Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone thinking Trevor Lawrence?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    We won't finish last. If we do, we got way more than one problem.
    Agreed �� lol
    In my best Terrell Owen's voice...on Justin Fields. "That's my quarterback"

    Comment


    • #32
      Here's my issue with Lawrence, and I say this as someone who would absolutely take him first overall if Denver ends up with that pick.

      Are we sure that he's a truly special QB? Or is he a good QB on a team that's had more talent (often times way more so) than the opposition on probably 30 of his 32 college starts. It's a lot easier to be a great QB when the players around you are just better than the guys they're going against. In the NFL those mismatches don't exist on that scale.

      In 32 college starts he's only ever had to drive his team down the field to win the game once. That was in the semi-final last year v Ohio State. He has no real history of having to be clutch when it counts, so can he do it in the big leagues?

      I'm not anti-Lawrence in any way. But I just don't think it's a slam dunk that he'll be a great NFL QB like is being assumed.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Ear2dastreets View Post
        again....i been saying that from a while....i think he will be ok....but next like some who say he is the next Andrew luck.
        The next "Andrew Luck" type player is Sam Ehlinger from UT.
        sigpic

        Hooray, beer!

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
          The next "Andrew Luck" type player is Sam Ehlinger from UT.
          Oh man I really do like Sam Ehlinger

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
            The next "Andrew Luck" type player is Sam Ehlinger from UT.
            Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
            Oh man I really do like Sam Ehlinger
            Seems like Tom Herman decided he wasn't going to let QBs from high schools in Austin get away from the Longhorns, as has happened in the past.
            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
              Here's my issue with Lawrence, and I say this as someone who would absolutely take him first overall if Denver ends up with that pick.

              Are we sure that he's a truly special QB? Or is he a good QB on a team that's had more talent (often times way more so) than the opposition on probably 30 of his 32 college starts. It's a lot easier to be a great QB when the players around you are just better than the guys they're going against. In the NFL those mismatches don't exist on that scale.

              In 32 college starts he's only ever had to drive his team down the field to win the game once. That was in the semi-final last year v Ohio State. He has no real history of having to be clutch when it counts, so can he do it in the big leagues?

              I'm not anti-Lawrence in any way. But I just don't think it's a slam dunk that he'll be a great NFL QB like is being assumed.
              That’s a very good point. Does Clemson win because of him? Or is he merely boosted due to having such a superior environment and team around him? Perhaps, both to some degree.

              He’s had Etienne, Higgins, Ross, and a few OL that all have/will be drafted (unsure about Ross after his spinal condition). There’s no doubt the system at Clemson is tailored to Lawrence’s strengths. I will say this, though— he’s a proven winner. He destroyed an Alabama defense that was chock-full of NFL talent, as a true freshman in the Natty. Granted, he wasn’t great overall against arguably the best college football team in history in that 2019-2020 LSU team— but he still kept Clemson “in” that game for what it’s worth. Lawrence may not have completely earned the Manning/Luck level of generational QB prospect, but he’s 100% a quarterback that any OC can scheme their offense around.
              2020 Adopt-A-Bronco: #10 JERRY JEUDY
              Previous Adoptees: #25 CHRIS HARRIS, #38 QUINTON CARTER, #43 TJ WARD

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
                That’s a very good point. Does Clemson win because of him? Or is he merely boosted due to having such a superior environment and team around him? Perhaps, both to some degree.

                He’s had Etienne, Higgins, Ross, and a few OL that all have/will be drafted (unsure about Ross after his spinal condition). There’s no doubt the system at Clemson is tailored to Lawrence’s strengths. I will say this, though— he’s a proven winner. He destroyed an Alabama defense that was chock-full of NFL talent, as a true freshman in the Natty. Granted, he wasn’t great overall against arguably the best college football team in history in that 2019-2020 LSU team— but he still kept Clemson “in” that game for what it’s worth. Lawrence may not have completely earned the Manning/Luck level of generational QB prospect, but he’s 100% a quarterback that any OC can scheme their offense around.

