The 15 should be for sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Why would the team trading down get less? If someone is trading up they generally need to pay more, especially for 11 spots int he first round.
    Your right, it would generally take a increase in value...the Dolphins also hold the 18 in addition to the 26.

I just used this as an example because it's close enough to actually happen.

Comment

Fully agree with this. The team doesn't have spots for 11 rookies, plus however many else they'd get for a trade down. I'd stay either trade up for Simmons, or I'd stay at 15 and take best available at a position of need. And then I'd look at trading several picks to move up in round 2, round 3 or maybe even back into the end of round 1.

The only way I'd consider moving down this year is if it means adding another first round pick in 2021.
      The idea is moving back up into Rd 2.....maybe even a couple of times. Right now we have 2 picks in the top 50 and I am hoping we parlay some assets into a third selection in the top 50 -just like last year.

Trading back from 15 wouldn't be with the idea to get a 12th selection, it would be with the idea that we are approaching the draft with the ability to go get the guys we want with the assets needed. The amount of draft day trades is rising every year and our team is right in the mix with any of them. We definitely don't have the room for FA plus 11 selections so it's obvious we are going to be doing something creative.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
        I understand your take, but we could be packaging additional picks to move up in rounds 2 and 3, and even later....to get the guys we want. It's all in the strategy and the fluidity of The Draft...and how we sit as a roster when we arrive (post Free Agency). Some may want us to have lots of decent picks, even if that means trading back. Some may want to go big early, either moving up in 1 or 2. Some may want a combination approach - trade back in 1, but trade up soon after to land some really good players who fell a bit.

That's why FA is so important to the mix. It may decrease the number of positions we need to upgrade, to the point we can go bigger, earlier. But if we have a more passive FA, we may want to add picks, given the greater need, OR at least move up in the low to mid rounds, to grab players that might be able to start, along with the early round selections.

Lots of possibilities.
        Fully agree with this. The team doesn't have spots for 11 rookies, plus however many else they'd get for a trade down. I'd stay either trade up for Simmons, or I'd stay at 15 and take best available at a position of need. And then I'd look at trading several picks to move up in round 2, round 3 or maybe even back into the end of round 1.

The only way I'd consider moving down this year is if it means adding another first round pick in 2021.
        Originally posted by atwaterandstir View Post
        The idea is moving back up into Rd 2.....maybe even a couple of times. Right now we have 2 picks in the top 50 and I am hoping we parlay some assets into a third selection in the top 50 -just like last year.

Trading back from 15 wouldn't be with the idea to get a 12th selection, it would be with the idea that we are approaching the draft with the ability to go get the guys we want with the assets needed. The amount of draft day trades is rising every year and our team is right in the mix with any of them. We definitely don't have the room for FA plus 11 selections so it's obvious we are going to be doing something creative.
        As per previous post, I agree with you. We would not trade back for more and more picks to hold onto, rather to repackage and move up in possibly more than one maneuver. If a draft is deep in some ways, you can wait, but capitalize with at least one extra 2nd or even 3rd rounder. And heck, if you own enough draft capital, you can go for multiple 2nds and/or 3rds, by trading up for players you really want. The only sacrifice is moving back from 15, perhaps not too far.

I just love the idea of a late 1st, and multiple 2nds and 3rds!!!
        Last edited by CanDB; 03-11-2020, 09:29 PM.

Comment

That's fair. I think everyone would be happy with fewer picks but they're higher, than lots of picks but lower.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
            As per previous post, I agree with you. We would not trade back for more and more picks to hold onto, rather to repackage and move up in possibly more than one maneuver. If a draft is deep in some ways, you can wait, but capitalize with at least one extra 2nd or even 3rd rounder. And heck, if you own enough draft capital, you can go for multiple 2nds and/or 3rds, by trading up for players you really want. The only sacrifice is moving back from 15, perhaps not too far.

I just love the idea of a late 1st, and multiple 2nds and 3rds!!!
            Yes, exactly right on Can-

The player I think everyone really covets is Simmons but trading up for him is not even plausible.

For comparison sake to trade UP, our 1st and our 2nd equals the value of the #9 and all 3 of our 3rds equal the value of the #41. Our first 5 selections only have the combined value of the #7 pick (yuck).

Comment

Yes, exactly right on Can-

The player I think everyone really covets is Simmons but trading up for him is not even plausible.

For comparison sake to trade UP, our 1st and our 2nd equals the value of the #9 and all 3 of our 3rds equal the value of the #41. Our first 5 selections only have the combined value of the #7 pick (yuck).
              You speak my language pal. But I have a feeling that you are like me, in that, pending FA, I am quite open to various approaches this draft. I just don't feel comfortable trading up too much in round one....it is massively expensive as you note! Simmons is going high in my opinion, maybe top 5. There is nothing but love for him these days, and rightfully so. His stock was high before The Combine, and he certified things with his performance. And outside of Simmons, there is really no one I would move up much for. Definitely not a WR! You don't move up in round 1 when there are so many good ones available. That would come across as stubbornness to me, unless it was like one pick sooner.

