Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How expensive is Justin Simmons going to be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    The Bears just made Eddie Jackson the highest paid safety with a 4 year 58.4 million dollar deal. Simmons isn’t as good as Jackson so I’d say Simmons will be in the 11-13 mil range.
    It won't be a who's better discussion, it'll be a template for the final contract.

Comment

i think you pay him like a top 5 safety in this league which means 13.75 or higher million a year.
      sigpic
      oakland raders gm
      latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
        It won't be a who's better discussion, it'll be a template for the final contract.
        Ehh maybe if they were similar but Jackson even after a down year is the best safety in the NFL. Simmons may be top 10 after this season but I don’t think he’s top 5. If he was top 5 then yeah he’d probably top that, but I think he’ll end up with a salary closer to the franchise tag amount of 12 mil than that 15 mil mark.

Comment

Ehh maybe if they were similar but Jackson even after a down year is the best safety in the NFL. Simmons may be top 10 after this season but I don’t think he’s top 5. If he was top 5 then yeah he’d probably top that, but I think he’ll end up with a salary closer to the franchise tag amount of 12 mil than that 15 mil mark.
          If Landon Collins gets 14 m a year then Simmons will probably get it. I would take Simmons over Collins. Collins still kinda struggles in coverage and has been meh in the pros. I feel Simmons has shown just as much if not more then Collins . I just don't see Simmons taking a contract that's lower then market value which is 14m. Expecially after a second team all pro. I mean who ever makes the all pro list thinks he is a top 4 s in this league. Also if you look at the all pro list only Mathieu is in the top five salaries at the position. He is due alot of money if we don't pay him 14m+ year I bet some one else will
          sigpic
          oakland raders gm
          latavis murray trade bait

Comment

We'll see. But Chicago was signing a player in a down year (coincidence that going from Fangio's scheme to Pagano's led to a down year?) while Denver is signing a player coming off his best year and clearly getting better.

It's not about who's the best at a position, or top 5 or top 10, it's about play the current or most recent season and when you become a free agent. That's the reason players like Trent Brown becomes the highest paid lineman in the league.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
              We'll see. But Chicago was signing a player in a down year (coincidence that going from Fangio's scheme to Pagano's led to a down year?) while Denver is signing a player coming off his best year and clearly getting better.

It's not about who's the best at a position, or top 5 or top 10, it's about play the current or most recent season and when you become a free agent. That's the reason players like Trent Brown becomes the highest paid lineman in the league.
              Safeties have had a finicky market the last few years with some of the better Safeties going in the later waves of FA. Safeties just aren’t valued the way they should be on the open market in the NFL.

Comment

I would take Adams, Fitzpatrick, and Derwin James before Jackson at this point.

Comment

With Kareem on the books at 14M this year, I have to assume somewhere just north of that - 14.5M range. I see lots of "expert" mock draft with us taking a safety in round 1 or 2 (Draftsite - yes, I know.. even has us taking two safeties in the first 2). They must assume we let Simmons walk, I can't see it. Simmons and Jackson are the best Safety group in the league (right beside Harris/Smith in Minni). Now, I think Parks goes elsewhere if Simmons is signed, and maybe even if he isn't he finds a job elsewhere. That could create huge holes in our DB spots because I don't think Harris Jr. will be here. Yiadom is a mess and who knows if Callahan is even on the roster next year.

It is going to be an expensive time to sign our own guys or take replacements with our 5 picks in the first 3 rounds. Would be nice to lock up our guys, but if we use our recent history I would guess we keep 2 of the 4 (Simmons, Harris Jr, Harris and Wolfe) and then have to decide on the OL (McGovern and FAs).

Good thing is that we have lots of money to spend. OL, Safety, CB, and DL will be the big spends - we still need help at LB and WR (this will be through the draft, although a veteran would be great).

Comment

Working...
                  X