I think Justin Fields is better then Trevor Lawrence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CanDB View Post

I am not doubting your knowledge. I am simply presenting the case I have, given I have not watched these players much, but have read a load....and last night's game went to Fields. I did state earlier that the game solidified his position as one of the top 2 QBs in the draft, though I guess we should await his final game. It may actually enhance his chances at #1. But I was really impressed with his arm strength, and I loved that one TD pass to his TE (forget the name), where he basically threaded the needle to get it to him in the end zone. He has a lot of tools in his toolbox.

To be fair, Lawrence was off a bit, though I think was lucky in the latter part of the game when he should have been picked and could have lost another fumble, but he was getting pressured by Ohio. His resume is pretty darn solid. But it probably hurts, knowing he came out second best last night.

The Jets are in a similar type situation as us. What to do at QB? Darnold however was the much higher selection, so their decision is even tougher. It seems a given that Lawrence goes first to The Jags, but they will be investing a load of time assessing Fields and possibly Wilson, though Wilson would be an overspend. And even at that, they have to love Fields because this draft pick is pretty serious stuff. As you say...they have holes.

They might consider trading back and then selecting someone like Wilson. I have no doubt that QB stock is rising, as it always does. But Lawrence and Fields are gaining even more attention in my opinion, and there are at least a handful of teams who are looking very closely at the QB draft. Maybe several more. So the stock of the top 5 or so QBs is going to be overvalued once again, though the top 2 are certainly making a good case for their potential as franchise QBs.

So I can see The Jets trading back, and getting some really nice capital in return.....which they can use to acquire a QB or otherwise. Depending on who trades with them, they may end up with a Wilson, and the ability to move up or add a 2nd or 3rd as well. Depends how desperate others teams are for one of these young QBs. Then again they can keep their spot, and maybe go Sewell or some other top talent.

(side bar: in the eyes of Belichick...does he pull the trigger and go QB in round one? Perhaps move up even??)
    I agree with you. My bad if I came across harsh lol. Its just so many people on here just talk or watch espn highlights, or listen to their favorite radio host and repeat what they said on here....like a couple of people on here said Justin Fields was a "one" read qb...
    Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

Comment

Originally posted by Ear2dastreets View Post

I agree with you. My bad if I came across harsh lol. Its just so many people on here just talk or watch espn highlights, or listen to their favorite radio host and repeat what they said on here....like a couple of people on here said Justin Fields was a "one" read qb...
      We're good. Sometimes I feel a little out of my league when I make my assessments, given I do not watch much college football. I catch up a lot between now and the draft, and try to soak up as much as I can, though I never have the depth of knowledge that many of you have. I watch far too much sports as is, so I have my limits. But I made a point of watching last night's game. The two young guns, on two good teams.

As I say, if I never saw or heard about these two young men, I would have given the distinct edge to Fields last night. But one game is never enough. Maybe it comes down to pass rush, coverage, blocking, or an abundance of other things. But two things stuck out during the game....the 60 plus yard bomb, and that perfect end zone pass to Ruckert (?). There were many other hi lites of course, including the excellent game that Sermon had.

Overall the NFL QB trend continues, with more young men who can throw first and show their athleticism whenever required, via avoiding pass rush or scrambling for yardage. These guys are so well rounded, and if you end up drafting one, you may change the direction of your club for 10 or more seasons.
      Last edited by CanDB; 01-02-2021, 12:26 PM.

Comment

One more thought.....given that Lawrence seems to be the #1 pick, based on all the mocks I've looked at lately, what if Fields has another great game against Alabama? The proverbial ball is in his hands, because his performance could matter from a positive or negative perspective. But if he has another game similar at all to what we just saw, he may change the landscape of the draft. Sure, The Jags may still want Lawrence, but even so, there may be greater discussion about Fields' value, especially if The Jets offer the pick for big time value. As we know, drafts are not decided until April...and if someone goes on a roll beforehand, including The Combine, positions change.

Conversely, and I hope this does not occur, if Fields has an off day, he will definitely not go first, but he may drop, and it could take him out of the top 2 QBs, maybe further.

I hope he has a good game, whether or not it's his best. I hope he does not have a setback.
        Last edited by CanDB; 01-02-2021, 01:32 PM.

