Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting Senior Bowl numbers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Interesting Senior Bowl numbers

    Alex Taylor OT from South Carolina State absolutely dominated the measurable part of the Senior Bowl today. He was the tallest: 6'8.5
    Longest Arms: 36 1/8
    Biggest Hands: 11
    Longest Wingspan: 88

    If he can turn in a solid performance this week to go with the numbers, he might be a kid that moves quickly up the draft radar.

    Although to be fair the biggest worry could be his weight, he's "only" 308 pounds, which isn't as much on a 6'8.5 person.

    Other players of interest and their numbers:

    Josh Jones OT Houston: 6'5 311 pounds, 33 5/8 arm length
    Lloyd Cushenberry III C LSU: 6'3 312 pounds, 34 5/8 arm length
    Javon Kinlaw DT South Carolina: 6'5 315 pounds
    Leki Fotu DT Utah: 6'5 337 pounds
    Chase Claypool WR ND: 6'4 229 pounds (Canadian content)
    Prince Tega Wanogho OT Auburn: 6'5 307, 33 1/8 arm length

    Here's a link to all of the results.

    http://draftcountdown.com/2020/2020-...bowl-weigh-in/

    And here's a link to an interesting (and old) PFF article about whether arm length correlates to better play by an offensive tackle (it apparently doesn't)

    https://www.pff.com/news/does-arm-length-affect-ot-play

  • #2
    Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Alex Taylor OT from South Carolina State absolutely dominated the measurable part of the Senior Bowl today. He was the tallest: 6'8.5
    Longest Arms: 36 1/8
    Biggest Hands: 11
    Longest Wingspan: 88

    If he can turn in a solid performance this week to go with the numbers, he might be a kid that moves quickly up the draft radar.

    Although to be fair the biggest worry could be his weight, he's "only" 308 pounds, which isn't as much on a 6'8.5 person.

    Other players of interest and their numbers:

    Josh Jones OT Houston: 6'5 311 pounds, 33 5/8 arm length
    Lloyd Cushenberry III C LSU: 6'3 312 pounds, 34 5/8 arm length
    Javon Kinlaw DT South Carolina: 6'5 315 pounds
    Leki Fotu DT Utah: 6'5 337 pounds
    Chase Claypool WR ND: 6'4 229 pounds (Canadian content)
    Prince Tega Wanogho OT Auburn: 6'5 307, 33 1/8 arm length

    Here's a link to all of the results.

    http://draftcountdown.com/2020/2020-...bowl-weigh-in/

    And here's a link to an interesting (and old) PFF article about whether arm length correlates to better play by an offensive tackle (it apparently doesn't)

    https://www.pff.com/news/does-arm-length-affect-ot-play
    He is someone worth watching, imo
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by butler by'note View Post
      alex taylor ot from south carolina state absolutely dominated the measurable part of the senior bowl today. He was the tallest: 6'8.5
      longest arms: 36 1/8
      biggest hands: 11
      longest wingspan: 88

      if he can turn in a solid performance this week to go with the numbers, he might be a kid that moves quickly up the draft radar.

      Although to be fair the biggest worry could be his weight, he's "only" 308 pounds, which isn't as much on a 6'8.5 person.

      Other players of interest and their numbers:

      Josh jones ot houston: 6'5 311 pounds, 33 5/8 arm length
      lloyd cushenberry iii c lsu: 6'3 312 pounds, 34 5/8 arm length
      javon kinlaw dt south carolina: 6'5 315 pounds
      leki fotu dt utah: 6'5 337 pounds
      chase claypool wr nd: 6'4 229 pounds (canadian content)
      prince tega wanogho ot auburn: 6'5 307, 33 1/8 arm length

      here's a link to all of the results.

      http://draftcountdown.com/2020/2020-...bowl-weigh-in/

      and here's a link to an interesting (and old) pff article about whether arm length correlates to better play by an offensive tackle (it apparently doesn't)

      https://www.pff.com/news/does-arm-length-affect-ot-play
      Originally posted by broncos sb2010 View Post
      he is someone worth watching, imo
      preach it!!!

