Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drafting at 15. We might have to trade back and shift draft strategies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drafting at 15. We might have to trade back and shift draft strategies.

All season I was hoping for a top 10 draft pick, but my gut told me that wouldn't be the case. I actually posted somewhere (can't remember where) that at the time, we were one of the worst 2 teams in football (week 5) and we weren't even going to draft in the top 10. Of course I was met with plenty of responses telling me I was a moron because OF COURSE we will draft top 10, probably top 5. Well, unfortunately I was right. So, at 15, it's possible the top 3 WRs are gone, the top 2 OL, and probably one or two of the best CBs. In my mind, that means we look MLB, but with only 1 rated in the top 25 and 5 in the top 100, doesn't seem likely there will be any value at 15. So trading back actually seems like it could be a good idea. If we move back to the late 20s, snag a CB (Lot of good ones this year), add a 2nd rounder for the trade back, we could grab a couple top quality players in the second, then 2 more in the 3rd. That would give us 5 picks in the first 3 rounds. Not bad, if we make the right selections.

Thoughts?
    All it takes to win is doing whatever it takes to win: COMMITMENT

You watch, there will be 2 middle linebackers who climb into the top 15 after all the pre-draft activities, and the guy you want wont even be there. It happens every year with the position due to the lack of depth in every linebacker class going back to the year Trevethan came out. I would be more incline to trade up and secure one elite prospect if the chance presented itself. I still don't trust Elway with middle round picks, and packaging them to go up and grab a top 8 talent is something I'd be interested in.

Comment

It will be good to get speed times and official measurable at the combine, there is still a lot to learn, but right now there are at least 6 WRs, 5 OLs, and 4CBs I would take before I ever considered a MLB in this draft. Unless you are considering Isiah Simmons a MLB.

I do like the idea of trading back to pick up another second like last year. I would still go OL or WR if we did that.

I think Ruggs or Reagor would be perfect compliments to our WR corp. I am actually partial to Raegor given my choice. Track guy that is built like a RB. Given Lock’s arm it would be really nice to have a guy that can take the top off the D. If either of these guys run as fast as expected they would be great additions.

Even if we draft a WR, I think we need 2-3 OL in this draft and my preference is 2 in our first 5 picks.

I think Austin Jackson, Leatherwood, Becton, Willis will all be starters in the league for a long time. I think Thomas will be gone and while I like Wirfs I don’t think he is a great fit for our team. I also think there are good OL options in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of this draft.

All of them seem to be better options than a MLB, IMO of course

Comment

Darn you Drew Lock 😉

We had a top 5 pick locked up until he started playing.

In all seriousness though we need to focus on the trenches, mainly offensive line. If Willis is there at 15 you take him, plain and simple. I think our 1st and 2nd round picks should be o-line and Munch should be picking them.

Comment

Multiple mocks have us picking up Tee Higgins, WR, Clemson at 15...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cns3ctH57Gc

Comment

Originally posted by myoung View Post
            It will be good to get speed times and official measurable at the combine, there is still a lot to learn, but right now there are at least 6 WRs, 5 OLs, and 4CBs I would take before I ever considered a MLB in this draft. Unless you are considering Isiah Simmons a MLB.

I do like the idea of trading back to pick up another second like last year. I would still go OL or WR if we did that.

I think Ruggs or Reagor would be perfect compliments to our WR corp. I am actually partial to Raegor given my choice. Track guy that is built like a RB. Given Lock’s arm it would be really nice to have a guy that can take the top off the D. If either of these guys run as fast as expected they would be great additions.

Even if we draft a WR, I think we need 2-3 OL in this draft and my preference is 2 in our first 5 picks.

I think Austin Jackson, Leatherwood, Becton, Willis will all be starters in the league for a long time. I think Thomas will be gone and while I like Wirfs I don’t think he is a great fit for our team. I also think there are good OL options in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of this draft.

All of them seem to be better options than a MLB, IMO of course
            Simmons is a top 5 player if not top 10 just cause his range.

Expecially with fangio I am not sure I'd take any wr over Simmons. The amount of field he can cover and as quick as he can is special. He will run low 4.5 high 4.4 at 6'4 230 pounds. If I where to say the physical traits and cover abilities I would want from a lb Simmons would be it.
            sigpic
            oakland raders gm
            latavis murray trade bait

Comment

As of right now, I see Denver going after Tee Higgins at 15 but players stock will rise n fall a lot in the next couple months.

Comment

Hoping for a top 10 draft pick, eg. hoping for losses, with a user name of Letswinplz. I find myself sightly confused.

