DenverPost Suggests We move Up to Grab Mike Willams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TXBRONC
    But Williams doesn't SOLVE our needs of defense and that is where the problem is. Are going line Mike Williams up at DE or DT? Me thinks not.
    who solves our needs on defense. I can only name 3 defensive lineman that have come in and turn the league upside down in recent memory. Peppers, Freeney and Kevin Williams. There are no players anywhere near the caliber of those.

Our offense did not help the defense in the colts game in either year. The defense got stops early in the game and offense couldnt move past the 50 only ONE TIME. We converted 25%. 3 out of 12 3rd down conversions. Against a defense that was good at only creating turnovers. Everyone knew that in order to beat the colts you have to keep the ball OUT of THEIR hands. IN OURS and we couldnt do it. How many 3 and outs did we have that game.

People look at the score and say the defense played horribly. But if we score on the first or second possesion after the colts had been stopped twice, its a ball game the whole way through. The bottom line is we can have 14 straight defensive stops but if we cant get the ball in the endzone ourselves whats the point.
    A Wise Man Once Told Me Dont Argue With Fools Cuz People From a Distance Cant Tell Who is Who

Comment

Originally posted by urinal_cake
      I agree about Miami. I think the Phins are going to want to trade down for more picks, especially since they're sort of rebuilding and only have 2 or 3 picks in this year's draft.™
      Sure the Fish would like to move down a bit -- but probably not all the way to #25! In addition, they have the #2 pick of the draft! NO WAY IN HELL we're getting that!

Not even for ALL our draft picks combined, plus Trevor Pryce and Droughens thrown in for good measure!

They could trade down to somewhere in the top 10 (assuming someone really wanted Cedric Benson, Alex Smith or Braylon Edwards, say) and needed to move up a few places to get them.

You'll see them try to move down for some draft extra picks, but the Broncos WON'T be any part of their considerations.

You people need to get a grip on reality! Last year the Giants gave up their #1, plus a #1 THIS year, just to move up 4 places to get Manning!

That gives you some idea what those top draft picks are worth!
      Last edited by Cugel; 03-09-2005, 02:47 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

If there would be some way the Broncos could trade up to pick up Mike Williams, I'd definitely be behind them 100%. I agree that I think we should be looking towards the future and not right now. Otherwise we are going to be in a real world of hurt when Rod Smith retires (which I predict will be after this season).

I mean look at the wide receiver core in the nfl. IF Williams would be the most unstoppable wide receiver since Randy Moss, what do you think a guy like that could do on our offense? Which I feel is already performing beyond its caliber. And I too agree that our defense is already better than it was last year with Gold coming back and the signing of Warren. I mean there is no big named DE's left in free agency, and I could see us using a 2nd round pick on one in the draft.

Go Mikey! Doesn't hurt to try.

Comment

Originally posted by MilitantDBFan
          who solves our needs on defense. I can only name 3 defensive lineman that have come in and turn the league upside down in recent memory. Peppers, Freeney and Kevin Williams. There are no players anywhere near the caliber of those.

Our offense did not help the defense in the colts game in either year. The defense got stops early in the game and offense couldnt move past the 50 only ONE TIME. We converted 25%. 3 out of 12 3rd down conversions. Against a defense that was good at only creating turnovers. Everyone knew that in order to beat the colts you have to keep the ball OUT of THEIR hands. IN OURS and we couldnt do it. How many 3 and outs did we have that game.

People look at the score and say the defense played horribly. But if we score on the first or second possesion after the colts had been stopped twice, its a ball game the whole way through. The bottom line is we can have 14 straight defensive stops but if we cant get the ball in the endzone ourselves whats the point.
          Point is our defense didn't get the stops and didn't create turnovers. We have done poor job of doing that for three years running. Right now its the defense that needs the most attention. Also whoever said we need d-line that set League on fire? I sure didn't.

What's the point? You get fourteen stops that's fourteen less opporunities Manning has to carve up your defense. Fact is we didn't because defensively we couldn't match up and the got up on early with their offense.

Giving up your entire draft for one player is bad buisness that is fact. It didn't work for Minnesota when they traded all their pick for Hershel Walker and didn't for the Saints. It just terrible move. I like Mike Williams would love to have him but not at the expense of overlooking ever other need, its just plain foolish.
          John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRONC
            Point is our defense didn't get the stops and didn't create turnovers. We have done poor job of doing that for three years running. Right now its the defense that needs the most attention. Also whoever said we need d-line that set League on fire? I sure didn't.

What's the point? You get fourteen stops that's fourteen less opporunities Manning has to carve up your defense. Fact is we didn't because defensively we couldn't match up and the got up on early with their offense.

