Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Denver Broncos Cap Space Headed Into The Season As Of 09/01/2020?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denver Broncos Cap Space Headed Into The Season As Of 09/01/2020?

I saw that we had a few recent signings, and I'm seeing a few names pop up as available or potentially available in Free Agency, and I haven't been paying attention to our cap space. I looked at Over The Cap just now and that site says we have $27,591,884 (holy crap!). So then I looked over on the Spotrac site and they say we have $25,969,960 (again, holy crap!). Does anyone know how accurate this is? I'm aware of some moves that the Broncos made and some COVID19 opt outs that gave us some room. But I had no idea that we had this much room, if true.

Originally posted by listopencil View Post
    I saw that we had a few recent signings, and I'm seeing a few names pop up as available or potentially available in Free Agency, and I haven't been paying attention to our cap space. I looked at Over The Cap just now and that site says we have $27,591,884 (holy crap!). So then I looked over on the Spotrac site and they say we have $25,969,960 (again, holy crap!). Does anyone know how accurate this is? I'm aware of some moves that the Broncos made and some COVID19 opt outs that gave us some room. But I had no idea that we had this much room, if true.
    We had roughly 10 ish after the draft and FA....When Juwann James opted out his salary did not count against the cap. So that freed up like another 15 mil. So id say it is relatively close to us having 25 or so.

Demar was 500k. The CFA tackle wont count against the cap. We have a lot, but we also need to roll a fair amount over to next year (unless they plan to cut James). In any event we are sitting pretty good with cap space. It is especially nice to not be paying 18+ mil for terrible QB play.
    So far:
    FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
    1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

They should bank as much as possible to carryover for next year, because next year will be a world of hurt for NFL teams. The NFL and PA have agreed to a 2021 cap of $175 million, which is down from over $200 million this year.

Looking around the league (using Over The Cap) the Eagles are projected to be $51 million over OTC's cap estimate...they're estimating the cap at $215 million (not going to happen) so the Eagles are likely sitting $91 million over the 2021 cap. The Saints are $37 million over the OTC cap projection, which means they'll be $77 million over the actual cap. The Chefs are sitting with $12 million under the OTC cap estimate, which puts them $28 million over the cap. And The Chefs have a lot of players who cost more being cut than on their roster, so their option for releases are limited.

The Chefs will be forced to make some tough cuts, and the Eagles and Saints are going to have to do full rebuilds. Those two teams just won't have the cap space not to.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
        They should bank as much as possible to carryover for next year, because next year will be a world of hurt for NFL teams. The NFL and PA have agreed to a 2021 cap of $175 million, which is down from over $200 million this year.

Looking around the league (using Over The Cap) the Eagles are projected to be $51 million over OTC's cap estimate...they're estimating the cap at $215 million (not going to happen) so the Eagles are likely sitting $91 million over the 2021 cap. The Saints are $37 million over the OTC cap projection, which means they'll be $77 million over the actual cap. The Chefs are sitting with $12 million under the OTC cap estimate, which puts them $28 million over the cap. And The Chefs have a lot of players who cost more being cut than on their roster, so their option for releases are limited.

The Chefs will be forced to make some tough cuts, and the Eagles and Saints are going to have to do full rebuilds. Those two teams just won't have the cap space not to.
        that makes a ton of sense. So really for us the best option is to cut bait with anyone who we can save $ with now and bank more for next season. Especially if we don't see them as being long-term options.

The other thing I don't understand is why the NFL is waiting for a TV deal. For 2020 and 2021 we will be sparse when it comes to filmed TV shows. The NFL has a legit opportunity here to get max dollars. Would a new deal not allow for a lighter hit. Especially if come 2021 we start with a vaccine and can get back to ppl in the stands?

Comment

Just curious if there has been any discussion of player salaries being adjusted to accommodate a lower overall cap?

For example, this year Miller’s contract is 12% of the team cap. Why not adjust his salary to 12% of the lowered team cap of $175M? Same for all players down the roster.

Negotiate an agreement so teams would not have to make those tough cuts. Players would not be left to take well below market value because no teams have money. Make it for one season due to the unique situation.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I understand that it would be prudent to roll over as much as possible to alleviate the upcoming lower cap season. But...that number also means that if there is anyone available out there that they really want then they can get him.

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
              Just curious if there has been any discussion of player salaries being adjusted to accommodate a lower overall cap?

For example, this year Miller’s contract is 12% of the team cap. Why not adjust his salary to 12% of the lowered team cap of $175M? Same for all players down the roster.

Negotiate an agreement so teams would not have to make those tough cuts. Players would not be left to take well below market value because no teams have money. Make it for one season due to the unique situation.
              There probably has been, the NFL isn’t going to let teams cut their top players like that. There will be something put in place to mitigate teams cap woes

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I understand that it would be prudent to roll over as much as possible to alleviate the upcoming lower cap season. But...that number also means that if there is anyone available out there that they really want then they can get him.
                Jadeveon Clowney on a 1 year deal lol

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                  Jadeveon Clowney on a 1 year deal lol
                  There probably will be a bunch of guys who would take a one year 'prove it' kind of deal just to get to play and put some tape out there to sell themselves for next year. If the cap takes a dive it's going to get really rough for fringe FA's.

Comment

I assumed the cap is why we did not sign Simmons as some people been talking about the cap for a while.

One of the big reasons players were holding out to play in 2020 was the cap in future years. The players wanted the reduced cap to be spread out over multiple years or else a lot of guys may be getting cut and finding it difficult to get re-signed as teams have no cap space.

Also guys who are free agents will have difficult times getting paid big bucks.

Players have been feasting on free agency since the 90s but the next few years that may have to settle for just 7 figure deals....the elite will still get 8 figure deals just not as big as we been seeing.
                    Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post

Great post.Also with the saints predicament and Drew Brees likely retirement,would love to get Sean Payton here to be HC for our young and exciting offense.

Comment

Even with the cap reducing next year, if we were to sign one-year rentals for 2020, I see it as a waste of time and valuable reps. We don't need to be taking away reps from young guys who could be growing in this season where our ceiling is what, 8-8 ? Play the youth, accept the losses, and hope for development and growth that will contribute to hopefully a prosperous future.

Comment

Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
                          Even with the cap reducing next year, if we were to sign one-year rentals for 2020, I see it as a waste of time and valuable reps. We don't need to be taking away reps from young guys who could be growing in this season where our ceiling is what, 8-8 ? Play the youth, accept the losses, and hope for development and growth that will contribute to hopefully a prosperous future.
                          A starter caliber Right Tackle would have solidified the line and allowed our young Offensive guys to grow and develop. Now we have Blake Bortles backing up Jeff Driskel because our line couldn't keep our starting QB off of IR. Show me all the ways that helps our young Offensive guys to grow and develop.

Comment

Working...
                          X