Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We're getting two third rounders in compensation!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Jared
    I am actually thinking that they would need to package some of the picks with Pryce to get anything of value. I think I'd rather keep the picks and cut Pryce (so sad, but it economics) at this point.
    Heck yah keep the picks. Its not often that you get four first day picks in a draft. I do hope that doesn't come to cutting Pryce. If it comes to that, I would feel bad.
    John 11: 25-27

    My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams



    Thanks Snk16

    Comment


    • #17
      comp picks

      GREAT news for a careful offseason! but...

      imagine the threads of suggestions that this will bring. 4 picks on day 1, that's enough to get some of us down right looney with our reality. Before we know it we'll be drafting M. Spears, B. Pool, V. Jackson and Evan Mathis. Of course they'll be secured for our picks....right?

      but truly, that is great news about the TWO comp picks. Really does bring some much needed flexibility.

      Comment


      • #18
        That kicks maddd ass. We got stripped of a third and got two back. SWEET!
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Conde
          That's great news. Maybe if we are lucky, we can draft Matt Jones out of AK to be a WR/TE for us. I think he'll be a star in the NFL.
          I think he goes in the middle of the third, probably to a team who has been known for taking risks in the draft before.

          #25, #56 and the #97 and #101 picks.

          I think we're in good company.

          I'm still firm on us going defensive line in round one, unless Brown falls to us or maybe even a guy like Williamson if he would slip that far. If we did move up; that'd change our whole draft for sure.

          I'm still high on Chris Spencer from Ole Miss in the second round; but if a receiver like Chris Henry (who could fall like Starks did because of an attitude/maturity problem) would fall down to that slot, I say we take him immediately. I have a feeling that this is Rod's last year and with only Lelie to "bank" on -- taking another WR for Smith to help groom while he's on his way out of Denver would be a wise idea, plus this draft is loaded with depth anyways -- so we could wait until #97 or #101 for a WR as well.

          With the two third rounders, I'm pretty much open for whatever happens.

          Just don't blow it.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Broncology
            I think he goes in the middle of the third, probably to a team who has been known for taking risks in the draft before.

            #25, #56 and the #97 and #101 picks.

            I think we're in good company.

            I'm still firm on us going defensive line in round one, unless Brown falls to us or maybe even a guy like Williamson if he would slip that far. If we did move up; that'd change our whole draft for sure.

            I'm still high on Chris Spencer from Ole Miss in the second round; but if a receiver like Chris Henry (who could fall like Starks did because of an attitude/maturity problem) would fall down to that slot, I say we take him immediately. I have a feeling that this is Rod's last year and with only Lelie to "bank" on -- taking another WR for Smith to help groom while he's on his way out of Denver would be a wise idea, plus this draft is loaded with depth anyways -- so we could wait until #97 or #101 for a WR as well.

            With the two third rounders, I'm pretty much open for whatever happens.

            Just don't blow it.
            You know Bronc, we are on the same page on a lot of things. Personally, I hope that we are able to nab Troy Williamson. Yes, I know our defensive line is in need, but their is enough depth to find a quality player in the second round because somebody will drop. You just can't pass up on the next Chad Johnson, and with Lelie and a hopefully devloped Watts, they would make for an explosive, gamebreaking, threat-to-score-on-every-touch trio at the wide reciever position for years to come.

            Comment


            • #21
              So, we got 2 of the 6 third round picks that were awarded. Sweet.

              You know, we might get similar picks next year because of our free agent losses of Reggie Hayward and Kenoy Kennedy. Hayward should be a 3rd rounder, Kennedy probably about a 4th. And we might even get something for Spragan. But I'm not sure if we can get anything for Herndon since we had the option of matching the Seahawks' offer.
              "You can't take the sky from me..."
              ------
              "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

              Comment


              • #22
                The thing is with these 2 extra picks, we have a great variety of selection with the mid round players. Whats different with this draft and so many others is that there arent many gamebreaker/franchise players as compared to last year or any other. Good thing is that there are ALOT of players who can provide great depth and solid starters. This year is especially good for centers, although we have Hamilton filling in for Nalen. This is probably the best news all offseason and we have the chance to pick up several sleepers.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by OhNoKoolAid
                  I thought you couldn't trade compensatory picks, but I'm not sure. if you mean we can move up because of our first day stability of two stable picks, then yes I agree with that.