I'd have to go back and check the responses though to the post you referred to. If someone called you a moron we need to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Murph2432 View Post
                  As of right now, I see Denver going after Tee Higgins at 15 but players stock will rise n fall a lot in the next couple months.
                  Ih god please no there are like 5 or 6 wr I'd take over Higgins we have a faster Higgins type wr in Sutton already.
                  sigpic
                  oakland raders gm

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
                    Simmons is a top 5 player if not top 10 just cause his range.

Expecially with fangio I am not sure I'd take any wr over Simmons. The amount of field he can cover and as quick as he can is special. He will run low 4.5 high 4.4 at 6'4 230 pounds. If I where to say the physical traits and cover abilities I would want from a lb Simmons would be it.
                    Totally agree with you. My point was that there is not a ILB worth taking in the first unless you want to call Simmons an ILB. I am not sure what position he will play but I believe he will go top 10 and could be top 5 as you have suggested. My guess is that he ends up as SAM in a 4-3 or a hybrid safety / LB in a 3-4. I do not consider him a legitimate option for us at 15, but I would not trade up for him either. I also want to see how big he really is, I feel like 230 might be a stretch as his playing weight.

I didn't want my statements about the number of OL, WR, and CB to be taken in a way that I thought there were that many better than Simmons. My comparisons were aimed at Kenneth Murray or Dylan Moses depending on your preference as the top ILB in this draft.

Comment

I’m all for staying put and seeing how the draft plays out. At #15, I estimate at least one of the top three tackles are still on the board (likely Wirfs OR Wills Jr.). I also think Ruggs III might be available there, but if not, Higgins and Shenault and pretty much every receiver besides Jeudy/Lamb will be available. As far as corners go, I think Okudah and Fulton are ones that are for sure gone by the time we pick. We get to choose from Diggs, Wade, Adebo, among others. Want a DL? Kinlaw would be on the board and he’s a guy I could imagine being in this league for over a decade. And if, for some god-forbidden reason we are unable to re-sign Justin Simmons, I am sure Delpit would be available where we pick.

Comment

Originally posted by myoung View Post
                        Totally agree with you. My point was that there is not a ILB worth taking in the first unless you want to call Simmons an ILB. I am not sure what position he will play but I believe he will go top 10 and could be top 5 as you have suggested. My guess is that he ends up as SAM in a 4-3 or a hybrid safety / LB in a 3-4. I do not consider him a legitimate option for us at 15, but I would not trade up for him either. I also want to see how big he really is, I feel like 230 might be a stretch as his playing weight.

I didn't want my statements about the number of OL, WR, and CB to be taken in a way that I thought there were that many better than Simmons. My comparisons were aimed at Kenneth Murray or Dylan Moses depending on your preference as the top ILB in this draft.
                        Simmons in our scheme would be a ilb. He would also compliment johnson well in he could be the speedy athletic backer and johnson could be the more down hill aggressive tackler. Plus he instantly becomes our best 3 down backer which is something we need taking fangio loves the 2-4-5. It is pretty necessary to have 2 good cover lbs
                        Last edited by Kyousukeneko; 12-31-2019, 10:51 AM.
                        sigpic
                        oakland raders gm

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
                          Simmons in our scheme would be a ilb. He would also compliment johnson well in he could be the speedy athletic backer and johnson could be the more down hill aggressive tackler. Plus he instantly becomes our best 3 down backer which is something we need taking fangio loves the 2-4-5. It is pretty necessary to have 2 good cover lbs
                          We had a pretty strong pass defense this year. The same can't be said for our OL or our WR corps. I would rather invest in keeping some of our existing Defensive players and invest the draft in our offense. I would be ok if somehow landed Simmons at 15 but I would not give up draft capital to move up to get him. We need to fix our offense at some point. The strength of this draft is WRs and blockers. It wold be a shame to not take advantage of it. I hope we pick 2-3 OL in the first 5 picks and we pick up a speed receiver soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
                            Hoping for a top 10 draft pick, eg. hoping for losses, with a user name of Letswinplz. I find myself sightly confused.

I'd have to go back and check the responses though to the post you referred to. If someone called you a moron we need to deal with that.
                            Good gravy my side hurts from laughing at this . ........I'm still smiling haha

Comment

We are not taking a WR in the first. At least not at pick 15. If we move back to late 20s we may. The WR will fall. There are a lot of good ones this year. They will fall!

As of now I believe it will be:
                              CB,DL,OL (in that order). There are a couple good OGs we can nab in the 2nd and move up for if needed. There are plenty of good WR we can have in the 2nd and 3rd. CB and DL are coming up a bit softer.
                              So far:
                              FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
                              1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

Working...
                              X