Isaiah Simmons vs. Henry Ruggs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Agree and I believe that’s an area he would work hard to improve.
    From what I've read there's zero issue with work ethic with him.

Comment

I’ve been lobbying for Henry Ruggs III a lot on this board, but he isn’t without some weaknesses.

A huge mark on my evaluation of Ruggs was last year against LSU where Kristian Fulton matched up on him for nearly the entire game. There’s a reason Fulton is my CB2 ahead of Henderson. Fulton neutralized Ruggs with physical press man coverage and good technique. Virtually every rep where Fulton got his hands on Ruggs at the LOS, the latter struggled mightily to get any kind of separation. That’s not to say that Ruggs doesn’t try to fight through it, though. I see a certain feistiness that’s needed for a WR his size to succeed at the next level. On the reps where Ruggs beat Fulton, I saw similarities between him and Jeudy— where they use their explosion and quick feet off the line to use single/double moves to whoop their cover man.

If there’s one thing that will elevate Ruggs to become a star in the NFL, it will be work on winning more consistently at the LOS with clean releases. Give him an offseason in an NFL weight room with the proper guidance of Coach Azzani and tips from Courtland Sutton. My dream would be for Ruggs to spend a few days working with Steve Smith Sr. on these nuances in technique. Because Ruggs has the toughness, hands, and world class athleticism to succeed— heck, even his route running downfield is already very good— it’s just the little details that prevent me from putting him clearly over Jeudy/Lamb.
      2020 Adopt-A-Bronco: #10 JERRY JEUDY
      Previous Adoptees: #25 CHRIS HARRIS, #38 QUINTON CARTER, #43 TJ WARD

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
        Interestingly in the quote you had he was higher on Ruggs hands, but sounded less high on his route running than in the quote I provided.

Talking in general, not about you or any other poster: it seems like a lot of people have become so in love with Ruggs as a prospect that they're convinced he's the perfect prospect, and he has no flaws. And they've closed their mind and immediately dismiss anyone who is willing to say that there are some flaws. He does have flaws, just like every prospect in the draft. And that's okay, because the good players will work on those flaws, and from everything I've read, work ethic isn't a problem with Ruggs.

My hesitation towards Ruggs (and once again I'll say I'm okay if they take him at 15, but he's my 3rd choice) is that he didn't get a lot of targets in college. He seems to be way more about potential and projection than any other receiver, where you've got targets and production to go along with it. I'm not okay with using the 15th pick on a receiver who will end up as a 60 catches per year receiver. With a first round pick, particularly in the top half, I want a high volume, high production receiver.
        I would agree we can become too focused on the hype with a player. There is some truth to people becoming too enamored with the 40 time. If we step back and look at this thread the same thing could be said of Simmons. While he’s certainly a tremendous prospect, it’s as if he’s already a first ballot HOF linebacker. Maybe he will, but let’s see him play a few seasons first.

Regarding the production, look at the talent on Alabama’s roster. They spread the ball around, A player’s ability goes beyond the top-line stats. On one play, Smith was fighting for yards and the ball was stripped by an Arkansas defender. Ruggs stayed with the play and beat multiple players to recover the ball for a touchdown. That’s the kind of player the Broncos need.

Comment

Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
          I would agree we can become too focused on the hype with a player. There is some truth to people becoming too enamored with the 40 time. If we step back and look at this thread the same thing could be said of Simmons. While he’s certainly a tremendous prospect, it’s as if he’s already a first ballot HOF linebacker. Maybe he will, but let’s see him play a few seasons first.

Regarding the production, look at the talent on Alabama’s roster. They spread the ball around, A player’s ability goes beyond the top-line stats. On one play, Smith was fighting for yards and the ball was stripped by an Arkansas defender. Ruggs stayed with the play and beat multiple players to recover the ball for a touchdown. That’s the kind of player the Broncos need.
          I'm certainly guilty when it comes to Simmons, he's my favourite player in the draft, I would give up early picks next year for him. But I do have concerns about him as well.

I don't care who they take, I just hope they get it right. I'm ready for them to be good again. I'm veery much looking forward to 8 days from now when we can finally move from debating the prospects to analyzing who we got.

Comment

I'm certainly guilty when it comes to Simmons, he's my favourite player in the draft, I would give up early picks next year for him. But I do have concerns about him as well.

