My mock draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sra84 View Post
    He very well may go in first. Wouldn't surprise me. But looking at the teams from 23-32, who could look at OT, Seattle and San Francisco are both looking to trade down. Of course, someone could trade up for him. Green Bay, who could look at OT, is probably going with a WR. They have next to nothing after Davante Adams. Miami and Tennessee haven't had any meetings or talks with Ezra, at least that I could find. And in an unusual pre-draft process, I think teams are going to try and stick with players that they met with. And Minnesota, who traded away Stefon Diggs, released Xavier Rhodes, and lost Everson Griffin, probably needs WR, CB and an edge rusher more than OT and there's bound to be a player at one of those positions at #25 that they covet more than Cleveland.

While it may be likely Cleveland goes in the first, I don't think him sliding to the second is impossible.

I may be reading a little too much into it, but, that's the fun of mock drafts.
    I think your underestimate how much value you a quality Lt has in the nfl. Some people say they are the second most important thing on the field. Definitely second on the offense. Thus teams will pay a premium for them. I wouldn't be surprised to see 7 ot off the board in this draft. It is very strong at ot yet some what top heavy
    sigpic
    oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
      I think your underestimate how much value you a quality Lt has in the nfl. Some people say they are the second most important thing on the field. Definitely second on the offense. Thus teams will pay a premium for them. I wouldn't be surprised to see 7 ot off the board in this draft. It is very strong at ot yet some what top heavy
      Believe me, I never underestimate the value of a left tackle. I know how important they are. 30 years of being a die hard Broncos fan and someone who follows everything football, I, like all of you, know, what positions are the most critical for a team, QB and LT being the top two, followed by, pass rusher and CB. Last year, I was hoping they would have drafted Andre Dillard, because Bolles wasn't getting it done at the second most important position.

I also know, from watching the draft, that teams will make some questionable picks, and, that the draft is very unpredictable.

Yes, Ezra Cleveland is a first round talent and that he could very well, almost likely, go in the first round. But it's the draft. The only guarantee is, there are no guarantees. With the exception of sometimes the #1 pick, or the first couple picks, being a foregone conclusion. And, it's not like I had him fall to #46. I had us move up to get him.
      Last edited by sra84; 04-19-2020, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Believe me, I never underestimate the value of a left tackle. I know how important they are. 30 years of being a die hard Broncos fan and someone who follows everything football, I, like all of you, know, what positions are the most critical for a team, QB and LT being the top two, followed by, pass rusher and CB. Last year, I was hoping they would have drafted Andre Dillard, because Bolles wasn't getting it done at the second most important position.

I also know, from watching the draft, that teams will make some questionable picks, and, that the draft is very unpredictable.

Yes, Ezra Cleveland is a first round talent and that he could very well, almost likely, go in the first round. But it's the draft. The only guarantee is, there are no guarantees. With the exception of sometimes the #1 pick, or the first couple picks, being a foregone conclusion. And, it's not like I had him fall to #46. I had us move up to get him.
        My take, too. IMO Denver needs to add talent to the O-Line and the best way to do that is through the draft. Currently there are thirteen O-Linemen, but nine of them are UDFA/depth guys. For TC the Broncos will need at least two more, if they plan on 1st, 2nd, 3rd team O & D for preseason practice. I think they need to draft a T no later than the third round, a C/G next and another T in the seventh.
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I'll just say this, if it was me, I would go OT in the first round. If I couldn't get any of the top four OT, I'd be more than happy to take Josh Jones. I like the upside of Austin Jackson, but his floor is fairly low and that is a bit concerning. I would only take Jackson or Cleveland if I could trade down into the 20's.

I've been a believer in building the trenches. It's not flashy, but it's the smart way to go.

I just believe that WR is the target position in the first for Elway. But I do think he addresses the OL early too.

Comment

I'll just say this, if it was me, I would go OT in the first round. If I couldn't get any of the top four OT, I'd be more than happy to take Josh Jones. I like the upside of Austin Jackson, but his floor is fairly low and that is a bit concerning. I would only take Jackson or Cleveland if I could trade down into the 20's.

I've been a believer in building the trenches. It's not flashy, but it's the smart way to go.

I just believe that WR is the target position in the first for Elway. But I do think he addresses the OL early too.
            As much as the arguments rage on about which position is of greatest need, In reality there are so many ways to improve this team. Being adamant about any one is not needed. Compromise is.

