Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We're getting two third rounders in compensation!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by urinal_cake
    There's Patrick Hape, but I really think that Matt Jones kid could make a very good prospect...™
    Didn't I read in one of the articles on page 1 of this site, where they thought Hape/Leach would start to be more involved in the offense?????
    But I wouldn't mind a young TE to groom....maybe in the later rounds.....or just make BVP the next TE.
    Last edited by rcsodak; 03-22-2005, 12:04 PM.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
    tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
    men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

Drafting a backup TE is kind of pointless when you have a young starter locked up long term as we do. There are so many veteran TEs on the market each offseason that can be had for dirt cheap, I dont think it makes much sense. With the FA pool you can sign a proven blocker type or pass catching type as needed for virtually pennies.

We cut Weaver and Chamberlain last offseason in large part due to Mike Leach's ability as an actual playing TE. It was brought up again this offseason that Leach will be given a larger role in the offense because he has talent.

I expect Hape to be resigned as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Black59Razor
        DP, on a side-note, I think Mizzou will eventually wind up with Gary Barnett as their HC....he is an alumn there, and CU is gonna eventually run him outa here...but he is a good coach....anyone that could rebuild that Northwestern program and get them to the Rose Bowl can flat-out Coach...and the fact CU won the North last year was amazing considering what they have been through....but, sadly, his head is next on the blcok up here...he deserves better than how he has been treated by the liberal-tpes up at CU that HATE the football program...

I like Sessay, but he probably goes in the fifth, just due to his physical qualities...
        Anybody with any type of success and willingness to adjust will be more welcomed in Columbia. Barnett is a very good coach and I would love to see him turn MU around like he did Colorado. Pinkel is stubborn and bull headed, much like Jim O'Brien, coach of my beloved Philadelphia 76ers. If he would just make adjustments to his personnel, let go of the riegns he has on Brad Smith and run a Run & Gun Offense Missouri would be alot better. I think Pinkel has one more year before he is actually run off the campus.

On Sesay, I agree, he'll probably go in the Round 5-7 range, but I wouldn't be surprised if he went undrafted simply due to all of the other TE candidates that should be availabe through Rounds 4 or 5.

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
          I think we still have a need at tight end. Putzier is our only serious receiving threat. Our depth at tight end sucks. Carswell is getting older and his weight and age will catch up with him sooner or later. Hape is nice for a surprise but is not a regular target. Leach is our long snapper and that's about it. We need depth and I definitely wouldn't mind getting somebody here with our 2nd or 3rd rounders.
          I totally agree we do need more depth at TE. Carswell's primary strength has always been his blocking, he's an ok receiver but he has never been able to stretch the seem like Putzier can. And as you said with getting up there in age and weight we seriously need more depth behind Putzier.
          John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
            Drafting a backup TE is kind of pointless when you have a young starter locked up long term as we do. There are so many veteran TEs on the market each offseason that can be had for dirt cheap, I dont think it makes much sense. With the FA pool you can sign a proven blocker type or pass catching type as needed for virtually pennies.

We cut Weaver and Chamberlain last offseason in large part due to Mike Leach's ability as an actual playing TE. It was brought up again this offseason that Leach will be given a larger role in the offense because he has talent.

I expect Hape to be resigned as well.
            Neither Hape nor Leach are exactly receiving threats or their abilities would have surfaced by now. Hape had an astounding 8 receptions last year, and a miniscule 51 over his 8 year career. Leach has exactly 0 receptions over his 5 year career and is a bit undersized, in my opinion, for a blocking tight end. I wouldn't want to plan on either guy being a reliable blocking/receiving tight end.

But the Broncos have generally had, and succeeded with, tight ends that can be reliable receivers even if their primary roles are as blockers. Carswell is approaching the end of his career and we don't have a decent replacement that I'm aware of. The Broncos like to run a decent number of two tight end sets and our lack of depth is going to start hurting us there.

If you think the Broncos should get a tight end through free agency, then they'd better get off their butts and get one now, if there are any decent ones left. If Putz goes down, we're screwed. Even if we don't use a first day pick on a tight end, I really want a decent tight end prospect somewhere in the draft.
            "You can't take the sky from me..."
            ------
            "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Neither Hape nor Leach are exactly receiving threats or their abilities would have surfaced by now. Hape had an astounding 8 receptions last year, and a miniscule 51 over his 8 year career. Leach has exactly 0 receptions over his 5 year career and is a bit undersized, in my opinion, for a blocking tight end. I wouldn't want to plan on either guy being a reliable blocking/receiving tight end.

