No announcement yet.

NFL Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just an observation, but in a league with most teams having the same overall roster salary amount and the same draft restrictions (one pick per round per year - yes, there are exceptions due to trades), it really helps if you can "hit" on a player that wasn't an early round pick. Many SB teams have this characteristic - they hit on a decent percentage of their early round picks PLUS they have a great player no one expected to be great. Terrell Davis, CHJ are examples from 2 of our SB teams. Tom Brady* of course, but Russell Wilson also comes to mind on the QB front. Tyreek Hill was pick #165, and George Kittle was pick #146 from the most recent SB.

If any team, including the ones who drafted those players thought they'd turn out as well as they have, they would have gone much higher. So credit the teams for identifying the players, but credit luck for those players being key pieces of a SB team. Point being there's value to later picks, and you really need one of them to pan out in a big way to have an edge on the rest of the league. I think it's a mistake to think the only sure-fire way to get a star WR is to package picks and trade up for WR3 in the draft. We've been burned by this mentality with Lynch and Ray. The team has enough positions needing upgrades IMHO that staying pat or trading back if we can get who we want later makes the most sense in this draft.

Comment

As much as I have been pounding the table for Henry Ruggs.....and I have been pounding......I never once said trade up. I'm thinking San Fran is going to nab our guy. To me , I feel ultimately, Javon Kinlaw will be there at pick 15 and will be the BPA. He would bring a nice extra rotation to our already stout Defensive line. Problem is, we then need to pick a quality CB in the second round, and then where does our juice for the offence come from. Double dip at WR in the third and throw in an OT ?

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter01 View Post
        As much as I have been pounding the table for Henry Ruggs.....and I have been pounding......I never once said trade up. I'm thinking San Fran is going to nab our guy. To me , I feel ultimately, Javon Kinlaw will be there at pick 15 and will be the BPA. He would bring a nice extra rotation to our already stout Defensive line. Problem is, we then need to pick a quality CB in the second round, and then where does our juice for the offence come from. Double dip at WR in the third and throw in an OT ?
        With the amount of picks we have relative to the amount of roster spots left, a trade up should be expected.

Comment

Trouble with waiting until the third for WR and OT is the quality of those players drops off significantly to developmental types for OT and flawed WRs. Just a little slow, a little less surehanded or needs a lot of route work. Role players.

It is going to be interesting to see how that first pick goes. Because I agree with you that it sets up the next few picks like dominos falling.

Sadly there is only so much that can be expected from the draft. Broncos will need to be active in the next phase of free agents and pray for some natural development from current young and returning from injury players.

Broncos have a lot of holes to fill. So far we have mostly seen lateral moves instead of filling the holes. Lose one, add one. The biggest “addition” to the roster has been the controversial decision to add Gordon to the RB room.

Comment

I wouldn't call adding gordon controversial
            So far:
            FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
            1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

Originally posted by underrated29 View Post
              Maybe only for the amount of money. I personally think he is a great addition. Our history of drafting a rd 1 WR outside of DT is not amazing. Luckily this year there looks to be several really good ones.

I have no problem taking Kinlaw at #15. If I had to choose between Kinlaw and Ruggs I would choose Ruggs. However IMHO there is almost no difference in best available pick between these two. So either way we get a good pick.

Comment

Originally posted by underrated29 View Post
                That’s cool. Just a difference of opinion.

Giving $8m to a RB that has dropped off is controversial IMO. Great move if he returns to form of a couple years ago. If he is the player he was last year it was another waste of resources for a position that arguably didn’t need a marquee signing.

I hope he excels and prove me wrong. But it depends on which Gordon shows up.

Comment

If we don’t move up for Ruggs then I see Elway taking CJ Henderson at 15 and that juice for the offensive will come later in the first or early in the second when they Maneuver to take someone like Denzel Mims, Justin Jefferson or Chase Claypool.

I think we’ll see Henderson and Mims become Denver Broncos.
                  sigpic

Comment

Seeing a lot of “just trade down “ suggestions. I am always a bit skeptical of the realistic opportunities of doing so. Not impossible but limited.

Always wonder , who is the trade partner? How far back ? And which teams might be unexpectedly taking your target before you get to the new spot after the trade. I’ve even seen some of the trade back suggestions being taken before at immediately after#15.

So many variables. Can’t wait to see how Elway handles this draft. Which holes are plugged and how effectively they are plugged will be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                      3 Weeks To Go!!!

Bless him!
                      Just way too funny to not bump Just 2 WEEKS !!!!

Comment

It’s amazing how fast it came but I’m hoping Elway and his crew have a good plan to work from home without any misunderstandings.

I’d really hate to see them make the wrong pick or worse by missing a selection.
                        sigpic

Comment

If we trade up for a WR, like Ruggs, I don't think it will be higher than pick 10. Then, I just think about what those teams need and if it makes sense for them to move down. Cleveland at #10 desperately needs a LT and they'll likely have their choice at #10. The Jets need an OT and a WR. I don't know if they want to move down and risk losing out on any of their top choices. We almost certainly aren't trading with the Raiders. The 49ers have 2 first round picks and none until the fifth. But, they are a legit Super Bowl contender and I think if they trade down, it will be from #31. I believe they want to stay at #13 and get a WR they need to go with Deebo Samuel, George Kittle and their running game. Tampa Bay at #14, is probably unlikely too. Personally, I think the top WR are gone by 13. And, I think there will be the last one of the top OL there that the Bucs will take.

Obviously, I could be wrong, but, to me, I don't think we will end up trading up for a WR. Not necessarily because Elway doesn't want to, but, probably, because the teams ahead of us might not be willing too, unless they get a major haul of picks.

Comment

This what I call the "red zone"....when you get within 2 weeks you are now in serious lockdown mode, which is sadly what this era can be described as. But this is when I really get pumped. Can't get enough Path To The Draft or any related NFL Draft goodies!

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
                            It’s amazing how fast it came but I’m hoping Elway and his crew have a good plan to work from home without any misunderstandings.

I’d really hate to see them make the wrong pick or worse by missing a selection.
                            I hope this does not involve a fax machine, in Elway's house.....

Comment

Man I can't wait. Dream draft for me would be:

1. Ruggs
                              2. Fulton/Gladney (trade up for in early second round if available)
                              3. Bryan Edwards/Tyler Johnson
                              3. Bryce Hall

If we could load up receiving corps and secondary with studs we are on our way. I have faith in Munchak with Morris at center and can wait a year for a tackle.
                              "He's going to be the #1 receiver, and is going to be a star in this league for a long time" Todd Mcshay on Jerry Jeudy

Comment

Fax machine? I’d be more worried about signals being interrupted or the WiFi being blocked.

Is anyone keeping an eye on the Patriots?

Hope the league monitors any “ completely independent low level Pats employees “ ordering spy equipment off the internet.

Comment

Working...
                                X