Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NFL Draft

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Broncos don't have the money to spend more on Adams. They don't have the cap left to do so.

    Plus they already lead the league on salary for Safeties. How much more can they put into one position while others are left ignored? Broncos need to put money on the other side of the ball. They are the most lopsided off/def payroll in the league. And it shows.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
      Broncos don't have the money to spend more on Adams. They don't have the cap left to do so.

      Plus they already lead the league on salary for Safeties. How much more can they put into one position while others are left ignored? Broncos need to put money on the other side of the ball. They are the most lopsided off/def payroll in the league. And it shows.
      That will depend on Lock. If he takes the next step like they expect, then that disparity will change a lot.
      What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
      I don't know and I don't care

      Comment


      • I think my expectation is that Denver will execute a trade up to 9 or 10 for Jeudy or, to the dismay of mock drafters everywhere, Justin Jefferson. Starting to think he's higher on teams' boards than mock drafters'.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
          That will depend on Lock. If he takes the next step like they expect, then that disparity will change a lot.
          It is a bit more then just the QB. Currently sits at Off- $66M to Def- $123M . Even if Lock excels and takes Miller's share in a couple years it will still be uneven. Not to say it needs to be exactly 50/50 but there has to be some money (limited at this point) and draft assets put into the offense.

          As I mentioned earlier, too bad the Broncos are wasting dead cap on Flacco. His $14M could have filled some holes. Keep McGovern and Wolfe? Another OT? CB?

          There is a reason they are scoring 17pts a game. You get what you pay for. And if you are not going to buy the talent you better draft it.
          Last edited by FR Tim; 04-17-2020, 05:46 PM.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
            It is a bit more then just the QB. Currently sits at Off- $66M to Def- $123M . Even if Lock excels and takes Miller's share in a couple years it will still be uneven. Not to say it needs to be exactly 50/50 but there has to be some money (limited at this point) and draft assets put into the offense.

            As I mentioned earlier, too bad the Broncos are wasting dead cap on Flacco. His $14M could have filled some holes. Keep McGovern and Wolfe? Another OT? CB?

            There is a reason they are scoring 17pts a game. You get what you pay for. And if you are not going to buy the talent you better draft it.
            I meant in terms of the lopsidedness showing on results. If Lock emerges as a franchise QB, the offense will close the production gap in a hurry. At the end of the day if you don't have a QB, you don't really have anything. However, an elite defense sure helps. As for the Flacco thing, that's easy to say in hindsight. They traded for him before they had Lock, and extended while Lock was hurt and it was no given he would be able to play that year.
            What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
            I don't know and I don't care

            Comment


            • Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
              It is a bit more then just the QB. Currently sits at Off- $66M to Def- $123M . Even if Lock excels and takes Miller's share in a couple years it will still be uneven. Not to say it needs to be exactly 50/50 but there has to be some money (limited at this point) and draft assets put into the offense.

              As I mentioned earlier, too bad the Broncos are wasting dead cap on Flacco. His $14M could have filled some holes. Keep McGovern and Wolfe? Another OT? CB?

              There is a reason they are scoring 17pts a game. You get what you pay for. And if you are not going to buy the talent you better draft it.
              There is no real dead money in Flacco...

              Whatever leftover money they had at the end of the season, form redoing his contract rolled over...negating the cap hit..

              The “dead money “ is very little when it’s said and done.
              sigpic

              Comment


              • Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
                There is no real dead money in Flacco...

                Whatever leftover money they had at the end of the season, form redoing his contract rolled over...negating the cap hit..

                The “dead money “ is very little when it’s said and done.
                Thanks for pointing that out. Went back and looked at team salary again. And you are correct. The rollover does cover his salary this year.

                Essentially Broncos restructured , delayed payment a year and then didn't use the cap last year, so it goes right back to Flacco.

                My misunderstanding. The Broncos would not have had any money to use on other players. It's tied up into a retired QB either way.

