X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beastlyskronk
    replied
    Originally posted by listopencil View Post
    There was a bit of press coverage in the highlight videos. They were highlight videos, though, so they were showing him beating it. As I recall the guys doing the videos mentioned that pressing him is a big gamble. Also that it's hard to pull off against a slot guy anyway, as these highlights were of him in the slot. From what I saw he beats the press right off the line because he's so quick it's deceiving.
    Absolutely, it’s extremely hard to press a slot WR as they have a 2 way go, it’s why nickel CB is one of the hardest positions to play on defense. And yes pressing him is a gamble because he can get you turned around very quickly and is great after the catch.

But as it stands now, he needs to show more urgency in getting into his route. There’s too much dancing which throws off the timing which is all you want out of press coverage. It wasn’t a coincidence that he lined up in the slot the majority of the time, it’s because it’s so much harder to press in the slot when the WR is lined up off the LoS.

This isn’t to say he can’t beat press or he won’t be a great player. But it’s an area that he needs to work on to be a complete WR as well as his hands. The route running is top notch but he’s no where near a finished product and he will need to be coached up to reach his ceiling.

Leave a comment:

• beastlyskronk
    replied
    Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    Lsu ran alot of press. I feel there are other teams in the sec specifically that ran press
    LSU played up near the LoS on him 9 times all game. 3 were running plays and 1 was a CB blitz. The other 5 were more of a catch technique rather than a true press and even then LSU was content to let him dance in place as he wasn’t targeted on any of those passes and quite frankly only got off the line once because LSU was getting so much pressure.

Leave a comment:

• listopencil
    replied
    Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Who was pressing him?
    There was a bit of press coverage in the highlight videos. They were highlight videos, though, so they were showing him beating it. As I recall the guys doing the videos mentioned that pressing him is a big gamble. Also that it's hard to pull off against a slot guy anyway, as these highlights were of him in the slot. From what I saw he beats the press right off the line because he's so quick it's deceiving.

Leave a comment:

• Kyousukeneko
    replied
    Who was pressing him?
    Lsu ran alot of press. I feel there are other teams in the sec specifically that ran press

Leave a comment:

• FR Tim
    replied
    Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    They all compliment each other very well, and I also really like what Tim Patrick brings to the table as well. Sutton is really emerging, if one of the others can as well, we are extremely dynamic. Add in the potential of the TEs, we could be in the upper tier of offenses.
    I thought both Patrick and Hamilton did a solid job last year. But I also prefer them in their current expected roles as backups instead of starters.

Having either come in for a couple series or even a couple games if one off the big three get injured should not create too much of a drop off. Still talented enough and capable enough to make plays.

WR depth is a nice luxury to have. It is a tough league.

Leave a comment:

• beastlyskronk
    replied
    Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    I am gonna have to disagree with you here jeudy had never had issues for press. He is so smooth off the line it is hard for cbs to get there hands on him. I expect simular things in the nfl
    Who was pressing him?

Leave a comment:

• the0rangecrush
    replied
    Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
    I’m excited about all three of the starting WRs as a group. All are dynamic in their own way. All can have a game changing impact if given the chance.

If Lock can build some chemistry with these guys this can be a very entertaining offense. Has the potential to be some high level chess games as defenses try to confuse and cover the trio every play.

Somebody is getting open and it will be up to Lock to find him. And we can’t forget the TEs and RBs as options. Broncos upgraded offense has the potential to give DCs nightmares. I love it!
    They all compliment each other very well, and I also really like what Tim Patrick brings to the table as well. Sutton is really emerging, if one of the others can as well, we are extremely dynamic. Add in the potential of the TEs, we could be in the upper tier of offenses.

Leave a comment:

• FR Tim
    replied
    Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    This kid’s highlights are electric, but Jeudy is who I’m really excited about. I watched some highlights the other day, and man that dude is a beast. I understand it’s just highlights, but still.....he’s an ankle breaker.
    I’m excited about all three of the starting WRs as a group. All are dynamic in their own way. All can have a game changing impact if given the chance.

If Lock can build some chemistry with these guys this can be a very entertaining offense. Has the potential to be some high level chess games as defenses try to confuse and cover the trio every play.

Somebody is getting open and it will be up to Lock to find him. And we can’t forget the TEs and RBs as options. Broncos upgraded offense has the potential to give DCs nightmares. I love it!

Leave a comment:

• Al Wilson 4 Mayor
    replied
    This kid’s highlights are electric, but Jeudy is who I’m really excited about. I watched some highlights the other day, and man that dude is a beast. I understand it’s just highlights, but still.....he’s an ankle breaker.

Leave a comment:

• Kyousukeneko
    replied
    Absolutely agree, with his speed and Lock’s big arm it will forces defenses to defend us much differently. And even though Hamler and Jeudy will probably struggle against press, Lock has the ability to buy time for them so teams will also have to factor that into the equation when weighing the pros and cons. I expect defenses to blitz early and often to try and neutralize them, trying to prey on Lock’s inexperience, their ability to get off press, and likely having a rookie C who may have to make line calls while attempting to force us into keeping extra blockers. It’ll be risky but likely better than allowing Lock time to analyze the field.