But a late 1, and a bunch of 2nds/3rds, and no doubt in my mind we can field a solid team....and even more so, if we make a couple of solid FA moves. And IMO, if we do not acquire a WR in FA, I would wait til round 2 to acquire one, because I am confident that a good starter is available at that point of the draft. Use our 1st rounder on a BPA of need. And then fill gaps in the roster with all that other quality capital we would own.

Regardless, even if we stay at 15, we have a nice batch of draft capital.

Comment

I agree there is not enough room on the roster for 11-12 guys including several late round draft picks, but I do believe we have space for 7-8 guys. Especially if they came in the top 100-120 guys. This team definitely has room to add talent. 2nd and 3rd round picks are also comparatively cheap. It is a great way to build a roster, so long as we draft like we have the last couple of years.

Personally I would like to see what is there at 15, and if there is a great talent that is slipping jump on it, but I don't see a big difference in the guys that are there at 15 vs those that should be available in the late first. I would not like to trade our 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up. I think our roster is more than 1 guy away from getting over the top. I think Simmons deserves the credit he is getting, but I still think we are better with a few guys. My trade down preference is less about trade down and more about maximizing the number of picks in the top 100.

Comment

Originally posted by myoung View Post
                  I agree there is not enough room on the roster for 11-12 guys including several late round draft picks, but I do believe we have space for 7-8 guys. Especially if they came in the top 100-120 guys. This team definitely has room to add talent. 2nd and 3rd round picks are also comparatively cheap. It is a great way to build a roster, so long as we draft like we have the last couple of years.

Personally I would like to see what is there at 15, and if there is a great talent that is slipping jump on it, but I don't see a big difference in the guys that are there at 15 vs those that should be available in the late first. I would not like to trade our 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up. I think our roster is more than 1 guy away from getting over the top. I think Simmons deserves the credit he is getting, but I still think we are better with a few guys. My trade down preference is less about trade down and more about maximizing the number of picks in the top 100.
                  Agreed. I would be ok with trading a 3rd and a 5th to move up into the second. The 2nd round seems to be great value. We’ve landed 3 quality players the last 2 years in the second: Sutton, Locke & Risner.
                  sigpic
                  Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Really great points from lots of you! I tend to be on the stand pat at #15 view. I would trade up for Simmons, maybe Okudah, and Whirfs. I don't think I would trade into the first 5 picks to do it though. A trade down is not a bad idea especially if a after the OL's and stud DL/LB, and CB you have a player you really like but don't think you need to draft him at 15.

Elway and staff has really done well in rd 2 recently, so an extra pick there would be really nice to have. There should be a whole lot of talent in rd 2 and early rd 3.

Comment

Originally posted by WYBRONCO View Post
                      Really great points from lots of you! I tend to be on the stand pat at #15 view. I would trade up for Simmons, maybe Okudah, and Whirfs. I don't think I would trade into the first 5 picks to do it though. A trade down is not a bad idea especially if a after the OL's and stud DL/LB, and CB you have a player you really like but don't think you need to draft him at 15.

Elway and staff has really done well in rd 2 recently, so an extra pick there would be really nice to have. There should be a whole lot of talent in rd 2 and early rd 3.
                      Love the topic of discussion too!!!

I love Simmons and if he made it to the 10 range I would consider moving up. Although I am still not 100% sure. It would just be tempting. I might consider moving up for Jeudy if he got to the 13 or 14 range (and I have been hoping for a WR or two later in the draft but I think Jeudy can be special). I would not move up for anyone else. If Brown or Kinlaw fell to us I would probably take them but doubt I would move up.

I actually like Josh Jones and Ezra Cleveland almost as much as Wirfs, maybe more as a LT. I think we can get one of them in the late first or early second. Wirfs testing was off the charts at the combine, but so was Ezra Cleveland (and he might be the best pass protection guy in this draft). I also think Niang can come late in round 2 or maybe even round 3. I wouldn't trade up for Wirfs, especially since he seems like a RT guy his whole career. I can certainly understand why people want Wirfs and could see why people want to trade up.

In terms of CB, I don't want Henderson. He doesn't like to tackle and would probably be a liability in our D. I think Fulton, Gladney, Johnson, and Bryce Hall are all much better fits and can be had later in the draft. I also think we could go with a safety to replace Parks and groom to replace Kareem Jackson, but I would do that in round 2-4. I would not trade up to get Okudah. I think we are already spending so much money on our secondary. Adding a high draft pick would just add to the dollars. We could use another young secondary player (or two) but we need some cheaper players.

Love the discussion and appreciate the different perspectives.

Comment

I am still hoping we trade back a bit while still landing a top WR, but the 49ers have just jumped us and could take advantage of what I feel is a premium draft slot this year. We will see how it all shakes out, but not having many selections this season or next I can't imagine the 49ers keep both the 1st they have now.

I expect the 49ers or Broncos shop the 13 or 15 for Love or Herbert if they are still there. It hurts what I was hoping for because I truly thought we were in the best position to trade back, but now I think the 9ers are...

Comment

Working...
                        X