Trade back and draft Laviska Shenault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Athletic report on Shenault, according to 5 scouts:

10. LAVISKA SHENAULT, Colorado (6-0 ½, 227, 4.58, 2-3): Classic boom-or-bust prospect. “Mental and injury,” one scout replied when asked why Shenault was his choice to bust. “He’s always been the best guy on his team. You put him in one position and he’s just going to flounder. He’s head and shoulders in the bust factor above everyone else. I wouldn’t be surprised if he has a big fall.” Played split end for the Buffaloes but also did extensive damage as a ‘wildcat’ quarterback. “Little bit immature but, my God, is he big and powerful,” a second scout said. “His ’18 film was way better than his ’19 film. He’s a power guy, and those guys play.” He’s coming off of core muscle surgery in late February and also has had shoulder and turf toe surgery. “He’s kind of got some Cordarrelle Patterson to him in terms of his role,” a third scout said. “Not as explosive. With that body type, I don’t see A.J. Brown. A.J. made so many contested catches and was so productive for three years. A.J. was a receiver when he came out. This guy is an athlete. He’ll have to make a transition to a receiver, and I think he’s going to have a tough time.” Finished with 149 catches for 1,943 (13.0) and 10 TDs. “He’s not bad, just not a lot of personality,” said a fourth scout. “Kind of low-key.” Wonderlic of 14. Small hands (9). A third-year junior from DeSoto, Texas.

Comment

I read that Athletic report article and it raises some points but curiously fails to mention his important role in the run game as well his familiarity with all the WR positions and his clutch moments.
      Here is what was oddly left off that scouting report-
      42 rushing attempts for 280 yards, averaging 6.7 yards per carry and scoring seven touchdowns.

Of course there are some scouts that didn't get to interview him and might not have had the ability to see him play live as we did (multiple times) these teams and scouts would never pull that trigger. Lucky for us we are not in that predicament. We got to watch him dominate his competition and have a better idea of his true character and role.

"After announcing surgery, it was thought by many in the scouting community that Shenault’s stock would fall to the second or third round. Instead, he continues to intrigue teams that need a dynamic and versatile play-maker" . That was from an SI article mentioning some scouts views. Some love him, some are playing it safe.

I do love the Walter football review- particularly comparing the bad vs good.
      https://walterfootball.com/scoutingr...0LShenault.php

Comment

Originally posted by atwaterandstir View Post
        I read that Athletic report article and it raises some points but curiously fails to mention his important role in the run game as well his familiarity with all the WR positions and his clutch moments.
        Here is what was oddly left off that scouting report-
        42 rushing attempts for 280 yards, averaging 6.7 yards per carry and scoring seven touchdowns.

Of course there are some scouts that didn't get to interview him and might not have had the ability to see him play live as we did (multiple times) these teams and scouts would never pull that trigger. Lucky for us we are not in that predicament. We got to watch him dominate his competition and have a better idea of his true character and role.

"After announcing surgery, it was thought by many in the scouting community that Shenault’s stock would fall to the second or third round. Instead, he continues to intrigue teams that need a dynamic and versatile play-maker" . That was from an SI article mentioning some scouts views. Some love him, some are playing it safe.

I do love the Walter football review- particularly comparing the bad vs good.
        https://walterfootball.com/scoutingr...0LShenault.php
        Those weren't left off, they talked about him being the Wildcat QB (running the ball) and also how they think he'll struggle in one position rather than being moved everywhere to be the focus of the offense.

Walter Football is not reliable, he pushes things forever. It wasn't until January that he finally stopped having Austin Jackson as his top LT in the draft.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
          Those weren't left off, they talked about him being the Wildcat QB (running the ball) and also how they think he'll struggle in one position rather than being moved everywhere to be the focus of the offense.

Walter Football is not reliable, he pushes things forever. It wasn't until January that he finally stopped having Austin Jackson as his top LT in the draft.
          I'm not suggesting sites like Walter football or any other should be taken for more than anything but another perspective.

You don't want him, I can see that. As for me, I think he would be an incredible weapon for our new OC who runs mostly 3 WR sets. Look at Shurmur was able to do with the spread field for his Rookie QB with WRs who aren't nearly as versatile. Not to mention our redzone run game was so average we over paid for Gordon.

There are a ton of WRs I can see working out great for us and I would be happy with a lot of them, but this is a chance to capitalize on value.

Comment

5. Laviska Shenault Jr. + Broncos = +0.64 wins

Shenault has more of a fit-dependent Year 1 production projection than any of the four receivers my model rates ahead of him. However, his 2018 film (he was awesome) versus 2019 (he was injured) creates a high ceiling. My math suggests that pairing him with Drew Lock and Courtland Sutton increases the probability of realizing more ceiling-like results earlier in his career. Shenault's resume shows high potential value after the catch; PFF counts 44 broken tackles for him over the past two seasons (29 in 2018, ranked second in FBS). His potential to catch physical, scheme-based passes as a rookie, while developing more complex skill sets as he matures, should help Lock continue to develop -- especially with Sutton drawing the bulk of the attention from opposing defenses.

