Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broncos in contact with Jason Peter's???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos in contact with Jason Peter's???

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/...t-jason-peters

Niki Jhabvala says Broncos have talked with Peter's agent but are going to keep their eye on Wilkinson and Bolles competition in camp before making any changes
    sigpic

IMO Peters doesn’t make a lot of sense. Expensive short term answer to a problem the Broncos front office doesn’t seem all too concerned about.

Most indications have been that he re- joins the Eagles. He is just testing the waters and trying to drive up his contract.

Just get the impression that any OT addition is going to be a swing depth type, not a starter like Peters.

Personally would thrilled to see some kind of upgrade but I think Elway is going to wait as long as possible before making a move. Waiting to see who gets cut and who can be signed at a bargain. With all the OTs and oline taken in the first few rounds I would not be surprised to see some dominoes falling type cuts and some decent depth lineman hit the market before camps start.

Comment

I would take Peters on a 2y deal, with the intention of adding his replacement in next year's draft. However, I think Beachum is more likely if we go that route.
      What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
      I don't know and I don't care

Comment

While we have 17 mil in cap space we will need some money for draft picks.

There is a chance we will see more injuries this year as it has been harder for players to stay in playing shape. May want to keep some money set aside for possible injury replacements least until 2nd to last preseason game has been played.
        Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

That $17m available cap is misleading at this point. Not saying intentional but still misleading. I keep seeing it mentioned. Just this morning in a national piece suggesting the Broncos should sign Peters the author used that number.

As stated by others, that number does not include the rookie contracts( $10M) and any kind of reserve needed “just in case”.

Broncos can move Heuerman and save almost $4m. Maybe some creative bookkeeping can free up a few million more in cap. But what is realistic? Having $12-14m cap? What is the reserve number?

Once you break down the numbers there really isn’t a lot of cap left for marquee players and their contracts. Elway needs to fill several spots with team friendly deals using low first year cap hits. That a player and his agent have to agree is beneficial.

Elway and Co. have a tough job filling out the roster. Will be interesting to see how he does it and at what cost. I’m expecting more “hidden gem” signings (Covington?) instead of marquee signings like Peters. Even Beachum might be too expensive? We’ll see.

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
            That $17m available cap is misleading at this point. Not saying intentional but still misleading. I keep seeing it mentioned. Just this morning in a national piece suggesting the Broncos should sign Peters the author used that number.

As stated by others, that number does not include the rookie contracts( $10M) and any kind of reserve needed “just in case”.

Broncos can move Heuerman and save almost $4m. Maybe some creative bookkeeping can free up a few million more in cap. But what is realistic? Having $12-14m cap? What is the reserve number?

Once you break down the numbers there really isn’t a lot of cap left for marquee players and their contracts. Elway needs to fill several spots with team friendly deals using low first year cap hits. That a player and his agent have to agree is beneficial.

Elway and Co. have a tough job filling out the roster. Will be interesting to see how he does it and at what cost. I’m expecting more “hidden gem” signings (Covington?) instead of marquee signings like Peters. Even Beachum might be too expensive? We’ll see.
            The numbers I've typically seen have about $10m allocated for rookies and $5m allocated for reserve. Peters' last contract extension was 1 year at $6m. I can't imagine he'd get any more than that at age 38. So, I think the Broncos are close enough to where they could make a contract offer if they wanted.

Comment

Denver Broncos Cap Totals

Adjusted Salary Cap
              $213,959,450
              Active Contracts:
              $197,807,444
              Dead Cap:
              $15,985,984
              Draft Pool Cap:
              $9,980,665

2019 Rollover:
              $15,759,450
              Total (All):
              $213,793,428
              Total (Top 51):
              $196,258,429
              Est. Cap Space (All):
              $166,022
              Est. Cap Space (Top 51):
              $17,701,021

This is from Spotrac, it does include the draft pool cap. This makes things a little confusing though. What ultimately matters is the top 51 cap #'s. Of the 10 draft picks the last 6 probably won't make any difference in the cap because their salary is around the same as many players that will not be in the top 51 or make the team anyway. The remaining 4 players add up to ~5.7M so there is still ~12M of cap space available to play with.
              If they were to get Simmons signed to a long term deal rather than going with the franchise tag - which I think they will get done soon - they probably could add another 3-4M to cap space because typically the Broncos structure contracts so that the first year of the contract is lower than the average per year.
              So potentially, there could be ~15+M in cap space available to play with.
              I am not for signing a 38yr old OT. I saw a headline that Peters is looking to play into his 40s, that tells me he wants more than a 1 year deal and probably with some GTD money; IMO, that is not a good situation for the Broncos. I think they wait and see who might come available after final cuts and see what is there but I think drafting a couple of OTs next draft is the way to go after trying to get a cheap OT in 2021 FA.
              :2cents:
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SecondsAway131 View Post
                The numbers I've typically seen have about $10m allocated for rookies and $5m allocated for reserve. Peters' last contract extension was 1 year at $6m. I can't imagine he'd get any more than that at age 38. So, I think the Broncos are close enough to where they could make a contract offer if they wanted.
                As I stated, it will be interesting to see. I want the Broncos to field as competitive a roster as possible. Adding Peters makes the team better this year. But even by your speculated cap numbers it basically puts all the eggs into one basket with Peters or any other free agent in that price range.

