Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broncos inquiring about Stefon Diggs

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    Amari Cooper to Dallas definitely worked for Dallas so far
    They got what they wanted so far, but if he leaves of underperforms in the next contract will determine how worth it he is.
    Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o '16

    Comment


    • #47
      Am i in the minority in not assuming we can get someone with Diggs production in the draft? Just because someone demonstrates hands and speed in college doesn’t mean they’re going to put up top 5 numbers in the NFL all while playing with average quarterbacks
      sigpic
      Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by BroncoooJohnson View Post
        Sutton, Freeman, Yiadom, Risner, Lock, and Dre’mont Jones are the second/third rounders the last two years. I can think of a few reasons we wouldn’t have wanted to give up those picks.
        I don't want to give up those picks, I am hell bent against it, I was being facetious. But, it was more aimed at the overall Elway track record in that area of the draft, and those failures leading us to where we are currently, which is the worst era of Bronco football now since the 70's in terms of back to back to back losing seasons.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
          It's the same premise though. The reason you said it wont likely happen is because teams don't want to have to wait to use that compensation they get in return for a player. The recent trend over receivers being traded early in the season defies that. I understand what you are saying and I am sure you are right, but it isn't rare for this situation to play out how I said.

          I actually think in this situation, those above trades have a lot in common with the Diggs and the Vikings situation. Another reciever is in place, you have an under performing guy, and it will really come down to how Diggs is valued by the Vikings front office. I think if they over value him and push for a 1st or 2nd rounder, they will be holding onto him due to so much supply at wide reciever in the draft. I think then they may be forced to unload him post-draft for less, or wait until a desperate club comes along mid-season. I also think a draft day trade is likely too based on the situation.
          I disagree. Most of those above situations (ours with Sanders included) were non-competitive teams getting rid of a player for future considerations. Unloading cap money and getting a pick as well. And just before the trade deadline doesn't qualify as early in the season. Name a single competitive team, likely to make the playoffs, that traded away a starting WR. I can't think of one. The Vikings have been and will continue to be competitive. They aren't shopping Diggs for that reason.
          Last edited by Letswinplz77; 02-18-2020, 05:10 AM.
          All it takes to win is doing whatever it takes to win: COMMITMENT

          Comment


          • #50
            I would be happy with Diggs because of his excellent route running ability. He would make Lock better and that would be the whole reason for adding him. I don't like losing draft capital but if we can get him for a 3rd which we can afford to do than I'm all for it

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
              It will be interesting to see how Elway and Fangio tackle FA. We will most likely have around 80m in space. I really only expect Simmons and Wolfe to return. We have 3 more years of Lock on his rookie deal(assuming he is who we hitch our wagon to) After that we get stuck with a hefty chunk dedicated to him. Unless you have a HoF QB, that's your window for the most part. I could see us sacrificing some draft capital to take advantage of that window. Plus with the new CBA coming out it could actually end up a very good deal for the team. I could see some FA taking a one or two year deal this off-season, and banking on cashing in after the new CBA.
              I agree and a big part of being a GM is to recognize windows. We have a 3 year window with Lock on his rookie deal. It's a gamble since Lock is still unproven, but I'm not sure there's really a better option. During this 3 years we'll have cap space for a few extra quality players.

              Expecting rookies to pay off right away is unreasonable IMO. These rookies will be ready when only 1 year of the window is left...if they pan out. Getting good players playing at their peak is big key to winning. I'm not saying I'd trade for Diggs specifically, but trading "potential" talent for production now isn't always a bad idea for teams that feel they have a window of a few years to be a playoff team. It depends on the specific deal and team goals.

              I personally am a bit suspicious of the rumor since it involves Elway and Kubiak. Why would this leak if they didn't want it out? I'm guessing it's a ploy to try to raise the value of Diggs for Kubiak. I can see the Pats wanting Diggs to lure Brady back.

              ADDED: My basic strategy is to trade down in the first round, unless it's for a QB. For example we trade 15 down to about 20-24 to someone that likes Love at QB and pick up an extra 3rd. And we trade our 2nd for Diggs. We get Diggs (for example) and only move from the 2nd round to 3rd. I believe with good moves we can do both, have draft capital and get an established player or two to fill positions of need.
              Last edited by lvbronx; 02-18-2020, 12:02 PM.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Letswinplz77 View Post
                I disagree. Most of those above situations (ours with Sanders included) were non-competitive teams getting rid of a player for future considerations. Unloading cap money and getting a pick as well. And just before the trade deadline doesn't qualify as early in the season. Name a single competitive team, likely to make the playoffs, that traded away a starting WR. I can't think of one. The Vikings have been and will continue to be competitive. They aren't shopping Diggs for that reason.
                The deadline is mid-season, some of them happened a few weeks before, and some of them just before, either way they are after the draft, which again, defines what you initially said and responded to, it is not rare. Also, what you are saying is not true. In 2017 Benjamin was traded while the Panthers were 5-3 and he was a starting wide reciever, they went on to make the playoffs. Tate was traded while the Lions were 3-4 and he was a starting wide reciever. They were 1 game shy of .500 after 7 games, that isn't exactly a tanking football team. Watkins was traded just before the season started from the Bills, he was their starter, and that team went on to make the playoffs that year, they were competitive.

