Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trevor on the Trading Block

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • for the hundreth time, the 3-4 WONT BE our base defense. the 4-3 will still be. but we will be running more plays out of the 3-4. meaning that hayward can still be used. THINK PPL , THINK!!
    This is no longer an issue. It was confirmed in this morning's paper. The 3-4 is NOT the reason for moving Pryce and isn't going to the base defense. It will still be the 4-3 with some experiment with the 3-4. What do you bet it will finally work out to about 30% 3-4? They may try it early in the season and see how well it works. But unless there's a pickup of a couple "huge tubs of goo" DL in free-agency who can just occupy blockers. With smaller DL it won't work well, because the DL have to occupy space and keep OL from getting to the linebackers.

    I think the whole 3-4 thing has been blown out of proportion by press speculation. Perhaps the Broncos hope other teams will think that as a decoy going into the draft.
    sigpic

    Comment


    • Oh, by the way, it is now reported that the Broncos have reduced their demands to a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Trevor: http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

      So, all of you who were ridiculously anticipating a #1 pick can forget it.
      It looks like the Broncos will be lucky if they get a #3.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • Why shop Pryce?

        All right, I'm new to the message board, but a long time Bronco fan. It seems like everyone here is down with moving tp to get a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick. This move makes absolutely no sense to me. Now, I agree that his cap number is outrageous for an aging defensive end, but the front office hasn't even approached him about restructuring:

        "Schaffer said at no time have the Broncos approached him about a possible contract restructure, just a possible trade (Rocky Mountain News - http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...548634,00.html). "

        As has also been documented here, our biggest need it a pass rushing DE, and tp is widely regarded as one of the best in the league, constantly drawing double teams. Pryce is still a DE-DT tweener, an ideal fit for end in the 3-4 (like Richard Seymour). If we get Pryce to restucture, and draft a Shaun Cody--bam, our D-line is set, with Mario in the middle.

        But, we shop him for a gamble on a 2nd or 3rd rounder? That is taking a huge chance, and ignoring a pressing need!

        If we go to a 3-4, I would let Hayward go--too expensive for a situational pass rusher, not versitile enough to play OLB. If we want to clear more cap space, let Kenoy Kennedy go--we kept 5 safeties on the roster this year, somebody in there must be able to play, or we would have cut one (Is Chris Young any good in coverage--I don't know).

        The biggest need I see, if we draft Cody and kept Trevor, is getting a good pass rushing OLB (ala Joey Porter, Willie McGinnest). Spragan and D.J. Williams certainly don't fit the bill. I'm not sure about Patrick Chukurwah or if Anton Palepoi could move out. Definitely need some help here, whether we keep Trevor or not. In fact, to put pressure on the QB, this might be more of a need than D-line, since we have Marco Coleman or Luther Ellis to fill the bill. We might be better off drafting a Matt Roth type rather than Cody.

        What do you guys think? Is Shanny smoking something, or am I?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by BroncoDefense
          All right, I'm new to the message board, but a long time Bronco fan. It seems like everyone here is down with moving tp to get a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick. This move makes absolutely no sense to me. Now, I agree that his cap number is outrageous for an aging defensive end, but the front office hasn't even approached him about restructuring:

          "Schaffer said at no time have the Broncos approached him about a possible contract restructure, just a possible trade (Rocky Mountain News - http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...548634,00.html). "

          As has also been documented here, our biggest need it a pass rushing DE, and tp is widely regarded as one of the best in the league, constantly drawing double teams. Pryce is still a DE-DT tweener, an ideal fit for end in the 3-4 (like Richard Seymour). If we get Pryce to restucture, and draft a Shaun Cody--bam, our D-line is set, with Mario in the middle.

          But, we shop him for a gamble on a 2nd or 3rd rounder? That is taking a huge chance, and ignoring a pressing need!

          If we go to a 3-4, I would let Hayward go--too expensive for a situational pass rusher, not versitile enough to play OLB. If we want to clear more cap space, let Kenoy Kennedy go--we kept 5 safeties on the roster this year, somebody in there must be able to play, or we would have cut one (Is Chris Young any good in coverage--I don't know).

          The biggest need I see, if we draft Cody and kept Trevor, is getting a good pass rushing OLB (ala Joey Porter, Willie McGinnest). Spragan and D.J. Williams certainly don't fit the bill. I'm not sure about Patrick Chukurwah or if Anton Palepoi could move out. Definitely need some help here, whether we keep Trevor or not. In fact, to put pressure on the QB, this might be more of a need than D-line, since we have Marco Coleman or Luther Ellis to fill the bill. We might be better off drafting a Matt Roth type rather than Cody.

          What do you guys think? Is Shanny smoking something, or am I?
          Whatever shanny is blowing I wanna blow some of it too. I think we're finally going to forfill my dream and run a 3-4 defensive scheme. The reason we're shipping off Pyrce is that huge cap numbr he has for medicore performance. He's not living up to his contract and he's coming off a serious back injury. Therefore, he's a liability and might actually just end up retiring on us all together still leaving up with that huge salary. Now if we can trade him for a 2-3 rounder we can draft a young player to contribute to the team. If we're truely serious aobut the 3-4 defensive scheme we'll be able to take a DE/OLB tweener with our pick and use the early 2nd round pick obtained by trading Pyrce to pick up a true NT or maybe hawthrone or that other kid everybody's hyped up.

