Raiders trying to get Simmons ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
    Also true. But one of the better players from that elite 2015 defense had publicly said if Elway had came to him a season earlier he would of signed the extension. Instead a huge year where the entire defense elevated their play, especially on the highest stage, allowed guys values to greatly increase. Also he had early success doing so with Chris Harris and Derek Wolfe, so maybe you are right, and the guys which gave that narrative legs fit your description.
    Which player are we talking about? Malik Jackson? Based on his results prior to 2015, and the fact that he openly said he was going to sign with whomever gave him the most "respect" (he was using that word for money) was where he was going to sign, I'm not sure they would have been able to agree on a contract before 2015.

There was also the matter of the cap crunch the Broncos were under between 2015 and 2016, there was no way they could keep everyone and they had to choose. The Chefs are about to face the same thing, I'm sure their fans wish they had signed Chris Jones a year early as well, but you can't give everyone a new contract, and you have to choose who you think the better players are to keep within a budget.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
      Which player are we talking about? Malik Jackson? Based on his results prior to 2015, and the fact that he openly said he was going to sign with whomever gave him the most "respect" (he was using that word for money) was where he was going to sign, I'm not sure they would have been able to agree on a contract before 2015.

There was also the matter of the cap crunch the Broncos were under between 2015 and 2016, there was no way they could keep everyone and they had to choose. The Chefs are about to face the same thing, I'm sure their fans wish they had signed Chris Jones a year early as well, but you can't give everyone a new contract, and you have to choose who you think the better players are to keep within a budget.
      Yeah Malik Jackson and the comments he made regarding bringing him, Danny, and Brock back for less than nothing if they reached out earlier. I don't think it was a huge problem where Elway didn't reach out soon enough, I just think he reached out and re-signed the wrong players. I think the Marshall deal instead of bringing back Danny was more of an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post

I think even if they had offered Malik a new contract following 2014, and he then went on to be a beast in 2015, he'd have become a problem at some point wanting more money. It's possible Elway picked the wrong players to offer contracts to and the let the wrong ones go, but at the time, the cap situation was what it was, and there's no guarantee we could have held onto Jackson OR Trevathan through their next contracts. Only so much to go around.

Not to mention, at the time, Malik had a few less than memorable seasons and one pretty good one. Without having any idea, has he actually outperformed Wolfe since leaving in 2016? I would google it, but I don't have the time at the moment. Anyone know?
        Last edited by Letswinplz77; 02-21-2020, 03:20 PM.
        All it takes to win is doing whatever it takes to win: COMMITMENT

Comment

Working...
        X