Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL Free Agency Matchmaking Article - Broncos And Conklin

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-each-afc-team

This article talks about one good FA fit for each AFC team. Here's what he says about us:

DENVER BRONCOS: Jack Conklin, offensive tackle

Denver has failed to produce a capture-the-imagination attack since Peyton Manning sat at the controls. Quarterback issues stirred years of malaise, but don't ignore this ill nugget: No Broncos offensive lineman has earned a Pro Bowl bid since Ryan Clady flipped the switch in 2014. Cash and high draft picks have been spent up front, but troubles persist. First-rounder Garett Bolles has underwhelmed at left tackle, collecting holding flags like it's a hobby. Across the way, right tackle Ja'Wuan James saw last season detonated by injury after landing as a big-money free agent. It's frustrating to apply endless resources to one area, but darkness will linger until the line clicks. Conklin won't come cheap, but he's coming off a stellar campaign and would give the Broncos a low-risk bookend to build around for years to come. With newbie Drew Lock under center, building a five-man unit of maulers is a must for John Elway and friends.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Of course I am good with this, because I just want us to make a wise upgrade at OT, and in my opinion, one quality OT should be enough to solidify this part of the trench.....other than a 3rd or later draft pick.

I would prefer to go into The Draft with this taken care of, and then we can go WR/CB with our one and two. If we do not upgrade our Oline in FA, I revert back to OT with pick #1.

I would absolutely love it!! I hesitate to get attached to the idea because I believe the Titans will do whatever (tag) it takes to keep him

Comment

Loved Conk in the draft.

He seems like a real injury gamble, though.

Don’t think we need another one of those =\

Comment

Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
        I would absolutely love it!! I hesitate to get attached to the idea because I believe the Titans will do whatever (tag) it takes to keep him
        I agree....but I love the thought process! For me it's one of the key elements of the game....making life easier for your QB, RBs and Receivers. We have our QB, RB, WR for the future. So in my view, we make the wall that much stronger, and then go find a couple of WRs, and perhaps other weapons, to turn this thing into a well oiled machine.

Not sure if others agree with me, but I still expect us to go bigger in FA and The Draft on D, because I see us needing to add 2 Oliners and 2 WRs, possibly a back, but after that, mostly D. We need to rebuild our D to top 5-7 status if at all possible. And it will not be easy if we lose any of the quality vets.
        Last edited by CanDB; 02-20-2020, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Do we keep Ronald Leary ? He is a 9.3 million cap hit this year.

Do we keep Ju'Wuan James ? He is a 13 million cap hit this year.

Conklin is going to get significantly overpaid as all offensive lineman do in free agency. Conklin started his career with a first team All-Pro selection, then had his 5th year option declined by the team, the Titans didn't want him at a discounted rate on a 5th year option, that speaks volumes to me. I like that he is 25, but he is overrated, and his contract will probably be around 13 - 15 million per year, I am not having any of that. The draft is where we need to be looking at adding offensive lineman now, not the overpriced free agent market, where we have already been bitten by over the last few years.

Comment

Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post

Conklin is going to get significantly overpaid as all offensive lineman do in free agency. Conklin started his career with a first team All-Pro selection, then had his 5th year option declined by the team, the Titans didn't want him at a discounted rate on a 5th year option, that speaks volumes to me. I like that he is 25, but he is overrated, and his contract will probably be around 13 - 15 million per year, I am not having any of that. The draft is where we need to be looking at adding offensive lineman now, not the overpriced free agent market, where we have already been bitten by over the last few years.
            The big issue with Conklin are the injury issues. When he’s come back from injury he hasn’t looked good which is why the Titans didn’t pick up his option. However he played well this season and I bet the Titans wish they had exercised the option now. But I agree that he will likely be tagged.

Even if he were to hit FA, where does he fit on our line? Do we try him at LT or do we try James at LT? Or does the FO admit James was a mistake and bite the bullet?

Comment

Leary is hopefully gone his play has not been up to that contract and he doesn't fit the scheme. James is 20 mil against the cap if cut 13 if he is still on the team. So he will be here this year. Leary only has 800k in dead cap and has 9m if he on the team so I feel he should be as good as gone move Wilkinson in to that rg spot.
              sigpic
              oakland raders gm
              latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Ron Leary is an easy cut, the contract is built that way. He's gone.

Ju'Wuan James has a bigger hit against if thee Broncos release him, than if they keep him. He's not going anywhere.

As for Conklin, I don't think he fits, and I don't think he'll be in Denver. They'll sign interior o-linemen and add a tackle in the draft at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                  Ron Leary is an easy cut, the contract is built that way. He's gone.

Ju'Wuan James has a bigger hit against if thee Broncos release him, than if they keep him. He's not going anywhere.

As for Conklin, I don't think he fits, and I don't think he'll be in Denver. They'll sign interior o-linemen and add a tackle in the draft at some point.
                  Question; why haven't we done this already? Or any player that we know we aren't bringing back. Seems like a few clubs are already trimming the fat, so to speak, so why haven't we? Is there some advantage to not doing it yet that I'm unaware of? Post June 1 cuts aren't a thing this year, right? Or are the owners and player's association going to work out an addendum to the last year of the CBA allowing for post June 1 cuts? Just curious, wondering why we haven't made any yet.
                  All it takes to win is doing whatever it takes to win: COMMITMENT

Comment

But I'm not gonna lie.....I would LOVE if we could draft one of the top WRs in this draft!!! Seriously love it! I see a recent 3 round mock by Chad Reuter of NFL.com, having us trade to 11, because Elway may have a huge interest in either of Lamb or Jeudy.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ake-up-round-1

So if someone can verify by the time of the The Draft that we are fine on The Oline (other than a later draft pick or two), I would be quite happy with Lock throwing to Sutton and Lamb/Jeudy and Fant, and everyone of his weapons.

Can someone give me that confidence, because I love the idea of an OT, for stability, but I have always been a bit of a weapons guy at heart. I think one of my ole favs said it best (for me) on the top line…

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                      Can someone give me that confidence, because I love the idea of an OT, for stability, but I have always been a bit of a weapons guy at heart. I think one of my ole favs said it best (for me) on the top line…
                      People will try, but they are probably the same people who every off-season for the last 4 years have been convinced of the same. Obviously right now prior to free agency and the draft, we are not solid on the offensive line, we are still bad. We have Bolles who is not good at left tackle, our starting center from a year ago is off-contract, we have Leary who will be cut, we have James who refused to play, or couldn't play, whatever, while earning a huge contract he wasn't worthy of, leaving us with Risner as a second year player and the only solid guy on the unit.

We need help, and that will include adding new young talent in the draft. Elway has not been successful in trying to make these patchwork, band-aid solution offensive lines, and it will remain that way if he tries to do it again. We can continue to be lured by the sexiness of a skill position pick, but until we commit to building out a young offensive line through the draft, we will be a bottom 5 offense, which we have been for how long now ? The free agent offensive line market is incredibly inflated, we need to draft and develop.

Comment

Working...
                      X