Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broncos prospects 2020 (5 selections top 100)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Broncos prospects 2020 (5 selections top 100)

    I love the fact that I can come here and learn about prospects I would not ordinarily seek out. Here are some guys I hope are there and we consider when we draft. Would love to hear some other options that other posters are hoping are on Denver's short list.

    Rd1- Isaiah Simmons (LB Clemson)- the guy we have been looking for to help cover TEs for years. With Waller, Kelce and Henry in the division this needs to be addressed this year.

    Rd2- KJ Hamler (WR Penn State)- Where Simmons is the Swiss army knife of the defense, Hamler is that offensive version. With blazing speed and elusiveness I don't know how secondaries could cover Fant and Sutton and Hamler without somebody being seriously overmatched.

    Rd3- Jeff Gladney (CB TCU)- Gladney is a really solid CB with good tackling ability. He has a chance to really improve his stock at the senior bowl and might not make it here, but I would love to add a CB like Gladney who IMO has the ability to be a #1 corner in short time.

    Rd3- Calvin Throckmorten (OL Oregon)- Throckmorten is a versatile lineman with close to 40 starts across the line at different positions. A player with his versatility would be great for our depth and his game and strength have improved each season since earning a start as a redshirt freshman.

    Rd3- Scott Frantz (OL Kansas State)- Frantz is 3 year starter with good strength. This may be a bit high for him, but the former teammate and friend of Dalton Risner has good strength and skills for Munchak to hone in. I would like to see these guys get a chance to play together again. Familiarity never hurts, especially along the oline.

    No DL selections is a glaring omission and hard to ignore, but I am holding out hope there are guys Fangio is planning to pillage from the NFCN or the AFCW that he knows could work well for him/us. Fangio seems to know exactly what type player he is looking for. I think there will be guys available via FA that wont break the bank.

  • #2
    Originally posted by atwaterandstir View Post
    I love the fact that I can come here and learn about prospects I would not ordinarily seek out. Here are some guys I hope are there and we consider when we draft. Would love to hear some other options that other posters are hoping are on Denver's short list.

    Rd1- Isaiah Simmons (LB Clemson)- the guy we have been looking for to help cover TEs for years. With Waller, Kelce and Henry in the division this needs to be addressed this year.

    Rd2- KJ Hamler (WR Penn State)- Where Simmons is the Swiss army knife of the defense, Hamler is that offensive version. With blazing speed and elusiveness I don't know how secondaries could cover Fant and Sutton and Hamler without somebody being seriously overmatched.

    Rd3- Jeff Gladney (CB TCU)- Gladney is a really solid CB with good tackling ability. He has a chance to really improve his stock at the senior bowl and might not make it here, but I would love to add a CB like Gladney who IMO has the ability to be a #1 corner in short time.

    Rd3- Calvin Throckmorten (OL Oregon)- Throckmorten is a versatile lineman with close to 40 starts across the line at different positions. A player with his versatility would be great for our depth and his game and strength have improved each season since earning a start as a redshirt freshman.

    Rd3- Scott Frantz (OL Kansas State)- Frantz is 3 year starter with good strength. This may be a bit high for him, but the former teammate and friend of Dalton Risner has good strength and skills for Munchak to hone in. I would like to see these guys get a chance to play together again. Familiarity never hurts, especially along the oline.

    No DL selections is a glaring omission and hard to ignore, but I am holding out hope there are guys Fangio is planning to pillage from the NFCN or the AFCW that he knows could work well for him/us. Fangio seems to know exactly what type player he is looking for. I think there will be guys available via FA that wont break the bank.
    Outside of me thinking alot of those picks mainly Simmons and Gladney won't be there. But the draft if it turned out like this would probably be good. I am still worried about our tackle spots with this draft
    sigpic
    oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
      Outside of me thinking alot of those picks mainly Simmons and Gladney won't be there. But the draft if it turned out like this would probably be good. I am still worried about our tackle spots with this draft
      Simmons may not be within our reach, but looking at the draft and needs of teams ahead of us I could see all three of Oakland, Indy, and NYJ selecting WRs if still available. I don't believe TB would take him either so if -and it's a big if- he makes it to 10, he truly could make it to us. Much like Derwin James did 2 years ago with the Chargers at 17.

      Kenneth Murray out of Oklahoma would be another good prospect. His coverage skills and athleticism would be a great fit if Simmons is gone.
      Last edited by atwaterandstir; 01-01-2020, 11:04 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Well one thing Fangio has always had great linebackers in his defenses. I can easily see him taking Simmons, even trading up for him. Regardless of LB, CB or DL I think defense is going to be the 1st pick

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by atwaterandstir View Post
          Simmons may not be within our reach, but looking at the draft and needs of teams ahead of us I could see all three of Oakland, Indy, and NYJ selecting WRs if still available. I don't believe TB would take him either so if -and it's a big if- he makes it to 10, he truly could make it to us. Much like Derwin James did 2 years ago with the Chargers at 17.

