Farve to Denver??? (merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farve to Denver??? (merged)

Check out this article in the Rocky Mountain News: http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...606379,00.html

Dave Krieger
    April 8, 2006
    Just in case Mike Shanahan's suggestion box has any room left, let me pass this one on from a reader:
    The Broncos trade Jake Plummer and their two first-round draft picks (Nos. 15 and 22) to the Packers for Brett Favre and their first-round pick (No. 5).

With the fifth pick, Shanahan could presumably draft Jay Cutler or one of the other quarterbacks at the top of the draft, depending on how the first four choices shake out.

If you're trading for Favre, you probably want to use that pick to get a young quarterback because Favre keeps saying this will be his last year if he plays at all.

He also keeps saying he won't play anywhere but Green Bay.

He also keeps saying the Packers are a long way from being good.

He also keeps asking why he should return to a team that's a long way from being good.

All of which explains why he's having so much trouble making up his mind.

Which is why I think Shanahan could sell him on Denver if he tried. Favre would find life shockingly different with the Broncos. He wouldn't take the beating he takes in Green Bay, either physically or psychologically. If he devoted himself to learning the playbook, he would find himself suddenly in the thick of things again, the leader of a championship contender.

Broncos fans would greet him the way Avs fans greeted Ray Bourque. It's not every day you trade for a certain Hall of Famer.

Favre is only 36. A winning season in Denver in which he took relatively little punishment and rediscovered the thrill of the chase just might bring him back for another.

Meanwhile, the Broncos would be grooming their quarterback of the future - a blue-chip prospect seldom available to a contender. Cutler looks like the best fit. I keep hearing he may fall all the way to Arizona at No. 10, in which case the Broncos might pick up a little something extra to move back from No. 5.

I also hear he could go as high as No. 3, to Tennessee, but this is the time of year you have to start ignoring most things you hear. Did you notice, for example, how Shanahan mentioned the possibility of drafting Vince Young at the owners' meetings?

A comment like that, even punctuated with a laugh, can take on a life of its own.

If you Google Mike Shanahan and Vince Young, you generate that quote - "In fact, we're going to get Vince Young." Maybe Shanahan is actually interested. Or, maybe he'd just like people to think so.

Of course, if his man is gone at No. 5, defensive end Mario Williams might not be, in which case Shanahan might grab the best pass rusher in the draft and live with the confidence he's expressed in Bradlee Van Pelt as a backup to Favre.

From the Packers' perspective, the deal would solve more than one problem.

Favre is an icon in Green Bay. He has a street named after him. This annual dance of ambivalence about returning to an also-ran is a bit unsightly for everybody involved.

People say the Packers can't trade an icon, but even Packers fans are aware he threw 29 interceptions last year. The marriage is no longer working.

Plummer would allow the Packers to get younger at quarterback and still have an established NFL starter. The picks would give them two blue-chip prospects rather than one, and let's be honest - the Packers need as many blue-chip prospects as they can get.

I'm not going into the salary cap issues except to say that if all parties want to make it work, they can. Favre probably has to rework his contract. If he's thinking about walking away from it anyway, what does he have to lose?

He's the main hurdle, and money is probably the least of his issues. He's still searching for a good reason to return. But his assertion that he will play only for the Packers has been made in the absence of a good alternative.

If the Broncos were presented as a realistic option, and if Shanahan threw himself into selling it, I'm guessing it would start to look attractive to Favre pretty fast. It could reinvigorate his career, which the Packers cannot. Favre yearns not to pile up statistical records, which is about all he can do in Green Bay. Favre yearns to win. In Denver, he would join a 13-3 team accustomed to doing just that.

He would have at his disposal one of the NFL's best playbooks and some of its most expert coaching. The drawback, as he has said, would be starting over, learning a new system at his age.

Frankly, that shouldn't be much of a problem if the competitive fire still burns. All he has to do is study.

I'm just saying Shanahan could make a call. Maybe two.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trade both our 1st rounders and QB that took us to the AFC championchip game for a rookie and a geezer?

Don't get me wrong, Farve is great, but hes at the end, or at least extremely close to it, he wouldn't even have the playbook down before he retired. It seems even sports writers can be senseless Jake bashers....

