Walker's Contract Demands Make Trading Him A Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walker's Contract Demands Make Trading Him A Challenge

Although we've heard from a league source that the Green Bay Packers are willing to trade receiver Javon Walker if the price is right, Walker's price tag for a new contract is making it difficult for anyone to justify swinging a deal.

The problem is that, if a team like the Eagles or the Broncos sends a first-day pick to the Pack for the 2004 Pro Bowler, Walker's new team acquires his rights for only one year -- unless they sign him to an extension contemporaneous with the trade.

And Walker, we hear, wants $10 million to $12 million in guaranteed money. With only one solid NFL season after two less-than-stellar campaigns and a torn ACL suffered in Week One of the 2005 season, it's simply too much money to cough up.

It's the same problem that plagues efforts to trade Ashley Lelie of the Broncos and Donte' Stallworth of the Saints. Both have one year left of their deals, both want more than the market will bear, so neither will be swapped unless and until their expectations get far more reasonable.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
    sigpic

good point
    "If you fumble the ball, I will break off my foot in your John Brown hind parts; and then you will run a mile."My Adopted bronc is Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Maybe it's not such a great idea in getting him afterall, get the number 5 draft pick!

Comment

Business 101....skim the market first while you have the time to spare. Doesn't hurt to try for a few extra bucks while the opportunity presents itself.

As time draws closer, their expectations will lower and they will be snagged (Lelie and Walker) by someone. If not, they'll regret their greedy expectations. It could prove to be a humbling experience for these players... which would be a good thing for Denver's sake, no matter how it turns out with Lelie or Walker.

Comment

Both GB's and Walker's asking price are ridiculous.
          My blog : "A new machine" http://dgalemore.blogspot.com

R.I.P. Darrent Williams 1982-2007

Comment

Originally posted by keithbishop
            Both GB's and Walker's asking price are ridiculous.
            Hopefully they both come to grips with reality.
            John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

You don't think Shanahan or Philly didn't know what his contract demands where?

Comment

Isn't he coming off an injury? What makes him so valuable? Brett Favre made him what he is and h bit the hand that feeds...so...I think he would be useless in the Broncos team.

Have a question for me? "Ask AO" A Non-Feedback Thread. You'll be glad you did!

2003, 2009 Fantasy League Champion!
                2006, 2010 Fantasy League Runner-up

Comment

Firstly, I'd think ANY team interested in Walker would be bringing him in for a physical.
                  To date, I've not heard of denver doing this.

Secondly, even if he is signed to a new contract, with that kind of guaranteed money, spreading it out over 5-6 years brings it way down, making it absolutely workable, especially for a young #1 WR.
                  "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                  tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                  men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

I see nothing wrong with only signing him for one year. See if the injury affects him or not. But nobody coming off injury is worth that much money, but him and the number 5 pick just might be. If we could still aquire Javon and the number 5 pick, it might be something worth that dough. That number 5 pick is worth a lot of money...
                    You will always be a Bronco Darrent, R.I.P.

Comment

Even if we can afford him...

His contract demands make him someone I wouldn't want on our team.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos_mtnman
                        Even if we can afford him...

His contract demands make him someone I wouldn't want on our team.
                        Even if it'd give Jake another proven target?

Or, is that why you DON'T want him.........

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                        tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                        men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rcsodak
                          Even if it'd give Jake another proven target?

Or, is that why you DON'T want him.........

Let's see...

St. Jake can't hit the receivers he has. Why would a new one be any different?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos_mtnman
                            Let's see...

St. Jake can't hit the receivers he has. Why would a new one be any different?
                            This guy can compensate for "all" of those screwups.

Comment

If its true thatJavon wants to be one of the highest paid, that woudl annoy me to no end. We or Philly are diong him a favor by getting him out of GB where he desperately doesnt want to play. I can understand the hold up being GB doesnt want our offer. But if the hold up gets down to Javon being difficult to sign, well he can only blame himself for ebing stuck in GB next yr. Argh, the more I think about it, the more annoying it woudl be if true. I mean this guy goes off saynig he will never play for GB again.

I take that back, if Javon gets an overpriced contract we can really only blame ourselves. We or philly, whoeevr trades for him, have all the leverage, he desperately wants to leave, he will have to sacrifice some money to leave GB. Otherwise he wont leave GB. Its that simple. Denver will obv negotiate an extension prior to trading for him. Anything else woudl be lunacy. And at that pt, its a take it orleave it thing. PResent him with a fair offer, and if he doesnt want it, he stays in GB. No harm to us.

Comment

Working...
                              X