Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trevor on the Trading Block

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Eagles have a ton of picks and some good young corners. A Pryce for one of thier 3rd round picks and Dexter Wynn sounds good to me.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Javalon
      That article didn't specify if they threw away the final year of Pryce's original contract or if the new one was just added on. It makes a difference because if it's the latter he still has 4 years left on the current contract. Now you're talking about $6.3 million left in prorated bonus which means a hit of about $3.14 million each season if released after June 1st (or 2nd or whatever the deadline). Still, that's about a $6 million savings this year albeit at a cost of $3.14 million dead cap space next year.

      But if he's traded in time for the draft, we'd take the full $6.3 million hit saving only about $2.87 million this year while losing arguably our best defensive lineman when he's healthy. But should we really give him up for nothing?

      You know my stance, and its not going to change. Regardless of what an agent claims, D-linemen do NOT come back from spinal surgery to dominate, especially when they were not dominating before the surgery for 3 years.

      I would cut Pryce for the 6-7 million savings after June 2, or (and I did not know that trading a player makes the bonus hit, I thought the new team assumed the contract, pro-rated bonus and all, but that makes sense what you posted). I would only trade him for a 1st or early 2nd pick. If no team gives me that calibur of a pick, I wait and cut him to realize the 6-7 million in savings.

      Hold me to this now, that is what the Broncos are going to do. If he's not traded, he will certainly be cut. Guaranteed.

      For 6-7 million, you can easily sign two solid veterans that can give you 35 tackles, 5+ sacks. Which Pryce gives you for 9 million. I'll take the two players over the one.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Cugel
        First of all, you people need to carefully read the article: TP's agent says that health will not be an issue - at some point in the off-season, Trevor will be 100%. Before he signs with a new team he'll have to pass a physical with that team. Believe me, no-one will be "taking a chance" that he might come back. Either he's completely healthy or there will be no deal. If he's healthy then there's no reason he can't compete at the level he did before, at least for the next couple of years (he is getting up there in age).

        Second, according to his agent, the Broncos did not even ASK Trevor to renegotiate. He didn't refuse, he wasn't approached at all!


        Too many of you people forget exactly what kind of player TP is, but don't take MY word for it, here's what John Tait and Michael Strahan think:



        Does that sound like the kind of player you should get rid of? Trevor Pryce is simply the best player on the team. Period. This is just like Shanahan letting Bertrand Berry go last year! He didn't want to pay Berry the money, and what happened? Berry gets 14 1/2 sacks for the useless Cardinals! Was that a good move? Do you think maybe he was worth the extra $2 1/2 million it would have cost us to resign him? Could we have maybe gotten a few more turnovers and won a couple extra games this year with a decent pass rush? With Bertrand Berry on our team, the whole season could have been different - starting with a possible HOME PLAYOFF GAME for a change. I supported the Clinton Portis trade, but this sounds like a bad idea.



        This is the truth! Instead of $9 million, the Broncos are being hit with $6-7 million in cap space if they trade him. So they save some money, but not the full salary at all!

        Plus, no-one is going to give up a high #1 draft choice for a 30+ year old player, no matter how good he is. So, we're basically trading Trevor for a 2nd or 3rd round pick, which I think sucks big-time! At best we might get to package Pryce and our #1 for some other teams' #1, so we move up a bit in the first round. I doubt even that will happen.

        As for releasing Pryce, that would be the worst option of all because then his entire pro-rated signing bonus would be accelerated immedately against the cap! A Huge Dead Cap Space hit that would make Daryl "Pancake-Boy" Gardner's $3.4 million look like chump change!

        First of all his agent said, well there is a tip off right away. Does anyone really beleive anything a laywer or sports agent says?

        I think you are wrong about the signing bonus, when they make a trade the contract and all of it's ramifications goes with it. Now If he renegioates a new contract with the new club, well and good but the old money usually goes with it. Does not fall on our plate. If we released TP then we would get the hit either all at once before JUN1st or split in two after .

        But if we can't get decent deal TP will be lining up come training camp!

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Jrhampton
          First of all his agent said, well there is a tip off right away. Does anyone really beleive anything a laywer or sports agent says?

          I think you are wrong about the signing bonus, when they make a trade the contract and all of it's ramifications goes with it. Now If he renegioates a new contract with the new club, well and good but the old money usually goes with it. Does not fall on our plate. If we released TP then we would get the hit either all at once before JUN1st or split in two after .

          But if we can't get decent deal TP will be lining up come training camp!
          yup, we aint giving pryce away, merely shopping him out, if the deal is wrong, we wont bite
          and a trade means the other team take the contract right? and we dont get cap hits, only if we cut him, then we would have A LOT of dead money on our cap

          there is also a possibility of a sign and deal? because a team may not want the gaudy numbers either, so we renegotiate pryce onto a new deal, then trade him, but this is unlikely since it seems pryce wants every penny of his deal this year
          Member of Warwick University American Football Team in UK
          http://www.warwickwolves.co.uk

          I adopt Erica Weston

          Comment


          • First of all his agent said, well there is a tip off right away. Does anyone really beleive anything a laywer or sports agent says?
            Hey, what the hell?!!!

