Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drafting at 15. We might have to trade back and shift draft strategies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jonny_Quest View Post
    Just to help you figure out where your math was wrong...

Will be plenty of talent left in the middle of the round. Never trade up for a RB/MLB. In fact, never trade up. You want more picks. Especially in a draft this loaded.
    I'm super confused. Did you reply to the wrong post? What does "we were one of the worst 2 teams in football (Week 5)" have to do with my "math", and how was my "math" wrong? I've pasted my original post below; please show me where I suggest we move up for a RB/MLB, or any position. I specifically state we should move back and get more picks. I honestly have no idea what you were trying to say with your post in relationship to mine.

All season I was hoping for a top 10 draft pick, but my gut told me that wouldn't be the case. I actually posted somewhere (can't remember where) that at the time, we were one of the worst 2 teams in football (week 5) and we weren't even going to draft in the top 10. Of course I was met with plenty of responses telling me I was a moron because OF COURSE we will draft top 10, probably top 5. Well, unfortunately I was right. So, at 15, it's possible the top 3 WRs are gone, the top 2 OL, and probably one or two of the best CBs. In my mind, that means we look MLB, but with only 1 rated in the top 25 and 5 in the top 100, doesn't seem likely there will be any value at 15. So trading back actually seems like it could be a good idea. If we move back to the late 20s, snag a CB (Lot of good ones this year), add a 2nd rounder for the trade back, we could grab a couple top quality players in the second, then 2 more in the 3rd. That would give us 5 picks in the first 3 rounds. Not bad, if we make the right selections.

Thoughts?
    All it takes to win is doing whatever it takes to win: COMMITMENT

Comment

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
      Hoping for a top 10 draft pick, eg. hoping for losses, with a user name of Letswinplz. I find myself sightly confused.

I'd have to go back and check the responses though to the post you referred to. If someone called you a moron we need to deal with that.
      Turns out it wasn't a comment, it was an original post, of mine, and I said top 5, not top 10 (apparently I underestimated us, or how bad everyone else was, or both). And no one actually called me a moron, just assured me we would draft top 5.

Comment

Stopped reading after the first half. Congrats.
        Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o '16

Comment

Found this from my "we are the 2nd worst team in football and will draft outside the top 5" thread. Didn't do it exactly like this, but the result was the same.

"Or we'll go 0-9 and win the last 7 and that'll allow people to pat themselves on the back while putting square in the middle of the draft."

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoooJohnson View Post
            Stopped reading after the first half. Congrats.
            You're not suggesting it's difficult to get you to give up, are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Letswinplz77 View Post
              I'm super confused. Did you reply to the wrong post? What does "we were one of the worst 2 teams in football (Week 5)" have to do with my "math", and how was my "math" wrong? I've pasted my original post below; please show me where I suggest we move up for a RB/MLB, or any position. I specifically state we should move back and get more picks. I honestly have no idea what you were trying to say with your post in relationship to mine.

All season I was hoping for a top 10 draft pick, but my gut told me that wouldn't be the case. I actually posted somewhere (can't remember where) that at the time, we were one of the worst 2 teams in football (week 5) and we weren't even going to draft in the top 10. Of course I was met with plenty of responses telling me I was a moron because OF COURSE we will draft top 10, probably top 5. Well, unfortunately I was right. So, at 15, it's possible the top 3 WRs are gone, the top 2 OL, and probably one or two of the best CBs. In my mind, that means we look MLB, but with only 1 rated in the top 25 and 5 in the top 100, doesn't seem likely there will be any value at 15. So trading back actually seems like it could be a good idea. If we move back to the late 20s, snag a CB (Lot of good ones this year), add a 2nd rounder for the trade back, we could grab a couple top quality players in the second, then 2 more in the 3rd. That would give us 5 picks in the first 3 rounds. Not bad, if we make the right selections.

Thoughts?
              We're 3 horribly blown officiating calls from being 10-6. We're nowhere near being the second worst team in the league. Based on how good this team is, we should probably be picking in the low-to-mid 20s.

It's not some miscarriage of justice that we're picking outside of the top 10. It's a steal on our part to be picking below 20.

Comment

We're 3 horribly blown officiating calls from being 10-6. We're nowhere near being the second worst team in the league. Based on how good this team is, we should probably be picking in the low-to-mid 20s.

It's not some miscarriage of justice that we're picking outside of the top 10. It's a steal on our part to be picking below 20.
                We are not a 10-6 team. Believe whatever you want about a few blown calls but we had a bottom 5 offense all year and terrible play calling. We have a D that played very well but not enough to carry us into the playoffs. We could have easily lost to the Chargers and Raiders. It goes both ways.

I am incredibly optimistic about the way we finished the season, but I do not believe we are one of the top 5 teams in the AFC this year. I think 7-9 is a fair ending. Happy to see where we are headed, but realistic enough to realize we are not just a few blown calls or one small piece away from the super bowl

Comment

Originally posted by myoung View Post
                  We are not a 10-6 team. Believe whatever you want about a few blown calls but we had a bottom 5 offense all year and terrible play calling. We have a D that played very well but not enough to carry us into the playoffs. We could have easily lost to the Chargers and Raiders. It goes both ways.

I am incredibly optimistic about the way we finished the season, but I do not believe we are one of the top 5 teams in the AFC this year. I think 7-9 is a fair ending. Happy to see where we are headed, but realistic enough to realize we are not just a few blown calls or one small piece away from the super bowl
                  Yes...we were 3 horrible calls in the final minute of 3 games from being a 10-6 team.

Comment

Yes...we were 3 horrible calls in the final minute of 3 games from being a 10-6 team.
                    If we would have won those early games there’s little to no chance Drew Lock plays this season. Elway would have done something stupid like trade for Andy Dalton at the deadline. Things worked out the way they did for a reason.

Comment

So back to the topic of drafting at 15....

Comment

Working...
                      X