                I also couldn't think of "a single competitive team, likely to make the playoffs, that traded away a starting WR", but then I used this thing called google and "named" you a few

                And your last point if anything lends itself to another reason not to make a move for Diggs. Why on earth would this competitive team trade away a player who all you guys think is on a bargain deal, is a great talent, has had his guaranteed money already paid, and they will only get a middle pick in return for ? What reason are they shopping they Diggs ? Inflated opinion of himself ? Locker room presence and a pre-Madonna attitude ? All reasons why you wouldn't want him near a young quarterback, deal is a terrible idea in my eyes.

                Comment


                • #53
                  The reason Flacco hasn't been cut is purely financial. He's injured, and if cut now will get 1.2m for being released while injured. Once he's healthy he will be cut.
                  What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
                  I don't know and I don't care

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    So will you Stefon...

                    "Stefon Diggs thinks Odell Beckham will have a lot of fun playing for Pat Shurmur"
                    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/s...r-pat-shurmur/


                    What I think it will take to land him, a late 1st or our 2nd and 3rd round picks. Rams gave up #23 pick in draft for Brandon Cooks (Rams put 5 years extension on him). Diggs for 4 years is a very comparable WR and contract.
                    Last edited by MHSalute; 02-19-2020, 12:59 AM.
                    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
                      The reason Flacco hasn't been cut is purely financial. He's injured, and if cut now will get 1.2m for being released while injured. Once he's healthy he will be cut.


                      Not sure if this article is what your talking about

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
                        The deadline is mid-season, some of them happened a few weeks before, and some of them just before, either way they are after the draft, which again, defines what you initially said and responded to, it is not rare. Also, what you are saying is not true. In 2017 Benjamin was traded while the Panthers were 5-3 and he was a starting wide reciever, they went on to make the playoffs. Tate was traded while the Lions were 3-4 and he was a starting wide reciever. They were 1 game shy of .500 after 7 games, that isn't exactly a tanking football team. Watkins was traded just before the season started from the Bills, he was their starter, and that team went on to make the playoffs that year, they were competitive.

                        I also couldn't think of "a single competitive team, likely to make the playoffs, that traded away a starting WR", but then I used this thing called google and "named" you a few

                        And your last point if anything lends itself to another reason not to make a move for Diggs. Why on earth would this competitive team trade away a player who all you guys think is on a bargain deal, is a great talent, has had his guaranteed money already paid, and they will only get a middle pick in return for ? What reason are they shopping they Diggs ? Inflated opinion of himself ? Locker room presence and a pre-Madonna attitude ? All reasons why you wouldn't want him near a young quarterback, deal is a terrible idea in my eyes.
                        First things first. I've already explained what I meant by "after the draft." You can continue to call during the season after the draft if you want to, but then, since the new league year hasn't started yet, it's currently STILL after the draft. Regardless, I meant between the draft and the start of the season, and I stick to my original statement that it's rare to see a trade for skill players happen during that time frame, because, well, it is rare, usually happening in the case of injury for the team needing the player, or for a ridiculous return in picks or other players.
                        As for the google comment and you providing me a few, you provided 1. 5-3 Carolina Panthers. Benjamin had 32 catches through 8 gaames (half the season). Buffalo is not an example of a competitive team likely to make the playoffs, also not an example of a receiver of Diggs standing being traded. Watkins was coming off a season in which he only played 8 games and only had 28 receptions (It helps if you actually read the information you find on google). They were coming off a 7-9 season in 2016 (3rd in division, no playoffs), had a new head coach and no significant free agent signings. Can't argue competitiveness nor likely to make the playoffs. They were the 5th longest odds to make the playoffs before the season started (Vegas), and no one was picking them to do so. And the Lions had a losing record (3-4) and were in last place in their division. You want to argue if they were competitive, go ahead, but likely to make the playoffs? No. So again, you've given 1 example.

                        Lastly, you have me confused with other people. Not once have I promoted the Broncos trading for Diggs, nor have I praised him. I merely presented a theory for why we might be doing it, which would necessitate that we do it before the draft. But purely off the top of my head, maybe the team just realizes it's unlikely to be able to re-sign Diggs at the end of his contract, so they might as well get something in return for him while they can, especially considering the depth of the position in THIS YEARS draft. Another reason why before the draft is probably pretty important for them.

                        And just to put an end to this back and forth...rare; (of an event, situation, or condition) not occurring very often. You can give an example here, an example there, but you can't provide 'often'. I can define that word as well, but what's the point. I made a claim, you then decided to tell me I was wrong, and you haven't been able to actually prove that, other than to change the parameters of what I actually meant, and even then, you haven't been able to provide anywhere near enough examples to equal often. Because if it doesn't happen often, that's right, it's rare. Thank you and have a great day.
                        Last edited by Letswinplz77; 02-19-2020, 04:57 AM.
                        All it takes to win is doing whatever it takes to win: COMMITMENT

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          I started the thread but that don’t mean I want Diggs on this team. I’d rather have Ruggs or Hamler.

                          Diggs will poison the locker, our young WR Corp and our young QBS.

                          He’ll also set Sutton back when he demands the football. Not very much veteran leader ship right there.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            He sounds like he could be a problem. Who else is out there?

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by Joshua2585 View Post
                              He sounds like he could be a problem. Who else is out there?

                              Robbie From The NY Jets.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                I would love to trade for Diggs, and still draft Ruggs if he is available. The thought of Sutton, Diggs, Ruggs, Fant, Lindsay, and Freeman; let it rip, young fella! An arsenal for Lock. Throw in a FA OL, and one of Jones/Slay and that’s a dream.

                                I hope we’re aggressive this offseason.
                                2016 Adopt-A-Bronco: CB-Chris Harris Jr.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X