But the Broncos have generally had, and succeeded with, tight ends that can be reliable receivers even if their primary roles are as blockers. Carswell is approaching the end of his career and we don't have a decent replacement that I'm aware of. The Broncos like to run a decent number of two tight end sets and our lack of depth is going to start hurting us there.

If you think the Broncos should get a tight end through free agency, then they'd better get off their butts and get one now, if there are any decent ones left. If Putz goes down, we're screwed. Even if we don't use a first day pick on a tight end, I really want a decent tight end prospect somewhere in the draft.

There are two I believe: Stephen Alexander and Ken Dilger

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRONC
                I totally agree we do need more depth at TE. Carswell's primary strength has always been his blocking, he's an ok receiver but he has never been able to stretch the seem like Putzier can. And as you said with getting up there in age and weight we seriously need more depth behind Putzier.
                Actually, I wouldn't mind a Carswell clone. Putz is the downfield tight end but Carswell is a reliable short range receiving threat. Dwayne has been a great blocking tight end that can still get you a couple receptions when needed. He's a good complement to the more receiving type of tight end. As Carswell fades away, there's nobody currently on the roster who is likely to be an effective replacement.
                "You can't take the sky from me..."
                ------
                "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Actually, I wouldn't mind a Carswell clone. Putz is the downfield tight end but Carswell is a reliable short range receiving threat. Dwayne has been a great blocking tight end that can still get you a couple receptions when needed. He's a good complement to the more receiving type of tight end. As Carswell fades away, there's nobody currently on the roster who is likely to be an effective replacement.
                  That makes sense to me.

As long as still have Carswell at TE I hope he'll trim back down to his natural playing weight, which if I'm not mistaken is around 260 lbs.

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Yes but unless one of the stud TE falls to 101 we have a lot higher priorities to fill.

Besides name one TE from DEN that was higher than a 5 round choice. We are a TE-RB-LB-S, o-line factory. Just have not done so well with CB-WR-QB-DL-DL-DL-DL.

Comment

That makes sense to me.

As long as still have Carswell at TE I hope he'll trim back down to his natural playing weight, which if I'm not mistaken is around 260 lbs.

Last I heard he was slated for OT again, filling in on the goal line as tackle-fullback-TE eligible.

Comment

Originally posted by Jrhampton
                        Yes but unless one of the stud TE falls to 101 we have a lot higher priorities to fill.

Besides name one TE from DEN that was higher than a 5 round choice. We are a TE-RB-LB-S, o-line factory. Just have not done so well with CB-WR-QB-DL-DL-DL-DL.
                        It doesn't have to be a stud TE. Also there is free agency, I believe Alexander is still available.

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
                          Hey dude, are we allowed to enjoy ourselves and have fun on this forum or not? My God, apparently you consider speculating and having fun banter between fans is a crime. Are you the grinch or what.
                          Not a crime at all just a waste of time because Mikey does what mikey does. Nobody has guessed correctly yet.
                          BTW, thats is what they call me the grinch on draft day!

Comment

It doesn't have to be a stud TE. Also there is free agency, I believe Alexander is still available.

Why waste the cap room we have developed more TE than carter has liver pills.
                            Sharpe, carswell, miller, clark, Chamberlain, PUTZ. Over the last 10-15 years none a high draft choice. No need to draft high either.

Comment

Originally posted by Jrhampton
                              Why waste the cap room we have developed more TE than carter has liver pills.
                              Sharpe, carswell, miller, clark, Chamberlain, PUTZ. Over the last 10-15 years none a high draft choice. No need to draft high either.
                              Alright who do we have behind Putzier? If the Broncos move Carswell back to tackle whose left? Al we have left is Hape. Leach has never caught pass in his career and is LS. Its rather thin. So getting one more TE either by drafting or free agency isn't a bad idea imho.

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Don't worry, TX, we have those 2 young TE's we picked this offseason, pinkard and i can't remember the other guy's name. They'll be a good injection of youth.

I like my defensive tackles like I like my women: well over 300 lbs.
                                ABWRFRC

Comment

Working...
                                X