Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IF We Want An Oliner or WR in Round One....Who Has To Get Selected Before Us?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IF We Want An Oliner or WR in Round One....Who Has To Get Selected Before Us?

I sense that most of us want an Oliner or WR with our #1 pick, currently at 15 overall. I am sure some are cool with BPA at another position (other than punter/kicker types!), but most things I have read are OL/WR related.

So, if we stay at 15, do we get one of the players we want in those two positions? I am going to make some assumptions, and please help correct this analysis if you think otherwise. But here are the 7 players we might have on our board, at 15, in those 2 positions, and not necessarily in the order I list:

Oline - Becton, Wirfs, Thomas, Wills

WR - Lamb, Jeudy, Ruggs III

Based on what I know, we might be quite happy to select any one of these 7.

BUT, even I am correct, that means 8 other players must go before we pick. The good news, drafts hardly ever go as we think, and so often there will be little surprises along the way, that have a domino effect. Suddenly a stud falls.

So play along with me, and tell me if 8 players will go to give us a shot at one of the 7 I propose to be on our board.

QBs

I see at least 3, maybe 4 QBs gone: Burrow, Tua, Herbert and maybe Love (though Love seems to be getting more "love" these days!)

Other Positions

I see a good possibility that these non QBs are gone (need at least 5 to help our case, but 4 might be enough): Young, Simmons, Okudah, Brown, maybe Kinlaw, maybe Henderson, maybe Chaisson, maybe others).

Based on my count of likely outcomes....there should be at least 7 non OL/WRs gone by the time we pick. And there are at least several quality players who could be taken as well. Bottom line.....this is going to get interesting UNLESS:

1) Basically, as hoped, 8 or more players get selected from other positions and we like the 7 OL/WRs I suggest.
    2) Or another Oliner/WR moves up on our board
    3) Or we decide to trade up, but hopefully not too many spots
    4) Or we trade back and still land one of these positions while gaining draft capital
    4) Or we have a non OL/WR high up on our board, and they fall to us
    5) Or current mocks are not as accurate as we may think, come The Draft

There are other possibilities I'm sure.

Overall this bodes well for us, because we will have options. And we will likely get a player we truly want. As I say, maybe OL/WR will not be a position we covet the night of April 23rd.

What do you folks think?

The second you think you have the draft figured out some team does something stupid and makes you rethink everything LOL. Personally, I believe Jeudy is the 1st WR off the board and I think Becton will be the 1st OT off the board. Wirfs ridiculous combine stats will translate to him being a sure fire top 10 pick.

Other than that, I think Denver will be able to sit tight and have their laps full of WRs or OTs if they so chose. The run on QBs and other defensive talent will push other offensive talent down and Elway will be all smiles

Comment

1 lb(Simmions)
      1 cb(okudah)
      2 wr(lamb, and Jeudy)
      4 ot(Becton, Wirfs, Willis and Thomas
      4 qb(Burrow, Tua, Herbert and Love)
      1 dt (Brown)
      1 edge(Young)

i don't know why but i am kinda feeling that will be gone before our pick. but if that happens then there is a good chance ruggs is still there and probably the best value for our pick. at this point if this happens then we should look at kinlaw or Ruggs cause both of them will be lower on my board and are good 15th overall picks.
      sigpic
      oakland raders gm
      latavis murray trade bait

Comment

If we take any WR over Kinlaw, I think we regret it. We have a #1 WR, so I get WR in round one if you dont have that, but we do. Guys like Sanders, Decker,,...all can be found in the 3rd round. Compliment guys.

I think a team takes Kinlaw before us and Thomas gets pushed to 15 and he is the pick. If we don't love Thomas, then we trade down like last year to a team that does.

Otherwise agree with all this:

1 lb(Simmions)
        1 cb(okudah)
        2 wr(lamb, and Jeudy)
        4 ot(Becton, Wirfs, Willis and Thomas
        4 qb(Burrow, Tua, Herbert and Love)
        1 dt (Brown)
        1 edge(Young)
        Last edited by MHSalute; 03-07-2020, 01:18 PM.
        Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

Originally posted by MHSalute View Post
          If we take any WR over Kinlaw, I think we regret it. We have a #1 WR, so I get WR in round one if you dont have that, but we do. Guys like Sanders, Decker,,...all can be found in the 3rd round. Compliment guys.
          Yes, we have a WR but what happens when he's double teamed? Who does Lock rely on? A 2nd year TE? We NEED another outside or slot threat no question about it

Comment

Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
            Yes, we have a WR but what happens when he's double teamed? Who does Lock rely on? A 2nd year TE? We NEED another outside or slot threat no question about it
            Yes his 2nd year TE and Patrick and Hamilton looked good in the last 5 weeks. Our guys are young and can improve. Shumur has shown his system is WR friendly too, so I would expect the guys we have to look better.