          Kenneth Murray out of Oklahoma would be another good prospect. His coverage skills and athleticism would be a great fit if Simmons is gone.
          I don't know Murray feels like a reach that high
          sigpic
          oakland raders gm
          latavis murray trade bait

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
            I don't know Murray feels like a reach that high
            I think he is a great fit and Fangio would be smiling ear to ear if we got either Simmons or Murray. These guys have the skill sets that cause problems for everyone.

            The Raiders pick at 12 and 19 and I don't see Gruden passing on Murray twice. He is in that D Brooks mold that will be a true 3 down player and center piece of a defense. I don't believe he will make it out of the top 20 myself. I will admit he's one of my favorite prospects, but every time I watch him play he's is making or cleaning up everything. I would love this guy in our defense for 10 years. Walterfootball is linking Murray to the Raiders as well and I really hope that doesn't happen.
            Last edited by atwaterandstir; 01-01-2020, 01:50 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Love the picks. ILB Simmons be perfect and love the gladney pick (as a TCU fan) watched him last 2 years he has been lights out in the Big 12
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by atwaterandstir View Post
                I think he is a great fit and Fangio would be smiling ear to ear if we got either Simmons or Murray. These guys have the skill sets that cause problems for everyone.

                The Raiders pick at 12 and 19 and I don't see Gruden passing on Murray twice. He is in that D Brooks mold that will be a true 3 down player and center piece of a defense. I don't believe he will make it out of the top 20 myself. I will admit he's one of my favorite prospects, but every time I watch him play he's is making or cleaning up everything. I would love this guy in our defense for 10 years. Walterfootball is linking Murray to the Raiders as well and I really hope that doesn't happen.
                Isn’t this what everyone said last year with Devon Bush? We were a lock to take him because Fangio just loves LBs.

                Our pass D was pretty good this year, I would be surprised if we took Murray. With all of WRs, CBs, and OTs that are legit first round prospects it would be so disappointing to reach for Murray. Let’s fix our bigger problems on offense

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by myoung View Post
                  Isn’t this what everyone said last year with Devon Bush? We were a lock to take him because Fangio just loves LBs.

                  Our pass D was pretty good this year, I would be surprised if we took Murray. With all of WRs, CBs, and OTs that are legit first round prospects it would be so disappointing to reach for Murray. Let’s fix our bigger problems on offense
                  For a decade we have been torched by TEs and RBs and all 3 teams in our divisions have legit top 10 recieving options at those positions. Outside of a few lucky breaks against oakland and we lose because our inability to cover waller. Kelce in KC. Hunter henry and ekelar from the chargers. They all kill us every game. We definitely need a coverage ILB.


                  The thing that seperates Simmons from both bush and white last year is his ability to be moved into so many matchups and positions and all at an extremely high level. This makes his draft value even greater.

                  Then theres the level of play you get from a rookie. DL and TE are notoriously hard where as ILB and RB present to be the easiest path to instant impact.
                  I need more Oline, please and thank you

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    What I like about your picks is your thinking BPA. Elway has been doing well with this and it's been paying dividends.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Alaskajoe View Post
                      For a decade we have been torched by TEs and RBs and all 3 teams in our divisions have legit top 10 recieving options at those positions. Outside of a few lucky breaks against oakland and we lose because our inability to cover waller. Kelce in KC. Hunter henry and ekelar from the chargers. They all kill us every game. We definitely need a coverage ILB.


                      The thing that seperates Simmons from both bush and white last year is his ability to be moved into so many matchups and positions and all at an extremely high level. This makes his draft value even greater.

                      Then theres the level of play you get from a rookie. DL and TE are notoriously hard where as ILB and RB present to be the easiest path to instant impact.
                      I don’t disagree that it is a need, I just consider it minor compared to the other problems we have. I agree Simmons is a great prospect and if he was there at 15 it would be a great pick. I don’t think he will be there and I don’t want to trade up. Murray is a MASSIVE drop off and I would not consider drafting him in n the first. I do like Woodward as a day 3 guy. I think he would have been a second rounder if not for the injury.

                      Our D, especially pass D, was pretty good this year. Our offense couldn’t score. The Oline struggled and we need some more speed to open it up ( and less conservative play calling). I would love to invest big in OL this year. I also think it would be crazy to pass of the WRs in this draft. It is unnaturally loaded and we should take advantage of it.

                      Simmons would be a great find at 15 but unlikely. We can’t be reaching to take the next best ILB, to chase a lesser need while ignoring our problems that are causing us to lose football game.

                      As far as instant impact, IMO that should not be a factor in the draft. Too short sighted and results in bad decisions. Plus we should be viewing this as a multi year build. Hopefully we have our QB, now build around him.

