DL Derek Wolfe
    IOL Connor McGovern
    QB Joe Flacco
    S Will Parks

TOP NEEDS: CB2, WR2, C
    SECONDARY NEEDS: NT, OT, S, LB, NCB

MOCK DRAFT

1 (15) – Jerry Jeudy, WR, Alabama

Thursday night plays out perfectly for John Elway and the Denver Broncos. JAX opts for CB C.J. Henderson, NYJ grabs OT Mekhi Becton, LV snags WR CeeDee Lamb, and SF falls in love with WR Henry Ruggs III. The odd man out? Jerry Jeudy (WR1 and #5 on my big board).

“With the 15th pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, the Denver Broncos select… Jerry Jeudy, wide receiver, Alabama.”

After endless months of debate and film study, Elway gets the guy he wanted the whole time. Jeudy, who turns 21 on draft night, is the most advanced route runner coming out of college that I have studied in recent memory. Jeudy is an absolute technician with elite short area quickness. As a 15 year-old, Jeudy sat on the floor of a minivan to accompany the likes of Calvin Ridley and other upperclassmen to attend summer football camps, where he snuck into the older groups and cooked his opponents with college coaches closely watching. His desire to be great is accompanied by his meticulous film study and preparation—telltale signs of being the next NFL great. Fellow first round prospect Henry Ruggs III mentioned that it was Jeudy who helped him refine his releases and breaks. Anecdotes aside, Denver’s offense gets a huge boost with the addition of Jeudy. A young QB like Drew Lock needs a reliable target who will get separation and be in the right place at the right time. With 159 receptions, 2,742 receiving yards, and 26 touchdowns in his career at Alabama, Jeudy can step in immediately as a high-volume receiver who can move the sticks. The 2018 Biletnikoff Award winner has the striding speed and exceptional agility to attack all 3 levels of the defense. New OC Pat Shurmur uses plenty of 3 WR, 1 TE sets and emphasizes verticality in his scheme. Great route runners such as Jeremy Maclin, Adam Thielen, and Odell Beckham Jr. have all flourished in Shurmur’s offense. Pro Bowl WR Courtland Sutton figures to command defensive attention as a deep threat, allowing Jeudy to wreak havoc underneath. With Sutton, Jeudy, and Noah Fant—Elway has given Lock the weapons to go toe-to-toe with Patrick Mahomes in the battle for the AFC West. Opposing defenses will have a hard time defending Judge Jeudy and Supreme Court. The only knocks on Jeudy is that he faced limited press and contested catch situations. On film, however, Jeudy often proved to be too quick for opposing corners to get their hands on him at the LOS—a testament to his insane releases. In terms of contested catch situations, Jeudy would find himself so wide open that there was no contest to begin with—however his 50.0% contested catch rate ranks above average for receivers in this class anyways. Whether Denver ends up staying put or trading up for Jeudy, Broncos Country is getting a transcendent, All-Pro talent at wide receiver.

TRADE:
    DEN receives 2.58, 3.89
    MIN receives 2.46, 5.179

2 (58) – Bryce Hall, CB, Virginia

Elway & Co. don’t like the board at #46 and trades back with Minnesota to the bottom of the 2nd round. With Denver looking for more talent at corner opposite of A.J. Bouye, they bolster their secondary with the selection of Bryce Hall. At 6’1”, 202 lbs., Hall is a lengthy, physical prototypical-Fangio cornerback— with great zone cover skills and stout tackling ability. What stands out on tape about Hall is his high football IQ and terrific eye discipline. As a former receiver, Hall has arguably the best ball skills out of any corner in this draft (led the country with 23 forced incompletions in 2018). He was a team captain at UVA and started in 39 games before a gruesome ankle injury ended his senior campaign early. Despite the medical concerns, Hall has been cleared by doctors for all football activities and will be ready for Training Camp. 2019 was a revolving door at CB2 for Denver, with De’Vante Bausby, Davontae Harris, and Isaac Yiadom all getting starts last season. The selection of Hall adds much needed playmaking and physicality at the other starting cornerback position.

3 (77) – Terrell Burgess, S, Utah

The best player available and one of my favorite prospects in this draft, falls in our lap at #77. Terrell Burgess is a versatile defensive back that can cover man-to-man in the slot and make plays deep as a rangy safety. Burgess is more Eddie Jackson than Will Parks in Fangio’s secondary. Just like fellow Ute prospect Jaylon Johnson, Burgess is a highly-cerebral player with excellent instincts and a relentless motor. He is a bit undersized for the position, but exhibits consistent tackling and takes effective angles. Denver’s struggles to cover tight ends and neutralize the likes of Travis Kelce has been frustrating. Burgess is a patient cover man that can cover TEs in the slot and up the seam. With Fangio’s tendency to utilize five DBs on the field, Burgess can step right in and make an impact. If Bryce Callahan cannot stay healthy, Burgess can play in the nickel. Kareem Jackson is 32 years-old and has two years left on a hefty contract, meaning that Burgess could become the safety of the future to pair with Justin Simmons and gives us flexibility to move on from KJax if necessary.