      Bring on the prince
      I need more Oline, please and thank you

      Comment


      • #4
        It sucks that both Prince and Raekwon are both held out this week due to fluid on the knee and a minor ankle tweak. Really wanted to see these guys.....
        I need more Oline, please and thank you

        Comment


        • #5
          Dear lord Javon Kinlaw, all reports have him destroying everyone today
          I need more Oline, please and thank you

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Alaskajoe View Post
            Dear lord Javon Kinlaw, all reports have him destroying everyone today
            I just read that Nebraska DT Darrion Daniels (6'4 322) was also pretty dominant today.

            Comment


            • #7
              Here's a recap of the day for anyone interested.

              https://www.milehighreport.com/2020/...steal-the-show

              I'm starting to warm up to Lloyd Cushenberry III, he's a good size, called all line blocking for one of the best college teams we've seen and has championship experience, and he can play Guard or Center. Might be a good building block for the o-line.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                Here's a recap of the day for anyone interested.

                https://www.milehighreport.com/2020/...steal-the-show

                I'm starting to warm up to Lloyd Cushenberry III, he's a good size, called all line blocking for one of the best college teams we've seen and has championship experience, and he can play Guard or Center. Might be a good building block for the o-line.
                I'm betting his stock climbs leading up to the draft and lands him at a late 2 to mid 3
                I need more Oline, please and thank you

                Comment


                • #9
                  Kinlaw, Cushenberry and Fotu wouldn’t be a bad haul at all.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by montee2ball View Post
                    Kinlaw, Cushenberry and Fotu wouldn’t be a bad haul at all.

                    That would be epic.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Just about the article about arm length. I think arm length is an important aspect to look at but without technique it can be more of a hindrance because now holding calls be more evident just to name one example. When you isolate the metric by itself it’s relatively meaningless but when you add in how fast their initial punch is (can we get a punching drill for linemen at the combine), the location of their initial punch, are they keeping active hands constantly fighting for better position, is their footwork and base fundamentally sound, when you factor all that in you start to get an idea of what type of lineman you’re getting.

                      38 inch arms won’t help if you’re too slow to extend your arms out to make contact and even if they’re fast it won’t matter if the pass rusher swats them away or your base is so far off you can’t readjust. Greg Robinson is a prime example of a guy with long arms and great athleticism but very little technique. While Joe Thomas had short arms by comparison, he was nearly flawless in his technique so he had a HoF caliber career at LT. Technique can make up for having short arms and in all honesty it’s probably easier to have better technique with shorter arms due to being more compact. That’s why I think Risner could probably kick out to LT and play well there if he had to.

                      That’s probably the biggest problem in scouting circles. Far too often people isolate one or a few metrics and forget the big picture. What good is a 4.2 WR if he loses all his speed making a cut? And I get that coaches will believe they can coach players up in some areas but a good numbers of these kids get by on those isolated metrics for so long that they can’t apply the coaching until it’s too late. That’s why I think interviews are huge in the draft process because that’s the only real way you can get a feel for how they will respond to actually being coached.

                      Edit: I do think arm length for QBs isn’t a big enough factor though. I think these 6’8” QBs fail because of how long their arms are, it makes it real hard to have a compact delivery. Even guys like Manning and Big Ben appear to have relatively short arms by comparison and Rivers made up for it with an incredibly wonky motion/delivery. I think most great QBs are typically going to be 6’5” or shorter.
                      Last edited by beastlyskronk; 01-22-2020, 10:26 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by montee2ball View Post
                        Kinlaw, Cushenberry and Fotu wouldn’t be a bad haul at all.
                        That would be a dream. A+ draft for me immediately. An explosive, violent DL that can line up as a 5T or 3T, replacing one of Shelby Harris/Derek Wolfe. Then a smarter, more athletic and cheaper starter at C than McGovern. And finally an absolute beast who would be an upgrade at NT over Purcell and fit the vital Eddie Goldman mold for Fangio’s defense.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X