Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Selecting 3 in the top 50 again this draft (mock)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only OT I would take in the first round is one of the top four (Wills, Wirfs, Becton, Thomas). Same for WR (Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs). And if Kinlaw isn't there at 15, either, then I would, and expect us to, trade down if possible, or just take one of the next defensive prospects, like DE Epenesa, CB Henderson, or one of the ILB Murray or Queen. I just don't get the feeling that we're trading up for Simmons or Ruggs. There is a lot of quality players to be had in the first three rounds and I think Elway knows that.

Comment

Originally posted by atwaterandstir View Post
      You know, I wouldnt have even considered ILB but after FA I think we have filled some holes and these two specific LBs (Murray and Queen) have great range and speed. With the TEs in our division we have to address the position with high quality players sometime. Between Kelce, Waller and Henry the AFCW is stacked at TE.....every week it seems like we are facing another good one. 15 may be too early, but with the Raiders and Ravens selecting behind us I'm not sure how late Murray will go.
      As for Jackson, I know he has his issues but at 20 years old coaching him up should be expected. I see him as a high return draft pick for whoever pulls the trigger. Our team happens to be in a great situation where we not only have the guy to coach him, but the roster depth to (essentially) absorb him.

I agree with you in the depth of the draft, but in particular the late 1st-2nd. I am really hoping for a trade back if my preference (Ruggs) isn't there. With so many good WRs this year, other positions are sliding. I'm getting excited already!
      I think it is a pretty big mistake to think that a fast ILB is going to shut down these TEs. I have watched a fair amount of Murray and Queen and neither of them are great in coverage. Queen is better, but still falls asleep and gives up big plays. The key to LSU stopping big plays down the middle was Delpit not Queen. In fact, take a look at what happened to that D when Delpit was out. Queen was exposed quite a few times and didn't have Delpit to cover his rear. If Delpit continues to fall he will be a steal. That kid can flat out cover the back of the field (but that is not our topic). Murray takes bad angles and tackles going backwards, it reminds me of DJ Williams. I think his instincts are not nearly as good as his athleticism. I think they both become above average ILBs in the NFL but I don't think they are going to shut down TEs and RBs in the passing game. I am also not sold that they really improve our team very much so I would rather not spend a 1st rounder on a player like that.

If you want someone that can cover the TE, then take Troy Dye or Akeem Davis Gaither. Or draft Chinn or Duggar and use them in a hybrid mode ala Thomas Davis. I think all 4 would be better options for slowing down the TE position and none would cost us a first round pick.

Comment

With Queen there is a lot of projection, but his tape over the last 5 weeks of the season is of a top 10 pick in this draft. If he had another year as a starter he would be talked about in that range. If we can trade down and nab him, I don't think we would regret it. Davis in his last year of contract, Jewell has not shown anything to make me believe he is more than a backup.

You take Queen's last 6 games and project that over a full college season and you have 98 TT, 15 TFL, and 6 Sacks from your ILB. Those last 6 games were against Clemson, Bama, Oklahoma, Georgia, Texas A&M, and ARK...so it was against a lot of NFL quality talent.

I am not saying he will shut down opposing TEs, but he will do a much better job at it than Davis does. Remember we also have Ekleler and Jacobs at RB in our division and KC loves throwing to RBS. We need a better coverage LB and I think Queen should be on our radar.

Dye and Gaither just do not show up with the power I see in Queen, they look like big safety
        Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

Originally posted by MHSalute View Post
          With Queen there is a lot of projection, but his tape over the last 5 weeks of the season is of a top 10 pick in this draft. If he had another year as a starter he would be talked about in that range. If we can trade down and nab him, I don't think we would regret it. Davis in his last year of contract, Jewell has not shown anything to make me believe he is more than a backup.

You take Queen's last 6 games and project that over a full college season and you have 98 TT, 15 TFL, and 6 Sacks from your ILB. Those last 6 games were against Clemson, Bama, Oklahoma, Georgia, Texas A&M, and ARK...so it was against a lot of NFL quality talent.

I am not saying he will shut down opposing TEs, but he will do a much better job at it than Davis does. Remember we also have Ekleler and Jacobs at RB in our division and KC loves throwing to RBS. We need a better coverage LB and I think Queen should be on our radar.

Dye and Gaither just do not show up with the power I see in Queen, they look like big safety
          Gaither is definitely closer to a big safety, but has much better coverage skills IMO. He would probably not be an every down ILB. Dye is actually bigger and has a bigger frame than Queen. I like Dye for the cheaper price but either way I would spend an early pick on an ILB.

I think Queen would be a good player but our pass D was not bad last year. IMO we have significantly more opportunity to make this team better on offense. Investing in the OL and some explosion would seem to me to be a better step. Not to mention this draft is loaded at OT and WR

Comment

Kinlaw is probably the guy I want most at 15. Incredibly dominant physical ability and incredibly raw hand technique. Once a good coach gets with him he will be a force on the dline. I think Kyle Dugger and Jeff Gladney are probably the next 2 guys I’d like to see on day 2.

