if simmons is still there at 7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    What he said. The safety Jabrill, not one day Hall of Famer Julius Peppers.
    Peppers was always gonna be a safety in this league and he has been developing well there. He played on at college cause college teams are smaller then pros but he doesnt have the size to survive at lb in the nfl. The smallest successful lber I can remember is Telvin Smith and he was still 217 vs peppers 205
    sigpic
    oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

Comment

We need to draft to beat the chiefs and unless we neutralize Kelce we aren’t going to beat them. Simmons can neutralize that threat and is worth our 1st, two 3rds and next years 2nd.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
        Peppers was always gonna be a safety in this league and he has been developing well there. He played on at college cause college teams are smaller then pros but he doesnt have the size to survive at lb in the nfl. The smallest successful lber I can remember is Telvin Smith and he was still 217 vs peppers 205
        You're arguing with the wrong person, I didn't make that comparison. I compare him to Kam Chancellor.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
          You're arguing with the wrong person, I didn't make that comparison. I compare him to Kam Chancellor.
          Telvin smith seems like a great comparison to me. he is for sure the ideal WLB in the 4-3. if you have a good enough line he could be special in a 3-4 but you need a Dline that would keep the O-line off him. i don't know but i have always envisioned him as a LB
          sigpic
          oakland raders gm
          latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Telvin smith seems like a great comparison to me. he is for sure the ideal WLB in the 4-3. if you have a good enough line he could be special in a 3-4 but you need a Dline that would keep the O-line off him. i don't know but i have always envisioned him as a LB
            I think Telvin Smith is a good comp but I like Thomas Davis better.

I think Simmons has a chance to have a long great career but I think it will be best if he is a WLB in a 4-3

Comment

Originally posted by Alaskajoe View Post
              I disagree. In our division alone, he at minimum negates the overwhelming advantage the other 3 teams have had against our "good enough" defense. The TE or RB mismatch in thr passing game. Instead of the other teams being able to matriculate down the field, picking up 1st down after 1st down, his presence alone will increase our 3 and outs, allowing us to have better field position and in doing so being placed in a better position to score. It will also help our pass rush as the other teams won't be able to be in 3rd and shorts, but instead be in those 3rd and longs to allow us to really use Von and Chubb. In essence, his selection helps all 3 phases of our team.
              This is a classic over reach statement. No one negates Kelce. He beats up pretty much everyone.

Watch the national championship game again and see what Thaddeus Moss did to Clemson. Look at what LSU did to that loaded D. How many 3 and outs did Simmons increase? Simmons presence did not negate the TE and RB. I know you can argue that is not how he was used in that game but it makes my point. Picking a ILB early will not negate that Chiefs offense any more than Simmons **** down LSU. He is not Superman.

You can argue LSU was just that good but what are the chiefs?

Simmons is a great young talent that should have a good long career but he is not the best prospect ever. He is probably Thomas Davis. He would improve a pretty good D a little bit and would improve our pass D in these situations for sure. Does that help us win more games? I am not so sure.

Our offense needs improvement. We need to sustain more drives. Better offense will do more to help our D than Simmons. Of course only my opinion.

Comment

I'm not nearly as high on Simmons as most, so in that situation I say trade up and take Jeudy.

Comment

IMHO, there’s risk with most picks. There are starting caliber WRs to get in 3-4 rounds in this draft class. The WR we get at 10 isn’t going to be that much better than one we can get in third round.... whereas the OT or ILB we can get in round 1 vs round 3 is a greater disparity.

And, WR is easiest thing to find. I’ll never forget Ashley Lelie over Ed Reed. Or, Cory Lattimore reach.

With that said.... if we feel there are guys we can get in rounds 2-3 to fill ILB and OT, that fit our system, and we can get Jeudy and we fell he’s all that...

Great. Lock will have his Harrison and Wayne. Normally I favor the LOS or front 7.... I can stomach missing on prospects for these spots early in the draft.

But, with as bad as DEN has been... we had 10th pick last year and 15th this year... TE and WR? That’s what DET Lions do.

My thing is... we don’t need a Keller stopper... we just need somebody that will slow a TE down some. I wasted 200 bucks and drove 6 hours last year to watch Kittles amass 200 yards in the first half.

Comment

I probably didn’t articulate clearly but the Peppers comp was more that people didn’t know what role Peppers would play coming out and his draft stock took a hit because of it. People really don’t know where they want Simmons to play yet but he’s still rated super high by the media. To me it’s clear that he’s a SS/nickel S probably 70-80% of the time while moonlighting at LB occasionally. Maybe in a 4-3 you can get away with him at WLB but I don’t think you want him having to stack and shed vs linemen very often so I doubt we will ever see him at ILB or SLB in a base defense. I just find it funny that S/LB tweeners often take a hit for their versatility while Simmons has remained unscathed by it at least in the media’s eyes.

Comment

Simmons may actually not fit well into this defense. He plays multiple positions, but not one at a future all-pro level. If we draft him, who is he replacing? Will Parks at S/slot CB, or Todd Davis as a LB/S? That being said, I believe he is the best player in the draft and the only one worth trading away 2nd and 3rd round picks for.
                      Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
                        Simmons may actually not fit well into this defense. He plays multiple positions, but not one at a future all-pro level. If we draft him, who is he replacing? Will Parks at S/slot CB, or Todd Davis as a LB/S? That being said, I believe he is the best player in the draft and the only one worth trading away 2nd and 3rd round picks for.
                        I kinda feel the same way. Is he the best ILB? I would go Queen. CB? No. SS? Maybe you could argue this. Much of his value comes from being able to eliminate offensive mismatches and/or replace someone injured. If we were to part with a 2nd for a 7th-10th move up, Derrick Brown makes more sense for this team. Harris, Walker, Purcell, and maybe even Casey may only be here for a year more. We need some stability, but don't have a lot of room on the depth chart for grooming guys.
                        Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

Originally posted by MHSalute View Post
                          I kinda feel the same way. Is he the best ILB? I would go Queen. CB? No. SS? Maybe you could argue this. Much of his value comes from being able to eliminate offensive mismatches and/or replace someone injured. If we were to part with a 2nd for a 7th-10th move up, Derrick Brown makes more sense for this team. Harris, Walker, Purcell, and maybe even Casey may only be here for a year more. We need some stability, but don't have a lot of room on the depth chart for grooming guys.
                          That's a great point. I can't remember a free agency where Elway signed more one year contracts and tenders than this last free agency. 2021 is going to be tough with a lot of players leaving again. DL only has Casey and Dremont Jones under contract after 2020, so it's still a need. I do believe the offense is going to be prioritized though since it's such a crucial year for Lock to develop, but I'd expect by an early 3rd round or our 46 pick to be DL player
                          Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

the contract issue can be said for a few positions though not just d line. jacksons 31 with 2 more years on his contract i believe.

we have been trying to replace davis as well who i believe is on a 1 year contract

i dont understand how simmons wouldnt do well in this defense because he can cover slot, he can play ss in/out of the box and he can play lb. id rather be versatile without have to do sub packages.

id rather go simmons, fotu, hall, muse
                            than say brown, logan wilson type move. id be okay with either but would prefer the former than the latter
                            Glen Haven Fire

Comment

I love Simmons the prospect. I cannot guarantee he would negate TE's in coverage but if someone could cut their production in half this year that would be huge. Unfortunately every team in the AFC west has excellent TE's.

On another note we are not just poor TE coverage away from a deep playoff run this year. I am not selling the farm to get to #3 overall to guarantee I get Simmons. We need a lot of help still and this draft could really help.

Comment

Working...
                              X