X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adrenaline
    replied
    Originally posted by YOUNGERJKSPEE
    What are Ted and Mike thinking? Can we really get rid of our best defensive lineman (when healthy?). Is he healthy? Are all of us fans getting rope-a-doped again? What can we really get for him? I think it was a bad move letting Bert go last season. So much for buying that jersey.
    Man this topic is plastered all over this forum you can find the answer to your question in one of the many Trevor Pryce threads.

But mostly its the money hes getting, and the fact he might not come back 100%.
    We can get younger and cheaper. This offseason will be a interesting one for us.

Leave a comment:

• YOUNGERJKSPEE
    replied
    Are they really getting rid of Trevor!?!?

What are Ted and Mike thinking? Can we really get rid of our best defensive lineman (when healthy?). Is he healthy? Are all of us fans getting rope-a-doped again? What can we really get for him? I think it was a bad move letting Bert go last season. So much for buying that jersey.

Leave a comment:

• urinal_cake
    replied
    Originally posted by broncofries
    If they are shopping him he probably is not healed and they believe he will not be 100% due to the back problems. Who knows, but that is what I think...
    Or they figure that the $9 mil would be better spent on 2 or 3 players as opposed to one. If they play their cards right, this could turn out to be a brilliant move™

Leave a comment:

• BroncoDefense
    replied
    Obviously he didn't play up to his salary, because he didn't play. His cap number is enourmous, but why not just restructure it--or at least try to?

Leave a comment:

• MoFo_JoRo
    replied
    Great first post fella, I think Tp is gonna go along with Hayward, gives us some room an with the 3-4 RH is useless, and TP is old an had a MAJOR injury, looks like my worries were pretty true..........seein how he couldnt play dang close to all year. If we switch to 3-4, wed be better off gettin us some late firs day an 2nd day tweeners (de-dts and olb-des) seein how they seem to be around a lot longer. Gives us some versatility for both defenses (if we do indeed keep 4-3, i dont think we are tho) but also gives us some more bulk at places we need (dl and pass rush)

Leave a comment:

• broncofries
    replied
    If they are shopping him he probably is not healed and they believe he will not be 100% due to the back problems. Who knows, but that is what I think...

Leave a comment:

• vicious2500
    replied
    Originally posted by BroncoDefense
    All right, I'm new to the message board, but a long time Bronco fan. It seems like everyone here is down with moving tp to get a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick. This move makes absolutely no sense to me. Now, I agree that his cap number is outrageous for an aging defensive end, but the front office hasn't even approached him about restructuring:

"Schaffer said at no time have the Broncos approached him about a possible contract restructure, just a possible trade (Rocky Mountain News - http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...548634,00.html). "

As has also been documented here, our biggest need it a pass rushing DE, and tp is widely regarded as one of the best in the league, constantly drawing double teams. Pryce is still a DE-DT tweener, an ideal fit for end in the 3-4 (like Richard Seymour). If we get Pryce to restucture, and draft a Shaun Cody--bam, our D-line is set, with Mario in the middle.

But, we shop him for a gamble on a 2nd or 3rd rounder? That is taking a huge chance, and ignoring a pressing need!

If we go to a 3-4, I would let Hayward go--too expensive for a situational pass rusher, not versitile enough to play OLB. If we want to clear more cap space, let Kenoy Kennedy go--we kept 5 safeties on the roster this year, somebody in there must be able to play, or we would have cut one (Is Chris Young any good in coverage--I don't know).

The biggest need I see, if we draft Cody and kept Trevor, is getting a good pass rushing OLB (ala Joey Porter, Willie McGinnest). Spragan and D.J. Williams certainly don't fit the bill. I'm not sure about Patrick Chukurwah or if Anton Palepoi could move out. Definitely need some help here, whether we keep Trevor or not. In fact, to put pressure on the QB, this might be more of a need than D-line, since we have Marco Coleman or Luther Ellis to fill the bill. We might be better off drafting a Matt Roth type rather than Cody.