                My biggest concern with him (and it's not really that big) is just that he's never really faced adversity. His teams have always won big. In his 32 starts I believe Clemson has been in somewhere around 4 that were decided by one score or less. In his first of those games (2018 v Texas A&M) they had a big lead and gave up a couple of scores in the 4th quarter to make it closer. In the second he was injured and his backup came on and helped them win. The third was against North Carolina last year and Carolina got it to 1 point right at the end of the game, but opted to go for 2 and try to win, the Clemson defense made the play. The final one was against Ohio State in the semi-final, and in that game he did lead his team to victory with a drive late in the game. It's a small gripe, but it is one.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                  My biggest concern with him (and it's not really that big) is just that he's never really faced adversity. His teams have always won big. In his 32 starts I believe Clemson has been in somewhere around 4 that were decided by one score or less. In his first of those games (2018 v Texas A&M) they had a big lead and gave up a couple of scores in the 4th quarter to make it closer. In the second he was injured and his backup came on and helped them win. The third was against North Carolina last year and Carolina got it to 1 point right at the end of the game, but opted to go for 2 and try to win, the Clemson defense made the play. The final one was against Ohio State in the semi-final, and in that game he did lead his team to victory with a drive late in the game. It's a small gripe, but it is one.
                  I completely agree. Last year really poked holes in his “invincibility” as a prospect, especially the North Carolina game and the CFB playoffs. That “it” factor to go win games and battle back from adversity was what made me so sure about his predecessor Deshaun Watson. I think the LSU game was the best situation to assess how Lawrence fares in adverse circumstances where the team is relying directly on him to come back and win the game. Otherwise, yeah, it’s hard to evaluate him when his teams have dominated virtually every game and those close games that did have dicey outcomes ultimately didn’t depend on him.
                  2020 Adopt-A-Bronco: #10 JERRY JEUDY
                  Previous Adoptees: #25 CHRIS HARRIS, #38 QUINTON CARTER, #43 TJ WARD

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Ok Here Is The Truth. When Was The Last Time A QB with a listed height of over 6’5 such as in TL’s Lanky Size of 6’6 ever been Great not just Good However Great Because That Is What Denver Needs From Their QB Position They Need A Great QB. 6’6 TL will be a Bust. If I was the GM of the DB I would draft O-LINE with Denver’s first Three Pics in the 2021 Draft. I honestly do not know about Drew Lock only because his 1st Two Games were Horrendous. Drew was not Accurate whatsoever and his play was only fitting in the mere fact that Denver was 0-2 So many questions no Answers except the mere fact that you can Book It TL will be a Bust.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      I don't think we will get #1 overall, but it's an interesting question. I think TL is very good, he has the tools, but the mental side is something none of us will get to know tbh. I personally think we will end up with Sewell or Parsons
                      What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
                      I don't know and I don't care

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
                        I don't think we will get #1 overall, but it's an interesting question. I think TL is very good, he has the tools, but the mental side is something none of us will get to know tbh. I personally think we will end up with Sewell or Parsons
                        Those would be my two choices, in that order if Denver isn't choosing first, which I don't think they will. If they're choosing 1st, they pretty much have to take Lawrence or Fields. If they're choosing first but Lock has come back and shown he can be the guy, you deal the first overall pick for a bunch of picks.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                          My biggest concern with him (and it's not really that big) is just that he's never really faced adversity. His teams have always won big. In his 32 starts I believe Clemson has been in somewhere around 4 that were decided by one score or less. In his first of those games (2018 v Texas A&M) they had a big lead and gave up a couple of scores in the 4th quarter to make it closer. In the second he was injured and his backup came on and helped them win. The third was against North Carolina last year and Carolina got it to 1 point right at the end of the game, but opted to go for 2 and try to win, the Clemson defense made the play. The final one was against Ohio State in the semi-final, and in that game he did lead his team to victory with a drive late in the game. It's a small gripe, but it is one.
                          the thing with Lawrence. is he has been doing this sense high school. he also broke Watson Georgia throwing record. i also know he did not have the Elite of the Elite at his high school. but i think he lost like 2 games in his whole career after starting from a freshman. so i feel he is special. i just like fields more. i feel like Fields is a Cam Newton who throws the ball better.
                          sigpic
                          oakland raders gm
                          latavis murray trade bait

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
                            the thing with Lawrence. is he has been doing this sense high school. he also broke Watson Georgia throwing record. i also know he did not have the Elite of the Elite at his high school. but i think he lost like 2 games in his whole career after starting from a freshman. so i feel he is special. i just like fields more. i feel like Fields is a Cam Newton who throws the ball better.
                            In no way am I saying he's not special. I just worry that he lacks that clutch gene, simply because he hasn't ever needed it.

                            But I think tonight shows us Denver won't get a chance to draft him or Fields. The Jets are just that bad. And several other teams are equally bad. I think Denver's floor will be 4 or 5 wins (I still think they can get up to 9 if they get some guys back sooner rather than later), and the top 4 or 5 picks will all be teams with 4 or fewer wins.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                              In no way am I saying he's not special. I just worry that he lacks that clutch gene, simply because he hasn't ever needed it.

                              But I think tonight shows us Denver won't get a chance to draft him or Fields. The Jets are just that bad. And several other teams are equally bad. I think Denver's floor will be 4 or 5 wins (I still think they can get up to 9 if they get some guys back sooner rather than later), and the top 4 or 5 picks will all be teams with 4 or fewer wins.
                              We nearly beat the jets. Things may improve when lock gets back but i think we have a huge range for our pick.
                              sigpic
                              oakland raders gm
                              latavis murray trade bait

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                                Seems like Tom Herman decided he wasn't going to let QBs from high schools in Austin get away from the Longhorns, as has happened in the past.
                                its literally children of the corn when it comes to producing football talent in that area. Herman would be wise to pipeline it
                                sigpic

                                Hooray, beer!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X