                      BPA within some parameters (range of positions).

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by atwaterandstir View Post
                        I think he is a great fit and Fangio would be smiling ear to ear if we got either Simmons or Murray. These guys have the skill sets that cause problems for everyone.

                        The Raiders pick at 12 and 19 and I don't see Gruden passing on Murray twice. He is in that D Brooks mold that will be a true 3 down player and center piece of a defense. I don't believe he will make it out of the top 20 myself. I will admit he's one of my favorite prospects, but every time I watch him play he's is making or cleaning up everything. I would love this guy in our defense for 10 years. Walterfootball is linking Murray to the Raiders as well and I really hope that doesn't happen.
                        I just don't see the first round talent. He looked okay vs baylor but the dbs impressed me more. And he looked bad vs lsu but so did that ok unit they couldn't stop lsu period. I just don't think Murray will step into this league and be a top linebacker and you find guys like him in the later rounds. From the 2 game I saw of murray vs baylor in the big 12 ship and vs lsu in the playoffs he looked disappointing and I wouldn't touch him till the second there are just way better prospects then him that will be open. Give me a Willis Leatherwood Fulton Diggs Willson Viska Ruggs. Not to mention those are just that may be available when we pick. Reaching for Murray would be a huge mistake
                        sigpic
                        oakland raders gm
                        latavis murray trade bait

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by atwaterandstir View Post
                          Simmons may not be within our reach, but looking at the draft and needs of teams ahead of us I could see all three of Oakland, Indy, and NYJ selecting WRs if still available. I don't believe TB would take him either so if -and it's a big if- he makes it to 10, he truly could make it to us. Much like Derwin James did 2 years ago with the Chargers at 17.

                          Kenneth Murray out of Oklahoma would be another good prospect. His coverage skills and athleticism would be a great fit if Simmons is gone.
                          I haven't seen any mocks, but I can't imagine him falling to us. James falling was pretty crazy to some of us, but I remember some people not being sold. Everybody seems to be drinking the Simmons Kool Aid. I guess it's possible, but I can't see that many teams taking need over talent.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by myoung View Post
                            I don’t disagree that it is a need, I just consider it minor compared to the other problems we have. I agree Simmons is a great prospect and if he was there at 15 it would be a great pick. I don’t think he will be there and I don’t want to trade up. Murray is a MASSIVE drop off and I would not consider drafting him in n the first. I do like Woodward as a day 3 guy. I think he would have been a second rounder if not for the injury.

                            Our D, especially pass D, was pretty good this year. Our offense couldn’t score. The Oline struggled and we need some more speed to open it up ( and less conservative play calling). I would love to invest big in OL this year. I also think it would be crazy to pass of the WRs in this draft. It is unnaturally loaded and we should take advantage of it.

                            Simmons would be a great find at 15 but unlikely. We can’t be reaching to take the next best ILB, to chase a lesser need while ignoring our problems that are causing us to lose football game.

                            As far as instant impact, IMO that should not be a factor in the draft. Too short sighted and results in bad decisions. Plus we should be viewing this as a multi year build. Hopefully we have our QB, now build around him.

                            BPA within some parameters (range of positions).
                            The emergence of AJ Johnson has been great so I agree Murray wouldn't necessarily be someone who matches our 1st Rd value/need. I just love the way he plays with such great speed and seemingly has a feel for everything coming. I just think he is great for Fangios style which often gives up the small stuff to limit anything big. Speedy swarming defenders to the ball is what he is preaches.

                            As for Simmons, our pass defense is often targeted via the TE. Only 4 teams were targeted more and only 3 I believe gave up more yards per game to the position. While it wasn't a huge issue and our defense did well against big scoring plays, it does show us a bit how teams scout us and game plan. Simmons would be a great addition and the more I watch him the more I feel he could really make teams pay if they want to continue that route.

                            Some real speed at WR and help with the Oline and covering the TE......whatever rds those come from I will be happy.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
                              I just don't see the first round talent. He looked okay vs baylor but the dbs impressed me more. And he looked bad vs lsu but so did that ok unit they couldn't stop lsu period. I just don't think Murray will step into this league and be a top linebacker and you find guys like him in the later rounds. From the 2 game I saw of murray vs baylor in the big 12 ship and vs lsu in the playoffs he looked disappointing and I wouldn't touch him till the second there are just way better prospects then him that will be open. Give me a Willis Leatherwood Fulton Diggs Willson Viska Ruggs. Not to mention those are just that may be available when we pick. Reaching for Murray would be a huge mistake
                              In fairness though the LSU game Murray did grab for his hamstring early in the game and had to come out. He did finish but it was clear something (other than the beat down) was bothering him.

                              I may be guilty of fandom of this guy, but to me he stands out at the position and with players like Micah Parsons and Dylan Moses going back to school, I don't see many needy LB teams passing on him.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X