Penei Sewell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penei Sewell

What do we have to do to get a top 5 pick? I don't think we'll lose more than 10 games, and that's if things go completely awry. I expect to be picking in the 20s, far out of range for Sewell, but damn would he be great in orange.

The 2021 draft is already being heralded for its huge depth and wealth of OT prospects, and Sewell is the clear man at the top. It's unrealistic to get him, IMO, but what do you think it would take to position ourselves?

Furthermore, who do you like of the early projected 1st round tackles? Mayfield, Little, Leatherwood, Cosmi, Mays, and Smith?

Alternatively, and this is subject to change as the season progresses, what other positions do you see as a first round target? CB, S, ILB, EDGE, and DL are my bets. Really, if Bolles comes around, I think defense is the target in 2021.
    Last edited by Papa-pwn; 05-07-2020, 07:13 AM.

There's the key....Bolles.

If he turns it around then its got to be Corner or edge right, at least based on Elways philosophy? Luckily both those positions are fairly deep next year.

If Bolles well....is Bolles, then yea we will be to far back for Sewell. Damn that man is a beast.
    But for a consolation price, I'm more than ok with Leatherwood or Cosmi at this moment. Those 2 would have been have been bunched with or gone before the big 4 tackles from this year.
    I need more Oline, please and thank you

Comment

now....is sewell the generational OT ala Orlando Pace he is being made out to be? If so and say Bolles craps the bed. Odds are we are no better than last year. Would you give multiple 1st and 2nds to go get him? Say 2x 1st and 3x 2nds? You probably have to, to get to pick 3...maybe 4 if another qb joins the top 2.

Comment

Obviously the OT question will continue to be the biggest question mark. Not just if Bolles, James and Wilkinson can be sufficient but the complete mystery of a plan next year.

IMO the message has been sent and Bolles is gone in free agency next season. No matter how well he plays or if he continues to struggle. Either way he is gone.

As mentioned, the Broncos are set up to have a good season. Hopefully in the 20s. Hopefully a quality OT that can start the next season is available in that range if the OT class is as deep as being discussed.

Perhaps they move up a bit but doubt they can get into the top 10 or 5 picks to get the top OTs. Read that next years draft capital will be even less because the Broncos are unlikely to get any compensatory picks. And I’m not seeing any vets like Sanders remaining to trade away for any high picks either.

Going to be interesting to see how Elway deals with this OT issue. As of today he has a couple question marks. By the end of the season he very may have 2-3 roster spots to fill at OT. He must have one hell of a plan because all I see is him painting himself deeper into a corner. Very likely I’m wrong but it is concerning as I look at it today.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaskajoe View Post
          now....is sewell the generational OT ala Orlando Pace he is being made out to be? If so and say Bolles craps the bed. Odds are we are no better than last year. Would you give multiple 1st and 2nds to go get him? Say 2x 1st and 3x 2nds? You probably have to, to get to pick 3...maybe 4 if another qb joins the top 2.
          Sadly I think we may have to look at a different one. Luckily for us 3 qb should go top 5 this draft. In trey lance trevor Lawrence and justin fields
          sigpic
          oakland raders gm
          latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
            Obviously the OT question will continue to be the biggest question mark. Not just if Bolles, James and Wilkinson can be sufficient but the complete mystery of a plan next year.

IMO the message has been sent and Bolles is gone in free agency next season. No matter how well he plays or if he continues to struggle. Either way he is gone.

As mentioned, the Broncos are set up to have a good season. Hopefully in the 20s. Hopefully a quality OT that can start the next season is available in that range if the OT class is as deep as being discussed.

Perhaps they move up a bit but doubt they can get into the top 10 or 5 picks to get the top OTs. Read that next years draft capital will be even less because the Broncos are unlikely to get any compensatory picks. And I’m not seeing any vets like Sanders remaining to trade away for any high picks either.

Going to be interesting to see how Elway deals with this OT issue. As of today he has a couple question marks. By the end of the season he very may have 2-3 roster spots to fill at OT. He must have one hell of a plan because all I see is him painting himself deeper into a corner. Very likely I’m wrong but it is concerning as I look at it today.
            Why do you believe the message has been sent? I'm of the opinion its still up in the air. If Bolles finishes as a top 15-20 tackle i could see Elway keeping him and prioritizing a pass rusher with vons contract and age concerns. Or DB given the unknown regarding that position. Both of those positions are deeper next year than this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
              What do we have to do to get a top 5 pick? I don't think we'll lose more than 10 games, and that's if things go completely awry. I expect to be picking in the 20s, far out of range for Sewell, but damn would he be great in orange.

The 2021 draft is already being heralded for its huge depth and wealth of OT prospects, and Sewell is the clear man at the top. It's unrealistic to get him, IMO, but what do you think it would take to position ourselves?