As far as the sweep having success with Hamler, probably not because they didn’t block the DE at all, which to be honest highlighted Scangerello’s inexperience as an OC. You can’t expect that play to have success if you’re essentially blocking it like a bootleg because Fant’s path is straight to the unblocked DE. If it was a zone split then there would’ve been a massive cutback lane. An end around would have been successful too. Although and I don’t remember but if there was a TE on that side he should’ve been responsible for down blocking on the DE to seal the edge.
    I am gonna have to disagree with you here jeudy had never had issues for press. He is so smooth off the line it is hard for cbs to get there hands on him. I expect simular things in the nfl

Leave a comment:

• listopencil
    replied
    Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
    1. Patrick, Sutton, Gordon, Fant and O (no way I spell that last name right).

Then you can mix that up.

2. Patrick, Sutton, Gordon/ Lindsay, Beck and Fant/ O.
    I was just thinking about 2WR/2TE/1RB sets a bit ago. I like option one as a 'big' red zone package. For 'speed' red zone I would think Sutton/Jeudy/Hamler/Fant/Lindsay. Fun to think about. I hope the new OC can pull this off and I hope Lock can make the right reads.

Leave a comment:

• FR Tim
    replied
    Absolutely agree, with his speed and Lock’s big arm it will forces defenses to defend us much differently. And even though Hamler and Jeudy will probably struggle against press, Lock has the ability to buy time for them so teams will also have to factor that into the equation when weighing the pros and cons. I expect defenses to blitz early and often to try and neutralize them, trying to prey on Lock’s inexperience, their ability to get off press, and likely having a rookie C who may have to make line calls while attempting to force us into keeping extra blockers. It’ll be risky but likely better than allowing Lock time to analyze the field.

As far as the sweep having success with Hamler, probably not because they didn’t block the DE at all, which to be honest highlighted Scangerello’s inexperience as an OC. You can’t expect that play to have success if you’re essentially blocking it like a bootleg because Fant’s path is straight to the unblocked DE. If it was a zone split then there would’ve been a massive cutback lane. An end around would have been successful too. Although and I don’t remember but if there was a TE on that side he should’ve been responsible for down blocking on the DE to seal the edge.
    Fair enough Unblocked DEs starts a whole different conversation. Lol. My point is the play in general. Which player has the speed and elusiveness to break a play like that? Once they break contain (if they do!) who do you prefer rounding that corner?

The inexperienced WRs, QB and line will get beat. The WRs will struggle at times. But not every receiver, every play. IMO the increase in dynamic players we expect to be on the field is capable of exploiting the defenses much more then in recent years. And a QB capable of getting the ball to them in stride.

Leave a comment:

• beastlyskronk
    replied
    Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
    The main difference that adding Hamler brings is YAC and Big Play Possibilities. Defenses have to respect the speed. It changes how they can and will defend the Broncos.

And not just Hamler but Jeudy, Fant, and when the time comes Albert O are all tough matchups. Because every one of them has the ability to rip a seam for a huge gain.

Defenses forced into certain coverages will open up running lanes and dump off opportunities for Gordon and Lindsey for big chunks too. Just a guess but I’m thinking the days of leading the league in 3and outs is over!

Shurmur has to create the offensive space with formations and play calls and Lock has to make the decisions and throws on the field. But I’m liking the potential.

Speed and play abilities has to be respected. Broncos gained some respect. Final thought, think back to opening play last year. Now imagine Hamler running the sweep instead of Fant. Better chance of success?

Leave a comment:

• FR Tim
    replied
    The main difference that adding Hamler brings is YAC and Big Play Possibilities. Defenses have to respect the speed. It changes how they can and will defend the Broncos.

And not just Hamler but Jeudy, Fant, and when the time comes Albert O are all tough matchups. Because every one of them has the ability to rip a seam for a huge gain.

Defenses forced into certain coverages will open up running lanes and dump off opportunities for Gordon and Lindsey for big chunks too. Just a guess but I’m thinking the days of leading the league in 3and outs is over!

Shurmur has to create the offensive space with formations and play calls and Lock has to make the decisions and throws on the field. But I’m liking the potential.

Speed and play abilities has to be respected. Broncos gained some respect. Final thought, think back to opening play last year. Now imagine Hamler running the sweep instead of Fant. Better chance of success?

Leave a comment:

• Kyousukeneko
    replied
    Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
    A few things which Hamler will need to learn. He will not always be the fastest guy on the field. So some of those routes he will need to learn to polish more and better at the NFL level. Look at what Jeudy does right near the top of his routes. He will do things which fool a DB into reacting a certain way and it allows that technically sound and regular separation. Now Hamler is MUCH faster and can move at full speed and change direction. So so e of his tools to accomplish the same misdirection may look similar to those of T.Hill of the Chiefs. Either way if he can polish his game we might have a really special player.

With that in mind we need not forget Patrick is huge. Imagine an OC who actually mixes up RZ options with big sets and speed sets...

1. Patrick, Sutton, Gordon, Fant and O (no way I spell that last name right).

Then you can mix that up.

2. Patrick, Sutton, Gordon/ Lindsay, Beck and Fant/ O.
    I don't think there are many defender that can hit 23 mph or a run a 4.25 forty.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X