Comment

i dont think fields lasts past pick 4...even if wilson goes 2nd
          Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Originally posted by armedequation View Post
            i dont think fields lasts past pick 4...even if wilson goes 2nd
            I dont think atlanta taking a qb. When need to talk to mia bout that 3rd pick. They don't need a qb.
            Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

Comment

ryan wont last forever
              Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Originally posted by Ear2dastreets View Post

I dont think atlanta taking a qb. When need to talk to mia bout that 3rd pick. They don't need a qb.
                I think ATL absolutely takes QB. Your 100% right we need to talk to MIA if we want a trade partner but make no mistake about it we won't be the only team trying to do so. Elway (if he wants a rookie QB) will have to weigh the value and if it's worth it.

Personally, I would love to see any of the top 3 in Denver next year but my gut tells me that Elway stays away from the rookie route and gives Lock another year. If he does decide to change at QB history tells us it will be a vet he decides to go with too.

Comment

Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post

I think ATL absolutely takes QB. Your 100% right we need to talk to MIA if we want a trade partner but make no mistake about it we won't be the only team trying to do so. Elway (if he wants a rookie QB) will have to weigh the value and if it's worth it.

Personally, I would love to see any of the top 3 in Denver next year but my gut tells me that Elway stays away from the rookie route and gives Lock another year. If he does decide to change at QB history tells us it will be a vet he decides to go with too.
                  Trust me when I say I doubt the will. This is why the falcons could easily be 11-4 they allowed some many teams to come back and win in the last quarter. Matt is only 35 or 36...he has about least good 3 years in him. He would cost like 40 million vs to the cap to move. Not team except for like 1 team has beat the falcons bad. They still have a small window for that team. Also Julio only has about 2 years left. I think they look to trade backend boost uptheir def and add a rb.

Comment

Never draft Ohio State QB's...it is known. This is the way.
                    New England Patriots GM

Comment

• Originally posted by Gbt31 View Post
                      Never draft Ohio State QB's...it is known. This is the way.
                      I guess you should never draft Bama, Clemson and BYU either bc NO good qb has come from either of those schools outside of "D Watson" in the last 25 years or so. So with that in mind I guess that makes Trey Lance the next best qb....im not that high on him. Still studying tape.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ear2dastreets View Post

I guess you should never draft Bama, Clemson and BYU either bc NO good qb has come from either of those schools outside of "D Watson" in the last 25 years or so. So with that in mind I guess that makes Trey Lance the next best qb....im not that high on him. Still studying tape.
                        No. Just Ohio State.
                        New England Patriots GM

Comment

• Can’t have an honest prospect discussion with posters whose only argument is “Ohio State QB bad”.

We can run down the rabbit hole of all universities whose QBs were bad in the NFL, much less even made it that far— until one actually became successful. The argument about schools and system is overrated. We all thought Air Raid offenses artificially inflated college production and then Mahomes (and Goff to an extent) happened. Every claim that lacks nuance will have holes.
                          2020 Adopt-A-Bronco: #10 JERRY JEUDY
                          Previous Adoptees: #25 CHRIS HARRIS, #38 QUINTON CARTER, #43 TJ WARD

Comment

• Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
                            Can’t have an honest prospect discussion with posters whose only argument is “Ohio State QB bad”.

We can run down the rabbit hole of all universities whose QBs were bad in the NFL, much less even made it that far— until one actually became successful. The argument about schools and system is overrated. We all thought Air Raid offenses artificially inflated college production and then Mahomes (and Goff to an extent) happened. Every claim that lacks nuance will have holes.
                            Then don't. lol
                            sigpic
                            Adopted Broncos:
                            EmmanuelSanders

Comment

• I would take either one of these QB's instantly. Lawrence had yet to play a team with that much offensive/defensive firepower this year. OSU really couldn't have played better in that game. Fields was fantastic in that game.

The college game translates pretty well to pro football these days for Qb's. It is going to come down to pass protection, scheme, and the ability to adjust to other teams defensives that will separate who is better. It is really hard to predict right now.

Comment

• A bit surprising how many mocks I see with Wilson moving up, even to 2nd overall.

Looking forward to the Alabama/Ohio game. Fields is something to lose, but can solidify his selection by performing well, especially if under pressure.

Comment

Working...
                                X