          There's also a possiblity we'd draft Everett from the U with that high second round pick. I see what the management is doing we're finally stockpiling picks to build up the team through the draft think NE. Oh yeah new flash DJ is a ballhawk at LB and would be perfect to send at the QB in pass rushing situations, but he's great in coverage so he dropped back into coverage more so than blitzing this year because of that horrible pass rush we have.
          Last edited by vicious2500; 02-17-2005, 03:16 PM.
          sigpic
          PSN & XBL: Vicious2500
          You Shed Tears of Scarlet

          Comment


          • If they are shopping him he probably is not healed and they believe he will not be 100% due to the back problems. Who knows, but that is what I think...

            Comment


            • Great first post fella, I think Tp is gonna go along with Hayward, gives us some room an with the 3-4 RH is useless, and TP is old an had a MAJOR injury, looks like my worries were pretty true..........seein how he couldnt play dang close to all year. If we switch to 3-4, wed be better off gettin us some late firs day an 2nd day tweeners (de-dts and olb-des) seein how they seem to be around a lot longer. Gives us some versatility for both defenses (if we do indeed keep 4-3, i dont think we are tho) but also gives us some more bulk at places we need (dl and pass rush)
              Bronco fan from Packer Land.
              Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
              Tweet me @JoRo_5551

              Comment


              • Obviously he didn't play up to his salary, because he didn't play. His cap number is enourmous, but why not just restructure it--or at least try to?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by broncofries
                  If they are shopping him he probably is not healed and they believe he will not be 100% due to the back problems. Who knows, but that is what I think...
                  Or they figure that the $9 mil would be better spent on 2 or 3 players as opposed to one. If they play their cards right, this could turn out to be a brilliant move™
                  This space for rent

                  Comment


                  • Are they really getting rid of Trevor!?!?

                    What are Ted and Mike thinking? Can we really get rid of our best defensive lineman (when healthy?). Is he healthy? Are all of us fans getting rope-a-doped again? What can we really get for him? I think it was a bad move letting Bert go last season. So much for buying that jersey.
                    Oh, The Color of Orange! Ah!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by YOUNGERJKSPEE
                      What are Ted and Mike thinking? Can we really get rid of our best defensive lineman (when healthy?). Is he healthy? Are all of us fans getting rope-a-doped again? What can we really get for him? I think it was a bad move letting Bert go last season. So much for buying that jersey.
                      Man this topic is plastered all over this forum you can find the answer to your question in one of the many Trevor Pryce threads.

                      But mostly its the money hes getting, and the fact he might not come back 100%.
                      We can get younger and cheaper. This offseason will be a interesting one for us.

                      Comment


                      • Hey Mods....

                        Any chance we can get this stickied/pinned?™
                        This space for rent

                        Comment


                        • I am still hopeful that we get a high pick or a good trade for Trevor. All we need is one team that thinks that he is the missing piece to them having a super bowl team. There is a shortage of quality free agent D-ends this year. That I would think helps us with trading Trevor but hurts us in re-signing Reggie.

                          I wish we could keep him. With his cap number and all our players that need to be re-signed this year there was no way to keep him. To bad!

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by MoFo_JoRo
                            Great first post fella, I think Tp is gonna go along with Hayward, gives us some room an with the 3-4 RH is useless, and TP is old an had a MAJOR injury, looks like my worries were pretty true..........seein how he couldnt play dang close to all year. If we switch to 3-4, wed be better off gettin us some late firs day an 2nd day tweeners (de-dts and olb-des) seein how they seem to be around a lot longer. Gives us some versatility for both defenses (if we do indeed keep 4-3, i dont think we are tho) but also gives us some more bulk at places we need (dl and pass rush)
                            Mo the way I understand this situation, is that Denver wants to trade Pryce for draft picks and free up enough cap space to resign Reggie Hayward.
                            John 11: 25-27

                            My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams



                            Thanks Snk16

                            Comment


                            • Threds merged.

                              PLEASE use the search function to see if the topic already has a thread posted.

                              Thank you.

                              Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

                              The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
                              You should check these guys out

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Broncology
                                Look at it this way; we were a 10-6 team without our four-time Pro-Bowl defensive lineman; it's not like this trade is going to end up hurting us this bad. Like Mat'hir said a while back; it's really hard for a guy to come back fully healthy after an injury to that proportion. I'll miss Trevor is he's traded; he was by far one of my most favorite players on the Broncos; but if there are teams that are desperately needed a lineman and are very interested in trading for him; I don't see why not.

                                I think I know a few of the teams that would be willing to trade either their first rounder or second rounder/thirds for him.

                                The Houston Texans
                                The Dallas Cowboys (who have two first rounders; so this could be a possibility -- very good actually)
                                The Jacksonville Jaguars
                                The Minnesota Vikings

                                They all have picks in the 10-20 area; and to be quite honest; if we were to get two first round draft picks; plus a couple other early rounders; I think we could definately bust some balls in this year's draft.

                                Pryce's figure for this year is 10,000,000 and that's just ridiculous; especially for a guy who was injured last season.

                                I'm all for trading him; it'll be sad to see him go; but the NFL is a business and you have to do what you have to do.
                                Nobody I mean Nobody is going to give us their first rounder for a guy who is coming off of back surgery, that only played in 1 game at the begining of the year, gradted Trevor is good but the guys going in the first round have his ability and are young. We may if we are lucky get a 2nd rounder along with a 3rd or 4th.
                                sigpic WHEC-724

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X