Thielen in year two had 12 catches for 144 yards. Should they have just drafted a WR in the 1st round? Shumur relacing Turner got a 200 yard game out of Thielen and over 1200 yards receiving out of his 4th year.

Need to let players develop, most take 3 years. We should know what we have in Patrick and Hamilton after this year.

Comment

Yes his 2nd year TE and Patrick and Hamilton looked good in the last 5 weeks. Our guys are young and can improve. Shumur has shown his system is WR friendly too, so I would expect the guys we have to look better.

Thielen in year two had 12 catches for 144 yards. Should they have just drafted a WR in the 1st round? Shumur relacing Turner got a 200 yard game out of Thielen and over 1200 yards receiving out of his 4th year.

Need to let players develop, most take 3 years. We should know what we have in Patrick and Hamilton after this year.
              Patrick is starting his 4th year, Hamilton his 3rd. Both guys....if they were game changing talent would have shown it by now. Fant? I think can be a special TE but he will need solid WR help around him to be what we want. Sutton needs another compliment to keep the pressure off him. Calvin Johnson couldn't do it by himself what makes you think Sutton can?

Comment

Good dialogue gang! This draft intrigues me, and just when I think I got some of it figured, is the time I have no clue at all!!!

Comment

Hamiton year 2: 28 catches297 yards
                  Thielen year 2: 12 catches 144 yards
                  E Sanders year 2: 22 catches 288yards

Hell...

Rod Smith age 26, 2nd year on team 16 catches 237 yards
                  Partrick age 26 going into his 3rd year 16 catches 218 yards

We do not need every position to be a game changing talent. Need to develop the guys we have, some need 3 years. And yes, Calvin did just fine all by himself, guy had no problem getting his without another Calvin opposite him.

Comment

I personally like Hamilton.
                    sigpic
                    Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Been calling for Ruggs the 3rd since the beginning. Said it before , I'll say it again. One dropped ball all last year. Scored on 20 - 25% of his touches. I understand a WR2 should not be the #15th pick in the draft......but it's exactly what this team needs......today , this year....... If Lamb or Juedy is there , take 'em. That's totally cool with me. I also am aware that there has never been a truly productive #1 receiver that has run sub 4.3......but that's ok......He doesn't need to be our #1....we have one, but he needs help as someone just said, Calvin Johnson couldn't do it alone. BUT, #2 WR needs to be darn good......and fast........and that is what Ruggs is. Good, and FAST. 1 Dropped ball. Make the pick. { side note, I'm secretly hoping Winfree turns a corner this year and can be a solid #4 in our 3 wide sets. }

Comment

You guys keep saying, "Calvin Johnson couldn't do it alone"

Calvin had 1964 recieving yards in 2012. What did WR #2 have? Titus Young 383 yards...if that is not doing it alone, I don't know what is.

Comment

Calvin had 1964 recieving yards in 2012. What did WR #2 have? Titus Young 383 yards...if that is not doing it alone, I don't know what is.
                          Well those are just unbelievable numbers.....so......I just don't believe it.

Comment

How many playoff appearances? How many division titles? Now, it's not his fault his organization is a joke but he had a QB and they never had enough talent to get over the top. Smith needed Eddy mack and Sharpe....they all needed each other.

I like Fant, I actually like Hamilton but he's just an ok slot guy to me. Imo, we need either that sure handed outside threat or that burner type (preferably one guy in the same) to ease the pressure and guarantee Sutton doesn't face constant double teams.

Why wouldn't we want to give Lock the most special group of weapons? He needs a good line too so either direction I'm good with but, imo, we need to do more outscoring teams. That happens with explosive and consistent offense, which we currently don't have

Comment

I agree with the draft breakdown for the most part. So do most mocks. The Broncos are in a good position. Especially if a surprise or two occur to push another player to #15.

Having to choose between a stud defensive player that “slipped” , a talented olineman, or a WR that has the potential to have us calling Sutton WR2 can never be bad.

My only strong opinion is that they stay at #15 and make the pick. More picks is not the answer. Improving the quality is.

Comment

Working...
                              X