WR- Get one while you can!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WR- Get one while you can!

Looking at the needs of teams picking in the late 1st, I fear this deep WR class is going to empty out quicker than people think.

Good players will slide, but if WR is a position teams need to address- I don't think they will sit back and watch the rich get richer. I know many want to wait but I don't think it plays out the way it ordinarily would.

Ironically, there is a good chance many teams will need to "over draft" WR this year. There could be maybe 6+ WRs drafted in RD1. I know many think this is such a deep draft, but what happens when 4+ more go in Rd 2?
    Now do teams have to bump up their 4th/5th Rd grade to fill a position of need before it's too late?

To me -with the uncertainty of the pre draft process, the 2nd and 3rd Rds are where all the value picks are going to come. This is where top talent will slide this year because the pre draft process didn't give many a chance to introduce themselves. In some cases some never got a chance to give context to whatever issues have them red flagged. I would hate to have to "over draft" WR at that point more than any other.

So I say let's pick the one we want and not hope/reach later when the pickings are slimmer. Being frugal could cost us a lot.

Originally posted by atwaterandstir View Post
    Looking at the needs of teams picking in the late 1st, I fear this deep WR class is going to empty out quicker than people think.

Good players will slide, but if WR is a position teams need to address- I don't think they will sit back and watch the rich get richer. I know many want to wait but I don't think it plays out the way it ordinarily would.

Ironically, there is a good chance many teams will need to "over draft" WR this year. There could be maybe 6+ WRs drafted in RD1. I know many think this is such a deep draft, but what happens when 4+ more go in Rd 2?
    Now do teams have to bump up their 4th/5th Rd grade to fill a position of need before it's too late?

To me -with the uncertainty of the pre draft process, the 2nd and 3rd Rds are where all the value picks are going to come. This is where top talent will slide this year because the pre draft process didn't give many a chance to introduce themselves. In some cases some never got a chance to give context to whatever issues have them red flagged. I would hate to have to "over draft" WR at that point more than any other.

So I say let's pick the one we want and not hope/reach later when the pickings are slimmer. Being frugal could cost us a lot.
    It's a calculated risk. But I do not think that all the good receivers will be gone by our 2nd pick. If a rush, maybe we would trade up a little.

My preference is to not trade up to get one, with pick #1. That may happen, and I will be cool with it if it does, but I think it wrong to spend that much extra currency on a position that is so deep. It will depend on how we fulfill our other needs, and there are a few.

But truth is, because I would love to have one of the big 4 I'll call them - Lamb,Jeudy, Ruggs, Jefferson...I won't be too miserable if we end up with one. Just wish we could keep our daft capital intact and even consider moving up in 2 or 3, to really benefit with a BPA of need.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
      It's a calculated risk. But I do not think that all the good receivers will be gone by our 2nd pick. If a rush, maybe we would trade up a little.

My preference is to not trade up to get one, with pick #1. That may happen, and I will be cool with it if it does, but I think it wrong to spend that much extra currency on a position that is so deep. It will depend on how we fulfill our other needs, and there are a few.

But truth is, because I would love to have one of the big 4 I'll call them - Lamb,Jeudy, Ruggs, Jefferson...I won't be too miserable if we end up with one. Just wish we could keep our daft capital intact and even consider moving up in 2 or 3, to really benefit with a BPA of need.
      I don't want to trade up for one either....Jeudy would be the exception for me. I personally believe we could trade back slightly and still get Jefferson who I feel is as good a fit as any of them.

Comment

Jefferson keeps being linked to Philly, but with the way that offense utilizes two TEs his middle of the field skills may be diminished with a lack of looks. I think he could fall past Philly at 21.
        It's this range of picks 25- 60 that I think the WRs will be gobbled up....not leaving much for the 3rd and beyond.

Comment

Jefferson keeps being linked to Philly, but with the way that offense utilizes two TEs his middle of the field skills may be diminished with a lack of looks. I think he could fall past Philly at 21.
          It's this range of picks 25- 60 that I think the WRs will be gobbled up....not leaving much for the 3rd and beyond.
          I disagree. VAN Jefferson and KJ Hill are both slot guys who I think are very undervalued. Both runs as good of routes as Juedy imo (Jefferson may actually be faster too). Tyler Johnson is another guy. Justin Jefferson may be no better than these guys honestly.
          Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

I don't want to trade up for one either....Jeudy would be the exception for me. I personally believe we could trade back slightly and still get Jefferson who I feel is as good a fit as any of them.
            YES....re: the Jefferson maneuver!:thumb:

If we could get him, plus maybe another 3rd, that would be a heist!

Comment

Originally posted by MHSalute View Post
              I disagree. VAN Jefferson and KJ Hill are both slot guys who I think are very undervalued. Both runs as good of routes as Juedy imo (Jefferson may actually be faster too). Tyler Johnson is another guy. Justin Jefferson may be no better than these guys honestly.
              Tyler Johnson is one my favorites. He is a perfect example of why WRs are going to be gone quick. There seems to be top 10ish list and guys like Hill, Pittman and Johnson often don't make. These three guys are as good as anyone and NFL teams know it. There just so happens to be a ton of really really good WRs and teams are going to WANT -not wait- for these guys. This isn't your typical drop off between prospect 1-12. Teams are going to want to add one of these guys

If anyone has watched what Michael Pittman has grown into and include his size, speed, and production and add wonderlic, top drop rate and NFL pedigree and think this (often time) 10+ rated WR will still be there a bit later are not realistic imo. Same goes for Johnson at Minn and Shenault at Colorado.

As for KJ Hill, this guy has the potential to be one of the top slot WRs in the league. Your absolutely right, it's splitting hairs between him and Jeudy in some aspects.

There is going to be a lot of WRs going in the first 2 rds. These guys are that good. And I love the fact that we are sitting pretty in Rd 3 for all the talent at other positions that have slid.
              Last edited by atwaterandstir; 04-24-2020, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Gronk heading to TB means already potent offenses like N.O., SF and GB who were already looking to add fire power may be even more likely to start a run on WRs early. It's going to be a rough road through the NFC.

Comment

Working...
                X