Broncos looking at FA RBs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another similar story from NFL.com...

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

John Elway will have some big decisions to make on defense this offseason, but while he waits for those moves to crystalize, the Denver Broncos' czar is kicking the tires on potentially available running backs. The Broncos are doing their due diligence on RBs and expected to have interest in veteran free agents, Mike Klis of 9News Denver reported, including the likes of Tennessee's Derrick Henry.

Other potential top backs available this offseason who fit the Broncos' profile are expected to include Kenyan Drake, Melvin Gordon, Jordan Howard and Carlos Hyde. Denver also met with big backs at the scouting combine that could be available in the middle rounds of the 2020 NFL Draft.

Denver is looking for a complement to Phillip Lindsay, who Elway has said could be a candidate for a contract extension this offseason. Despite going undrafted, Lindsay won the Broncos' top gig in quick order his rookie season and generated back-to-back 1,000-plus yard campaigns to open his career.

Elway now appears to want a bigger runner to complement Lindsay as opposed to the tandem with Royce Freeman that Denver employed the past two seasons. If the Broncos do add a big back at some stage this offseason, it would likely further diminish Freeman's role despite being a third-round pick two years ago.

The Broncos are estimated to have about $70 million in salary-cap space, per Over The Cap, so adding a free agent running back is possible, despite all the other moves Elway must figure out this offseason. With Lindsay already displaying Pro Bowl skills, however, it'd be a surprise if Denver sunk a ton more assets into the position.

This is getting more and more interesting. But can we afford one of the better backs, given we already have one of the better backs....though a bit small. To be honest, I can not see Lindsay being a workhorse, and expected to ram through Ds for many years. Lots of wear and tear given his size.

Now, Drake or Hyde or Howard might be affordable, and productive.

Hey, I'm ok with an upgrade in the backfield, but I hope we still go WR in one or two, to complete the weapons makeover!

In fact, if we started the season with Lock, Lindsay, one of those 3 backs mentioned, Sutton and CeeDee Lamb (for example), we would have one of the most lethal group of weapons in the league.
    Last edited by CanDB; 03-03-2020, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Personally, I'd like to stay away from the FA power backs. I just see these guys seeking big contracts that we won't get our value out of. Give me Dobbins or Taylor in the draft over any of these FAs

Comment

Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
        Personally, I'd like to stay away from the FA power backs. I just see these guys seeking big contracts that we won't get our value out of. Give me Dobbins or Taylor in the draft over any of these FAs
        Agreed - lets spend the money on defense and draft offense. I wouldn’t freak out if we used one of our second rounders on an elite back.

Comment

Originally posted by WYBRONCO View Post
          I would give up 1 3rd for that chance. I do want some confirmation that David Johnson is healthy. Dobbins, and Taylor are really good RB's, not sure if we invest a pick that soon. I like what I am hearing about a couple of the later round guys too.
          You misunderstand what was said. It is not that we would give up the third, but Arizon would in order to convince a team to take on DJ's cap hit. Similar to the Osweiler Texans-Browns deal where Housten sent the Browns Osweiler plus a 2nd round pick just for the sake of absorbing his salary.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
            Jonathan Taylor would be the best day 2 option imo.
            I still think taylor sneaks into the back half of the first round
            sigpic
            oakland raders gm
            latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
              I still think taylor sneaks into the back half of the first round
              With that many carries in his college career?
              sigpic
              Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                With that many carries in his college career?
                With his tape and numbers I can't see why not. He looks special. He is the ideal size with home run speed and his college tape is top notch. If this was like 10-15 years ago he would be a top 10 guy
                sigpic
                oakland raders gm
                latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
                  You misunderstand what was said. It is not that we would give up the third, but Arizon would in order to convince a team to take on DJ's cap hit. Similar to the Osweiler Texans-Browns deal where Housten sent the Browns Osweiler plus a 2nd round pick just for the sake of absorbing his salary.
                  OH!!! Well I don't know what Johnson makes but a healthy David Johnson is a more complete back than Freeman. I would love and extra third then, I doubt they give us or anybody a second as they draft even higher than us.

I do emphasize he needs to be healthy though. We really don't need more injured FA's.

Comment

The elephant in the room is that Lindsay hasn't been used much as a receiver. When I hear "compliment", my mind immediately jumps to Jordan Howard, but he, even though I actually think he is better than he gets credit for, hasn't been used as a receiver either. Howard had a shoulder injury last year that may lower his price tag a bit. The reason I mention him first, is he is the best guy not named Henry who can give you real yards after contact. I know Gordon has stats that support his ability to do that, but Howard really will give you big runs when there's nothing there, and he's a guy who you can wear a defense down with.

Hyde is another guy who you can get on the cheap, and hammer between the tackles, but he's not going to run through people like Howard can. He's also not much of a receiving threat.

If we could get Howard for under 4 a year (Hopefully as low as 3, but I think other teams will be interested), I'd seriously consider it. Otherwise, probably look at drafting one in the mid rounds if we have the luxury of doing so. I don't know how I feel about David Johnson. That's a lot of money, and the injuries are piling up. His back is what worries me with the way he runs. I'd have to pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
                      With his tape and numbers I can't see why not. He looks special. He is the ideal size with home run speed and his college tape is top notch. If this was like 10-15 years ago he would be a top 10 guy
                      IMHO he is a better back out of college than Melvin Gordon. I do think Gordon looking worn down lately will diminish Taylor's stock. Wisconsin runs their backs a lot. Seriously though if you have a guy that can run for 200 yds on basically everyone it is hard to justify not using him.

Comment

Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
                        Cecil Lammey said there were rumors that Arizona is thinking about giving up a draft pick to move off the David Johnson contract. He speculated even a 2nd or 3rd to do it. I'd be interested in a move like that.
                        I would take a 3rd round pick for that contract. It is terrible next year but only 2.1 million guaranteed in 2021. Seems like a good idea. Maybe ask them to throw in Andy Isabella while they are at it. Disappointing first year, but might be worth a flyer too. He has fallen out of favor in Arizona already (or at least it appears he may have). Dude can flat out fly and apparently is one of the hardest workers around. Potential upside

How about 3rd rounder, David Johnson, and Andy Isabella for our 6th rounder? We eat Johnson's contract for a 3rd rounder and a flyer on Isabella.

I know I am probably reaching.

Comment

Originally posted by WYBRONCO View Post
                          OH!!! Well I don't know what Johnson makes but a healthy David Johnson is a more complete back than Freeman. I would love and extra third then, I doubt they give us or anybody a second as they draft even higher than us.

I do emphasize he needs to be healthy though. We really don't need more injured FA's.
                          His cap hit for 2020 is ~14.15M but that includes 3M signing bonus that probably isn't part of what would be in a trade ?? Considering that being the case he would be 11.156 cap hit for the Broncos. I say too much and I think his dead cap would be higher than that. I like the 3rd round thrown in though, I just don't think he, or most any RB is worth 11M cap hit... OK, maybe McCaffrey.
                          sigpic

Comment

Kenyon Drake would be my pick.
                            sigpic

Comment

D'Andre Swift
                              Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

Originally posted by MHSalute View Post
                                D'Andre Swift
                                I think either Atlanta or KC does whatever they can to get him

Comment

Working...
                                X