                  Whoops. Did not know that but that makes complete sense. That means our only way of moving up is our 2nd round pick then. Bleh, just keep the picks and make smart choices.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Compensatory Picks Announced

                    http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8314712

                    "KAPALUA, Hawaii (AP) Philadelphia and St. Louis will get four compensatory picks in next months' NFL draft and Carolina, New England and San Francisco will get three each among the 32 extra choices mandated by the league's labor agreement.

                    A total of 14 teams will get extra selections in the third through seventh rounds, based on the value of the free agents they lost in 2004.

                    The Titans, who lost defensive linemen Jevon Kearse to Philadelphia and Robaire Smith to Houston, will get the first of the choices, 96th overall at the end of the third round. Denver will get two compensatory choices in that round, 97th and 101st. Seattle, Kansas City and New England also will get third-rounders.

                    The number of picks a team receives and the rounds they come in are based on a formula that takes into account salary, playing time and postseason honors by players they lost. The maximum any one team can get is four picks."

                    2 extra picks for us...97th, and 101st...

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
                      Whoops. Did not know that but that makes complete sense. That means our only way of moving up is our 2nd round pick then. Bleh, just keep the picks and make smart choices.
                      I agree, this also gves us the chance to make the correct teammate tandem selection that we failed on two years ago. Mathis and Britt, should they fall, and Britt more so than Mathis because of his injury history, could anchor the right side of the Denver line starting in 2006, and hopefully for years to come. Alabama tends to produce athletes on the offensive line, and two recent players, Justin Smiley and Alonzo Ephraim do just that, or in Ephraim's case, could do. I have a feeling that Mathis won't last beyond the early third, simply because of his workout at the combine.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Sweet!!

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          For all those suggesting packaging our new found picks to move up, you cannot trade compensatory picks. It would be nice though.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by OhNoKoolAid
                            I agree, this also gves us the chance to make the correct teammate tandem selection that we failed on two years ago. Mathis and Britt, should they fall, and Britt more so than Mathis because of his injury history, could anchor the right side of the Denver line starting in 2006, and hopefully for years to come. Alabama tends to produce athletes on the offensive line, and two recent players, Justin Smiley and Alonzo Ephraim do just that, or in Ephraim's case, could do. I have a feeling that Mathis won't last beyond the early third, simply because of his workout at the combine.
                            I'm on the Britt bandwagon, but he's been getting some serious play lately from NFL teams. He is definitely the sleeper OT that could go anywhere from the end of the 1st (unlikely) to somewhere in the 3rd (likely). When he was healthy, he was considered one of the best in the nation.

                            3/14/2005
                            If you look up the word “snakebit” in the dictionary, Alabama OT Wesley Britt might be pictured. Earlier in his career, Britt looked like he was going to be a top 5 pick. He was tall, angular with good mobility and a tenacious run blocker. His coaches raved about his work ethic. The problem with Britt has been his struggles with injuries. After having an All American caliber season in 2003, he broke his leg against Tennessee. He came back last year, but struggled with a bunch of minor injuries that impacted his mobility. He needs work, but he is a tough kid with a great frame who needs to gain weight. Given some time with a good pro coach, he is a rare 3rd round prospect who could become a very good left tackle.
                            Mathis likely won't slip to the end of the 3rd if even out of the 2nd, but Scott Young should and he and Mathis have a ton in common, but Young is stronger (43 reps, insane, and long arms to match his 4.9 40). Mike Munoz might slip this far as well though unlikely. I still think the need is a future RT who can play RG this season.

                            WRs that might warrant a look are Larry Brackins, Courtney Roby and Fred Gibson.

                            D-linemen I have my eye on are Swancutt, Canty (unlikely), Mosely, Bryant, and King.

                            A safety might work here like Considine or Underwood.

                            And finally, I predict we will draft P Dustin Colquitt now if he's still around with one of those 3rd round picks and end our punting problems.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              thats great news


                              Comment


                              • #30
                                If we could get Colquitt that would be great. We would gain an immediate improvement in field position which one of our biggest problems the last few years. If the Broncos can accomplish that and obtain a good D-end and a right guard, I would consider this draft a huge success.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X