What do you guys think? Is Shanny smoking something, or am I?
    Whatever shanny is blowing I wanna blow some of it too. I think we're finally going to forfill my dream and run a 3-4 defensive scheme. The reason we're shipping off Pyrce is that huge cap numbr he has for medicore performance. He's not living up to his contract and he's coming off a serious back injury. Therefore, he's a liability and might actually just end up retiring on us all together still leaving up with that huge salary. Now if we can trade him for a 2-3 rounder we can draft a young player to contribute to the team. If we're truely serious aobut the 3-4 defensive scheme we'll be able to take a DE/OLB tweener with our pick and use the early 2nd round pick obtained by trading Pyrce to pick up a true NT or maybe hawthrone or that other kid everybody's hyped up.

There's also a possiblity we'd draft Everett from the U with that high second round pick. I see what the management is doing we're finally stockpiling picks to build up the team through the draft think NE. Oh yeah new flash DJ is a ballhawk at LB and would be perfect to send at the QB in pass rushing situations, but he's great in coverage so he dropped back into coverage more so than blitzing this year because of that horrible pass rush we have.
    Last edited by vicious2500; 02-17-2005, 03:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BroncoDefense
    replied
    Why shop Pryce?

All right, I'm new to the message board, but a long time Bronco fan. It seems like everyone here is down with moving tp to get a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick. This move makes absolutely no sense to me. Now, I agree that his cap number is outrageous for an aging defensive end, but the front office hasn't even approached him about restructuring:

"Schaffer said at no time have the Broncos approached him about a possible contract restructure, just a possible trade (Rocky Mountain News - http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...548634,00.html). "

As has also been documented here, our biggest need it a pass rushing DE, and tp is widely regarded as one of the best in the league, constantly drawing double teams. Pryce is still a DE-DT tweener, an ideal fit for end in the 3-4 (like Richard Seymour). If we get Pryce to restucture, and draft a Shaun Cody--bam, our D-line is set, with Mario in the middle.

But, we shop him for a gamble on a 2nd or 3rd rounder? That is taking a huge chance, and ignoring a pressing need!

If we go to a 3-4, I would let Hayward go--too expensive for a situational pass rusher, not versitile enough to play OLB. If we want to clear more cap space, let Kenoy Kennedy go--we kept 5 safeties on the roster this year, somebody in there must be able to play, or we would have cut one (Is Chris Young any good in coverage--I don't know).

The biggest need I see, if we draft Cody and kept Trevor, is getting a good pass rushing OLB (ala Joey Porter, Willie McGinnest). Spragan and D.J. Williams certainly don't fit the bill. I'm not sure about Patrick Chukurwah or if Anton Palepoi could move out. Definitely need some help here, whether we keep Trevor or not. In fact, to put pressure on the QB, this might be more of a need than D-line, since we have Marco Coleman or Luther Ellis to fill the bill. We might be better off drafting a Matt Roth type rather than Cody.

What do you guys think? Is Shanny smoking something, or am I?

Leave a comment:

• Cugel
    replied
    Oh, by the way, it is now reported that the Broncos have reduced their demands to a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Trevor: http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

So, all of you who were ridiculously anticipating a #1 pick can forget it.
    It looks like the Broncos will be lucky if they get a #3.

Leave a comment:

• Cugel
    replied
    for the hundreth time, the 3-4 WONT BE our base defense. the 4-3 will still be. but we will be running more plays out of the 3-4. meaning that hayward can still be used. THINK PPL , THINK!!
    This is no longer an issue. It was confirmed in this morning's paper. The 3-4 is NOT the reason for moving Pryce and isn't going to the base defense. It will still be the 4-3 with some experiment with the 3-4. What do you bet it will finally work out to about 30% 3-4? They may try it early in the season and see how well it works. But unless there's a pickup of a couple "huge tubs of goo" DL in free-agency who can just occupy blockers. With smaller DL it won't work well, because the DL have to occupy space and keep OL from getting to the linebackers.