I want one of the elite top 3 WRs but am beginning to think I am too cheap to trade up to get one. If one drops to #15 awesome, if not there are other ways.

Even if the Broncos were to not make a trade, a possible draft path of # OT at 15 and C/G at #46 is not horrible. Leaves 3 picks in the 3rd to go CB, WR, DT and the 4th to add another WR. Or ILB, S, CB as needed. There is talent available in those rounds. And most of those players are not expected to be day one starters but prospects to develop. The only positions I would expect to "start day one" out of those five picks would be WR or CB. But does the Broncos brain trust have those same expectations?

I have preferences, As I said I want one of Jeudy, Ruggs, Lamb. But if Elway calls other names I will be fine with the expected compromises. I'm going to assume it is the insight into the coaches minds/plans/priorities being revealed and different then my own opinions.

Comment

I just don't think our FO addresses OT early. I think they have more faith in Bolles than a lot of us.

This is a good breakdown of Bolles' play last season. I absolutely despise his holding penalties, but he's not a total liability and didn't get Lock killed in those 5 games (unlike Wilkinson).
              2020 Adopt-A-Bronco: #10 JERRY JEUDY
              Previous Adoptees: #25 CHRIS HARRIS, #38 QUINTON CARTER, #43 TJ WARD

Comment

Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
                I just don't think our FO addresses OT early. I think they have more faith in Bolles than a lot of us.

This is a good breakdown of Bolles' play last season. I absolutely despise his holding penalties, but he's not a total liability and didn't get Lock killed in those 5 games (unlike Wilkinson).
                There are two starting Tackles. Let's say you're right and Garrett continues to improve. What if James has a repeat of the 2019 season? Who steps up, if Denver doesn't draft a T in the first three rounds?
                "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                  There are two starting Tackles. Let's say you're right and Garrett continues to improve. What if James has a repeat of the 2019 season? Who steps up, if Denver doesn't draft a T in the first three rounds?
                  I’m all for a developmental OT in the 3rd round, but there’s so many variables in these hypothetical situations. Bolles may or may not improve. James may or may not be healthy. We may or may not move on from Bolles in 2021 when his rookie deal expires. James, being one of the highest paid RTs in the NFL, will get his chance at some point. Bolles is also the definitive starter for next season, IMO. It’s just not practical to draft an OT in the first two rounds solely as “insurance” for any of these situations— unless we are absolutely planning to make that OT a starter in the future.

The person “who steps up” would be a reserve player, which is why we sign/draft guys for depth in the first place. I just can’t see us drafting a depth OT early. 3rd round maybe (I love Peart). 4th or 5th round for sure (Bartch, Adeniji, Herron, Runyan). In terms of our own roster, the FO is apparently high on Wilkinson— despite his play. He seems to be a guy that can line up all over the OL and the 2nd round tender we placed on him shows his level of importance in our current personnel. He’s the incumbent “next man up” at the moment.

We have starting holes at CB2 and C, with a fantastic chance to upgrade at WR as well. We also need that 5th DB that Fangio uses quite often (the “Will Parks” essentially)— who can play nickel or line up in the box. All of these positions need to be more urgently addressed than OT, IMO. I understand the positional value of OT and how essential it is for a young QB like Lock. I just think we can hold off on it until 2021, when we have to make a decision on Bolles. And at least then, there’s another great OT draft class expected (Penei Sewell, Walker Little, Cole Van Lanen, Alex Leatherwood, etc.).
                  2020 Adopt-A-Bronco: #10 JERRY JEUDY
                  Previous Adoptees: #25 CHRIS HARRIS, #38 QUINTON CARTER, #43 TJ WARD

Comment

Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post

That's why I think Denver is going WR in the first round. I believe that they are more committed to Bolles than some believe. I feel they are giving him the benefit of the doubt under Munchak going into his second year as OL coach.

And, it looks like the talks of us moving up for Jeudy is gaining steam. Although, I'll believe it when I see it.

Comment

I understand that it is the draft that is being focused on but not all these “holes” in the roster will be filled only by the draft.

There will be additional free agents signed as we get closer to camps. IMO a OT and CB a priority. A couple million at each position could go a long way. Would not be surprised to see an aging pass rusher on a cheap one year to bolster depth behind Chubb and Miller.

For all we know there may already be “ understandings” between a couple players and Elway already in place and waiting for after the draft. Amukamura comes to mind.

Comment

Working...
                      X