No announcement yet.

DenverPost Suggests We move Up to Grab Mike Willams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We can argue this point till the cows come home.........whatever........who in their right mind would trade for our draft pick.....we would really have to GIVE a lot for someone like Williams.......if he was there within our range, then yeah, go for him, but he's not.......and didn't someone say that we couldn't get past the 50 yd. line in the first half against the Ravens.......why? Because of Defense? .....tough question I quess.......we have goood receivers and they are getting better each year(AL) and a tight end would be nice(Putizer (sp) has some good potential, but we still need help on defense
    "Go away kid, you bother me"....W.C. Fields

Comment

The cost is way to high if not darn near impossible. Just to have the chance to get him we would either have to trade up to the number seven slot with Vikings who are dead set on getting him or trade up past them. Either way trading all your other picks away just for one guy just isn't a very wise move imho.
      John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRONC
        The cost is way to high if not darn near impossible. Just to have the chance to get him we would either have to trade up to the number seven slot with Vikings who are dead set on getting him or trade up past them. Either way trading all your other picks away just for one guy just isn't a very wise move imho.
        I think that any move is risky. I dont see any moves being made to elevate this team to a championship. I understand playing it safe, but our record reflects all the safe moves weve made. We havent fell off with a huge mistake and we havent made a serious run with a gamble that paid off.

Comment

Originally posted by bleedbluorange
          I think that any move is risky. I dont see any moves being made to elevate this team to a championship. I understand playing it safe, but our record reflects all the safe moves weve made. We havent fell off with a huge mistake and we havent made a serious run with a gamble that paid off.
          True any move is a risk. But some moves carry a higher degree of risk than others. Only two times I seen a move like this made the only team that benefited from it was the team that received all the additonal picks.

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRONC
            True any move is a risk. But some moves carry a higher degree of risk than others. Only two times I seen a move like this made the only team that benefited from it was the team that received all the additonal picks.
            I'm just ready for us to be serious contenders. For that to happen we need a dynamic player on offense. I dont know if Mike Williams is that guy, but I understand the need to score in the red zone. I happen to think that is just a big a problem as the defensive line. I mean we were among the worst in the red zone. We got there so many times and came up short. If we scored more that would help the defense. Those of you that dont see the problems on offense and think that our offense is just fine, just dont see what I see.

I understand defenive line should be the focus. We have ignored that area for years. We also need a playmaker in the redzone to be contenders.

Comment

I'm just ready for us to be serious contenders. For that to happen we need a dynamic player on offense. I dont know if Mike Williams is that guy, but I understand the need to score in the red zone. I happen to think that is just a big a problem as the defensive line. I mean we were among the worst in the red zone. We got there so many times and came up short. If we scored more that would help the defense. Those of you that dont see the problems on offense and think that our offense is just fine, just dont see what I see.

I understand defenive line should be the focus. We have ignored that area for years. We also need a playmaker in the redzone to be contenders.

I have no problem with this point of view. Red zone production is obviously a key aspect to winning.

I just think we have the players already. If you line up Quentin Griffin and Tatum Bell in the backfield, then you have two players that are extremely fast that can do screen passes, slants, or draws to any side of the field. That will stretch a defense.

With the defense stretched, you can have Plummer QB sneak or scramble around. You have Rod doing his out and in routes. Lelie should be our fade guy, though we always try to do the fade to Smith. Lelie has an extreme vertical leap and good hands, why we don't utilize him more, I do not know.

Putzier has the speed to exploit a spread defense, but we seldom call his number in the red zone.

I place the red zone issues on play calling. Shanahan always seems to call an offtackle play or a bootleg. Teams are ready for that. He needs to spread out the defense and actually allow Putzier to be a focus in the endzone exploiting LBs. He should also call a few sweeps or screens, something to mix up the defense now and then. But, I won't lay it all on Mike, Plummer has to make good decisions when he's allowed to pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
                I have no problem with this point of view. Red zone production is obviously a key aspect to winning.

I just think we have the players already. If you line up Quentin Griffin and Tatum Bell in the backfield, then you have two players that are extremely fast that can do screen passes, slants, or draws to any side of the field. That will stretch a defense.

With the defense stretched, you can have Plummer QB sneak or scramble around. You have Rod doing his out and in routes. Lelie should be our fade guy, though we always try to do the fade to Smith. Lelie has an extreme vertical leap and good hands, why we don't utilize him more, I do not know.

Putzier has the speed to exploit a spread defense, but we seldom call his number in the red zone.

I place the red zone issues on play calling. Shanahan always seems to call an offtackle play or a bootleg. Teams are ready for that. He needs to spread out the defense and actually allow Putzier to be a focus in the endzone exploiting LBs. He should also call a few sweeps or screens, something to mix up the defense now and then. But, I won't lay it all on Mike, Plummer has to make good decisions when he's allowed to pass.
                I dont like the playcalling in the redzone. It's hard to say what to do, I just know scoring in the redzone has got to be an issue. It also needs to be addressed. Whether it's play calling or personel.

Comment

Its called getting some beef on the O line that can actually push the line, instead of falling backwards into the rb/qb.
                  Denver needs another (or 2) 300+lb'er.
                  That will help in both short yardage AND redzone efficiencies.....
                  "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                  tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                  men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cuuda
                    We can argue this point till the cows come home.........whatever........who in their right mind would trade for our draft pick.....we would really have to GIVE a lot for someone like Williams.......if he was there within our range, then yeah, go for him, but he's not.......
                    Finally! Somone with some intelligence says the OBVIOUS!

