No announcement yet.

DenverPost Suggests We move Up to Grab Mike Willams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyone should take this article with a grain of salt. Neither The Denver Post nor its writers make the decisions for the football team. This article was an opinion not fact. I don't see this happening, I'd rather the team move up in the draft to draft a top notch D-Lineman.

There are still plenty of impact WR's left out in Free Agency that could help firm up the Wideouts we currently have on this team.
    2007 Season- Allllll Readddddy!!!!! #27

Comment

I would say that Williams is worth Pryce and our first round from a Denver perspective. But I doubt that it will happen. You guys should also look at the source of the article. This guy is not exactly old reliable.
      Patriotic dissent is a luxury of those protected by better men than they.

Comment

Originally posted by cuuda
        Take the "crazy" crap and stick it in your ear or lower........didn't say we would take 3 or more defense players......said we need to adress our defensive problems, and don't tell me we don't have any......and Ashley should and could be a deep threat, but at this moment he not what he should be, each year he gets a little better....made some good catches, but drop too many easy ones.......deep threat, maybe this year
        I wasnt attacking you boss slow down. All im saying is if we had 7 picks in the draft we arent going to draft 7 defensive players. Our defense is NOT THAT BAD. All im saying is mike williams has the potential to have more of an impact on this season than a defensive lineman.

I can name 2 games we would have one or would have been in a extremely better position to win had we had mike williams. San Diego - Mike williams is the guy catching that lob pass from jake and 6'0 florence is tippin that ball and mike is not dropping it at 6'5 with a 40 inch vertical. Oakland - Darius watts back of the end zone. Maybe thats not williams trying to catch it, its smith or lelie because williams is on the field every moves down a position or stays the same. One we could have tried to make a comeback on Falcons game - dropped pass in the endzone. granted watts was a rookie, i accept the mistake but that could have been ashley or rod or even mike making that play. The kid has the best hands I have ever seen.
        A Wise Man Once Told Me Dont Argue With Fools Cuz People From a Distance Cant Tell Who is Who

Comment

No one is saying he is John Clayton. He dropped an opinion and now im asking yall your opinion. It may not be realistic, it may not even be in the cards, it may be a decoy for something bigger. Even so the broncos need to shore up the wide reciever postion BEFORE rod retires not after.
          A Wise Man Once Told Me Dont Argue With Fools Cuz People From a Distance Cant Tell Who is Who

Comment

Mike Williams = Playmaker

Keep pushing the M. Williams thing MillitantDB. IMO Mike Williams is exactly what the Broncos have lacked on both sides of the ball, a playmaker. It would certainly be a far jump to secure a pick where Williams would be available, but not impossible. It would definitely require some luck. Similar to Shanahan's list of 5 he targeted last year, IMO these are the 5 he would look to this year:
            M.Williams- big, fast enough, playmaking receiver
            M. Spears- ideal run stopping DE for a 3-4
            S. Merriman- physical specimen who could be a pass rushing threat on the edge.
            T. Johnson- DT great at penetrating and breaking down the pocket
            J. Brown- Great OL prospect who WILL block equally well with run and pass.
            A lot of the draft will depend on Chicago. Will they draft a WR or a RB. If they take B. Edwards, you would have to jump to #5 to secure Mike Williams. However, if Chicago selects a RB like C. Benson or R. Brown, there is a great chance that Edwards will last until pick 7 for MIN and Williams could be had at nine. Washington could look at him, but Washington was rumored early on to be looking at moving out of the first round or at least moving back. Washington is looking for a DE, so Denver could offer Pryce, a First rounder, and would definitely need to add more picks, hopefully though not from this draft as the Broncos are already in dire straights. Possibly a 2nd and 4th next year.
            Either way, I love the idea of Mike Williams. I understand that Denver's biggest need is a DE. But drafting only for need is what creates a "Bust." Mike Williams is a playmaker, a need that the Broncos have had for quite some time now.