Giving up your entire draft for one player is bad buisness that is fact. It didn't work for Minnesota when they traded all their pick for Hershel Walker and didn't for the Saints. It just terrible move. I like Mike Williams would love to have him but not at the expense of overlooking ever other need, its just plain foolish.
            The difference is those teams were building.Out of contention. We are not building. We are completing a team. Mike Williams is a once in a lifetime TYPE of player. Im not saying he will be jerry rice or randy moss for that fact. Im saying he is exactly what our team needs. MORE than a defensive lineman. The best defensive lineman in this draft is not better than Mike Williams. 30 tdz in two seasons. Those teams needed those players to build around. Mike Williams will not be asked to go out and get 1000 yards. dont take my word for it though.
            A Wise Man Once Told Me Dont Argue With Fools Cuz People From a Distance Cant Tell Who is Who

Comment

Notre Dame defensive coordinator Kent Baer: "He's got deceptive speed. He's a long-strider and you don't realize he's faster than most receivers...The only thing that jumps out how to defend him is to try to keep two guys on him. But is there anything physically we can do? Not really."

California defensive coordinator Bob Gregory: "He causes huge, major problems...It's not like you can just tell a corner to go and cover him. Because of how big he is, you can't do much on him one-on-one. And if you put another guy on him, your run defense suffers because you take a guy out of the box."

Jim Rhode, Los Angeles Times: "Mike Williams is college football's best receiver...Williams does it all. He catches balls long, short and in between, working the sideline and over the middle as well. He hauls in seemingly unreachable passes like Go-Go Gadget, drags defenders around like Ben-Hur, serves as a defender magnet so others can steal away against single coverage and provides a security blanket for Leinart."

Dan Pompei, The Sporting News: "Mike Williams is a very special player...What makes Williams unique is he has a power forward's body but can make plays like a point guard. His hands are exceptional. There really isn't anyone like him in the NFL. Never has been. He will be a physical mismatch for every defender he plays against. He will make catches when he is covered. He will be an extraordinary weapon in the red zone and a playmaker over the middle....Because he can adjust to the throw and catch the ball away from his body, the window he provides a quarterback to throw to is closer to the size of a glass partition."

Former USC Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Carson Palmer: "Mike is a tremendous talent. He's real mature. He's the type of guy who makes quarterbacks look real good. I know that all I had to do was put it up there and he was going to go get it."

Steve Bisheff, Orange County Register: "Williams...is the best college football player I've seen in several years...He is a 6-foot-5, 230-pound leaping, twisting freak of nature. If he is not as fast as Randy Moss, he is bigger and stronger. He has soft, Marvin Harrison-like hands and runs like a halfback after the catch. Williams is Terrell Owens without the attitude or the silly end zone gyrations...This guy is a football player, not just a pass catcher...He makes every opposing defense alter its scheme

Comment

What i said, he said, has been said before, just keep doing your thing he said, say no more.

Comment

Originally posted by MilitantDBFan
                  The difference is those teams were building.Out of contention. We are not building. We are completing a team. Mike Williams is a once in a lifetime TYPE of player. Im not saying he will be jerry rice or randy moss for that fact. Im saying he is exactly what our team needs. MORE than a defensive lineman. The best defensive lineman in this draft is not better than Mike Williams. 30 tdz in two seasons. Those teams needed those players to build around. Mike Williams will not be asked to go out and get 1000 yards. dont take my word for it though.

Mili, I respect your point of view but I'm just not convienced your right. From what I have seen there is not set of circumstance that I see this a viable option. I don't want to end up getting into war of words with, we just don't agree and maybe its better if we leave it at that.
                  John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Hey, if we get into some position to nab Mike Williams, we better. He's a great receiver and physical one, the type we need right now. Our defense is pretty much fine, and I'm sure we could find a defensive-tackle or two in the later rounds.

I'm more for us getting a defensive tackle, but if Mike Williams is there we'd be stupid not to take him.

"When Kepler found his long-cherished belief did not agree with the most precise observation, he accepted the uncomfortable fact. He preferred the hard truth to his dearest illusions; that is the heart of science."
                    - Carl Sagan

Comment

i don't really know one way or the other, but tell me this wouldn't be fun to watch for the next few years:

Ashley Lelie - 6'3" 200lbs.
                      Darius Watts - 6'2" 188lbs.
                      Mike Williams - 6'5" 230lbs.

those are 3 big fockers who could do some serious damage.
                      "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Comment

I'm not sure about the darius #2 big focker.. will he gain weight?
                        R.I.P. Darrent Williams

R.I.P. Damien Nash

Comment

Originally posted by LoufromLItt.
                          I'm not sure about the darius #2 big focker.. will he gain weight?
                          i hope so. if he can get to 200lbs. without losing too much speed, those three would be a hell of a trio.

all three are tall, have long-azz arms, and can jump like maniacs.
                          "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by LoufromLItt.
                            You people wanna know how the pats and eagles and colts win? They score in the red zone when we don't, plain and simple.
                            Uh...yeah...and that's why the pats tagged their kicker.....
                            "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                            tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                            men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

I didnt realize that no one else thought we need another WR. We do in a way, but in a way we dont. I dunno, I think its gonna come down to whos available when we get our shot.

Comment

If he is open or the trade is right I think Shanny will grab him in a heart beat

^^^^^^^^^^
                                made by Snk16

Comment

Working...
                                X