Furthermore, who do you like of the early projected 1st round tackles? Mayfield, Little, Leatherwood, Cosmi, Mays, and Smith?

Alternatively, and this is subject to change as the season progresses, what other positions do you see as a first round target? CB, S, ILB, EDGE, and DL are my bets. Really, if Bolles comes around, I think defense is the target in 2021.
              Unless something unfortunate happens ... or maybe even multiple unfortunate things....we probably have picked in the top 10 for the last time in a while is how I see it. The best case scenario I could see if we somehow manage to develop more elite talent than we can pay and we could leverage that into a top draft pick but that is a long shot.

If we want an elite OT we need to either trade for one that another team does not want to pay or for find a gem outside of the top end of the first round imo.
              Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Leatherwood and cosmi should be in that 8-15 range based on other positions and draft needs for teams. That should be getable from our (orange colored glasses) assumed draft position of 20-24.

Comment

Leatherwood and cosmi should be in that 8-15 range based on other positions and draft needs for teams. That should be getable from our (orange colored glasses) assumed draft position of 20-24.
                  Maybe Walker Little, too.
                  "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Why do you believe the message has been sent? I'm of the opinion its still up in the air. If Bolles finishes as a top 15-20 tackle i could see Elway keeping him and prioritizing a pass rusher with vons contract and age concerns. Or DB given the unknown regarding that position. Both of those positions are deeper next year than this year.
                    Just the impression I get from Elways negotiation style with free agents. He tends to alienate at least one every year. This year it looks to be Bolles.

I agree with your suggestion that Bolles ends up having a good season. But I think he signs elsewhere in free agency. His market value will be more then Elway and many fans will expect to pay him. And from Bolles point of view, will he want to stay? Why?

If Bolles continues to have the same struggles it won’t matter much anyways.

Bottom line, I think he is gone after this season. Hope I’m off and Bolles plays well, signs a fair deal and James suddenly becomes an Ironman at RT. Then picks and cap can be used on LB, DB, and pass rusher needs.

Comment

We will (hopefully) be in no position to pick Penei Sewell. If we are picking in the Top 5 next year, I’m afraid that would mean us looking at Trevor Lawrence/Justin Fields/Trey Lance rather than a franchise OT.

I am not sure if the top-end 2021 talent will be as good as this year’s OT crop, but there are plenty of good ones after Sewell. Alex Leatherwood, Samuel Cosmi, Walker Little, and Jalen Mayfield are top tackles to keep an eye on for sure.
                      2020 Adopt-A-Bronco: #10 JERRY JEUDY
                      Previous Adoptees: #25 CHRIS HARRIS, #38 QUINTON CARTER, #43 TJ WARD

Comment

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
                        If no one truly emerges as a consistent CB2 out of Bausby, Ojemudia, Yiadom, or Harris, I suspect CB would be an early priority.

All of those positions could become needs as we have potential cuts in high-priced vets in KJax and Casey, with Todd Davis and Shelby Harris set to become free agents in 2021. I suspect defense is going to be a large focus next offseason as Fangio continues to build his defense with prototypical players that fit his desired personnel.
                        2020 Adopt-A-Bronco: #10 JERRY JEUDY
                        Previous Adoptees: #25 CHRIS HARRIS, #38 QUINTON CARTER, #43 TJ WARD

Comment

Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
                          If no one truly emerges as a consistent CB2 out of Bausby, Ojemudia, Yiadom, or Harris, I suspect CB would be an early priority.

All of those positions could become needs as we have potential cuts in high-priced vets in KJax and Casey, with Todd Davis and Shelby Harris set to become free agents in 2021. I suspect defense is going to be a large focus next offseason as Fangio continues to build his defense with prototypical players that fit his desired personnel.
                          I hope Ojemudia gets more then a year to develop otherwise I agree. Even if we take an cb early I would still like to see Ojemudia in the competition for the 2 cb. I would for sure like to see 2 cbs drafted in general. Load up on oline and db depth we have ab elite roster. Maybe s dline high.
                          sigpic
                          oakland raders gm
                          latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Bolles is gone regardless in my eyes, Even if he kills it this season, some other team will grab him in FA and he'll be salty im sure so dont expect him to give Denver first dibs either. I think Elway skipped OT this year in hopes that not optioning Bolles will get him going for one year then get his replacement in 2021...at least i hope thats his plan.
                            sigpic
                            BCMB Div I - AB's Etsy Shop | BCMB FF Smackdown - Cold Feet

Comment

I don’t think Bolles will be upset about the option not being exercised at all. Elway has shown him an incredible amount of loyalty for someone who has struggled the way he has. He’s brought in numerous oline coaches specifically for him. He’d have been benched a long time ago elsewhere. I think that’s something Bolles would appreciate and if he does ball out, we have the franchise tag in our back pocket which would pay him better than the option anyway.
                              Last edited by beastlyskronk; 05-08-2020, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X