I think this guy is Mtnman.

This guy is a knucklehead. A bonehead. A moron. This would make as much sense as giving Ryan Leaf a call and seeing if he wants to play again. I seriously cannot believe this guy has a job writing for a paper. Did you see his credentials? He even claimed to be a 4 year letterman at some Steamboat A&M and be the brother of one of the guitarists for the doors, although there is not any direct evidence proving any of it. What an idiot.

sigpic

Myself, Shawn (a chefs fan) and Mike on our way home from the Sand Trap in June '06. (Mildenhall AFB)

Comment

I think Favre and Jake are very similar QB's in style. Except Favre has a bigger gun.
      http://216.58.161.132/forums/showthread.php?p=497087#post497087

Above I will list all my predictions for the 2005 season.

Comment

Originally posted by rugbythug
        I think Favre and Jake are very similar QB's in style. Except Favre has a bigger gun.
        I would have LOVED Farve in his prime, but hes just about done. We might as well try to bring back other aging HOF (or future HOF) QBs, Montana comes to mind......

Comment

Give me a break....................

Ridiculous article.............. i have yet to be the least bit impressed by anything krieger has written.
          My blog : "A new machine" http://dgalemore.blogspot.com

R.I.P. Darrent Williams 1982-2007

Comment

wow-- i've never been particularly impressed with kreiger's intellligence (he's the ultimate light-weight of sports columnists), but this shows a previously undisclosed ability to spout sheer absolute nonsense. . .

the sports editor should be slapped for allowing such crap to be published!

if i tried to name the posters on this MB who could write a better article, i would exceed the character limit on posts. . .

way to embarass yourself yet again, kreiger!!

Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

I don't get people like this. It's like they want to see our team go into overhaul mode for the next few years just so they can see Plummer leave town.

Comment

Its safe to say the first time Favre is asked to run a bootleg to the left it'll be the end of the qtr before he even gets to the throwing motion. Denver needs mobile QB's in the system, regardless of who is behind center. Wouldn't matter if it was favre, manning P, or Brady, none would work in Denvers offense without a complete overhaul of the playbook.
                "On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high."
                Ayrton Senna..

Comment

I don't know where he gets off saying that Favre is a perfect fit for us, he is a great qb, but 29 int last year. That's exactly what shanny doesn't want in a qb.

Why would anyone in their right mind pay this loser?
                  "If you are going through hell...keep going." Winston Churchill

"If you aren't fired with enthusiasm, you'll be fired with enthusiasm." Vince Lombardi

Comment

Farve to Denver???

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...606379,00.html

This won't be a possibility depending on Favre's decision.
                    Here is the article:

April 8, 2006
                    Just in case Mike Shanahan's suggestion box has any room left, let me pass this one on from a reader:
                    The Broncos trade Jake Plummer and their two first-round draft picks (Nos. 15 and 22) to the Packers for Brett Favre and their first-round pick (No. 5).

With the fifth pick, Shanahan could presumably draft Jay Cutler or one of the other quarterbacks at the top of the draft, depending on how the first four choices shake out.

If you're trading for Favre, you probably want to use that pick to get a young quarterback because Favre keeps saying this will be his last year if he plays at all.

He also keeps saying he won't play anywhere but Green Bay.

He also keeps saying the Packers are a long way from being good.

He also keeps asking why he should return to a team that's a long way from being good.

All of which explains why he's having so much trouble making up his mind.

Which is why I think Shanahan could sell him on Denver if he tried. Favre would find life shockingly different with the Broncos. He wouldn't take the beating he takes in Green Bay, either physically or psychologically. If he devoted himself to learning the playbook, he would find himself suddenly in the thick of things again, the leader of a championship contender.

Broncos fans would greet him the way Avs fans greeted Ray Bourque. It's not every day you trade for a certain Hall of Famer.

Favre is only 36. A winning season in Denver in which he took relatively little punishment and rediscovered the thrill of the chase just might bring him back for another.

Meanwhile, the Broncos would be grooming their quarterback of the future - a blue-chip prospect seldom available to a contender. Cutler looks like the best fit. I keep hearing he may fall all the way to Arizona at No. 10, in which case the Broncos might pick up a little something extra to move back from No. 5.