Comment

The article is an amusing read, however unlikely, I think it'd be a great move for us. Williams is a playmaker, pure and simple. We haven't had one on this team since Elway retired. Seriously, no one "gameplans" for Rod Smith. I love Rod as much as anyone but he needs to start grooming his replacement. By going out and getting a star WR like this it shows we are ready to take the next step. If we don't make some big moves we'll end up just like the previous 4 seasons 8-8 to 10-6 fighting for a wildcard spot only to be blown out in the playoffs on the road. All we ever do in the offseason is replace departed average players with more average players. If we're not aggressive in the offseason, we won't be very competitive in the regular season. I'd rather go for broke and end up 1-15 next season (with a high round pick) than end up 10-6 again, lose in the first round, and end up drafting in the 20's again. JMO.

Comment

Originally posted by jletourneau
                Keep pushing the M. Williams thing MillitantDB. IMO Mike Williams is exactly what the Broncos have lacked on both sides of the ball, a playmaker. It would certainly be a far jump to secure a pick where Williams would be available, but not impossible. It would definitely require some luck. Similar to Shanahan's list of 5 he targeted last year, IMO these are the 5 he would look to this year:
                M.Williams- big, fast enough, playmaking receiver
                M. Spears- ideal run stopping DE for a 3-4
                S. Merriman- physical specimen who could be a pass rushing threat on the edge.
                T. Johnson- DT great at penetrating and breaking down the pocket
                J. Brown- Great OL prospect who WILL block equally well with run and pass.
                A lot of the draft will depend on Chicago. Will they draft a WR or a RB. If they take B. Edwards, you would have to jump to #5 to secure Mike Williams. However, if Chicago selects a RB like C. Benson or R. Brown, there is a great chance that Edwards will last until pick 7 for MIN and Williams could be had at nine. Washington could look at him, but Washington was rumored early on to be looking at moving out of the first round or at least moving back. Washington is looking for a DE, so Denver could offer Pryce, a First rounder, and would definitely need to add more picks, hopefully though not from this draft as the Broncos are already in dire straights. Possibly a 2nd and 4th next year.
                Either way, I love the idea of Mike Williams. I understand that Denver's biggest need is a DE. But drafting only for need is what creates a "Bust." Mike Williams is a playmaker, a need that the Broncos have had for quite some time now.
                Minny is also pursuing Burress right now and if the get him, I doubt they'll go after Williams come draft day. As it is they really don't need any more receivers they need more D players. I think that will happen for them at 7 and they'll go after a WR with their other 1st rounder - someone like Williamson, or Clayton

Comment

Although I agree with kiszla about the Mike Williams being a star player in the nfl, I cannot help but notice that he said Plummer lelie and bell are worse than leinart bush and williams... How dare he compare college players to the nfl, thats comparing apples to oranges.. I have read the post plenty of times, this guy always has his head up his azz.
                  R.I.P. Darrent Williams

R.I.P. Damien Nash

Comment

Honestly, I can’t see a DE or DT in the mid 20’s of the draft coming in and helping us so much that it immediately helps our pass rush go to the next level.

Unless one of these guys is a Terrell Suggs (when was he taken btw?) I just can’t see us all of a sudden being playoff bound because of a rookie DE.

Williams could be the next Moss, he could be a bust, but I would rather gamble and try and get him than end up getting a DE that gets 3 sacks in his rookie year.

Our D isn’t that bad, if your D is top 10 it should be enough. Then your O needs to score points.

Rod will be gone soon and why wait till next years draft to get a WR? Will there be a player of Williams calibre next year? I doubt it.

Although the chances of this actually happening are slim to say the least, people need to realise that Williams impact in his rookie year would far surpass any DE we can get.
                    kiwi Bronco fan

Comment

Hey I am all for this. Williams would give us a threat we need in the Red Zone and on third down. He is big, strong and has the best hands I have seen out of college in a long time.

I actually think the Browns would be the best team to target. They really want a tackle (even though they have picked up a couple OL in FA). One of the top three tackles will still be left at 25. They could trade down and get a guy they want.

Comment

Originally posted by myoung
                        Hey I am all for this. Williams would give us a threat we need in the Red Zone and on third down. He is big, strong and has the best hands I have seen out of college in a long time.