I think the whole 3-4 thing has been blown out of proportion by press speculation. Perhaps the Broncos hope other teams will think that as a decoy going into the draft.

Leave a comment:

• Return of Lava
    replied
    Originally posted by rcsodak
    Yaba....I see the error of my ways.....

I ....am.....sorry....lava.....

I faintly remember the discussion from last year, and lava was in it.
    I guess sometimes 2+2 doesn't equal 3.....
    its cool i know things get mixed up a lot. me and you have generally agreed on a lot of things in the past

Leave a comment:

• Return of Lava
    replied
    Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
    That's not true. I will remind you of Daryl Gardner and Sean Gilbert. Both passed physicals, both had to retire due to back problems after signing massive contracts. Teams learn. I highly doubt any team will trade a draft pick for Pryce, when they can just wait until he is cut to resign him. If I was the GM, I would try and get some idiot to bite for a 3rd or higher pick, if not, I cut him after June 2nd.
    You say "just wait til he is cut andf resign him" Its not that easy, many teams are interested and a team may lose out if they dont get him now for a draft pick. Its not going to come to that, a team will trade a pick for pryce. What team wants to end up having to outbid other teams with more money when they can just up a draft pick and save the hassle.

Oh, I agree with Shanahan being a horrific personnel evaluator. Heyward asked for a long term contract last offseason, we rebuffed him. This offseason, I'll be curious to see if we've learned at all and lock up Putzier, Walls, and Herndon now while they are cheap. However, it was widely known the Broncos DID want to resign Berry, they simply could not match Arizona's offer. The front office took time to explain the situation on this website's main page.
    Its hard to resign a future star when you have other stars need resigning. I dont think Hayward should get a big deal from us, only 10 sacks doesnt put him in the elite. Most of his sacks came against the titans anyway he had only 7.5 the rest of the season, and wasnt a constant threat liek a freeney, he tries his move if it works he gets a sack if not, he is out of the picture.

Bah, minor mistake in my math. Still, those are massive savings, you could easily sign several D-line solid veterans with those savings or resign key members of your team. He was not about to take a 5-6 million pay cut, Im pretty confident about that.
    But we dont want solid vets or several d-lineman, we need 1 stellar one who plays a lot, thats why i dont think trevor will be cut if we dont trade him(unless his back is a factor). you complained about coleman and raylee when they are solid vets whom we tried to bring in.

The issue is whether the Broncos place any value on him at all. The team may think he won't ever be effective again like all the other previous D-linemen who had spinal problems. They saw what happened to Mobley on a personal basis. Mobley said "Oh, Ill be back 100%". Yeah, sure. That's what they all say.

I place absolutely zero value on Pryce. I would gamble on him like we did with Luther Elliss, who has had the same problem for the past 4 years and finally now is going to retire and give up. I would give Pryce 1 million dollars on a 1 year deal to show me he can be effective again.
    Even with his back, I still have a high value in pryce i believe he can comeback. i am for the trade, for the sake of cap, but i still think he will be great if he played here.

Leave a comment:

• TXBRONC
    replied
    Originally posted by rcsodak

At anyrate I still disagree with him. Btw how have you been guy?

Leave a comment:

• rcsodak
    replied
    Originally posted by TXBRONC
    Actually RC, Lava has maintained that Pryce doesn't get doubled teamed.

Btw MUG the Colts game two years ago that you've talked mention in a previous post. We must not have watched the same game because distinctly remember Pryce getting pressure on Manning several times and that he also recorded a sack in that game.

Leave a comment:

• bleedbluorange
    replied
    Originally posted by Snk16
    IT's really sad, Trevor's a great player IMHO. I think even if we look bad we should keep him.
    Couldnt agree more with ya

Leave a comment:

Working...
X