I don't care who they take, I just hope they get it right. I'm ready for them to be good again. I'm veery much looking forward to 8 days from now when we can finally move from debating the prospects to analyzing who we got.
            Giving up picks in future years generally bites that team in the butt I feel.
            sigpic
            oakland raders gm
            latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
              Giving up picks in future years generally bites that team in the butt I feel.
              I don't disagree. There's a reason New England always preys on teams by taking future picks from them.

But I also think it depends on where your team is in their build, if you're New Orleans (traded this pick last year) where you've got an old QB who's year to year and you're trying to win again before he retires, it makes some sense. If you're KC where you've got a championship roster, and you've got your longterm answer at QB. it makes sense. If you're Carolina, Jacksonville or Miami, where you've got way more questions than answers, and you look like you're near the start of a rebuild, it makes zero sense to trade future high picks.

Right now it doesn't make sense for Denver to trade this high future picks. They might be getting closer to that position, but until Lock shows he's the guy, or they're getting in position to draft that guy, it's not time yet. But Simmons is the one player in the draft who would make me think about it.

Comment

I don't disagree. There's a reason New England always preys on teams by taking future picks from them.

But I also think it depends on where your team is in their build, if you're New Orleans (traded this pick last year) where you've got an old QB who's year to year and you're trying to win again before he retires, it makes some sense. If you're KC where you've got a championship roster, and you've got your longterm answer at QB. it makes sense. If you're Carolina, Jacksonville or Miami, where you've got way more questions than answers, and you look like you're near the start of a rebuild, it makes zero sense to trade future high picks.

Right now it doesn't make sense for Denver to trade this high future picks. They might be getting closer to that position, but until Lock shows he's the guy, or they're getting in position to draft that guy, it's not time yet. But Simmons is the one player in the draft who would make me think about it.
                I think this goes back to what you’ve said in the past about having more quality players across the roster. It’s not about hitting big on one pick, rather getting more players who contribute consistently. An example might be a guy like Risner. The Broncos didn’t trade future high picks to move up. They got a player who made immediate impact and will hopefully be in Denver for a long time.

Comment

The only reason to use a future pick is to land a player you really believe will be a foundation piece for your franchise on and off the field.

Who knows if Elway/ Shurmur/ Fangio sees that guy. If they do I say go for it!

Every draft is different. Just because they “hit” on Risner, Fant and Lock using a trade strategy last year does not mean it is the best option this year.

Many have strong opinions on what should be done (remain, trade up/ down, multiple trades, quantity vs quality) as the multiple threads and discussions attest to.

But in the end it will be fun to see what strategy Elway takes “this” year. Ten more days and we will know.

Comment

I’m not trading a future 1st unless we go for one of the top OTs in this draft. Because we will most definitely need it next year when Bolles’ contract expires and another talented OT class is expected to enter the 2021 draft (Penei Sewell, Alex Leatherwood, Cole Van Lanen, Samuel Cosmi, Rashawn Slater, etc.).
                    2020 Adopt-A-Bronco: #10 JERRY JEUDY
                    Previous Adoptees: #25 CHRIS HARRIS, #38 QUINTON CARTER, #43 TJ WARD

Comment

Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
                      I’m not trading a future 1st unless we go for one of the top OTs in this draft. Because we will most definitely need it next year when Bolles’ contract expires and another talented OT class is expected to enter the 2021 draft (Penei Sewell, Alex Leatherwood, Cole Van Lanen, Samuel Cosmi, Rashawn Slater, etc.).
                      If Broncos pick an OT at #15 or trade up for one I’m not sure either Bolles or Thomas is still a consideration.

IMO they take an OT that high he will be starting day one. It can’t be a developmental player for next year or insurance if one fails to start the season.

And who knows if either Bolles and James would be physically or mentally prepared to be a backup or switched to another position.

A trade using a future high pick into the top 10 is for that rare player that will have an impact the moment his name is called. Does Elway see that player? We will find out.

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                        I think it’s more likely to be Kinlaw vs Thomas honestly
                        Thomas will not be there and neither will Simmons. I like them the best. So we're screwed on those guys. I don't even think they'll be there for the Raiders, either, which is good.

Comment

Working...
                        X