                Comment


                • Comment


                  • Interesting take, and one which I have been thinking about when it comes to this potential run on wide receivers. Will teams view the talent differential between say first and second round prospects at other positions as larger than at wide receiver ? Maybe teams start to think they can wait around to grab that talented reciever into the second, but can't at say offensive tackle or linebacker.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Bootleg View Post
                      WoW 😯 Interesting 🤔 News.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
                        Interesting take, and one which I have been thinking about when it comes to this potential run on wide receivers. Will teams view the talent differential between say first and second round prospects at other positions as larger than at wide receiver ? Maybe teams start to think they can wait around to grab that talented reciever into the second, but can't at say offensive tackle or linebacker.
                        I take it as maybe outside of Burrow, teams won't be going QB and will make a run at some of these WRs and OTs. Reports coming out that "several" teams dropping Tua from their draft board because of injury concerns. Herberts problem is bad film in big games. I think these guys fall way down. Almost all of these top teams drafting NEED OT or WR help. The strength of this draft is OT and WR, why wouldn't these teams take the best players of the draft???

                        Comment


                        • Think the comments have more to do with later rounds then to the 1st. Maybe a couple of surprises in the top 30-40 selected but for the most part there is more of a consensus.

                          The missing “group think “ seems more evident after that. I am basing this on doing too many mocks or looking at ranking lists. I’ve noticed wide disparity of where certain players are placed.

                          One example that I notice is Biadasz. One mock may have him placed end of the second, seen others with him in the fifth round. Seen others with similar disparities. A couple of Dlineman come to mind. Sometimes head scratching to see them listed so late at times.

                          Will make for some interesting decisions revealed by the GMs next weekend. Apparently more so then a usual draft. Can’t wait.
                          Last edited by FR Tim; 04-18-2020, 09:11 AM.

                          Comment


                          • Get Bechton at 15 trade back from the 2nd round into the 20s and get Jefferson.
                            Follow me on Twitter
                            @gmoney8150 Personal account

                            My Broncos account @All_DenBroncos

                            ^^^Follow^^^

                            Comment


                            • This draft may lack the fanfare and the shiny stuff, but I find it more intriguing than most. The lack of face to face opportunity, including work outs and interviews and even medical related info, makes this a different process, as will the virtual nature of the draft itself. This should be fun!

                              I just hope there are a lot of trades, even if we have a few extra time outs. Trades are especially exciting.

                              Hey, as long as it is on, that we know what is going on, and we have some analysts providing some support expertise, I am good to go!!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
                                I take it as maybe outside of Burrow, teams won't be going QB and will make a run at some of these WRs and OTs. Reports coming out that "several" teams dropping Tua from their draft board because of injury concerns. Herberts problem is bad film in big games. I think these guys fall way down. Almost all of these top teams drafting NEED OT or WR help. The strength of this draft is OT and WR, why wouldn't these teams take the best players of the draft???
                                At the end of the day it's all perception, and really how the individual wants to look at certain things. This quarterback class on tape is dramatically better than last years. The 3 of Burrow, Herbert, and Tua have collectively put up superior tape as a group, and I don't understand how from one year you can advocate trading into the top 5 for Jones or top 10 for Lock, who both had ample putrid tape, bad tape, and the exact kind of tape you accuse Herbert of having against bad teams, but think this year the guy will drop ?

                                I think you are off base. I think 3 quarterbacks are taken in the top 10 this year, with only 1 reciever gone by that same pick, potentially none. When you look at supply and demand, that is what drives guys higher, it drives anything in the market higher. With so much talent at wideout, a strategy could be to shift focus to another position, and expect that more talent will be there later in the draft, in the second round. Last year I said over and over the group of quarterbacks wasn't that good, and people were predicting that 6 at one point in the first round would be taken, way wrong. That happened for a different reason, collectively that group was mediocre, the tape told us that, but wide reciever in this draft might not have the high picks everyone expects, because there are so many options for teams to choose from, that is my prediction this year.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X