            Comment


            • Originally posted by dbdom
              yup, we aint giving pryce away, merely shopping him out, if the deal is wrong, we wont bite
              and a trade means the other team take the contract right? and we dont get cap hits, only if we cut him, then we would have A LOT of dead money on our cap

              there is also a possibility of a sign and deal? because a team may not want the gaudy numbers either, so we renegotiate pryce onto a new deal, then trade him, but this is unlikely since it seems pryce wants every penny of his deal this year
              No.

              His salary cap hit is 9 million. He produces 35ish tackles and 5-7 sacks.

              Cutting him after June 2nd, the hit is 2-3 million.

              That is a savings of 6-7 million. You can purchase two players to produce 35ish tackles and 5-7 sacks for that much money, if not more then two players.

              The goal is the salary cap relief so we can actually sign skill players to help out team. I believe Javalon is correct with the trade accelerating the bonus hit to next season. So, actually, a trade is in the worst interest of the club's goal which is salary cap savings to sign players.

              Thus, the only way they actually make the trade is if Pryce nets a 2nd or 1st round pick, theoretically, a player that could start immediately and help the team. The 4-6 million hit from the trade would be worth that high draft pick. It would not be worth a 3rd round and lower pick.

              The goal is to cut Trevor Pryce. His production has been average for 4 seasons now. Look at the stats I posted above in this thread. If before we cut him, we can actually get a high pick, then we do that because he won't be cut until after June 2nd, so might as well throw him out there and see if he gets a bite.

              Most teams know this though, and will probably just wait until he gets cut to negotiate with him. No team is willing to pay him 9 million, of that I'm sure.

              Again, you do NOT publically shop a player unless you know for a fact he won't be back in your lockerroom. Pryce will NEVER again play in a Broncos uniform. Look at how the Vikings are shopping Moss, they are denying it vehemently to the public because if they end up keeping him, they don't want him as a malcontent. But they certainly are shopping him. The Broncos straight up told the public, we want to trade Pryce. He is as good as gone.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
                Hey, what the hell?!!!

                You have heard the joke!

                What is the difference between a dead laywer on the highway and a dead skunk?














                There are skid marks in front of the skunk.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
                  Hey, what the hell?!!!

                  Thought you wanted to be in an honorable proffession GM of a football team.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Jrhampton
                    Thought you wanted to be in an honorable proffession GM of a football team.
                    Oh, that's the long term goal, but lawyering fees are going to be supporting me in the interim, assuming I survive through the remainder of law school mentally sound.

                    Bah, its criminal defense lawyers and personal injury lawyers that those jokes are aimed at. Contract and Property lawyers get much love.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Jrhampton
                      First of all his agent said, well there is a tip off right away. Does anyone really beleive anything a laywer or sports agent says?

                      I think you are wrong about the signing bonus, when they make a trade the contract and all of it's ramifications goes with it. Now If he renegioates a new contract with the new club, well and good but the old money usually goes with it. Does not fall on our plate. If we released TP then we would get the hit either all at once before JUN1st or split in two after .

                      But if we can't get decent deal TP will be lining up come training camp!
                      Actually, if we trade Pryce, we're still stuck with the signing bonus and it gets accelerated to our current salary cap. Pryce's next team only has to worry about the base salary and could basically trade or cut him whenever they want without any worries about their salary cap. Here's a page with lots of good information:
                      http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/clayt...n/1514182.html

                      Why trades aren't happening: Often, it's because of that pro-rated signing bonus hit. Unlike releasing a player, there is no way that a team trading a player can delay taking a salary cap hit. Once a player is traded, the remaining pro-ration is moved into that season. The same standard applies if a player released on waivers is acquired in a waiver claim. Through most of the year, this only applied to players who haven't qualified for unrestricted free agency -- those players who haven't been through four NFL seasons. Waiver claims move up the cap hit immediately. The trading deadline begins Feb. 28.
                      Note: Disregard the date because it was from last year. But the other information is still good.
                      "You can't take the sky from me..."
                      ------
                      "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
                        No.

                        His salary cap hit is 9 million. He produces 35ish tackles and 5-7 sacks.

                        Cutting him after June 2nd, the hit is 2-3 million.

                        That is a savings of 6-7 million. You can purchase two players to produce 35ish tackles and 5-7 sacks for that much money, if not more then two players.

                        The goal is the salary cap relief so we can actually sign skill players to help out team. I believe Javalon is correct with the trade accelerating the bonus hit to next season. So, actually, a trade is in the worst interest of the club's goal which is salary cap savings to sign players.