3 (83) – Matt Hennessy, C, Temple

After letting Connor McGovern walk to the New York Jets, Elway gives Hall of Fame OL coach Mike Munchak his first toy in this draft with third-team All-American center Matt Hennessy. A two-time team captain for the Temple Owls, Hennessy was awarded a single-digit practice jersey—famously given to the toughest players on the team (as voted on by the players themselves). He brings a hard-nosed style of play to the heart of the offensive line, while being one of the more sharp, polished IOL prospects. Hennessy has great body control and fluidity, making him a natural fit for a zone blocking scheme. He maintains good leverage and an anchored base, enabling him to hold his own in gap concepts as well. Hennessy was dominant in the run game with an 87.6 PFF run-block grade. What’s even more impressive is that in the last two seasons, he only allowed 3 pressures on 240 true pass sets. Hennessy slots in as a Day 1 starter at center next to the newly-signed veteran RG Graham Glasgow.

3 (89) – Matt Peart, OT, UConn

With the extra 3rd round pick netted in the MIN trade, Denver selects their developmental OT in Matt Peart. A two-time captain for UConn, Peart started all 48 games he played for the Huskies. At 6’7”, 318 lbs. with 36.6” arms—Peart is a physical specimen with light feet. Despite looking like a prototypical offensive tackle prospect, Peart is a raw project. He is a bit lean and needs a full season in an NFL weight room to improve his play strength. His hand technique leaves a lot to be desired and he could stand to improve his balance. Peart has experience playing both left and right tackle, and projects as a swing tackle early on in his career. There is no pressure for Peart to contribute right away as a starter, so he will get a prime opportunity to develop under Munchak’s tutelage as a rookie. With Garett Bolles’ contract expiring in 2021, we may be looking at the LT of the future with this first-team All-AAC selection.

3 (95) – Akeem Davis-Gaither, LB, Appalachian State

Elway gives Fangio more speed at linebacker with the selection of Akeem Davis-Gaither. Quite undersized at 6’1”, 224 lbs., Davis-Gaither lined up all over the field for Appalachian State. He rushed the passer, dropped back in coverage, and mirrored opposing RBs. Fangio loves to blitz his LBs, and Davis-Gaither possesses crazy short-area quickness to slice through the OL when he rushes the passer. Despite his size, he has a nose for the football, playing well downhill and showing the ability to stop the run (as evidenced by his 87.0 PFF run-defense grade). With that being said, he does struggle to take on blocks and disengage. Davis-Gaither projects as a rotational LB that can replace Todd Davis on passing downs. This pick also puts pressure on Josey Jewell to take the next step in his growth as a pro.

CONTINUED
    Last edited by HDbroncos02; 04-20-2020, 11:37 AM.
    2020 Adopt-A-Bronco: #10 JERRY JEUDY
    Previous Adoptees: #25 CHRIS HARRIS, #38 QUINTON CARTER, #43 TJ WARD

4 (118) – Davon Hamilton, DL, Ohio State

More beef is added to the interior with the 6’4”, 320 lb. run stuffer Davon Hamilton from Ohio State. Hamilton will help Fangio fulfill the Eddie Goldman role in the middle of the defensive line. Mike Purcell was a nice surprise at NT last season, but Hamilton can come in and compete for the starting nose tackle spot immediately. His powerful upper body and overall strength (33 bench press reps at the Combine) gives him the versatility to play at nose, 1T, and even 3T. Hamilton does not offer much as an interior pass rusher, but he has the potential to become one of the better run defenders in the league.

6 (182) – Hakeem Adeniji, OT, Kansas

This draft class continues to build in the trenches as Elway turns to KU prospect Hakeem Adeniji to provide depth at the tackle and guard positions. Adeniji played LT at Kansas, but projects to kick inside at the next level. He has all the athletic tools and physical power to develop into an eventual starter, but his footwork and technique is very sloppy. Adeniji figures to be another Munchak project with upside.

7 (253) – Parnell Motley, CB, Oklahoma

Fangio and DC Ed Donatell take a late round flier on the ultra-competitive OU cornerback Parnell Motley. He is a sleeper due to his subpar athletic testing, but he proved to hold his own against some of the best competition in the country. Motley impressed in the biggest moments, limiting the likes of Denzel Mims, Jalen Reagor, and Ja’Marr Chase last season. He’s a scrappy defensive back with above average ball skills, allowing only 43.4% of passes thrown his way to be caught. Motley will be thrown firmly into the competition for CB4 and CB5 with the aforementioned Bausby, Harris, and Yiadom.