I actually think the Browns would be the best team to target. They really want a tackle (even though they have picked up a couple OL in FA). One of the top three tackles will still be left at 25. They could trade down and get a guy they want.
                        I think the trade would have to take place on draft day. to ensure we get our guy. I would hate to trade for the 7th spot only to have the guy we want go 6th. I do agree that it's time to take a real chance. Taking a chance on Warren or any other of our over the hill free agent defensive linemen wont make us a champion. This team is missing a dynamic player on offense. It also needs defensive line help. We should take a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by bleedbluorange
                          I think the trade would have to take place on draft day. to ensure we get our guy. I would hate to trade for the 7th spot only to have the guy we want go 6th. I do agree that it's time to take a real chance. Taking a chance on Warren or any other of our over the hill free agent defensive linemen wont make us a champion. This team is missing a dynamic player on offense. It also needs defensive line help. We should take a chance.
                          I concurr gamebreakers are hard to find and this is one guy that is a tad bit below the radar in the big scheme of things. All the superbowl teams in recent memory have gamebreakers.

Pats - defense is a gamebreaker in itself.
                          Eagles - TO and MCnabb
                          Rams - Faulk and dynamic special teams
                          Ravens - Ray Lewis and Jamal Lewis, dynamic defense
                          Broncos - Terrell Davis

As much as i love champ bailey in this day and age of football it is extremely hard for a defensive back to completely change a game around. He is worth every penny to me, but in my eyes if Wiliams reaches expectations the broncos will be SET for years to come on BOTH sides of the football. I dont think people realize how close to complete this team really is. All we lack is a consistent pass rush and a game breaker. In my eyes its easier to find a consistent pass rush than a gamebreaker the caliber of mike williams. I just dont like the idea of waiting around until rod decides to retire. Williams to me is INSTANT impact. even if he has 300 yards receiving on the season. I know for a fact our red zone chances would go up considerably. he could have 300 yards receiving and 7tdz. id take that over 5 sacks.

Comment

Originally posted by MilitantDBFan
                            I concurr gamebreakers are hard to find and this is one guy that is a tad bit below the radar in the big scheme of things. All the superbowl teams in recent memory have gamebreakers.

Pats - defense is a gamebreaker in itself.
                            Eagles - TO and MCnabb
                            Rams - Faulk and dynamic special teams
                            Ravens - Ray Lewis and Jamal Lewis, dynamic defense
                            Broncos - Terrell Davis

As much as i love champ bailey in this day and age of football it is extremely hard for a defensive back to completely change a game around. He is worth every penny to me, but in my eyes if Wiliams reaches expectations the broncos will be SET for years to come on BOTH sides of the football. I dont think people realize how close to complete this team really is. All we lack is a consistent pass rush and a game breaker. In my eyes its easier to find a consistent pass rush than a gamebreaker the caliber of mike williams. I just dont like the idea of waiting around until rod decides to retire. Williams to me is INSTANT impact. even if he has 300 yards receiving on the season. I know for a fact our red zone chances would go up considerably. he could have 300 yards receiving and 7tdz. id take that over 5 sacks.
                            Agreed. I think we need a presence in the red zone. We could be a dominate team the way we get to the red zone. We just need to put the points up.

Comment

Originally posted by MilitantDBFan
                              http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,...752310,00.html

I like the idea. Im glad someone else realizes that we do need another wide reciever. Mike Williams would be an ideal number one for us when rod smith retires. Im all for it. It probably would take Pryce another first day draft pick and probably another future first day draft pick. But these are the type of bold moves that can turn around the fortune of franchises.

What do you think. Do we risk the depth and potential that the draft brings to trade for a gamebreaker in Mike Williams, when we have issues along the defensive? Im prepraed to only add one or two defensive line through the draft.

Browns
                              Dolphins
                              Titans
                              Vikings
                              Lions
                              Cowboys
                              Texans

I would say the dolphins are our best shot to move up. They only have one first day draft choice. Falling down to 25 still lets them address their oline needs only thing is they just signed two defensive ends and are moving to the 34 defense.
                              There is no way we could afford the guy
                              Rebuilding sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by rich5368
                                There is no way we could afford the guy
                                no comment

Comment

Working...
                                X