                        Thus, the only way they actually make the trade is if Pryce nets a 2nd or 1st round pick, theoretically, a player that could start immediately and help the team. The 4-6 million hit from the trade would be worth that high draft pick. It would not be worth a 3rd round and lower pick.

                        The goal is to cut Trevor Pryce. His production has been average for 4 seasons now. Look at the stats I posted above in this thread. If before we cut him, we can actually get a high pick, then we do that because he won't be cut until after June 2nd, so might as well throw him out there and see if he gets a bite.

                        Most teams know this though, and will probably just wait until he gets cut to negotiate with him. No team is willing to pay him 9 million, of that I'm sure.

                        Again, you do NOT publically shop a player unless you know for a fact he won't be back in your lockerroom. Pryce will NEVER again play in a Broncos uniform. Look at how the Vikings are shopping Moss, they are denying it vehemently to the public because if they end up keeping him, they don't want him as a malcontent. But they certainly are shopping him. The Broncos straight up told the public, we want to trade Pryce. He is as good as gone.
                        Actually other than his rookie season and this year his lowest total for sacks was 2.5. So he doesn't average 5 to 7 sacks.

                        His averages for tackles and sacks in 8 seasons are 44 tackles per year and 7.5 sacks. Also considering that he hasn't had alot help and the he see alot of double teams those are numbers aren't bad. As you may be aware those numbers have taken a hit since he missed an entire season.
                        Last edited by TXBRONC; 02-15-2005, 04:22 PM.
                        John 11: 25-27

                        My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams



                        Thanks Snk16

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
                          Oh, that's the long term goal, but lawyering fees are going to be supporting me in the interim, assuming I survive through the remainder of law school mentally sound.

                          Bah, its criminal defense lawyers and personal injury lawyers that those jokes are aimed at. Contract and Property lawyers get much love.

                          My father in law is the smartest and most honorbale man I ever met (behind my dad, of course), and he is an attorney.

                          Albiet, he does contract law, and eminent domain (not very sexy or lucrative...well, wait, it is lucrative!)

                          Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

                          The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
                          You should check these guys out

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Jared
                            My father in law is the smartest and most honorbale man I ever met (behind my dad, of course), and he is an attorney.

                            Albiet, he does contract law, and eminent domain (not very sexy or lucrative...well, wait, it is lucrative!)

                            Ooh, eminent domain gets hated on big time. Nobody seems to appreciate it much when the government takes their land.

                            Contract law is fantastic, it's not sexy at all, but you basically need a contract for everything in life, and it's considered the hardest area of law as well as the boringest.

                            That just means less competition and more moolah, and the best part is once you get good at it, you can just basically use the same forms over and over and reduce your workload bigtime as the years roll on.

                            Comment


                            • BTW, all you "Pryce is not going to be cut" folks, please read this link.

                              http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...548634,00.html

                              I will highlight in particular words directly from Trevor's mouth:

                              Trevor Pryce has not been traded yet. It is a possibility apparently only in the discussion stages.

                              But in the defensive lineman's mind, he already is as good as gone from the Denver Broncos after eight seasons, particularly after news the team is shopping him has become public knowledge.

                              "This is not something you come back from," Pryce said Monday. "We'd all look bad if they don't trade me. I look bad. They look bad. And they're dead set. That's fine."

                              Also, the actual savings information:

                              Denver, because of pre-existing prorations of previously paid bonuses, still would be responsible for $3.53 million on the salary cap next season in "dead" money tied to Pryce by dealing him but would save $5.87 million in base salary, roster and workout bonuses.

                              So, there ya go, straight from his mouth, he is gone.


                              And, if we don't trade him, but wait to cut him after June 2nd, we would save 7 million. However, saving 6 million and getting a draft pick, even a 3rd rounder, would be a better deal.


                              So, all you people that spent 10+ pages arguing with me (and others) that Pryce is not positively going to be traded or cut, please form a nice line and bow down.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
                                BTW, all you "Pryce is not going to be cut" folks, please read this link.

                                http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...548634,00.html

                                I will highlight in particular words directly from Trevor's mouth:

                                Trevor Pryce has not been traded yet. It is a possibility apparently only in the discussion stages.




                                Also, the actual savings information:




                                So, there ya go, straight from his mouth, he is gone.


                                And, if we don't trade him, but wait to cut him after June 2nd, we would save 7 million. However, saving 6 million and getting a draft pick, even a 3rd rounder, would be a better deal.


                                So, all you people that spent 10+ pages arguing with me (and others) that Pryce is not positively going to be traded or cut, please form a nice line and bow down.
                                Within the context of the article that doesn't say they will cut him, what it says is that a high profile player like Pryce who doesn't get traded would be embarrasing, but that doesn't equal being cut. So no bowing down here. It looks like you want say something it doesn't MUG.
                                John 11: 25-27

                                My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams



                                Thanks Snk16

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X