7 (255) – Nick Coe, DL, Auburn

Nick Coe is the lesser known prospect on a star-studded Auburn defensive line that included Derrick Brown and Marlon Davidson. Coe will provide depth on the defensive line after the departure of Adam Gotsis. While Coe is not particularly gifted in any area, his 6’5”, 280 lb. frame gives DL coach Bill Kollar something to work with.

PROJECTED 2020 DEPTH CHART
    *new additions italicized

QB – Lock, Driskel, Rypien
    RB – Gordon, Lindsay, Freeman
    WR – Sutton, Jeudy, Hamilton, Patrick, Spencer, Winfree
    TE – Fant, Vannett, Heuerman, Beck
    OT – Bolles, James, Wilkinson, Peart
    OG – Risner, Glasgow, Schlottmann, Adeniji
    C – Hennessy, Morris

DE – Casey, Harris, Jones, Walker, Coe
    NT – Hamilton, Purcell
    EDGE – Miller, Chubb, Reed, Attaochu, Hollins
    LB – Johnson, Davis, Davis-Gaither, Jewell
    OCB – Bouye, Hall, Bausby, Yiadom, Motley, Harris
    NCB – Callahan, Burgess, Dawson
    FS – Simmons, Burgess
    SS – Jackson, Burgess, Marshall

K – McManus
    P – Martin
    LS – Farnsworth

Comment

Only seen two other mocks I like more, and I posted both of them Like the breakdown of which players went prior to #15.

Only spot I do not like is the trade down in round two. I think there is a chance for a trade up for a much better player. In your mind, what player went prior to #46 that a 4th rounder could have been used to go snag?

Great job!
      Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

Nice job! Would be thrilled with this draft. It seems you and I agree on needs and types of players. I may be biased.

I appreciate the flow of the draft. Obviously it starts with a lot of luck with Jeudy but oddly enough I have seen him (orRuggs) sneaking through to #15 on a few analysts mocks. Can only hope that is how it unfolds on Draft night.

Even the specific players you have chosen have reasonable alternatives in the ranges if they are taken. But the addressing of needs is solid and would set up the roster very nicely on both sides of the ball if those players turn out as they are projected.

Comment

I agree with everybody else. That'd be pretty good. If we got Jeudy at 15, it's already a win.

Comment

If Denver's draft turned out like this, I'd be very happy and optimistic.
            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by MHSalute View Post
              Only seen two other mocks I like more, and I posted both of them Like the breakdown of which players went prior to #15.

Only spot I do not like is the trade down in round two. I think there is a chance for a trade up for a much better player. In your mind, what player went prior to #46 that a 4th rounder could have been used to go snag?

Great job!
              Thank you! And I like the idea of trading up to the top of the 2nd round as well. I know we shouldn’t hone in on any one position, but I love the CBs in the late 1st to early 2nd range. I did a full two round mock and I had Cesar Ruiz falling to #35 to DET to play guard— if Munchak really likes him to play center for us, I could see a trade up there. I ended up having 7 CBs going in the 1st round and Damon Arnette and Noah Igbinoghene going right before #46. One guy I noticed that had been falling in a few simulations was Jeff Gladney, so I pulled the trigger to move up on a few occasions. I like Gladney and Jaylon Johnson a lot— so they would be my prospects to move up for. I ended up having Gladney going 1.25 to MIN and Johnson going 1.32 to KC.

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                Nice job! Would be thrilled with this draft. It seems you and I agree on needs and types of players. I may be biased.

I appreciate the flow of the draft. Obviously it starts with a lot of luck with Jeudy but oddly enough I have seen him (orRuggs) sneaking through to #15 on a few analysts mocks. Can only hope that is how it unfolds on Draft night.

Even the specific players you have chosen have reasonable alternatives in the ranges if they are taken. But the addressing of needs is solid and would set up the roster very nicely on both sides of the ball if those players turn out as they are projected.
                I appreciate it!

It’s going to be a frenzy come draft night. I would say JAX is a wild card to take WR, as well as NYJ. I ultimately don’t think Philly competes to trade up, especially with their holes elsewhere on the roster. I think they’re happy with Jefferson sliding to them at #21. Barring any trades, I’m pretty convinced that Lamb is the pick for LV. SF is tough to pinpoint, but I think Kyle Shanahan prefers Ruggs in terms of his athletic tools and overall skill-set. I had Derrick Brown falling in one mock and SF scooping him up as well. Who knows? We definitely would be lucky to have Jeudy fall to us.

Alternatives are plentiful in the 3rd round, especially. Ashtyn Davis, Logan Wilson, Amik Robertson, Nick Harris, Leki Fotu, and Ben Bartch are all names that I expect to fully be in play for us. Thursday cannot come any sooner!

Comment

Working...
                X