Interesting take for analytics -

Comment

As a Buffs fan I’ve seen a lot of Shenault. I’m well aware of the injury history and it’s not overblown at all. I love the talent but truth is the man goes off the field a ton over not very hard hits. I personally think he is soft.

I’d be ok with a later round pick on him but absolutely not at 15.

Too much of a health risk.
              sigpic

Comment

He should be in a freefall at this point. No way I would trade anything to move up and get him. I wouldn't even consider before the 3rd. I think he is an exciting player, but his style is very physical and he gets injured. He loves to run over people. That will only be worse in the NFL, unless he changes his game, I think he is set for a short injury riddled career. I would consider a 3rd or 4th round pick on him with the hope that you could coach him to avoid the injury situation or just expect to deal with the injuries. Big potential upside but significant risk. I would NEVER consider him in the first or second round. I hope we don't hear his name at 46.

Comment

Shenault is healthy, can play multiple WR positions and is a future offensive leader. The Buffs rallied around this 2 time MVP and his toughness. Led NCAA in receptions per game in 2018. Missed games, played hurt and still put up numbers that few can compare to. Shurmur would have a field day with the looks we could give.

GB (30), SF (31) Cin (33), Ind (34) all great fits in addition to the Broncos. If Elway can trade back into the mid 20s while gaining an extra pick he could pull off something special.

Comment

Here is a great letter Laviska wrote to all NFL GM's.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en...neral-managers
                    "He's going to be the #1 receiver, and is going to be a star in this league for a long time" Todd Mcshay on Jerry Jeudy

Comment

He's a great player and will be a fan favorite wherever he lands. He won't be loved because he breaks long TDs and burns everyone out there.....he will be loved because he turns the short slant into first downs. He will punish the arm tacklers and move the chains. He's a hard playing football player and fans love these guys. He's going to get the Marshawn Lynch love from some fan base.

Several teams that could utilize him and really move into another offensive level are Dal, NO, Den, SF, GB to name a few. Sadly he fits in great with the Chiefs who will be facing the loss of offensive talent starting next year.

The Saints are an interesting team for Shenault. Peyton gets creative and already shows the willingness in that aspect. Shenault would give them another great chess piece.

Comment

History of ankle, foot, and core injuries. No thanks. Maybe take a flyer on him (Jake Butt like) if he's there in the 4th.

Comment

Originally posted by ramanboy33 View Post
                          History of ankle, foot, and core injuries. No thanks. Maybe take a flyer on him (Jake Butt like) if he's there in the 4th.
                          Some of that history is now years removed.
                          The concern of what plagued him over this past year has been addressed with a minor surgery. He's cleared by his Drs to participate in any teams off season regimen starting Sat.

He won't be falling too far. There could be 12+ WRs taken in the first 2 rds.

Comment

No. Right now trading back isn't a good option, simply because we already have too many picks as it is. Right now if we draft 10 players, we can only sign 8-9 UDFA's, which is where we have historically found a lot of quality. I don't think many teams are going to be getting rid of their day 2 picks as easily as their day one picks seeing how deep this draft is at multiple positions. On top of that we need a dynamic player to revitalize this offense that doesn't come with red flags or risks - Shenault is as risky as they come. If anything, this is the draft to trade up for someone like Simmons.
                            Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
                              No. Right now trading back isn't a good option, simply because we already have too many picks as it is. Right now if we draft 10 players, we can only sign 8-9 UDFA's, which is where we have historically found a lot of quality. I don't think many teams are going to be getting rid of their day 2 picks as easily as their day one picks seeing how deep this draft is at multiple positions. On top of that we need a dynamic player to revitalize this offense that doesn't come with red flags or risks - Shenault is as risky as they come. If anything, this is the draft to trade up for someone like Simmons.
                              I agree with you, those 2nd and 3rds are very valuable this year. The amount of WRs and the lack of pre draft interview stages is going to make some really talented players drop. I love that we are set up to take advantage of that in the 3rd.

I have to believe judging by the WRs we have focused on at the combine and there after, that we are either looking at trading back or seeing which WR gets closest to our 46 pick before we have to trade up.

Comment

Sitting at 15 looks to be a good spot to capitalize.
                                There could be a QB like Love or WR needy teams like Philly may feel the need to not let the Raiders select twice in front of them.

The Dolphins have some serious wiggle room having the 2 extra picks. If there are a few guys they really like sitting at 15 and they might have a chance to get both of them with ours and their own 18, I wouldnt be surprised to see them shop us that 26. They also have #39 and 56. We could likely have our choice of the WRs we had interviewed at the combine or the ones we have been reportedly showing interest in. Shenault was one of these guys and I hope Russell and Elway are doing their thing to get him here.

Comment

Working...
                                X