist history - Lock not a first round talent? Actually he was graded higher than Noah Fant by NFL.com (they both had first round grades). This doesnt even take into consideration that Fant plays a dependent position, and Lock plays the most important position in Football.

Lock - 5.98
                    Fant - 5.90

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/drew-l...c-a47f8df1d41b

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/noah-f...0-db7e36dbc0d7
                    Sound like we should fire our whole staff and just hire some guy to draft based on what the NFL.com profile says...

Why are so many people using this as the only source of 'expert analysis?'

Drew Lock is a project and the people who study film as their job tend to all agree.
                    sigpic

Comment

• I dont feel silly . I think Lock is gonna be a good NFL Qb. Just because teams passed on him doesnt mean he sucks. 23 teams passed on Aaron Rodgers . It just meant those teams had more pressing areas to attend to . My top 2 picks were White and Bush . Now in the 2nd round you get Lock for good value I think. I still think he winds up better then Murray . If it werent for Cardinals who knows where Murray goes. I feel that Bush should have been our choice @10 . Even though his dress attire is questionable lol.

Btw there was zero consensus on any of the QBs in this draft of being 1st round QBs. So basically I guess it means Lock will be drafted where he should .
                      Last edited by orange crush75; 04-26-2019, 09:00 AM.

Comment

You're forgiven!

I used December, but I could have used any month last year. I seriously can't believe more than 10% of our fanbase would have liked a Joe Flacco Is The Future storyline. I was not big on Case either, so let me vent just a little. I get a bit jealous when I see young stud QBs making their mark. Hey, we can't all land Mahomes, Mayfield, and possibly Murray types. But Flacco is exactly who we think he is.....a decent career QB, with a ring, who is slowing down. Not a bad situation, IF you have a succession plan.
                        I agree. I liked Haskins, honestly. I think he's going to be really good. I wouldn't have freaked out if we had grabbed him at #10. But now he's a Redskin so he'll suffer a gruesome leg injury, poor guy. I wouldn't have freaked out if we got Luck at #20 either but I never thought Luck was all that great. He's got a live arm but that's all I really saw in him.

Comment

• I kinda hope we snag Drew Lock today. If he falls into our laps in the second, that will be an absolute steal.
                          sigpic

Comment

• So gang.....what do you think about what The Giants did? And Oakland? With 3 firsts you should score pretty big. I think The Giants went too high with Jones, and wasted an opportunity to land a stud DE, as in Josh Allen. I don't mind Jones, but at 17, or Baker. They could have got 2 starters and a future QB,

I am confused with Oakland's first pick. Apparently a "character" pick, but Ferrell was not ranked high by anyone. They needed a DE, and again, Allen was there, or even a stud like Oliver. Jacobs makes sense, as they want a 3 down back, and he was the best in the draft. I'm also ok with Abram, as a hard nosed Safety, to bolster their D.

When you have 3 firsts, you better score big.

Comment

• Originally posted by duhyaj View Post
                              I feel like taking the second string college te in the first round, is the worst draft day decision since Ashley Lelie.

Go watch some highlight reels of the guy and also some video breakdowns on Youtube. Fant is a legit threat at the TE position. Ashley Lelie was a horrible route runner with mediocre hands.

Comment

• Originally posted by JW7 View Post
                                Sound like we should fire our whole staff and just hire some guy to draft based on what the NFL.com profile says...

Why are so many people using this as the only source of 'expert analysis?'

Drew Lock is a project and the people who study film as their job tend to all agree.
                                I found it strange that both LAC and NE passed on him.
                                With older QBs (still playing) I would have thought both of those teams would have jumped on the chance at the 5th year option.

I didn't want to draft him at 10 but now I'm a bit worried to go after him with 41. I guess we will know his league perceived risk/reward value as he should be an early target if he is truly looked at as "slipping".

Comment

Working...
                                X