This C*** will NEVER in a million years happen. So, honestly why speculate about such ridiculous scenarios! I posted what the ACTUAL trade values of the top draft pick we're talking about earlier in this thread, but no-one seems to want to bother to actually THINK about that! Much easier to live in a world of PRETEND.

"What if we could get the Colts to trade Peyton Manning for our #1 pick + Trevor Pryce and maybe throw in a #1 or #2 next year. Wouldn't that be great?"
                    "No, because we don't need a QB, Plummer's OK, we need help on the DL and we need the draft picks."
                    "Yes, but Manning's would really be great in our offense, it'd be worth it!"

That's about the reality level of this discussion! Take some idiotic fantasy and pretend it has real world significance.

A top 5-7 pick in the draft (because that's what it would take to be sure you got Williams) is worth more than the ENTIRE BRONCOS DRAFT PLUS TREVOR PRYCE!

Will Shanahan trade all his picks in 2005 (plus maybe some in 2006) for the chance to draft Mike Williams?

NO!

Will some team trade the #7 pick (or so) for the #25 plus Trevor Pryce (& even the entire rest of the Broncos draft picks thrown in).

NO!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan

As I was reading the post few posts I pretty much camer to teh same conclusion that we already have play makers on the team.

Last year Q was out, tater had not really stepped up because of injury- being a rookie, whatever. Putz just got started late in the year, our O line finally became a unit towards the tail end of the season. Most of the receivers excepting Rod now have an extra years exprience under their belts.

I don't see the urgency that everyone else does.

Someone mention he was ready to become a championship team and was willing to do whatever necessary to do that. Pssst Mikey is also, but he does have some constraints placed on him. If not for the restraints, the ultra rich teams would have all the talent on them and would buy the super bowl every year. Danny boy, Jerry and Al are all trying to do that, but have yet to accomplish it.

Comment

You'll get no arguement from about wanting us to be a serious contender, I'm always up for that. More than anything BBO I just think it would terrible decision to trade every pick we have for one guy. I think Mike Williams has the potential to be great but if no other need is addressed what good does it really do us? The Chiefs have great offense and no defense, how far has that gotten them?

I totally agree we should address that need, just not at the expense of everything else. Historically its not a wise move.

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel

This C*** will NEVER in a million years happen. So, honestly why speculate about such ridiculous scenarios! I posted what the ACTUAL trade values of the top draft pick we're talking about earlier in this thread, but no-one seems to want to bother to actually THINK about that! Much easier to live in a world of PRETEND.

"What if we could get the Colts to trade Peyton Manning for our #1 pick + Trevor Pryce and maybe throw in a #1 or #2 next year. Wouldn't that be great?"
                          "No, because we don't need a QB, Plummer's OK, we need help on the DL and we need the draft picks."

That's about the reality level of this discussion! Take some idiotic fantasy and pretend it has real world significance.

A top 5-7 pick in the draft (because that's what it would take to be sure you got Williams) is worth more than the ENTIRE BRONCOS DRAFT PLUS TREVOR PRYCE!

Will Shanahan trade all his picks in 2005 (plus maybe some in 2006) for the chance to draft Mike Williams?

NO!

Will some team trade the #7 pick (or so) for the #25 plus Trevor Pryce (& even the entire rest of the Broncos draft picks thrown in).

NO!

The kiddies that live in lala land and play madden all day will never get it. Reality to them is the two SB rings and they will never understand why it can't happen all the time.

Great eye opening post hope some of the clowns will read it, understand it, will stop the nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel

NO!

NO!

The whole notion came from a article in a paper. My position is if the scenerio that the writer came up with could work, then look in to it. I wouldnt want to give up every pick to get him. I think that everyone that says all we have to do is switch up the play calling is wrong. I think we do need a player that is unstoppable in the red zone or third down.

Not that we can creep into the top ten picks through a trade, but the value at the top of the draft isnt that great. I think it's highly likely that teams will be willing to trade out of the top spots. At what cost I dont know. I do know that san francisco is screwed unless they trade out of the number one pick. There few players at the top of the draft the are really coveted by a team.

Comment

Originally posted by MilitantDBFan
                              Mike Williams impact>>>>>>>>>>>Marcus Spears impact.

Williams will be the most unstoppable receiver to enter the NFL since Randy Moss.

At a time when league rules have never been so stacked in favor of offense, Denver is trying to win with defense. Go figure.
                              New England won three of the last four Superbowls using primarily their defense. Go figure.
                              You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!sigpic

Comment

A couple of things.

They don't use Putzier in the redzone for a couple of reasons, but the main reason is his blocking skills--he really has none. He recently stated himself in an article that at Boise State he never blocked at all. So in the redzone, they tend to bring in the solid blockers, Carswell and Hape. The signing of the new tight ends coach is a good thing because he sees star caliber material in our young tight end, however, Putz will have to overcome some of his physical limitations this year (article said Sharpe did the same thing, blocked creatively instead of with strength) if he will be a legitimate redzone target.

Everyone says defensive line. Defensive line. Well it seems it's being addressed on some level. Still, look at another thread on a similar subject. In the playoffs, in six drives we scored three points. If we could have held in better, had someone to help us control the clock, then that would be less time for Peyton to expose Roc Alexander. We've got potential, we had a solid D all year, we're addressing the line, but we're not addressing the fact that we score field goals and not touch downs. We will not win until we score. That simple.

Comment

Working...
                                X