I also hear he could go as high as No. 3, to Tennessee, but this is the time of year you have to start ignoring most things you hear. Did you notice, for example, how Shanahan mentioned the possibility of drafting Vince Young at the owners' meetings?

A comment like that, even punctuated with a laugh, can take on a life of its own.

If you Google Mike Shanahan and Vince Young, you generate that quote - "In fact, we're going to get Vince Young." Maybe Shanahan is actually interested. Or, maybe he'd just like people to think so.

Of course, if his man is gone at No. 5, defensive end Mario Williams might not be, in which case Shanahan might grab the best pass rusher in the draft and live with the confidence he's expressed in Bradlee Van Pelt as a backup to Favre.

From the Packers' perspective, the deal would solve more than one problem.

Favre is an icon in Green Bay. He has a street named after him. This annual dance of ambivalence about returning to an also-ran is a bit unsightly for everybody involved.

People say the Packers can't trade an icon, but even Packers fans are aware he threw 29 interceptions last year. The marriage is no longer working.

Plummer would allow the Packers to get younger at quarterback and still have an established NFL starter. The picks would give them two blue-chip prospects rather than one, and let's be honest - the Packers need as many blue-chip prospects as they can get.

I'm not going into the salary cap issues except to say that if all parties want to make it work, they can. Favre probably has to rework his contract. If he's thinking about walking away from it anyway, what does he have to lose?

He's the main hurdle, and money is probably the least of his issues. He's still searching for a good reason to return. But his assertion that he will play only for the Packers has been made in the absence of a good alternative.

If the Broncos were presented as a realistic option, and if Shanahan threw himself into selling it, I'm guessing it would start to look attractive to Favre pretty fast. It could reinvigorate his career, which the Packers cannot. Favre yearns not to pile up statistical records, which is about all he can do in Green Bay. Favre yearns to win. In Denver, he would join a 13-3 team accustomed to doing just that.

He would have at his disposal one of the NFL's best playbooks and some of its most expert coaching. The drawback, as he has said, would be starting over, learning a new system at his age.

Frankly, that shouldn't be much of a problem if the competitive fire still burns. All he has to do is study.

I'm just saying Shanahan could make a call. Maybe two.

[email protected]
                    -Bronco in UT

While I both agree and disagree with many posts in this thread I have to lean towards champ on this one. Jay really needs to learn how to manage the game better, and also to learn that you don't have to go for the big play EVERY time on every drive. There is something to be said to check the ball down and live to fight another day. -Great Post Cut the Excuses out please. sigh...

Helll of a post

Comment

How Do i lock this!!
                      -Bronco in UT

While I both agree and disagree with many posts in this thread I have to lean towards champ on this one. Jay really needs to learn how to manage the game better, and also to learn that you don't have to go for the big play EVERY time on every drive. There is something to be said to check the ball down and live to fight another day. -Great Post Cut the Excuses out please. sigh...

Helll of a post

Comment

Already been posted this guy is a moron he doesnt know anything about football. Just a suggestion from him.

Comment

I may not have been Jake's biggest fan since he got here, but he turned it around. Remember Elway's rise to the top when Shannahan arrived in Denver? It took him three years before he really started to shine in that offense. This past year was Jake's third year and I will have to say it was a good one.

I am now on the band wagon to keep Jake. We don't need to overhaul the team, we just need to tweek a few things and we should be back in the hunt for another Super Bowl.

SIG BY Snk 16

I adopted #50 Ben Hamilton. GO O-LINE.

Comment

Originally posted by Champ>NFL
                            How Do i lock this!!
                            You have to be a moderator

Or are you afraid of the responses you will recieve from this?

Thanks to B4Bronco6 for the sig!
                            RB #22 Wisconsin Badgers
                            Know this above all else. This life is your only life. So while you live life, make the most of every second, minute and hour that you have. Time stops for no one. Don't stop for time. Seize the day.
                            -Kobe Bryant-

Comment

Originally posted by PowerOverSpeed
                              Already been posted this guy is a moron he doesnt know anything about football. Just a suggestion from him.
                              He is a total moron
                              MMA News
                              MMA News 247

Comment

Working...
                              X