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
              Kinlaw is probably the guy I want most at 15. Incredibly dominant physical ability and incredibly raw hand technique. Once a good coach gets with him he will be a force on the dline. I think Kyle Dugger and Jeff Gladney are probably the next 2 guys I’d like to see on day 2.
              As much as I want Ruggs....I have feeling Kinlaw will be the pick. Wouldn't be too upset over this. In the second....Gladney would be awesome.....I've seen a lot of mocks with him as a late 1st. I originally wanted Cush, Ruiz or any C/G but reports are telling us they feel we already have our center and back up on the team.....so if Kinlaw is the pick, we would need a WR or CB in the second.

Comment

Kinlaw looks to be a really, really good football player. I am curious as to what Cleveland and Tampa do in rd 1. I think Brown goes before Kinlaw so if those 2 teams don't take Kinlaw we might have a shot at him at #15. Elway could surprise me and take a LB in rd 1 but I will have to see it to believe it.

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter01 View Post
                  As much as I want Ruggs....I have feeling Kinlaw will be the pick. Wouldn't be too upset over this. In the second....Gladney would be awesome.....I've seen a lot of mocks with him as a late 1st. I originally wanted Cush, Ruiz or any C/G but reports are telling us they feel we already have our center and back up on the team.....so if Kinlaw is the pick, we would need a WR or CB in the second.
                  You mention “reports” telling us they already have oline depth. What is the source you are referring to? Reporters, team sources or a fan poster speculating?

Not trying to start an argument just curious. Because all the oline depth I see are longshot minimal contract guys. If Munchak has confidence in them maybe I’ll be a little less concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                    You mention “reports” telling us they already have oline depth. What is the source you are referring to? Reporters, team sources or a fan poster speculating?

Not trying to start an argument just curious. Because all the oline depth I see are longshot minimal contract guys. If Munchak has confidence in them maybe I’ll be a little less concerned.
                    There is currently no quality depth at the Tackle position. O-Line coaches start their best five shuffled to their best spots. Right now that would probably be Glasgow, Risner, Bolles, James and Wilkinson. Schlottmann and Morris might be considered quality depth inside. Jake Rodgers is a Tackle, but counting on him for depth doesn't inspire confidence. Wilkinson had twelve starts at RT last season and didn't look good or show he has upside at that spot. He had seven starts at RG in 2018 and that seems his best spot.

It would be good to know Munchak's take on the current group. IMO Denver needs to draft an offensive tackle no later than the third round. James was essentially unavailable last year and to my knowledge has had no medical procedure to address his injury. His health, availability and heart are in question. Bolles has other issues which raise questions about the two presumed starting Tackles. Counting on them to be the answer this year and counting on Wilkinson and Rodgers to provide depth makes me nervous. Reinforcements are needed.
                    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                      There is currently no quality depth at the Tackle position. O-Line coaches start their best five shuffled to their best spots. Right now that would probably be Glasgow, Risner, Bolles, James and Wilkinson. Schlottmann and Morris might be considered quality depth inside. Jake Rodgers is a Tackle, but counting on him for depth doesn't inspire confidence. Wilkinson had twelve starts at RT last season and didn't look good or show he has upside at that spot. He had seven starts at RG in 2018 and that seems his best spot.

It would be good to know Munchak's take on the current group. IMO Denver needs to draft an offensive tackle no later than the third round. James was essentially unavailable last year and to my knowledge has had no medical procedure to address his injury. His health, availability and heart are in question. Bolles has other issues which raise questions about the two presumed starting Tackles. Counting on them to be the answer this year and counting on Wilkinson and Rodgers to provide depth makes me nervous. Reinforcements are needed.
                      Thanks for the opinion. I really do not know much about Morris, Schlottmann or Rodgers. Just keep seeing them discussed as legitimate options. Even saw a comment that Morris could be the starting C ? Really?

C remains a concern if he can’t. Signing another vet back up OT seems inevitable IMO. But that C/G starter next to Glasgow could be just as much of an issue. Perhaps Wilkinson? He seems more suited as a backup. All I can see is 2 starters lost, 1 starter signed.

Expect some of those reinforcements to be drafted in the top six picks. Where will depend on how the selections go.

Back to my original question, I just don’t recall hearing much from Munchak or Broncos this off-season on how confident they are on the oline situation. Kind of a mystery at the moment for such a key factor / issue for the team.

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post

Back to my original question, I just don’t recall hearing much from Munchak or Broncos this off-season on how confident they are on the oline situation. Kind of a mystery at the moment for such a key factor / issue for the team.
                        https://predominantlyorange.com/2020...ine-nfl-draft/

So this is one link that identifies that Munchak has worked with Morris while @ Pittsburgh. It's not the article I read to state Morris starter, Schlottman back up....I'll keep looking. I wouldn't repeat it if I didn't read it.

Comment

Working...
                        X