Creative booking keeping can only go so far. To provide cap space needed to sign a marquee player "and " fill other holes the Broncos would need to cut additional players or re-work bigger contracts like Miller, Jackson or James to create more cap. Or perhaps simply sign that one big contract and be comfortable with the rest of the roster as is.

Just checked, Peters was not $6M. His one year re-signing "with bonuses" totaled a cap hit of $8.6M for the year.

Another thought comes to mind. Bringing in Peters on a one year contact fixes an issue this year(if he can remain healthy) but exacerbates the Broncos OT issue next year even more. Unless they are open to Peters playing into his 40's as he recently stated. If not they have to replace 1,2, possibly 3 OTs in one off-season. Not a good problem to have. Interesting decisions coming up.

Comment

Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
                  Denver Broncos Cap Totals

Adjusted Salary Cap
                  $213,959,450
                  Active Contracts:
                  $197,807,444
                  Dead Cap:
                  $15,985,984
                  Draft Pool Cap:
                  $9,980,665

2019 Rollover:
                  $15,759,450
                  Total (All):
                  $213,793,428
                  Total (Top 51):
                  $196,258,429
                  Est. Cap Space (All):
                  $166,022
                  Est. Cap Space (Top 51):
                  $17,701,021

This is from Spotrac, it does include the draft pool cap. This makes things a little confusing though. What ultimately matters is the top 51 cap #'s. Of the 10 draft picks the last 6 probably won't make any difference in the cap because their salary is around the same as many players that will not be in the top 51 or make the team anyway. The remaining 4 players add up to ~5.7M so there is still ~12M of cap space available to play with.
                  If they were to get Simmons signed to a long term deal rather than going with the franchise tag - which I think they will get done soon - they probably could add another 3-4M to cap space because typically the Broncos structure contracts so that the first year of the contract is lower than the average per year.
                  So potentially, there could be ~15+M in cap space available to play with.
                  I am not for signing a 38yr old OT. I saw a headline that Peters is looking to play into his 40s, that tells me he wants more than a 1 year deal and probably with some GTD money; IMO, that is not a good situation for the Broncos. I think they wait and see who might come available after final cuts and see what is there but I think drafting a couple of OTs next draft is the way to go after trying to get a cheap OT in 2021 FA.
                  :2cents:
                  I would be thrilled if they can use creative bookkeeping to allow for approx $15M in cap. And if they can use it wisely! As you mention a 38 yr old OT wanting a multi yr contract is risky.

JMO but I think he is wanting that from Philly not in free agency and they are apparently hesitant. Philly also has the "luxury" of having a few OTs in the developmental pipeline with Dillard and drafting a couple projects this draft.

IMO Broncos would be hard pressed to have that much cap. Hope I'm wrong. And you left out any reserve in your approx $15M estimate. But if they can and improve the team... so be it!

Comment

I believe Huerman leaving could save us $3.8 million and if Davis left it would save us $4.5 million. We can find money to sign a T if we want and hopefully that is the plan. IMO it should be a priority.
                    My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
                      I believe Huerman leaving could save us $3.8 million and if Davis left it would save us $4.5 million. We can find money to sign a T if we want and hopefully that is the plan. IMO it should be a priority.
                      Again you make so much sense to me. I have some smaller concerns about another position or even two, but I would really hope that we spend some money on another decent OT. Maybe we are not SB bound this year, but I believe we are playoff bound, which means the SB is part of the possibilities. One never knows what kind of momentum we may have, if we get into postseason play. So in that regard, why not look at this team from the lens of, "lets go for it in a financially responsible way!"

Comment

Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
                        I am already assuming that Heuerman is gone. Actually a bit surprised it hasn’t already happened. But I typically include that in my speculation.

But Davis? Who is the starting ILB then? The man is consistently on the field and is good for a 100+ tackles a season. Has his flaws but who fills that hole.

TE I get because of the depth. But ILB?

I would love to see the Broncos get creative with the cap and bring in a couple more impact players. Hope to see it .

Comment

I am already assuming that Heuerman is gone. Actually a bit surprised it hasn’t already happened. But I typically include that in my speculation.

But Davis? Who is the starting ILB then? The man is consistently on the field and is good for a 100+ tackles a season. Has his flaws but who fills that hole.

I would love to see the Broncos get creative with the cap and bring in a couple more impact players. Hope to see it .
                          I know right. Why are they playing with this young mans emotions like this. Free him, give him time to find a home!
                          "He's going to be the #1 receiver, and is going to be a star in this league for a long time" Todd Mcshay on Jerry Jeudy

Comment

Ehm...ehm.....

Maybe a guy who is identical ??? LOL

Jewell has the exact same measurements, speed etc. They are the same player, except Jewell is making peanuts. If Jewell took over it would be no different than Davis out there
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
                              Ehm...ehm.....

Maybe a guy who is identical ??? LOL

Jewell has the exact same measurements, speed etc. They are the same player, except Jewell is making peanuts. If Jewell took over it would be no different than Davis out there
                              Well I guess if you say they are “identical” .... so be it.

Comment

Working...
                              X